Voyager Class vs. Freedom Class

Since I've never seen it in person, I guess so! Thanks for snapping those pics. These are the first pics I've seen of the new cabins

You mean you didn't read my review??? All that work for nothing! :(

Have been on adventure and independence , preferences indy , the early er voyager class ships have steel balconies whereas indy have glass.

The extra width if the promenade is noticeable. We went on adventure after indy so it was noticeably narrower.

After a few days it's easy to fire which shop you are on :o

Have been on adventure and independence , preferences indy , the early er voyager class ships have steel balconies whereas indy have glass.

The extra width if the promenade is noticeable. We went on adventure after indy so it was noticeably narrower.

After a few days it's easy to fire which shop you are on :o

No difference in Promenade width between Voyager and Freedom class. Longer on Freedom class, but same width.

Edited by clarea

You mean you didn't read my review??? All that work for nothing! :(

No I read it, but didn't recall seeing that particular cabin on there. I'm so sorry! You are a wealth of information!

And I have yet to write my review!

Edited by A2Mich

No I read it, but didn't recall seeing that particular cabin on there. I'm so sorry! You are a wealth of information!

And I have yet to write my review!

It was in one of the links - the one that said cabins (if I recall correctly, it was the first link after the written review).

Edited by Cuizer2

It was in one of the links - the one that said cabins (if I recall correctly, it was the first link after the written review).

My bad. I had forgotten that you had those links in there. I was trying to do a search here on CC and came up with very little. I remember that you had tons of cabin photos but had forgotten where they were. I'm still confused as to the classification of that particular cabin. On RCI's website, it lists it as a P2 under cabin options. On the deck plans, it's listed as a cat F until early 2016, and then is listed as a P2 after that. Not sure why the confusion as to its designation. Probably just Royal's wonderful IT dept.

My bad. I had forgotten that you had those links in there. I was trying to do a search here on CC and came up with very little. I remember that you had tons of cabin photos but had forgotten where they were. I'm still confused as to the classification of that particular cabin. On RCI's website, it lists it as a P2 under cabin options. On the deck plans, it's listed as a cat F until early 2016, and then is listed as a P2 after that. Not sure why the confusion as to its designation. Probably just Royal's wonderful IT dept.

All is forgiven. :)

Guest maddycat

Is there a hot tub, steam room and sauna in the spa area on Freedom class ships? If so, is it free or is there a charge to use the area. My DH really enjoyed those features on the Explorer when we sailed on her from NJ.

Is there a hot tub, steam room and sauna in the spa area on Freedom class ships? If so, is it free or is there a charge to use the area. My DH really enjoyed those features on the Explorer when we sailed on her from NJ.

Separate male and female steam and sauna areas in the fitness center, no extra charge.

We went on Independence as our first ship then Adventure as our second. At the time we noticed no real difference at all, but afterwards looking back at photos we realised there were some differences.

We missed watching the Flowrider, but our next cruise on Explorer will have this.

We missed having both Sorrento's and Cafe Promenade, but it took a while to notice there was a venue missing.

Overall, the space on the ship didn't feel much different, just a couple of small differences.

The main thing we noticed was the balconies on the cabins. We lucked out on a E2 hump balcony on Indy then had a deck 6 E1 balcony on Adventure. The difference was quite staggering. The balcony on Indy could have taken proper lounge chairs whereas on Adventure the balcony was almost half the size (tiny!) and being deck 6 was nearly all metal meaning it didn't feel so open to the ocean. The cabin also felt a lot smaller.

Going from Voyager to Freedom class therefore I think will be much easier than going in the opposite direction.

Guest maddycat
Separate male and female steam and sauna areas in the fitness center, no extra charge.

Thanks. My husband will be very happy.

• 3 months later...

We will be taking our 2nd cruise on Navigator (Voyager class) in November. She was the very first ship we ever sailed on back in 2004. We have enjoyed very much the Freedom class ships (Liberty and Indy) that we have sailed on....and I would almost say that Freedom class is the one I like the best. I look forward to being on Nav again and know that it will almost be as if we are on a totally different ship, since she has had a major refurb with many additions especially flowrider....which is GREAT.

I wish it had an On Air lounge, because that venue was designed for Karaoke and it makes Karaoke so much more fun for the participants.

We have sailed Navigator (Voyager class), twice since refurbished and now it has almost same features as larger ship, but I felt it was slightly more crowded than before refurbish.

When Nav had her refurb they also added a lot of cabins and took away 'public' areas that were under utilized, which would therefore have more people using the other areas.

I am looking forward to sailing on her again....Nav was the ship that started our love of cruising.

I will never forget that feeling of walking onto that ship to see the overhead with Royal Promenade brilliantly in front of us. I thought I was on the Love Boat with the staff/crew saying 'Hello'.

Now we arrive so early and board early that we don't get the "Hello"...but that is fine.

Been on Voyager class many times. The only time on Freedom class was a Transatlantic on Liberty. It was Very Crowded! Long queues for breakfast and lunch, both at WJ and MDR, guest services, and real difficulty getting into the shows.

I suspect on a port intensive cruise it would be far less noticeable but on the TA it really felt as though the extra size was all more cabins and no public areas.

We also just snagged 1802 on Freedom for March 18, 2017. Were just in a Family Promenade with 5 of us and next up will only be 3, so have a better selection of cabins to pick from. We were originally booked in 8214 for 3/17, but was online last night and found that we could switch to 1802 for $80 total additional, so we went for it.

We will be in cabin 1804 (Family Panoramic Oceanview) on the Freedom the week prior to you. Be sure you try to take a peek into 1804 when you are in 1802 to see how large it is. We are really looking forward (get the pun...it is right at the front of the ship;) on the bow) to having that cabin.

We've been on Indy twice and explorer once. We much prefer the freedom class for lots of reasons already mentioned. We also think that the difference between the glass balconys on Indy and the steel balconys on explorer make the freedom class nicer looking.

The Adventure, Voyager and Explorer have the older style balconies with metal railing, but Navigator and Mariner have the glass balconies just like the Freedom, which are also cantilevered out, just like Freedom.

The freedom class is my favorite class of ship. I have sailed both the navigator and the explorer. You will find the freedom class feeling right at home. They navigate the same and are very similar creatures. As others have said, you have the flow rider and the cantilevered hot tubs ( if you will use either of those things)

You have made a great choice.. and cant go wrong with either of these ship classes...

I did not find either one less or more crowded than the other. I think its based on your particular sailing, and of course, what your view of crowded is.

We also just snagged 1802 on Freedom for March 18, 2017. Were just in a Family Promenade with 5 of us and next up will only be 3, so have a better selection of cabins to pick from. We were originally booked in 8214 for 3/17, but was online last night and found that we could switch to 1802 for $80 total additional, so we went for it.

Which of your two of three kids did you sell? Wish I had known, I would have made an offer on one of them. :)

Edited by Cuizer2

Which of your two of three kids did you sell? Wish I had known, I would have made an offer on one of them. :)

Haha. No, we decided that the girls will stay with their aunt for the next cruise. The kids still talk about you every so often. They're good kids, just a bit hectic with all 3. My son mentioned not too long ago "hey dad, remember that man at the beach who was giving us bread to feed the fish?" Nice that they remember, though. Of course they have been wanting to go to California......

Haha. No, we decided that the girls will stay with their aunt for the next cruise. The kids still talk about you every so often. They're good kids, just a bit hectic with all 3. My son mentioned not too long ago "hey dad, remember that man at the beach who was giving us bread to feed the fish?" Nice that they remember, though. Of course they have been wanting to go to California......

That was actually a lot of fun for me too. Tell your son hello for me. :)

Edited by Cuizer2

Hi. I just booked a cruise for next year on the Freedom of the Seas (Freedom Class). I have been on three cruises on the Voyager Class (2 on Explorer and 1 on Mariner) looking at everything they both have to offer, they look similar - except the Freedom class is a larger boat AND it offers the FlowRider. Is there anything else that I will be wowed away with?

Don't get me wrong, I love Royal Caribbean and am ALWAYS wowed away, but just wondering if this will be just a larger version of the Explorer and Mariner, which I have been on.

Thanks for any information.

I wonder why I didn't see this thread til now. Its because I was on Freedom the day you wrote it, It was my 2nd time on Freedom, but first in 7 years. I had to remind myself why it was my favorite ship. Having been on a Voyager class, you will quickly adapt and be familiar with this ship. My particular favorites are the larger solarium pool area and the best side Wjindjammer to passenger ratio making it similar but a little less crowded. you will have a good time.

Freedom is our favorite ship class so far. Although haven't been on Oasis class yet.

Freedom was our favorite class of ship till going on Allure. After that my wife said Allure was her favorite, but I had to go back on Freedom again to refresh my memory after 7 years, and some changes. Now having been back on Freedom, and it will be 3 years since I got off Allure, I have to go try Oasis to refresh my memory there, and those ships are changing. I keep spending more money and I can't make up my mind.