Summit's return to New Jersey, a nice surprise.

captdave

Brand New Cape Liberty Cruise Port Terminal, from the dock. Summit is returning this week for the first time with this new facility.

Opened in May of 2004, the cruise port is located on The Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor, formerly the Bayonne Navy Base/MOTBY facility.

EWR Airport is 10 miles away by road, or about 5 miles straight off the end of this dock to the west (no helicopter...I use the road).

17292922311_aa8bd86a2a_c.jpg

CaptDave

Brand New Cape Liberty Cruise Port Terminal, from the dock. Summit is returning this week for the first time with this new facility.

Opened in May of 2004, the cruise port is located on The Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor, formerly the Bayonne Navy Base/MOTBY facility.

EWR Airport is 10 miles away by road, or about 5 miles straight off the end of this dock to the west (no helicopter...I use the road).

17292922311_aa8bd86a2a_c.jpg

CaptDave

Happy she's back, Bayonne very distinguished service there during WWII, much of HBO series

OZ was filmed around the terminal. 4 weeks to go for me.

I'm looking forward to checking out the new terminal on our LOS sailing in July.

While the old terminal was bare bones, we found it easy to sail into & out of, even with the dopey shuttle bus set up.

I'm looking forward to checking out the new terminal on our LOS sailing in July.

While the old terminal was bare bones, we found it easy to sail into & out of, even with the dopey shuttle bus set up.

So, does this mean the dopey shuttle from the terminal to the ship is gone?? Hope so.

I will be doing my first cruise out of Cape Liberty this week. So far, I am totally unimpressed w the terminal. Their WEB site is a disaster. The transportation options after the cruise are non-existent. I have been trying to figure out how to get from the terminal to Manhattan w/o spending ~$120 on a car service. Thus far, the only option seems to be to take an expensive taxi ride to Newark Airport and then get to NYC from EWR by public transport.

It might not be as bad as it seems once I do it but we will see.

DON

Can't seem to paste the url here but the port website provides public transportation information.

A quick Google search under port liberty public transportation provided the results. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

There is a light rail line right outside of the port complex that can be taken north to connect to the path train or ferry to go to NYC. Check it out.

We are going on the Summit this Sunday, will be fun not to have to use the buss to the ship!

The wife and I just pay the $100+ Town Car Service from Northwestern NJ (each way).

Pretty nice car ride, not a dirty cab.

We can bring EVERYTHING!!!

Don't worry about the car while we are away (this is NJ near NYC & Newark).

We get there early and enjoy every minute of out Celebrity Summit Adventure.

CaptDave

I will be doing my first cruise out of Cape Liberty this week. So far, I am totally unimpressed w the terminal. Their WEB site is a disaster. The transportation options after the cruise are non-existent. I have been trying to figure out how to get from the terminal to Manhattan w/o spending ~$120 on a car service. Thus far, the only option seems to be to take an expensive taxi ride to Newark Airport and then get to NYC from EWR by public transport.

It might not be as bad as it seems once I do it but we will see.

DON

Not sure why you are claiming you can't figure out how to get from the terminal to Manhattan. The website is pretty clear and very detailed. You don't need to take a very expensive cab ride if you are willing to deal with mass transit.

Did you miss this?

*Taken from the website http://www.cruiseliberty.com/dirpark.htm

Public Transportation

• By Train

Take the PATH train from Manhattan to Jersey City or Hoboken. Outside the PATH Station, take the NJ Hudson-Bergen Light Rail train to Bayonne. Get off at the 34th Street Station in Bayonne. You are now directly across Route 440 from The Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor, which includes the Cape Liberty Cruise Port. Call one of the three Bayonne cab companies to drive you to the cruise port, which is about two miles east of the Light Rail line. (Highlighted link for cab companies - http://www.bayonnenj.org/residents/public-transportation/)

• By Bus

From the Port Authority Bus Terminal, take the 99S bus to Bayonne. The 99S bus travels along Kennedy Boulevard into Bayonne and stops on request every three blocks. When you reach 33rd Street and Kennedy Boulevard in Bayonne, you will be at the closest point on the bus route to the cruise port. Call one of the three Bayonne cab companies to drive you to the cruise port, which is about three miles east of Kennedy Boulevard.

Edited by DinaS

Dina that sounds simple, but with luggage I'd just spring for the car service.

Oh, I completely AGREE!

I'd absolutely spring for the $100+ cab ride over schlepping my bags on mass transit :)

It appears that Don (donaldsc) wanted a less expensive way to go, and it didn't seem that he was able to find it on the website.

As far as I am concerned, my vacation starts when I leave my house for the cruise. I'd rather spend an extra $100 to get to the port comfortably, than drag my bags over hill and dale :)

CaptDave -- Thanks for posting that picture! We're boarding Summit in less than a month -- looking forward to Bayonne's brand-new cruise terminal! :cool:

Me too!! But they never built the indoor parking garage they said the were going to when they first announced the new terminal for RCCL's Quantum.

As for less expensive options, it's the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT) everything here is expensive. It's $19 a day just to park at the port.

Car service from CT to Newark is just under $400 round trip.

Edited by CruisingChick

Me too!! But they never built the indoor parking garage they said the were going to when they first announced the new terminal for RCCL's Quantum.

As for less expensive options, it's the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT) everything here is expensive. It's $19 a day just to park at the port.

Car service from CT to Newark is just under $400 round trip.

Very true, try parking in midtown without some sort of coupon on your show tickets:eek:!

Our limo driver tells us that all drivers hate to go to the NY & Bayonne piers; big hassle.

Not sure why you are claiming you can't figure out how to get from the terminal to Manhattan. The website is pretty clear and very detailed. You don't need to take a very expensive cab ride if you are willing to deal with mass transit.

Did you miss this?

*Taken from the website http://www.cruiseliberty.com/dirpark.htm

Public Transportation

• By Train

Take the PATH train from Manhattan to Jersey City or Hoboken. Outside the PATH Station, take the NJ Hudson-Bergen Light Rail train to Bayonne. Get off at the 34th Street Station in Bayonne. You are now directly across Route 440 from The Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor, which includes the Cape Liberty Cruise Port. Call one of the three Bayonne cab companies to drive you to the cruise port, which is about two miles east of the Light Rail line. (Highlighted link for cab companies - http://www.bayonnenj.org/residents/public-transportation/)

• By Bus

From the Port Authority Bus Terminal, take the 99S bus to Bayonne. The 99S bus travels along Kennedy Boulevard into Bayonne and stops on request every three blocks. When you reach 33rd Street and Kennedy Boulevard in Bayonne, you will be at the closest point on the bus route to the cruise port. Call one of the three Bayonne cab companies to drive you to the cruise port, which is about three miles east of Kennedy Boulevard.

I did read what you attached. However, if you are traveling with luggage and stuff, it is not seamless. You have to get off a public transport and stand at a street corner waiting for the cab that you have called to come and take you to the ship.

My way is much easier - cab to EWR or to the EWR PATH station and train or bus to Manhattan. The EWR bus runs every 15 minutes. Obviously doable but there should be an easier way to get into Manhattan directly from the pier.

DON

I did read what you attached. However, if you are traveling with luggage and stuff, it is not seamless. You have to get off a public transport and stand at a street corner waiting for the cab that you have called to come and take you to the ship.

My way is much easier - cab to EWR or to the EWR PATH station and train or bus to Manhattan. The EWR bus runs every 15 minutes. Obviously doable but there should be an easier way to get into Manhattan directly from the pier.

DON

Good to see that you have solved your problem. Just what did you expect to find on the website, a cab # to EWR, & a bus to The City?

I am curious, what is the cost of a cab to EWR & Train or bus to Manhattan? And don't you have to schlep your luggage on the train or bus?

Edited by richsea

Good to see that you have solved your problem. Just what did you expect to find on the website, a cab # to EWR, & a bus to The City?

I am curious, what is the cost of a cab to EWR & Train or bus to Manhattan? And don't you have to schlep your luggage on the train or bus?

I'm glad I am not the only one wondering the same thing.

It's still the same amount of schlepping luggage - just different modes.

(And Bayonne isn't exactly the worst place to be standing on a corner...LOL)

There is a light rail line right outside of the port complex that can be taken north to connect to the path train or ferry to go to NYC. Check it out.

We are going on the Summit this Sunday, will be fun not to have to use the buss to the ship!

Are you aware that it is a two-mile walk, or cab ride, between the light rail station and the cruise terminal?

Thanks so much for letting us know that the bus is gone! We sail on the 17th of May and last time we went out of Bayonne that bus was okay but really not good for DH with a walker. Looks like things are looking up at the port.

We always book a hotel in the area with shuttle service and parking for the car for the length of the cruise. We live in NJ but with our situation with luggage, carry-on bags to lug and DH's walker it make life so much easier.

Summit, here we come.

Anne Maria still wish you didn't have to change dates. Will miss seeing you and Frank.

Pat

Anne Maria still wish you didn't have to change dates. Will miss seeing you and Frank.

Pat

Me too, can't believe the way things worked out. We were so close and then things just feel through at the last minute and we couldn't sail 5/17 and booked the 5/24 cruise. We will have to try for next year.

The wife and I just pay the $100+ Town Car Service from Northwestern NJ (each way).

Pretty nice car ride, not a dirty cab.

We can bring EVERYTHING!!!

Don't worry about the car while we are away (this is NJ near NYC & Newark).

We get there early and enjoy every minute of out Celebrity Summit Adventure.

CaptDave

I am looking forward to my trip on the Summit next month. Not sure where in NJ you are coming from, but I got towncar service for $75 to the port and $85 going home. Just have to pay cash...it includes tips, tolls, etc.

I am coming from Union County.