The Blob: Will It Terrorize Alaskan Cruises?

JCrewz

Has anyone else been following "The Blob"....that huge area of unusually warm water hugging most of the Alaskan coast?

It looks like the 6 degree increase in water temperature may be driving the marine wildlife out further to sea in search of cooler waters and their food sources.

Any CC members that can lend an opinion as to how the Alaskan cruises this summer may be affected? Less whales? More thunderstorms? Rougher seas? Retreating glaciers?

I hope it is not a big problem, but the media is really starting to hype it as a serious issue.

Edited by JCrewz
Omission

Gosh I hope not!! Sounds more like a sea monster not a weather phenomenon!!

Any idea what is causing it?

http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/cms/dn27362/dn27362-2_600.jpg

"Months later, fishermen and officials around Alaska reported sightings of species found in more temperate or even tropical waters, including skipjack tuna, thresher sharks and sunfish. Other marine species showed up thousands of kilometres north of their normal ranges, including pygmy killer whales and tropical species of copepods – tiny crustaceans that are key to marine food webs.

"I've never seen some of these species here before," says plankton expert Bill Peterson of the Northwest Fisheries Science Center in Seattle, Washington – part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration."

From New Scientist 4/16/2015.

http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/cms/dn27362/dn27362-2_600.jpg

"Months later, fishermen and officials around Alaska reported sightings of species found in more temperate or even tropical waters, including skipjack tuna, thresher sharks and sunfish. Other marine species showed up thousands of kilometres north of their normal ranges, including pygmy killer whales and tropical species of copepods – tiny crustaceans that are key to marine food webs.

"I've never seen some of these species here before," says plankton expert Bill Peterson of the Northwest Fisheries Science Center in Seattle, Washington – part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration."

From New Scientist 4/16/2015.

In't it amazing how wildlife adapts to any situation?

Worrisome.....

See glaciers now while you can.

On the one hand, Alaska had a amazingly warm winter but here in Boston, we had coldest and snowiest we've had in a great many years.

It's confusing.....

Edited by sail7seas

Worrisome.....

On the one hand, Alaska had a amazingly warm winter but here in Boston, we had coldest and snowiest we've had in a great many years.

It's confusing.....

Sail:

It's always nice to see a reply from you and to get the benefit of your expertise. If you look at some of the stories, prominent meteorologists are linking "The Blob" to the chaotic national weather.

I have heard that there is extensive concern about the glaciers receding and having to rename Glacier Bay by around 2020. Of course, I don't think anyone is serious about the name change.....but serious about the glaciers retreating substantially.

The big concern is whether the marine wildlife....most importantly to Alaska cruisers, the whales, will be spotted in much lower numbers. It also sounds as if there was much less snowfall this year with warmer water being sucked up into the clouds.

I agree that the beautiful landscape will not change and the food will taste the same on the ship. The concerns are more rainfall than average with the higher evaporation rate and less potential to see marine life.

I am surprised that the topic is not of more interest. it sounds like a potentially major development for the cruise industry and especially the excursion providers.

Worrisome.....

It's confusing.....

Thoughts...

• Everyone talks about seeing Sawyer in Tracy Arm.... all I saw was extinction.... that's why I suggest Glacier seekers should choose a Glacier Bay itinery.
  • has glacier retreat increased with the number of cruise ships cruising in the area?
  • I wonder if the glaciers are migrating East? So much snow on the East side of the Rocky/Cascade mountain ranges. Likely from the higher evaporation from the warm blob of water during the winter.
  • If anyone visits Mendenhall.... check out of the "trail of time". Hard to believe the glacier extended to today's visitor centre location in 1942. In a few more decades, the visitor centre will need to be moved closer to the glacier so it can be seen.
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5401525
    http://www.polar-remotesensing.alaska.edu/case_glacier/images/glacier_area.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Despegue View Post

But still there are some that do not believe in Global Warming...

😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩

Climate change/shift yes, global warming no.

Exactly, no such thing as Global warming , what a misleading couple of words, things have been changing for many many thousands of years

But still there are some that do not believe in Global Warming...:rolleyes:

"Global Warming"??? ... I thought the environmental alarmists had changed the nomenclature to "Climate Change" ... because the data do not support the claims of universal warming but rather regional climate changes (some up and some down) ...

Rod

Quote:

Originally Posted by Despegue View Post

But still there are some that do not believe in Global Warming...

Climate change/shift yes, global warming no.

Exactly, no such thing as Global warming , what a misleading couple of words, things have been changing for many many thousands of years

Thank you! You've hit the nail on the head in a nice short sentence without all the hype from the darn media. Well said.

Karen