What Is Your Favorite Ship Class And Why?

Mine is the Voyager class. Big ship fun, manageable crowds. I think that Royal nailed the refurb on them, and I love the sports deck.

We have done Freedom, and Liberty is coming to our more easily accessible port (Galveston) with Oasis class upgrades. This is enticing, particularly the Saturday Night Fever show, but concerned about the crowds-Freedom was very crowded, although nicely appointed and immensely entertaining.

But wondering if some karaoke, some trivia, some good shows and fun ports might be much more enjoyable on a ship with 2000 PAX, not 4-6. At what point is classic cruising with elbow room just nicer on a smaller ship than BIG SHIP VEGAS cruising shoulder to shoulder? Give me your thoughts on this subject, thanks.

I agree with you, Voyager class is our favorite. It's always seemed noticibly less crowded than Freedom class to us.

Bob, were you on the Navigator before or after her dry dock and if after, how did she feel compared to the Freedom class. Curious as we have booked her for spring 2017.

I booked Freedom next week partially to answer this question. Freedom was my favorite up until going on Allure, then I realized several years had passed since being on Freedom. I'm sure my next review will be called FREEDOM VS ALLURE. I've been on Voyager and Navigator and like both of them a lot. I prefer the Freedom class for its larger solarium and best passenger to seat ratio in the Windjammer, though at a tender port, I'll probably like Voyager better.

Oh, been on Jewel twice and loved it.

Edited by BillOh

Bob, were you on the Navigator before or after her dry dock and if after, how did she feel compared to the Freedom class. Curious as we have booked her for spring 2017.

We were on Navigator after dry dock, and it did not feel as crowded as Freedom class.

I think my favorite is still Voyager Class .... although Oasis Class is awesome too! We sailed a few times on Voyager Class and then the Freedom. My first thought on the Freedom was it was way too big. I did find it more crowded. When my husband wanted to go on the Oasis, I had some misgivings and just couldn't imagine anything bigger than the Freedom. However, I was very surprised. We didn't find it crowded at all! We loved everything about it! Since then we've been back on Voyager Class and felt really comfortable, like 'going home again'. However, we are booked on the Allure in a few weeks and are really looking forward to it and anticipating another great trip! A lot is personal preference I think .... but I still love the Voyager Class! :)

Oasis class. The ship is so big that it's easy to find a place where nobody else is. Very easy.

Central Park being our favorite place.

We also find the wider Royal Prommenade easier to get through- so even though there are more people, the extra space makes it easier for us to deal with.

All in all, it's the different places one can go on the ship.

The live preference depends on what we are doing, though. Going to Alaska, and Canada- the small ships were awesome- and I expect the same when going to Europe this year.

Still, we always circle back to the Oasis and Allure when remembering our favorite places on a ship.

As of today Freedom class is my favorite. Will be doing Voyager class in October, then I will be able to compare those two when I do a review. Running a close second for me is Radiance class!

My favs in order of the ships I have been on thus far is:

1. Freedom

2. Serenade

3. Sovereign

4. Enchantment

:cool:

I think my favorite is still Voyager Class .... although Oasis Class is awesome too! We sailed a few times on Voyager Class and then the Freedom. My first thought on the Freedom was it was way too big. I did find it more crowded. When my husband wanted to go on the Oasis, I had some misgivings and just couldn't imagine anything bigger than the Freedom. However, I was very surprised. We didn't find it crowded at all! We loved everything about it! Since then we've been back on Voyager Class and felt really comfortable, like 'going home again'. However, we are booked on the Allure in a few weeks and are really looking forward to it and anticipating another great trip! A lot is personal preference I think .... but I still love the Voyager Class! :)

I agree the Oasis class was not as crowded as I might expect. I don't remember feeling the Freedom was that crowded, but that was my third cruise and 8 years ago. The only place we tendered our first trip was at Grand Caymen and our excursion was canceled so we didn't hurry ashore. This time I have a very early Royal excursion, so we will see how that goes.

Radiance is my favorite class, followed by Vision, Voyager and Freedom in that order. I am just in love with the smaller ships that really let you feel the ocean, which is my favorite part of cruising, plus, I love the outdoor dining area behind the WJ on Radiance. Voyager and Freedom classes both give me a shopping mall feel, it is easy to forget I am on a ship! Funny thing is, when I look at our cruise history, more than half of our cruises have been on Voyager or Freedom class so I guess we don't choose a cruise based on ship.:D

We have not cruised Oasis class, not really sure I want to. The idea of reserving entertainment does not appeal to me. Quantum looks beautiful from the pictures I've seen, but, again, I don't want to have to reserve stuff. IMO, both classes look more like resorts than ships, I think they probably would not give me that ocean feeling!:D

Sherri:)

Mine is the Voyager class. Big ship fun, manageable crowds. I think that Royal nailed the refurb on them, and I love the sports deck.

I agree with you, Voyager class is our favorite. It's always seemed noticibly less crowded than Freedom class to us.

Great thread! This question has been posted before and it's interesting to see the varied responses.... I'm with most of you so far with Voyager holding a soft spot in my heart, and the new refurbs (especially Navigator with Sabor) are excellent imho.... But unlike many on this forum, for me Voyager Class is followed very very closely by Quantum. And we'll see in my heart how I feel after I got on Anthem next year as I think Q Class will be taking over as my #1 fave :)

I agree with Bob, Freedom Class to me seemed way more crowded than Voyager. As of right now, my list of favorite classes is 1.Voyager, 2.Quantum, 3.Oasis, then a very large step down to 4.Vision (but not Legend or Splendour), 5.Freedom, 6.Radiance, 7. Legend, Splendour and Majesty down here

Radiance is my favorite class, followed by Vision, Voyager and Freedom in that order. I am just in love with the smaller ships that really let you feel the ocean, which is my favorite part of cruising, plus, I love the outdoor dining area behind the WJ on Radiance. Voyager and Freedom classes both give me a shopping mall feel, it is easy to forget I am on a ship!

Exactly the same for me. On the Radiance and Vision classes the emphasis is on what the ship is going by on the outside, which is why I cruise. On Voyager and above what's inside the ship is the focus, and to be honest to me would almost be the same experience if those ships were permanently tied up at some dock like the Queen Mary is. I'm not a fan of the mall at sea concept either, and now that their Viking Crowns are going away, the Oasis class seems to be taking that concept for the non-suite guests to the extreme (disclaimer: I haven't been on an Oasis class yet, but do have one booked to experience it for myself). I consider myself lucky to have Tampa as my nearest port, as the Sunshine Skyway bridge limits RCL to homing Radiance and/or Vision classes there, so I should have at least one of those fine ships to sail on every winter for the forseeable future.

I love the outdoor dining area behind the WJ on Radiance.

Sherri:)

Yes that is a plus on Radiance class! When we sailed on Serenade I knew about it from being on here at cruise critic, so we went straight out there during breakfast and lunch. Most people didn't discover out there until about day 3 but before that it would be just us and maybe people at four of the other tables. the first morning after we departed it was just us and people at one other table! :cool:

I have been on Sovereign, Vision, Radiance and Voyager classes. I will try Freedom class when the right itinerary comes along but I have no desire at all to try Oasis class or Quantum class, they just seem to be too much. My favorite is Voyager class. As others have mentioned it's big, but not too big. And the feeling of not being overcrowded is a huge plus. I like the Royal Promenade, there always seems to be something going on. The two pools on the pool deck are a nice amenity. And, of course, the skating rink offers options for entertainment also.