Summit's return to New Jersey, a nice surprise.

captdave

This terminal is new-- yes- but it's still in the middle of no where land. Its a container facility, that since WW2, is finally starting to see renewal.

We also got off the Summit last week-- the ship was late getting in but once the tug got us free from the mud we docked with no further incident.

The transportation - leaving the ship- is horrendous. We were self assist off the ship and had a line of 20 or 25 couples waiting in front of us for cabs. There were 6 cabs. Not sure what the other 1800 people did who check there bags did but we opted for a gypsie cab. $85.00 bucks for 4 to EWR. Worth every penny. We can only guess how long the line "got" for transportation.

Why is Cele and RCI opting for these out of the way places-- we left SJU from a terminal located in LALA land. There's several piers at OL San Juan but no they cheap out by parking (docking) across the bay. Samo for when they go to Freeport BAH. another hell hole. Cele out of SEA same stuff, 5 miles out of town. Not the best spots but I'm sure some bean counter made the numbers work.

We had Zero waite time here on our last Bermuda Cruise. Had a car service pick us up. We go to northwestern NJ and it was worth the $100+ to not worry about anything.

Luggage...we bring EVERYTHING!

CaptDave

I'm surprised more cruisers don't use Uber (or the other similar services).

Not sure about cruise ports, but there are some airports that don't allow Uber drivers to pick up people as they do not pay the fee for use facility like buses, shuttles, and taxis do.

This terminal is new-- yes- but it's still in the middle of no where land. Its a container facility, that since WW2, is finally starting to see renewal.

We also got off the Summit last week-- the ship was late getting in but once the tug got us free from the mud we docked with no further incident.

The transportation - leaving the ship- is horrendous. We were self assist off the ship and had a line of 20 or 25 couples waiting in front of us for cabs. There were 6 cabs. Not sure what the other 1800 people did who check there bags did but we opted for a gypsie cab. $85.00 bucks for 4 to EWR. Worth every penny. We can only guess how long the line "got" for transportation.

Why is Cele and RCI opting for these out of the way places-- we left SJU from a terminal located in LALA land. There's several piers at OL San Juan but no they cheap out by parking (docking) across the bay. Samo for when they go to Freeport BAH. another hell hole. Cele out of SEA same stuff, 5 miles out of town. Not the best spots but I'm sure some bean counter made the numbers work.

Evidently, you have never sailed out of the West side of the City. You are definitely not in an out of the way place, but try getting in & out without a hassle. What are you looking for, a cruise terminal akin to a four star hotel?

As far as San Juan, the "convenient piers are for port stops, not embarking & disembarking. Ithas nothing to do with "cheaping out". Just how hard did you find it to get a taxi to take you to the pier?

If Freeport is a hell hole, why on earth would you take a cruise that stops there?

We had to take a shuttle bus this week while parking at the port. Car park was past the old terminal. A real pain for 19 dollars a day

Yes, but you were far away from Bayonne Dry Dock and any paint overspray.

Did you see any signs of them building a parking garage?

Evidently, you have never sailed out of the West side of the City. You are definitely not in an out of the way place, but try getting in & out without a hassle. What are you looking for, a cruise terminal akin to a four star hotel?

As far as San Juan, the "convenient piers are for port stops, not embarking & disembarking. Ithas nothing to do with "cheaping out". Just how hard did you find it to get a taxi to take you to the pier?

If Freeport is a hell hole, why on earth would you take a cruise that stops there?

Richardsea,

I hate it when there's rebuttal looking for a fight.

West side of WHAT city? Cape Liberty? It doesn't have a west side? Or did you mean NYC? If you meant NYC -- Richard your kidding--- nothing to do there-- shopping or show or even restaurant wise.

Have no idea what your talking about-- cruise terminal akin to 4 star hotel-- what does that even mean?

Yes it has everything to do with cheapening out. Pay the fee to park by OL San Juan were people can enjoy themselves in Ol Town. There is absolutely nothing to do at the pier by the little airport--- NOTHING. Ship doesn't sail till 9pm so your stuck on board.

You know not what you speak of. Sea boy....... "convenient piers--- what the heck are they convenient to of for???? What are they saving the GOOD PIERS FOR?

Anyway for anyone serious about cruising - I think some of the ports need to be looked at and or reevaluated in the very least. Freeport for example: shouldn't have to take a taxi 10 miles to get out of the container port to town-- you (You being Bahamas) want the ship here then supply FREE shuttle to town. OTHER wise were going someplace else with our ship and tourist $.

We had to take a shuttle bus this week while parking at the port. Car park was past the old terminal. A real pain for 19 dollars a day

Yeah, just drop off your luggage before you park. They now have a shuttle to the terminal from parking lot? They didn't last year.

The $19 a day comes out to $133 for the week. I called Premier who has off-site parking. They are only $20 cheaper, so it is not worth it to shuttle back & forth to their site, especially upon debarkation.

Yeah, just drop off your luggage before you park. They now have a shuttle to the terminal from parking lot? They didn't last year.

The $19 a day comes out to $133 for the week. I called Premier who has off-site parking. They are only $20 cheaper, so it is not worth it to shuttle back & forth to their site, especially upon debarkation.

You thru away $20 on parking? You could have applied that towards a tour. :D:rolleyes:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Richardsea,

West side of WHAT city? Cape Liberty? It doesn't have a west side? Or did you mean NYC? If you meant NYC -- Richard your kidding--- nothing to do there-- shopping or show or even restaurant wise.

Have no idea what your talking about-- cruise terminal akin to 4 star hotel-- what does that even mean?

Yes it has everything to do with cheapening out. Pay the fee to park by OL San Juan were people can enjoy themselves in Ol Town. There is absolutely nothing to do at the pier by the little airport--- NOTHING. Ship doesn't sail till 9pm so your stuck on board.

You know not what you speak of. Sea boy....... "convenient piers--- what the heck are they convenient to of for???? What are they saving the GOOD PIERS FOR?

Anyway for anyone serious about cruising - I think some of the ports need to be looked at and or reevaluated in the very least. Freeport for example: shouldn't have to take a taxi 10 miles to get out of the container port to town-- you (You being Bahamas) want the ship here then supply FREE shuttle to town. OTHER wise were going someplace else with our ship and tourist $.

I will only comment on one point. The pier at Old San Juan is for port stops only. There are no facilities for embarkation. The Pan American Pier is where is where the cruise lines begin and end their sailings.

Richardsea,

Rich is obviously talking about NYC and the West side and I agree with him. It is definitely not an out of the way area, there is a major tourist attraction right next to the pier. (Intrepid Museum). Rich and I have sailed out of the piers on the West side a number of times.

Edited by dkjretired

I will be doing my first cruise out of Cape Liberty this week. So far, I am totally unimpressed w the terminal. Their WEB site is a disaster. The transportation options after the cruise are non-existent. I have been trying to figure out how to get from the terminal to Manhattan w/o spending ~$120 on a car service. Thus far, the only option seems to be to take an expensive taxi ride to Newark Airport and then get to NYC from EWR by public transport.

It might not be as bad as it seems once I do it but we will see.

DON

We sailed on the Quantum out of Cape Liberty- while the terminal is much bigger, it is a no-frills terminal. The terminal was chaotic as RC tried a different registration process- The agents used ipads and people swarmed around them making the wait longer! I "assume" Celebrity will not use this method of registration.

We had a poor driver to the terminal- I told him to make sure that the Bayonne Bridge was open as construction goes on and off and he told me he did. Sure enough the bridge was closed! We anticipated being nice and early, but his mistake added another 45 minutes to the trip.

I suggest if you are coming from LI, try the route going through Manhattan to avoid any possible last minute closures of the Bayonne bridge.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Rich is obviously talking about NYC and the West side and I agree with him. It is definitely not an out of the way area, there is a major tourist attraction right next to the pier. (Intrepid Museum). Rich and I have sailed out of the piers on the West side a number of times.

To both you and Richie, the context was about port liberty and all of a sudden you all are talking about NYC. PORT LIBERTY --- please stay on topic. Thanks

FYI by mentioning all to do in NYC you have made my point. What is a cruiseline the size of RCI and X doing in Liberty? What possible reason, other than cost, would cause a major to go into Cape L rather than NYC?

To both you and Richie, the context was about port liberty and all of a sudden you all are talking about NYC. PORT LIBERTY --- please stay on topic. Thanks

FYI by mentioning all to do in NYC you have made my point. What is a cruiseline the size of RCI and X doing in Liberty? What possible reason, other than cost, would cause a major to go into Cape L rather than NYC?

For the regular folks in New Jersey/PA Cape Liberty is a dream come true. Going in to NYC is a royal pain. If you just need to be dropped off NYC is a terrible place, bridges and tunnels add quite a bit to the drive (and costs).

Cape Liberty is just a little past EWR Airport. You should check the drive out before your cruise, it's a nice place to see the NYC Skyline.

If your traveling from EWR you can get a cab. If your looking for car service at Cape Liberty you better get that beforehand.

Your near NYC...it's expensive (that's why I stay away). If they built a Cruise Port in Allentown, PA I'm sure parking would be free and it would be very easy to get to with no tolls, and newly paved roads. Since I don't think anyone is planning on deepening the Delaware River we all better get use with putting up with Newark/Bayonne/NYC (it's only for a short while).

CaptDave

Perhaps the fact that there are already SO MANY ships docking in NYC - Celebrity and RC needed another option. The Sunday through Sunday cruise is one of the most popular - at least around here - and there are only so many ships that can fit in the Port of NY at any given time.

I'm happy that Celebrity is in NJ. In fact, that's one of the main reasons we are giving Celebrity a chance. It will be our first cruise on X, and we are looking forward to being able to get to the port without dealing with NYC craziness. (We've done the NYC departure thing a few times, and it's just a hassle with all the traffic, and the lines of cars, etc.)

Royal Caribbean wanted the city of New York to make improvements to the NYC piers and said if they didn't they would leave. Well NYC said they weren't going to so RCCL then had to pick up their marbles and leave town.

Personally even though we live in CT and have to go over the GWB it's much easier for us to cruise out of Cape Liberty.

It would take us 45 minutes just to get off the exit on the West Side Highway to get to the piers, plus I think parking there is $30 or $35 a day. Whereas Cape Liberty is $19 a day. A real bargain. In the 11 times we have sailed out of Cape Liberty it's never been as bad (traffic wise) as it was sailing out of NYC.

Obviously if you are flying to your cruise destination then NYC would be nicer than Newark/Bayonne area.

Edited by CruisingChick

Are you aware that it is a two-mile walk, or cab ride, between the light rail station and the cruise terminal?

A two mile cab ride in Bayonne is NOT like a two mile cab ride in NYC. NYC could take 30-40 minutes or more depending on traffic. Bayonne will take about 10 minutes.

You brought it up. Did you really expect that when you asked the question why did Royal go to Bayonne, that it would not elicit a conversation about the pitfalls of NYC. Absolutely on topic.

Edited by dkjretired