HELP! I'm going to miss my ship !!! :(

Ranyw

Help !

I work as a personal assistant. I have to plan my vacations around my employer's schedule. I've booked my family on a cruise on May 3rd and it looks like I will be called into work :( :( . Of course the one time I didn't get the travel insurance this happens. Its a short cruise from Long Beach to Catalina island & Ensenada Mexico. My backup plan is to take a boat to the first stop and try to embark there. Has anyone else been thru this before ? Do I need to call carnival ahead of time ? I'm not 100% sure about any of the plans tho ??

This is like the worst feeling ever ...

I don't think I would allow a "job" to override an already planned and approved vaca. Probably wouldn't want to work for someone that wouldn't respect such plans. Of course this is me and am in an entirely different type of field than you are in. With that being said...enjoy your cruise and a new "job" awaits upon your return.

Don't think they'll allow this. They've gotten stricter doing these things.

If they do allow this it needs to be prearranged. Obviously they will not prorate the cost of the cruise.

Edited by SadieN

Good luck, but I doubt Carnival will allow you to board until maybe Ensenada, because if you board in Catalina, it becomes a violation of the Passenger Services Vessel Act of 1886 that says ships cannot transport people between 2 US ports without visiting a distant foreign port. The penalty is $300.

Would insurance even pay for this if you had it?

Depends on the policy. While several policies do have "cancel for work reasons" clauses, you need to read the fine print to see what is covered. Some will only refund if you can provide proof that you had vacation awarded and then rescinded. Other policies will only need a letter from the employer saying that the employee is required to work.

We had a similar situation back in 2010. I knew that I was up for a possible promotion which would've required me to go to training for a few months. Sure enough, I was sent to training beginning on the week when I was supposed to take the cruise. I asked my employer for a letter stating that I would be unable to go on a cruise because I'd be required to be in training. I sent the notarized letter to my insurance company along with other supporting documentation. A few weeks later, I received a 100% refund check in the mail (which I later applied towards a different cruise).

Help !

I work as a personal assistant. I have to plan my vacations around my employer's schedule. I've booked my family on a cruise on May 3rd and it looks like I will be called into work :( :( . Of course the one time I didn't get the travel insurance this happens. Its a short cruise from Long Beach to Catalina island & Ensenada Mexico. My backup plan is to take a boat to the first stop and try to embark there. Has anyone else been thru this before ? Do I need to call carnival ahead of time ? I'm not 100% sure about any of the plans tho ??

Obviously my first thought would be to agree with everyone else here that said to tell the employer that you're out of town on a pre-approved vacation, and too bad, they'll just have to manage without you.

IF...you decide that you are going to try and join the ship at the first stop...keep in mind that it's really not that easy to just "catch" a cruise ship. Once the ship sails and you're not onboard, you're basically removed from every roster. You will absolutely have to call Carnival in advance and make certain that they are VERY well aware of your plans. You won't be able to get anywhere near the cruise ship in the next port until port security verifies with the ship that they are expecting you.

I don't think I would allow a "job" to override an already planned and approved vaca. Probably wouldn't want to work for someone that wouldn't respect such plans.

I guess this piece of advice should depend on what type of job the OP has. If it's a job that's easily replaceable, I would say the same thing. If not, I wouldn't place a vacation ahead of the job. I know that in my case, quitting my company because of a canceled vacation would be career suicide and I'd be throwing away decades of my professional life. As much as it would stink if this happened to me, I would need to suck it up and forego the cruise.

Help !

sounds like you may no longer be within the window of booking trip insurance from a 3rd party, but you might check into it.

I don't think I would allow a "job" to override an already planned and approved vaca. Probably wouldn't want to work for someone that wouldn't respect such plans. Of course this is me and am in an entirely different type of field than you are in. With that being said...enjoy your cruise and a new "job" awaits upon your return.

If they are a personal assistant, they would have a close relationship with the boss. Any boss that treads on a known, planned, vacation with non recoverable money involved wouldn't be my boss upon return.

Good luck, but I doubt Carnival will allow you to board until maybe Ensenada, because if you board in Catalina, it becomes a violation of the Passenger Services Vessel Act of 1886 that says ships cannot transport people between 2 US ports without visiting a distant foreign port. The penalty is $300.

Take the hopper out to Catalina, and pay the $300 penalty if it means that much to them.

As an employer I love the pro work attitude. Lol. Im sure no boss wants to ruin a vacation. The reason must be significant and hopefully the boss will be considerate to the plight. There is always two sides. It's clear why the Chinese are kicking are butts!

As an employer I love the pro work attitude. Lol. Im sure no boss wants to ruin a vacation. The reason must be significant and hopefully the boss will be considerate to the plight. There is always two sides. It's clear why the Chinese are kicking are butts!

Yep, no getting around the old minimum wage, Mortimer. Who knows what the deal is. But if it was a planned vacation, and it's serious enough that the employer has to have it canceled, then the employee should be made whole.

But as it pertains to the situation at hand, I certainly would call Carnival for options. Hope it works out for the OP.

Yep, no getting around the old minimum wage, Mortimer. Who knows what the deal is. But if it was a planned vacation, and it's serious enough that the employer has to have it canceled, then the employee should be made whole.

But as it pertains to the situation at hand, I certainly would call Carnival for options. Hope it works out for the OP.

Agreed on your advice. I love the Mortimer joke!! You have to love those Duke Brothers! I do hope it works out or the OP employer covers the cruise.

Help !

How do you know you "might" be called in 10 days from now?

If you live by the port why not check in, board, get off the ship, miss the sail away and meet at the next port? That should take a small amount of time If planned properly and you won't have an issue at the next port. Just tell them you forgot something when you get off and then call rigbt before sailaway to inform them you missed the ship. At least you're on the manifest which should make everything easier.

If not I would voice my concerns to my employer and see how they want to move forward with this.