naughty room issues with sunscreen

Ok having read all the drinks threads that kept going on about smuggling I looked at the stuff being used and now I am worried.

I will have about 4 bottles liquid of sun-cream and a few more tubes of a face cream type (minimum I may have more) and they look very very like the ones used to smuggle :eek:-

Has anyone ended up at the naughty room because of sun-cream - if so did they then take your case back to your room for you when they realised their mistake.

Ok having read all the drinks threads that kept going on about smuggling I looked at the stuff being used and now I am worried.

I will have about 4 bottles liquid of sun-cream and a few more tubes of a face cream type (minimum I may have more) and they look very very like the ones used to smuggle :eek:-

Has anyone ended up at the naughty room because of sun-cream - if so did they then take your case back to your room for you when they realised their mistake.

Jar of olives (large). Had to take back to room myself.

As long as it is sunscreen, you have no need to be worried. If they pull your bag they will look a the tubes and may ask you to open one. One tube of sun screen is not a red flag, but 4 bottles and a few face creams can certainly call attention to one's luggage. Sort of like packing the 32oz bottle of mouthwash for the weekend cruise! We've had bags pulled for infractions as well as for a simple bottle of water. No big deal. If your bag is pulled, staff are respectful and in our experience have never opened our bag unless we were present. When you and your bag are released, you will be responsible for taking the bag to your cabin.

enjoy, and try not to get so much sun. :D

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

[quote name=cruisegirl1;

enjoy' date=' and try not to get so much sun. :D

M[/quote]

I am not allowed any sun - thus the sun-cream - its supplied by the hospital I bath in it every day - even in Scottish winters. It's special stuff so I can't just buy extra if I run out. I also have a sun umbrella for trips out and I am easy to spot at the end of a trip - I am the white (nearly blue) skinned person :o

Edited by fragilek

If I were you, I'd transfer the sunscreen to your carry-on prior to boarding (if you're flying, it will naturally be in a checked bag).

That way you won't have to worry about the naughty room or being stuck without it if you need to reapply before your bags arrive to your room.

They might look. One time they didn't close a bottle and it leaked all over my bag. Made a nice mess. Cruise line replaced my bag though.

Lesson learned - toiletries into many different zip lock bags and all bottles that click open (sunscreen, shampoo, conditioner, etc.) I tape the tops on and I bring a little role of duct tape to keep the tops closed at the end too. Sure beats a mess.

We go through sunscreen like water and so always have multiple bottles too.

I had my bag held for additional screening once- I mistakenly packed a steamer iron and it showed up on x-ray. They were very nice and respectful. They asked permission to open the bag and inspect it. I had to open it for them since it was locked. They were careful not to mess up anything and when they were done they let me take my bag back to my cabin. The whole process took less than 5 minutes.

By the way- while they were searching they found my wife's hair iron and assumed it was what showed up on the x-ray. Since they're allowed they stopped searching and said have a nice cruise.

Unless you're smuggling contraband getting your bag pulled for additional screening is nothing to worry about. A minor inconvenience maybe but nothing more than that.

Our experience was similar to those who have posted before...

I packed several bottles of sun screen and aloe (I'm quite fair skinned and burn easily) in both mine and my husband's bags. I also packed full size shampoo, conditioner, and mouth wash as we weren't limited to airline size restrictions. All liquids were packed in ziploc baggies.

We did have to go to the naughty room - my bag had been flagged, hubby's wasn't. They were very respectful and careful not to make a mess. When the guy helping us saw it was my shampoo and conditioner that was flagged, he laughed and said enjoy your cruise! We carried the bag to our room and had a wonderful cruise!

I wouldn't worry.

On our Enchantment cruise last month we had sun screen and aloe but what got my bag pulled was a bottle of mouth wash. :eek: My wife's bag made it to the room but mine didn't and I didn't get any notification. I went to guest services and that is how I found out.

On Enchantment there was no "Naughty Room"! The place for this was in a roped off area in the photo sales area with everybody walking by. All the detained luggage was there and you had to point out your bag. You opened your bag and they pointed out what was in question (Mouthwash) opened it and took a sniff, said it was ok and sent me on my way with no apology!

I am not allowed any sun - thus the sun-cream - its supplied by the hospital I bath in it every day - even in Scottish winters. It's special stuff so I can't just buy extra if I run out. I also have a sun umbrella for trips out and I am easy to spot at the end of a trip - I am the white (nearly blue) skinned person :o

Hi fragilek,

First, I am not trying to offend just help.

You say that the cream is from the hospital and that you aren't allowed in the sun, if this is a medical complaint that you have had for a considerable time (i.e. over 1 year) it would be considered a disability and as such you would be covered by the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA or USA equivalent) and as such you should be afforded reasonable adjustment, namely brining your medication. I would contact Royal Caribbean and let them know that you will be bringing a large amount of sun cream, they will send you a form asking for details, fill it in and send it off to them.

Pete

did you get to keep your olives?

We may need to do a rethink and keep another case as hand luggage (we have one for medication). With the wheelchair we were hoping only to keep 1 larger piece to carry about.

Anything that is suspect and turns out to be OK , will not be kept. Olives are certainly not on any prohibited list. If something is in a wrong container they will discard the contents and you may or may not get the container back. If you have sunscreen in a sunscreen container you should have no concern.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Hi fragilek,

You say that the cream is from the hospital and that you aren't allowed in the sun, if this is a medical complaint that you have had for a considerable time (i.e. over 1 year) it would be considered a disability and as such you would be covered by the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA or USA equivalent) and as such you should be afforded reasonable adjustment, namely brining your medication. I would contact Royal Caribbean and let them know that you will be bringing a large amount of sun cream, they will send you a form asking for details, fill it in and send it off to them.

Pete

Not offended at all - never thought of that, I have already had to tell them other stuff just never thought of the sun-cream as medical before as everyone uses it - will do that - not sure if it will help my bag make it to my room but it might make it easier if I take it hand luggage so explain why I have a bad full of creams:)

Hi fragilek,

Pete

What a great idea! I'm surprised I didn't think of this.

I also have a medical condition that requires me to bring syringes, needles, and medicine in glass bottles with me. I had NO problem bringing any of this with us. They simply ran it through the machine and handed it back to me. I always carry a letter from my doctor explaining what medical condition I have as well as what medicine and supplies I will be bringing.

If I were you, I'd transfer the sunscreen to your carry-on prior to boarding (if you're flying, it will naturally be in a checked bag).

That way you won't have to worry about the naughty room or being stuck without it if you need to reapply before your bags arrive to your room.

This is what I suggest too!

I would be more concerned with packing medication (and that's what the sunblock is in this case) in my checked luggage for an overseas flight. Worst case with RC is you get called to the naughty room, they see what it is and send you on your merry way with the sunblock, but if your checked luggage were to be delayed or lost you wouldn't have it at all. Surely there must be security exceptions for medically necessary (with documentation, of course) prohibited items or sizes of items?

I will be boarding with 36 cans slimline tonic, 12 bottles speciality tonic, large bottle quality balsamic vinegar and 12 bottles of my favourite sparkling water. Done it all before (except the balsamic) and never been pulled over. (Plus some champagne In my hand luggage possibly)

If I were you, I'd transfer the sunscreen to your carry-on prior to boarding...

Absolutely agree. Just takes a moment and there are no restrictions on permitted liquids when boarding the ship.

On our Enchantment cruise last month we had sun screen and aloe but what got my bag pulled was a bottle of mouth wash.

Yep - I am rethinking my Scope mouthwash on our upcoming Celebrity cruise because of this. Never had a bag detained and don't want to start now. :o:p

Just like the airlines, if something is prescription or a medical need, best put it in your carry-on. That way if they have any question, you can get it looked after right away and save yourself a trip to the naughty room.

The reason you have to go is they don't open your bag without you being there to see it. So if there is something suspicious in your bag, they will hold it. Once that is done, unless you require assistance, you have to take the bag back up yourself.

unless you require assistance, you have to take the bag back up yourself.

Ah that may help - I am in a wheelchair (or use trolley-sticks)- that's why I was asking in the first place. I am not able to take my scooter on this trip so the less stuff we have to lug about the better.

Ah that may help - I am in a wheelchair (or use trolley-sticks)- that's why I was asking in the first place. I am not able to take my scooter on this trip so the less stuff we have to lug about the better.

I would imagine that in a wheelchair, they will assist you in getting a bag to your cabin. If they won't I can only hope another passenger will assist you if necessary.

M