Ketchikan Totem Question

baconlover1

We have a float plane scheduled for first thing in the morning. Was wondering which might be preferred, Totem Heritage Center or Saxman Native Village? I don't think we will have enough time for Totem Bight and do the other things we would like to do in town which is why I ruled that one out. Thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

I have done both and preferred Saxman. I was bored at the Heritage Center.

That is exactly what I was wondering about. Comparing the two online it appeared that Saxman might be a better choice but I wanted to hear from someone who had been there before. Thank you so much for your input.

We have a float plane scheduled for first thing in the morning. Was wondering which might be preferred, Totem Heritage Center or Saxman Native Village? I don't think we will have enough time for Totem Bight and do the other things we would like to do in town which is why I ruled that one out. Thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

I would rank the totem options in Ketchikan from best to worse as Totem Bight, Totem Heritage, and Saxman as a very distant third.

DON

That is exactly what I was wondering about. Comparing the two online it appeared that Saxman might be a better choice but I wanted to hear from someone who had been there before. Thank you so much for your input.

I have been to Alaska several times and on one tour, they included free admission to the Totem Heritage Center. I sort of wandered through and then wandered out. Unless it is pouring rain, it would take me quite a bit to get back in as when I am in Alaska, I want to be outside. I think admission is quite cheap so you can walk up to this if it raining.

Saxmen was "OK". It was better as there is a carving shed and the tour went in there and you can watch and see them in action and ask questions, I think there was a video in one area, a native dance and then someone took us around to several totem poles and explained what story each one probably told. Someone had mentioned years ago that you had to book through the ship to see the carver's shed. Not sure if that is true.

I have only seen Totem Bight from water. I had done a B2B once and arranged to go the following week with a tour operator and when I showed up the following week, he was only taking people to Saxmen. Another time I inquired, there was maintenance on the main street to get there so they were not doing it. On both cases, I wish I had booked with the ship as they had gone. I didn't bother taking the bus. I did see it from a far when doing a Totem Pole/Eagle/Guard Island Lighthouse boat ride and it did look beautiful. Totem Bight may be another option for you.

Edited by Coral

We loved Saxman, it was very interesting. We went by taxi ($6 each way) and paid an entrance fee (around $40/person I think--way less than a cruise tour). We met several of the women and young girls in the community house who were making native costumes while we were waiting for a Princess tour to join us. We had a movie in the community house that was fairly well done. Then we went to the native dancing which was really interesting. They had an adorable 4 year old dancing along with the teenagers and adult tribe members. They showed the audience the dance steps and some brave soles joined the tribe members in a dance. This was then followed by the totem area (which I agree were not numerous) and then to the carving shed where there was a carving demo.

Edited by pizzalady1

Totem Heritage Museum, is about, authentic totems and preserving these treasures. Saxman is a nice presentation, guided stories, about modern totems.

Very different, and would depend on what your interests are? Do you enjoy historic artifacts? Are you a museum goer? Or do you like walks outside?

Totem Heritage Museum, is about, authentic totems and preserving these treasures. Saxman is a nice presentation, guided stories, about modern totems.

Very different, and would depend on what your interests are? Do you enjoy historic artifacts? Are you a museum goer? Or do you like walks outside?

I do like historic artifacts and I also like to walk outside with nature, lol. I am torn because I like the historic value but I would also like to see how they are made. I was hoping to go to Cape Fox Lodge on the funicular. I imagine that will have modern totems. Is that correct?

I do like historic artifacts and I also like to walk outside with nature, lol. I am torn because I like the historic value but I would also like to see how they are made. I was hoping to go to Cape Fox Lodge on the funicular. I imagine that will have modern totems. Is that correct?

Yes, the Fox Lodge has "new" totems. Very enjoyable to see, if of interest. :) Could only take a few minutes, if short on time.

The Cape Fox Lodge is owned by the Cape Fox native corporation, so the totems outside the lodge are modern and are there to reflect the cultural heritage of the lodge's corporate owners. Someone who just wants a photo of themselves in front of a totem pole would be satisfied with these totems.

The Totem Heritage Center is a museum owned by the City of Ketchikan, and houses historic totems inside in a moisture controlled environment. While some are displayed upright, others are displayed horizontally so that the actual carving can be seen. There is also detailed information regarding the cultural significance of the poles. It is very easy to take the funicular up to Cape Fox Lodge and then walk down to the Totem Heritage Center.

I would rank the totem options in Ketchikan from best to worse as Totem Bight, Totem Heritage, and Saxman as a very distant third.

DON

Don, is there a charge for Totem Bight? If so, do you recall how much? Thanks.

The Cape Fox Lodge is owned by the Cape Fox native corporation, so the totems outside the lodge are modern and are there to reflect the cultural heritage of the lodge's corporate owners. Someone who just wants a photo of themselves in front of a totem pole would be satisfied with these totems.

The Totem Heritage Center is a museum owned by the City of Ketchikan, and houses historic totems inside in a moisture controlled environment. While some are displayed upright, others are displayed horizontally so that the actual carving can be seen. There is also detailed information regarding the cultural significance of the poles. It is very easy to take the funicular up to Cape Fox Lodge and then walk down to the Totem Heritage Center.

Thank you so much for this information. You read so much online and it can get overwhelming as to which is better suited for our trip. I think I am going to stick with the original plan which is the Heritage Center. I wish we had time for Totem Bight but I think we will be pressed for time to make it back.

Thank you so much for this information. You read so much online and it can get overwhelming as to which is better suited for our trip. I think I am going to stick with the original plan which is the Heritage Center. I wish we had time for Totem Bight but I think we will be pressed for time to make it back.

I go to the Totem Heritage Center every time I get to Ketchikan. For me it is one of the most truly spiritual places I have ever visited.

Enormous thanks to Budget Queen for having mentioned it to me initially :) and <3 (that one won't translate to a heart, but believe me my thanks are heartfelt!)

I go to the Totem Heritage Center every time I get to Ketchikan. For me it is one of the most truly spiritual places I have ever visited.

Enormous thanks to Budget Queen for having mentioned it to me initially :) and <3 (that one won't translate to a heart, but believe me my thanks are heartfelt!)

My most sincere, you're welcome. :)

I am the opposite. I went once and really was bored. I would do Totem Bight or Saxmen. Much more interesting.