Lunch in Santorini

shofer

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have any suggestions for lunch in Santorini? Also any idea what would be the prime time to go back to the ship to avoid long lines at the cliff?

Thanks,

Sue

Unless you are really averse to farm smells the best way to avoid the long lines is to simply walk back down. It is easy, and scenic. Just watch out for mules and their souvenirs that they tend to leave behind.

We were in Oia last June and enjoyed lunch at Pelekanos. They have a rooftop view of all of Oia and its spectacular. If memory serves me correctly, the food was quite good. But the view was incredible!

There are plenty of cafes and restaurants in both Fira and Oia. DW and I tend to look at menus as we stroll around the towns and will sometimes also look for a view. Since daily menus (which are usually the best bargains and the freshest ingredients) change we also vary where we eat.

As to the lines (we assume you are referring to the upper cable car station) that is going to depends on the number of ships and their schedules. A majority of folks will try to get down within 1 1/2 hours of the last tender and unless you are willing to go down very early you will just have to put up with the lines. Of course you could also take a donkey or just walk (watch where you step).

Hank

• 3 weeks later...

Try to look for restaurants that feature local dishes and not just the usual tourist stuff. Santorini is especially known for their tomato fritters and favs bean purée. Sticking to things like moussaka and spanakopita would be like the tourists who go to Italy and eat pizza or spaghetti everywhere.

And another vote for walking down rather than the cable car. Can't imagine after a full day waiting in that line( mostly in the sun) just to avoid a fifteen minute walk unless you have mobility issues.Just make sure you have shoes with a little tred as the stone can be a little slippery.

Try to look for restaurants that feature local dishes and not just the usual tourist stuff. Santorini is especially known for their tomato fritters and favs bean purée. Sticking to things like moussaka and spanakopita would be like the tourists who go to Italy and eat pizza or spaghetti everywhere.

And another vote for walking down rather than the cable car. Can't imagine after a full day waiting in that line( mostly in the sun) just to avoid a fifteen minute walk unless you have mobility issues.Just make sure you have shoes with a little tred as the stone can be a little slippery.

Thanks for the information. I'm definitely going to look for what you suggested to eat. I'm glad you said it should only take 15 minutes to walk down even though I'm probably slower.

Walking down? The path is quite narrow and those donkeys take no prisoners. If there has been any rain the stones are extremely slippery and covered in donkey poo whatever the weather. By all means walk down as long as you are aware of the hazards.

Walking down? The path is quite narrow and those donkeys take no prisoners. If there has been any rain the stones are extremely slippery and covered in donkey poo whatever the weather. By all means walk down as long as you are aware of the hazards.

Most folks complain of the stench not that it is slippery. Lol. I'm prepared to walk down instead of standing in the hot sun for over an hour. If I step in donkey dung I guess I'll throw the shoes away and consider it good luck.

Spoke to my coworker today. She was born in Greece and her family lives in Rhodes. She visited Santorini last summer while on vacation. She took the donkeys up, and said it was the scariest thing ever. She walked down no problem. She used a taxi to get around. She said driving the hairpin turns is crazy she would never drive there nor her husband. Btw the pronunciation of Santorini in Greek really doesn't sound anything like the way I've been butchering it. :-)