MDR Etiquette for Carnival Traditional Dining

FlaGrl4Evr

My last few Carnival cruises have been with family so we opted for the Anytime dining in order to dine when we wanted. My upcoming cruise is a girlfriends getaway and we decided that we would like to try the late-seating traditional dining option, hopefully sitting at a large table so we can meet other cruisers.

This leads me to a fairly odd question but one nevertheless that I do not know the answer to. When you are assigned to a large table with other cruisers do you keep the same exact seat that you had the first evening or is it permissible to just sit at any open seats at the table?

Some folks are fairly territorial when it comes to certain seats.... window seat, seat facing a certain direction etc.... Personally, where I sit is not a big issue but I don't want to rock-the-boat so to speak if we were to sit at the other side of the table to change it up.

I'm just curious as to what would be appropriate.

My last few Carnival cruises have been with family so we opted for the Anytime dining in order to dine when we wanted. My upcoming cruise is a girlfriends getaway and we decided that we would like to try the late-seating traditional dining option, hopefully sitting at a large table so we can meet other cruisers.

This leads me to a fairly odd question but one nevertheless that I do not know the answer to. When you are assigned to a large table with other cruisers do you keep the same exact seat that you had the first evening or is it permissible to just sit at any open seats at the table?

Some folks are fairly territorial when it comes to certain seats.... window seat, seat facing a certain direction etc.... Personally, where I sit is not a big issue but I don't want to rock-the-boat so to speak if we were to sit at the other side of the table to change it up.

We typically (although not always) stay in the same seat, as it helps the staff know our names (which is important from Carnival's perspective) as well as our wants and desires (something special I might do every evening which they try an accomadate etc.). That being said, if you feel comfortable (to get a different view, or whatever reason) they will adapt.

Where it could get sticky is if you were changing tables (in a group scenario) and there were different wait teams assigned to the different tables.

Most of the cruises we had were traditional dining and people stayed in the same spot. I have though switched places with my husband or sister, but we still occupied the same seats.

One cruise there were 5 of us and another couple seated at the same table. They arrived late the first night, so we were seated before them. The next night they arrived early and decided that 2 of our seats were better than the ones that they had so they took them. None of us said anything about the seats. The next night we got there ahead of them and took our seats based on the first night. The wife who was such a snob to start with said that we must have rushed to get there early so we could have the best seats.

None of us acknowledged that remark and every other night we got there before them and she was angry nightly. She kept telling us that she was Platinum and entitled to things. We were all also Platinum, but it wasn't something we brought up. She also put her husband down every chance she got so I think she was just a genuinely ugly person. I thought it was funny that on the last formal night when the photographer came to the table to take a group picture, she told him "I don't know these people well enough to have MY picture taken with them."

I guess it takes all kinds, lol. I do think it makes things easier for the wait staff to have people sit at the same spots nightly as most times my iced tea and my husband's Coke's were waiting for us when we arrived. Enjoy your cruise.

We have not had assigned dining for quite some time where we shared a table with folks we did not know. On our kids first cruise we did. They were 9 and 12, I believe and we had one of the long rectangle tables near a window of the Fantasy class ships. We always arrived early as possible to dinner and thus were first to the table every night. My kids always wanted to sit by the window because of the view. Our table mates were all adults, no other children. I was shocked one evening when one of the ladies said- "You guys always sit by the window, someone else should get a turn!" I didn't know how to respond. After that, it was just "weird" for the rest of the trip... My kids didn't know if they would be scolded for sitting by the window.

we were on the pride for 14 days with late seating and a table of 6. After a couple of days, we (ok, I instigated :) ) started moving into different seats around the table. Gave each of us different views of the dining room and it was not a problem with the wait staff. They actually started joking with us around day 9 about the nightly shift.

Go ahead and move, there are no assigned seats at the table :)

Personly I like to move around. Get a different view now and then. I see nothing wrong with the first come sit where you want attitude. Thankfully I've never had a unpleasant experience like described here. Matter of fact, dinner is a very important part of my cruising experience, so I would probably have my dining assignment changed, I wouldn't spend one more meal with an unpleasant person as described here.

On our last cruise, we took turns moving around the table.

We had a table for 8 on our last cruise and it was by the window. Everyone just sat where they wanted, the early ones got the window seats, but it was no problem and we really enjoyed all the people we met.

We have not had assigned dining for quite some time where we shared a table with folks we did not know. On our kids first cruise we did. They were 9 and 12, I believe and we had one of the long rectangle tables near a window of the Fantasy class ships. We always arrived early as possible to dinner and thus were first to the table every night. My kids always wanted to sit by the window because of the view. Our table mates were all adults, no other children. I was shocked one evening when one of the ladies said- "You guys always sit by the window, someone else should get a turn!" I didn't know how to respond. After that, it was just "weird" for the rest of the trip... My kids didn't know if they would be scolded for sitting by the window.

Perhaps the way she said it, according to your post, is awkward. No finesse, and they should conversed with you (if you are the parents) about having a turn at some point rather than bellowed out towards the kids. But, the fact they other people too (including adults) would like to sit near a window while dining for one or a few evenings during their cruise is definitely not alien.

Edited by eponym

We prefer to take our seat the first night, and keep that seat every night.

In my experience, people tend to gravitate to the same spot night after night. I have always sailed solo, and I think I have sat in the same spot as I did the first night for the duration of the journey...

As far as the question of etiquette, I would say that for a table by the window or other "preferred" seating On the first night where people sat where they wanted based on what was available the first night, the POLITE thing to do if you were seated in the preferred seats would be to ask others if they wanted a "turn" at those seats tomorrow. Thus signaling to the group that you were willing to rotate seating around so that everyone had a chance to sit at the window. Or just show up later the next night to give others a chance to get to them.

Other MDR rules would be "try to be on time" the wait staff will hold off taking orders and starting dinners (not just for your table but for the whole section) waiting on people who come in late. They want to be able to place all the orders at once so they are all ready at the same time so they can server things in an orderly fashion. If you come in and sit 15 minutes late (or worse) you most likely have delayed 20 peoples dinners.

I'm a creature of habit and like to sit in the same seat every night. I did the same thing in college, as did most people. We didn't technically have assigned seats, but everyone chose to sit at the same desk every class.

I'm also super weird in that I can't stand to have my back to the room. It makes me very nervous and uncomfortable, so I choose my seat based on this criteria. I'd be a very grumpy camper if someone took "my" seat.

There is no MDR seating "etiquette".

People have preferences or not, but there is no Emily Post or whomever suggesting what seating is proper.

Heck, there's hardly any dress code, so why should seating be held to a standard?

I'm a creature of habit and like to sit in the same seat every night. I did the same thing in college, as did most people. We didn't technically have assigned seats, but everyone chose to sit at the same desk every class.

I'm also super weird in that I can't stand to have my back to the room. It makes me very nervous and uncomfortable, so I choose my seat based on this criteria. I'd be a very grumpy camper if someone took "my" seat.

If you want "your" seat just be sure you are at the doors when they open. No "seat" is assigned and others may have the same phobia as you and would also like to face the room.

Servers are super...we had a party of twenty at two tables and switched seats every night and the servers still knew us and our preferences....in fact we exchanged names the first evening and they remembered them even though we had a family group of sisters who are virtually identical with their raven hair and olive complexions and slim tall builds, and two sets of twins who didn't dress alike or wear their hair the same but are usually difficult to tell apart. I was amazed and delighted....they even figured out who was directly related to whom and when I ordered they always laughed and said that was exactly what my sister ordered.

What an interesting topic!

I also am a creature of habit. I like to sit in the same seat each night, but I don't get bent out of shape if I arrive to the dining room and someone is already sitting there. Some of these stories about some of these encounters are hysterical though!

Personly I like to move around. Get a different view now and then. I see nothing wrong with the first come sit where you want attitude. Thankfully I've never had a unpleasant experience like described here. Matter of fact, dinner is a very important part of my cruising experience, so I would probably have my dining assignment changed, I wouldn't spend one more meal with an unpleasant person as described here.

On our last cruise, we took turns moving around the table.

We also moved around every night since each seat afforded a different view.

I understand the creature of habit thing. I see it at Church and in the employee break room as well as various other venues. I am the vocal one that would ask at the end of the first evening "same seats tomorrow or shall we mix it up?" If you can't be vocal enough to state your preference then you will have to abide by what others desire.

Seems that most people stay in the same seat. I am going to anytime dining just for the variety. If you get tablemates that are less compatible with you it is not a fun time. We really enjoyed breakfast in the DR since you got seated with different people and that made things interesting. I told my wife this cruise that I did not want all of the formality and her reply was "thank god".

When we dine with family, we sit in the same seat for most of the cruise, unless some don't show up for dinner, then we sit closer together. When dining with other cruisers, we normally sit in the same seat the entire time, even when others don't show up for dinner.

Usually I travel with friends and as a group we rotate seats to keep ourselves amused and so that no one feels left out.

The times my honey and I traveled alone, the people at the tables generally kept their own seats. Although, on one of the last nights we switched it up, just to push people out of their comfort zone. Everyone laughed and took it well. No one was upset, but then again, we had a good group and were comfortable with each other.

Our last cruise earlier this month we were 5 couples and were seated at a rectangular table along the side next to the windows. Since it was Late Seating, there were no views through the windows.

But conversations were difficult from one end of the table to the other end. So, we decided to rotate one seat each night in clockwise manner to be across from a different person each night. Waitstaff kept up with us with no problems.

Last April, we cruised with our DD, SIL and Grandson. We were seated at a round 10 top with another family of 5. We did not change seats because it was easier to converse at the round table. (One night, we were the only 2 people at the table, but those absent had notified the waitstaff, so there were no delays for us. :D

We had a table for 8 on our last cruise and it was by the window. Everyone just sat where they wanted, the early ones got the window seats, but it was no problem and we really enjoyed all the people we met.

That, basically, has been our experience as well, but I know that some people feel comfortable sitting in the same seats each evening.