What kind of water is it?

I have only seen Evian on the "purchase package" on several RCI ships...just like what's in the mini-fridge.

However just off Mariner (Asia) and we had 9 bottles of a brand from Malaysia (?) in our cabin...comp as we didn't order any beverage package...

This may have only been an Asian itinerary thing...but it was very welcomed as the tap water the first few nights was a bit brownish.

The ship's tap water is generally very good, and is often times better than bottled water anyway. I don't get what people's obsession with bottled water is...It has it's purposes, but as a source of water it's sort of abused.

That said, i really really like Evian :p

edit: Also, I do understand some places do have some pretty rough well and city water...so there's that, but try the ship's water, you may like it ;)

Edited by splash_in_the_water

The ship's tap water is generally very good, and is often times better than bottled water anyway. I don't get what people's obsession with bottled water is anyway...It has it's purposes, but as a source of water it's sort of abused.

We have found that the use of bottled water on board tends to prevent ankle swelling.

Bottled water...comes from a tap somewhere!

The ship's tap water is generally very good, and is often times better than bottled water anyway. I don't get what people's obsession with bottled water is...It has it's purposes, but as a source of water it's sort of abused.

edit: Also, I do understand some places do have some pretty rough well and city water...so there's that, but try the ship's water, you may like it ;)

Evian spelt backwards is "naive"! :D:p

At home I drink tap water exclusively, but when travelling it´s often much easier to use bottled water. Yes I know it is tap water as well, but it´s from a safe tap / source. I don´t necessarily trust the piping in Hotels, especially in foreign countries.

I do drink the ships water, but I have to say there is times when it has an odd taste. Most of the times it is just fine, but sometimes I can´t drink it.

I typically I don't comment when people say they don't understand the 'bottled water obsession' or something along those lines... but since you added the edit, I decided to add my 2 cents.

I don't drink soda, iced tea, or gatorade etc. I only drink bottled water...and believe it or not I can taste the difference between my regular brand and the others out there... I guess its just like people can taste the difference between Pepsi and Coke, I can't.

Due to chronic kidney stones I need to drink about 3 liters of water a day. Bottled water makes it easier to measure it. Plus the Well water where we live, has kind of a salty taste.

I guess what I was getting at, along with city and well water, some people also have medical reasons for preferring bottled water.

Edited by LilBlackDress

I have a theory, not much of one, but works for me, definitely not scientific! :) :D

Unless I'm in a 3rd world country, very questionable place, I drink tap water, in hotels, ships, restaurants, everywhere. In Europe, I don't worry about the pipes carrying the water. Years ago, I might if I stayed in one place for days. Twenty five years ago in what was East Berlin, the hotel had a sign in the bathroom about drinking the water. I drank it anyway.

Personally, for me, better to drink different types of water, then if I have to, might not be an issue. I can afford bottled water but why would I when water is available? As to the taste, drinking all different kinds, has to have a strong mineral or sulfur taste for me to think twice. Reason being, strong spring water will clean out your system.

Motto from French Lick, Indiana, famous for their water, a motto "if nature won't, Pluto water will"! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluto_Water

Edited by susancruzs

Evian spelt backwards is "naive"! :D:p

When water is purified by the methods used onboard ships, trace minerals and other elements found in "natural" water are all lost. These are introduced back by additives (such as those used in home water treatment processes). One of these elements is sodium. Morton Salt is the leading manufacturer of water treatment products (I've observed stacks of these on the dock waiting to be loaded onto the ship). There is no way of knowing how much sodium is in the drinking water onboard. Those who notice additional swelling while cruising, frequently find relief by just switching to bottled water,

Evian is a low sodium product.