Oosterdam - Why no mention of her lately?

sail7seas

This is the cruise that Chief is on, from what I can tell they did run into alot of rough weather. erewhon might be able to answer your question better as she lives down under though I think now the Oosterdam is heading up to the South Pacific Islands and Hawaii. Then she would be heading towards her summer home in Alaska.

Edited by PathfinderEss

Thanks, Melodie. Seeing she is not returning to Australia, must have been sad for some when she left Australia. She should be in Alaska in a few weeks then,,,,, yes?

Yes, we're going to be on her first Northbound Alaska cruise on May 10. Can't wait. :D

Your welcome Sails. I believe the cruise Chief signed up for was 36 days. Sounded like a fun trip especially coming up thru the Islands. Yes I would think there were some sad people to see her go, as it was when she left the West Coast.

Today Sunday 26th, Oosterdam will be in Suva, Fiji, as she makes her way across the Pacific, heading for the Alaska season.

We met with aliaschief and his wife when the Oosterdam visited Akaroa, (April 10th), they had boarded in Auckland, they said that the Oosterdam is in good shape:D

We were able to give them the sad news that the next day, Oosterdam would miss visiting Port Chalmers (Dunedin) and Milford Sound the following day, due to expected bad weather.

That morning, we had watched the Oosterdam arriving into Akaroa Harbour, then watched her leaving.

Her departure marked the end of cruise ship visits to Akaroa for the summer season.

I was on her in Feb for the cruise around New Zealand. First time on this ship and I really liked her. Would sail her again in a heartbeat. Weather wise we had to stay in Sydney overnight instead of sailing at 4pm due to weather (so much for sailaway) and we set sail at 4am instead. We were rocking and rolling a bit for the first two days then had no real issues. We made it into all ports (one tender port it took us 50 min in the tender to reach shore due to waves). We enjoyed our visit "down under" and really enjoyed the Captain and her crew.

It seems an age since I've read anything here about Oosterdam.

Surely some CC'ers must have sailed her 'down under'.

Any comments?

I'm scheduled to sail on the Oosterdam in January of 2016. The Oosterdam will be in the Caribbean for the 2016 winter season. I've done a little research on this particular ship. It would appear that the ship is looking a little worn and tired. Some reviewers have accused Holland America Line as not being prudent in maintaining and repairing the ship's infrastructure. She will be going into "dry dock" during the winter season as well.

The OOSTERDAM will operate 10 and 11 day Caribbean cruises from Fort Lauderdale combinable into one 21 day Collectors Cruise...in later March proceeds across the Atlantic to drop off passengers then go to the shipyard at Palermo where they will add 25 passenger cabins in what is now open deck space - the NOORDAM had such a treatment already, the ZUIDERDAM is getting her additional 25 cabins now (or just finished). The NOORDAM will take the Australia/New Zealand itineraries that the OOSTERDAM operated this past season

I think she's going to be on the East Coast after the Alaska Season. I wonder if Tampa or FLL?

s7s, we're booked on the "O" (out of FLL) next January, so I assume that will be her winter home ... at least for 2015-16 ...

Rod

I believe Ft. Lauderdale in 2015-6 and Tampa in 2016-7. Sometime before Tampa a section of her mast will be configured to fold down to go under the bridge.

Roy

Thank you for the info. I enjoyed our cruise on Oosterdam and so did my husband. Sailing out of Tampa is on my bucket list. I hope it works out for me to do that cruise.

I was on her in Feb for the cruise around New Zealand. First time on this ship and I really liked her. Would sail her again in a heartbeat. Weather wise we had to stay in Sydney overnight instead of sailing at 4pm due to weather (so much for sailaway) and we set sail at 4am instead. We were rocking and rolling a bit for the first two days then had no real issues. We made it into all ports (one tender port it took us 50 min in the tender to reach shore due to waves). We enjoyed our visit "down under" and really enjoyed the Captain and her crew.

The OOSTERDAM will operate 10 and 11 day Caribbean cruises from Fort Lauderdale combinable into one 21 day Collectors Cruise...in later March proceeds across the Atlantic to drop off passengers then go to the shipyard at Palermo where they will add 25 passenger cabins in what is now open deck space - the NOORDAM had such a treatment already, the ZUIDERDAM is getting her additional 25 cabins now (or just finished). The NOORDAM will take the Australia/New Zealand itineraries that the OOSTERDAM operated this past season

Thanks everyone for good information about the beautiful Oosterdam.

Sounds like all good news.

Happy I asked. :)

Everyone with upcoming cruise on her, hope you have a wonderful time.