Live from the Maasdam - May 1 – 16, 2015 The Atlantic Coast

Alberta Quilter

Thank you for your log. We must remember to keep washing our hands while on cruises and carry the liquid disinfectant while on tours. Your log made us much more aware.

You said that the cd was a female named Jude. We have never had a cd by that name. Did you enjoy her? Did she run a good trivia? What kinds of questions did she tend to use? On our winter cruise lots of questions were centered on pop culture with almost no science, geography, history, or literature. We began to think this might be a new HAL direction, to get younger pax.

Yes, actually Jude was very good. It was my first time with her. I was told that she was brought on board rather suddenly; she was on vacation and got called back after a week to do this cruise. I don't know how long she will be aboard.

As for trivia, yes, they were good games. The one challenging one was when she was sick and Show Host Kevin took over. I thought everyone was going to revolt or kill him! But, to be fair, as that was Mother's Day and the trivia was themed for Mother's Day, I think it was challenging on it's own and not because of Kevin. I don't recall any of Jude's trivia's being slanted toward any demographic. We didn't do well because we were three Canadians and one American. I think a winning team needs to have members from other countries and with a wide range of experiences/education.

Although some people take it way too seriously and need to remember it's just a game and the prize is only a pin and bragging rights for a day.

May 17, 2015 Montreal

Well, DM did not have a great night. She was up a few times with more episodes. I've kept her quarantined all day today, not that she even had the desire to go anywhere. Oh, scratch that, she did move from the bed to the couch for about 20 minutes. Other than trips to the bathroom, that was it.

DMF has been a godsend! Last night, when I spoke with her to update her on DM's condition, she told me about the 24 hour hotline for nursing advice, similar to something offered in Alberta. I did call the hotline this morning for some reassurance and advice. Because of DM's age, dehydration is a concern. The nurse advised that I should get some Gravol to stop the vomiting and PediaLyte for rehydration and to stop the diarrhea. Turned out we had Gravol in DM's travel kit. So she quickly took that, and it stayed down.

I went downstairs to speak with the Front Desk to find out where I could find a pharmacy. It was only a ten minute walk but it being Sunday, they're not open until 10 am today. This was before 9 am. I contacted DMF again; she offered to drive me to the pharmacy and anywhere else I needed to go to help her friend. DMF lives in a town outside of Montreal, on the other side of the river, about half an hour away. She picked me up shortly before 10 and drove me over the to pharmacy where I got the PediaLyte and some other things. Then she drove me to the grocery store so that I could get some easily digestible food for DM when she feels up to eating; the nurse had provided me with suggested foods. We were back in less than an hour. DMF drove an hour, just to chauffeur me about for 40 minutes or so. How wonderful was that?! Like I said, she has been a godsend; helping with translations, just making things easier for me which helps DM.

At that time we were also able to exchange some gifts for each other. We had the champagne from our tablemates, the scallops and some of the cheese that we purchased on the Iles de la Madeleine. Given the circumstances, there was no way we were going to be able to eat these things (and one cheese was really odorous!!). It was best to give it her so it didn't go to waste; the scallops need to be eaten right away by now. We kept the vacuum packed cheese to take home. She gave us some homemade banana bread and some maple syrup.

Since returning to the hotel, I became a bit of a tyrant with DM, forcing her to drink the PediaLyte, one tablespoon at a time, every five - ten minutes for an hour. She would just drift off and I'd be back forcing her to drink more of it. I guess it's not that tasty (since it's for children, I chose the unflavoured version for her). The second hour, she was to drink two tablespoons every five minutes. The third hour, she was to drink one cup in an hour. We did this process slower than what was recommended, mostly because of her need to sleep. Having gone through it, I fully understand that requirement. I let her drift off between doses in the first two stages and then let her sleep for an hour between the second and third stage.

Just before she took ill yesterday, I was able to get our usual probiotics at a drugstore. She was unable to keep them down but at least I've been taking them. Hopefully, I'll get her on them again later today. I've used the time to catch up a little on CC. I haven't been able to figure out how to load my pictures so that more than one shows at a time. I started to look into Shutterfly or Photobucket but that was just too much to deal with right now. I'm sorry about the delay with the photos. If I get really bored, I'll upload one at a time.

I also tried to figure out if DM made it to 4 star. I don't think she did. By my calculations (okay, I'm an accountant, what can I say?), she'll be at 199 days (one day short of 4 star level) after this cruise, once the onboard spending is taken into consideration. I have three days less than she does. So, that's my prediction. I'll let you know if it is correct when our mariner status is updated on the HAL website.

The Oceania Marina is here in Montreal as of today. The current pax are overnighting before disembarking tomorrow. Some new pax are staying in the same hotel and had a pre-cruise M&G here in the hotel this evening. I went down for a few minutes (I was invited after talking to some individuals on other threads) but didn't stay long enough to meet the one person I wanted to meet. I purposely didn't stay long and stayed some distance away from them, too, because I didn't want to expose them to anything viral, though either of us, from the Maasdam. I wouldn't wish what DM and I have gone through on my worst enemy! Anyway, I quickly provided an update on the few ports we have in common and the ice conditions, and then left them to their M&G. I may see some of them tomorrow at breakfast as I did this morning (but neither of us knew it at the time).

I wandered out for dinner (lunch was DM's leftover half sandwich from yesterday and a banana from breakfast this morning). I had researched some places for us to try near the hotel; I tried one last night. The one for tonight was so busy that I continued to wander down the street to Place Jacques Cartier. There I turned north to go back towards the hotel when I heard my name being called. It was our two tablemates from the cruise! They were just finishing dinner, on an outdoor patio. We compared virus stories (she was the last of our tablemates to get sick) and I told them about DM. We chatted for a bit and then I continued my wandering, searching for a place that had decent food at a reasonable price. Well, I finally found a place that had good food; not so much the reasonable price, though, but similar to what I would have to pay at home. I chose to eat in the lounge as that would get me in and out faster or so I thought. Well, I'm sure it did as the restaurant had a 45 minute wait for the dining room. However, it still took a long time for my order to be taken and then over half an hour for it to come out. It was very good but I shudder when I think of the cost for a steak with vegetables and a glass of water for one person!

I came back to find DM sitting up on the couch. She's still not quite there yet but is doing much better than yesterday. Thank you to all for the good wishes for her recovery. Hopefully, she will rest well tonight and will be okay to travel tomorrow. If not, I'll have to come up with Plan B!

Hi

I think if a person is quarantined and they leave thier cabin before oked by medicial staff they should be put off at next port. All the ship has to do is hand them a paper/form telling thenm if they leave the cabin before cleared they are off the ship. This will stop the illness from spreading

Mary

Hi

I think if a person is quarantined and they leave thier cabin before oked by medicial staff they should be put off at next port. All the ship has to do is hand them a paper/form telling thenm if they leave the cabin before cleared they are off the ship. This will stop the illness from spreading

Mary

That's a simplistic view of virus transmission and probably would not work. It would depend on whether or not the virus can be transmitted before symptoms begin. I don't know whether or not there noro virus can be transmitted before symptoms begin, but based on the reports of outbreaks, I would be willing to bet it can be. Also, some people could be carriers of the virus but not be affected themselves (look at Typhoid Mary).

Yes, someone who has contracted norovirus is contagious for about 24 hours before they begin having symptoms. That doesn't necessarily mean there's no point to quarantine, because someone who is vomiting/having diarrhea is even more contagious.

Wash yer hands, wash yer hands, wash yer hands. Try not to touch your face (difficult for me, but I do try to remember) or food (or anything else that will go in your mouth) with your hands. Try not to touch objects or surfaces that other people touch (a travel packet of Kleenex are great for when you don't have much of a choice about touching that serving spoon in a buffet). Hit elevator buttons with your elbow if possible.

Hi

Mary

Mary, I can confirm that I received such a letter. I guess it does not deter people as much as it should.

Thanks Alberta Quilter for continuing your reports while you were a patient and then a nurse. Becoming ill while away from home is not any fun at all! Hope your DM is feeling better for the upcoming flight. I'm sure you both are ready to get home sweet home.

Hi Alberta Quilter,

I have just managed to catch up on your blog which I thoroughly enjoyed. I was so sorry to read of your illness.

We are on the ship at the moment and up until today in Sydney, the ship has been a healthy one. That was up until this morning. We had noticed the "hazmat teams" in some ship areas last night and this morning the captain came on the PA to inform that there were indeed some new cases of illness. He sounded furious as at least one of the ill people had not disclosed their illness for a day and been wandering around the ship. His message was very clear that after having been on two ill sailings and all of the hard work the crew have done and the effort in super sanitising the ship in Montreal, they did not want the illness to continue.

Like you were, we are being so careful with everything we touch. Im amazed though at the amount of people who touch buttons, handrails, common furniture, put keycards in their mouths, etc. I really hope that this illness does not continue onto future sailings and that it can be nipped in the bud.

Again, thanks for your Live from thread....

:):):)

Hi Alberta Quilter,

I have just managed to catch up on your blog which I thoroughly enjoyed. I was so sorry to read of your illness.

We are on the ship at the moment and up until today in Sydney, the ship has been a healthy one. That was up until this morning. We had noticed the "hazmat teams" in some ship areas last night and this morning the captain came on the PA to inform that there were indeed some new cases of illness. He sounded furious as at least one of the ill people had not disclosed their illness for a day and been wandering around the ship. His message was very clear that after having been on two ill sailings and all of the hard work the crew have done and the effort in super sanitising the ship in Montreal, they did not want the illness to continue.

Like you were, we are being so careful with everything we touch. Im amazed though at the amount of people who touch buttons, handrails, common furniture, put keycards in their mouths, etc. I really hope that this illness does not continue onto future sailings and that it can be nipped in the bud.

Sorry to hear that are some new cases on the ship.

Hi Alberta Quilter,

Thanks for your update on this week's cruise. We were all wondering if the illness has continued on. Have you heard anything about HAL cancelling the next cruise or two on Maasdam to "clean" the ship? After three sailings with illness, it is possible IMO.

May 17, 2015 Montreal

Well, DM did not have a great night. She was up a few times with more episodes. I've kept her quarantined all day today, not that she even had the desire to go anywhere. Oh, scratch that, she did move from the bed to the couch for about 20 minutes. Other than trips to the bathroom, that was it.

DMF has been a godsend! Last night, when I spoke with her to update her on DM's condition, she told me about the 24 hour hotline for nursing advice, similar to something offered in Alberta. I did call the hotline this morning for some reassurance and advice. Because of DM's age, dehydration is a concern. The nurse advised that I should get some Gravol to stop the vomiting and PediaLyte for rehydration and to stop the diarrhea. Turned out we had Gravol in DM's travel kit. So she quickly took that, and it stayed down.

I went downstairs to speak with the Front Desk to find out where I could find a pharmacy. It was only a ten minute walk but it being Sunday, they're not open until 10 am today. This was before 9 am. I contacted DMF again; she offered to drive me to the pharmacy and anywhere else I needed to go to help her friend. DMF lives in a town outside of Montreal, on the other side of the river, about half an hour away. She picked me up shortly before 10 and drove me over the to pharmacy where I got the PediaLyte and some other things. Then she drove me to the grocery store so that I could get some easily digestible food for DM when she feels up to eating; the nurse had provided me with suggested foods. We were back in less than an hour. DMF drove an hour, just to chauffeur me about for 40 minutes or so. How wonderful was that?! Like I said, she has been a godsend; helping with translations, just making things easier for me which helps DM.

At that time we were also able to exchange some gifts for each other. We had the champagne from our tablemates, the scallops and some of the cheese that we purchased on the Iles de la Madeleine. Given the circumstances, there was no way we were going to be able to eat these things (and one cheese was really odorous!!). It was best to give it her so it didn't go to waste; the scallops need to be eaten right away by now. We kept the vacuum packed cheese to take home. She gave us some homemade banana bread and some maple syrup.

Since returning to the hotel, I became a bit of a tyrant with DM, forcing her to drink the PediaLyte, one tablespoon at a time, every five - ten minutes for an hour. She would just drift off and I'd be back forcing her to drink more of it. I guess it's not that tasty (since it's for children, I chose the unflavoured version for her). The second hour, she was to drink two tablespoons every five minutes. The third hour, she was to drink one cup in an hour. We did this process slower than what was recommended, mostly because of her need to sleep. Having gone through it, I fully understand that requirement. I let her drift off between doses in the first two stages and then let her sleep for an hour between the second and third stage.

Just before she took ill yesterday, I was able to get our usual probiotics at a drugstore. She was unable to keep them down but at least I've been taking them. Hopefully, I'll get her on them again later today. I've used the time to catch up a little on CC. I haven't been able to figure out how to load my pictures so that more than one shows at a time. I started to look into Shutterfly or Photobucket but that was just too much to deal with right now. I'm sorry about the delay with the photos. If I get really bored, I'll upload one at a time.

I also tried to figure out if DM made it to 4 star. I don't think she did. By my calculations (okay, I'm an accountant, what can I say?), she'll be at 199 days (one day short of 4 star level) after this cruise, once the onboard spending is taken into consideration. I have three days less than she does. So, that's my prediction. I'll let you know if it is correct when our mariner status is updated on the HAL website.

The Oceania Marina is here in Montreal as of today. The current pax are overnighting before disembarking tomorrow. Some new pax are staying in the same hotel and had a pre-cruise M&G here in the hotel this evening. I went down for a few minutes (I was invited after talking to some individuals on other threads) but didn't stay long enough to meet the one person I wanted to meet. I purposely didn't stay long and stayed some distance away from them, too, because I didn't want to expose them to anything viral, though either of us, from the Maasdam. I wouldn't wish what DM and I have gone through on my worst enemy! Anyway, I quickly provided an update on the few ports we have in common and the ice conditions, and then left them to their M&G. I may see some of them tomorrow at breakfast as I did this morning (but neither of us knew it at the time).

I wandered out for dinner (lunch was DM's leftover half sandwich from yesterday and a banana from breakfast this morning). I had researched some places for us to try near the hotel; I tried one last night. The one for tonight was so busy that I continued to wander down the street to Place Jacques Cartier. There I turned north to go back towards the hotel when I heard my name being called. It was our two tablemates from the cruise! They were just finishing dinner, on an outdoor patio. We compared virus stories (she was the last of our tablemates to get sick) and I told them about DM. We chatted for a bit and then I continued my wandering, searching for a place that had decent food at a reasonable price. Well, I finally found a place that had good food; not so much the reasonable price, though, but similar to what I would have to pay at home. I chose to eat in the lounge as that would get me in and out faster or so I thought. Well, I'm sure it did as the restaurant had a 45 minute wait for the dining room. However, it still took a long time for my order to be taken and then over half an hour for it to come out. It was very good but I shudder when I think of the cost for a steak with vegetables and a glass of water for one person!

I came back to find DM sitting up on the couch. She's still not quite there yet but is doing much better than yesterday. Thank you to all for the good wishes for her recovery. Hopefully, she will rest well tonight and will be okay to travel tomorrow. If not, I'll have to come up with Plan B!

Thank you for keeping us updated on everything.

Glad to hear your mother is improving.

Hi

Mary

I think it was our 2006 Alaskan cruise where the minute a person came down with the Noro' date=' they were put off the ship as soon as possible.[/size']

The first part of our cruise from Vancouver to Seward we were a healthy ship. But people coming off land tours to join the ship in Seward for cruise portion brought on the illness. Over a dozen people were refused permission to get on the ship in Seward.

Hi Dave,

Yes, her name is Joanne Gardner. I spoke with her twice. First to ask questions concerning possibility of purchasing Future Cruise Deposit's for friends not on board the ship. She said yes and that we would need their names and Mariner ID #'s. After communicating with the friends went back to see Joanne and she brushed us off quickly saying a form would be delivered to our cabin. I re-asked about purchasing for our friends and was told there was room for 4 on the form. Long story but we ended up with 2 for my husband and 2 for myself and 0 for our friends instead of 1 for each of us. I had checked both to receive the certificates in our cabin and to receive via email. Only got the emailed ones and my AOL email was not wanting to connect part of the time and locking up part of the time so I did not try opening the attachments to the email's until after leaving the ship. Had I received the certificates while onboard ship I could have went back to her for correction. I have send an email to HAL's Customer Service to try to get the certificates corrected. I felt Joanne only wanted to deal with people who wanted to book a cruise onboard.

Actually, we only filled out one form for ourselves but requested 2 each. When we got home & received our email, we only got 1 each. I sent an email yesterday saying they could confirm our request for 2 each from the form & asked for our 2nd ones. I haven't heard back yet.

Good News! First, DM is healthy again! We've had a few days in the Eastern Townships of Quebec just touring about and taking it easy. We also pumped some money into the local economy. But, I just checked our Mariner status and DM is now at 4 star status!!

I can only think that they included the two tours for Quebec even though they were refunded back to us. No matter, we'll take the updated status! Woohoo!! Free laundry from now on!!

We fly home tomorrow night. I was able to upgrade us at check-in so that's good, too. However, we have purchased too much, over the past three weeks, and had to check an extra bag (small one) each.:eek:

Hi Alberta Quilter,

I'm really sorry to hear that the virus is still occurring onboard the ship. I can understand the Captain's anger. I find it hard to believe that people would go out when they're ill. Neither DM or I even felt like doing anything; we just wanted to curl up and die, to be honest.

I'm glad you're being careful. I really hope that you don't get it. Please continue to keep us posted.

AQ - glad Mom made 4 Star! I think you are correct about getting credit for the cancelled excursions (another reason to book through HAL), as we got more days than I expected as well (had 2 excursions cancelled).

DaveOKC