Live from the Maasdam - May 1 – 16, 2015 The Atlantic Coast

Alberta Quilter

Sorry you're still under Code Red -- but it sounds like it isn't affecting you too much. :) The only cruise we have ever had Code Red was this cruise in 2012. We were under Code Red for 13 of the 15 days. :eek: We stayed healthy and had a great time though!

Thanks so much for your updates.

I wonder if boarding will be delayed in Montreal on May 16 due to a deep cleaning because of Noro outbreak currently onboard.

I wonder if boarding will be delayed in Montreal on May 16 due to a deep cleaning because of Noro outbreak currently onboard.

Alberta Quilter says they're out of Code Red and in Code Orange now -- hoping that will be gone too by the time they reach Montreal. :)

Just talked with our friend, the itineraries will be up by 7pm tonight. She did give me the itinerary though, and it's quite different from yours and the one we did before. Veendam sails out of Tampa April 24. 13 days instead of 15, and no stops in Charleston or Newport :( First port is Bar Harbor. Disappointed, as Charleston and Newport were 2 of the big reasons we're interested.

Correction, first port is Boston, then Bar Harbor. Still very disappointed that Charleston and Newport were removed.

May 8, 2015 Halifax

We had a lovely day in Halifax. The temperatures were cool. When we woke up it was 3C! Those who are not used to the cooler temperatures were bundled up; you'd have thought Halifax was the Antarctic! It did warm up later in the day and the sky cleared from an overcast sky this morning to a somewhat cloudy day this afternoon. But the Indonesian and Phillipino crew are so cold in these temperatures that they have heavier jackets, gloves and toques on. I just want to hug them to warm them up!!!

We docked at 9 am but it was about 9:30 when we received the announcement that we could leave the ship. Our tour guide was waiting in the terminal for us. Brian Allen of Brian's Taxi Tours took us through Halifax, and then to Peggy's Cove. We also stopped at the Swiss Air memorial (the one put up by the families of the victims). From there we could get another angle of Peggy's Cove. We had lunch at The Finer Diner based on Brian's recommendation. We spoke about going to Ryer's but one has to work for their lobster there, and one eats on picnic benches outside there. It was a little too cool for that, plus DM was adamant about her requirement to not work for her meal. It would take too long for those of us who aren't very good at picking lobster meat out of the shells, too.

The Finer Diner is a nice little bistro type place. We had lobster Ceasar Salad and a lobster club sandwich (lobster instead of turkey). So, we're two for two for our lobster mission.

After lunch, we stopped at a unique museum and gift shop based on Peggy of the Cove. We didn't do the whole thing because DM didn't feel she could climb the stairs. But it was a nice visit, with a unique character telling us his version of how Peggy's Cove got it's name.

We then drove back to Halifax and to the Fairfield Cemetery where we stopped to see the burial site of several Titanic victims. Then it was back to the port. Brian dropped us off outside the Seaport Farmers Market. At this time of year, though, there weren't many vendors. And, of course, one doesn't really need to purchase food while one is on a cruise. But there were some other crafty items.

We decided to go into the Pier 21 Immigration Museum. The cost was $10 for an adult admission, less for a senior. An AAA membership will give you a 15% discount on one ticket. Since we both have a membership, we just paid separately and got two discounts. It takes about an hour to an hour and a half to tour Pier 21. We did it in an hour; we skipped the guided tour of the museum because we would have gotten a little too close to All Aboard time by the time we were through.

One can walk right from the Pier 21 museum right through to the to Pier 22 terminal where the Maasdam was docked and all of the vendors have their stalls to sell their wares. We poked through the various stalls; DM made a small purchase.

Just before dinner, the Captain came on the PA system to announce that we have a change in itinerary. He was advised today that there is still ice in Gaspe Bay and the tender dock is not yet ready for anyone to use. Therefore, we would start for Saguenay, arriving there one day early. The good thing for some people is that we would now have an overnight in Quebec City. It's not great for us as we've spent a week touring in and around Quebec City a few years ago and we were really looking forward to Gaspe. We planned to go antiquing on the one day we were to be in Quebec City but I doubt we'll go antiquing for two days. Oh, well, c'est la vie. We'll figure something out. At least, we're using the lost day well and many people will enjoy an extra day in Quebec City.

We had dinner in the PG tonight so cannot report on dinner in the MDR. DM had the lobster bisque, crab cakes and halibut/shrimp. I had the shrimp cocktail, crab cakes and the filet mignon. All were very good, except the halibut was a little dry. However, DM resolved that with a little bearnaise sauce from my filet. For dessert, I had the raspberry cheesecake and DM had the souffle. DM ate all of her souffle (except the spoonful I tried) and about a quarter of my cheesecake. I simply couldn't eat any more. And then I had to go to the MDR to select my dinner for tomorrow night!

With respect to the Code Orange situation, I can report that we now have proper (and very nice) washcloths in the public washrooms instead of paper towels. Still no toilet seat covers, though. Is that a Code Red/Orange thing or has HAL done away with them altogether? I would have thought that they would be important at any time, but that's just supposition on my part. There were flowers on the table in the PG; I didn't notice if there were any in the MDR when I popped in. I did notice that people could serve themselves in the Lido buffet this morning; I think the only restriction is that they are still using salt and pepper packets in the Lido instead of proper shakers/mills. People are happy that they can do jigsaw puzzles; the first one that was started last night was completed just before dinner tonight.

The entertainment tonight was Celtic Music & Dance by Mary Beth Carry & Donald MacLennan from Nova Scotia. Unfortunately, because our PG dinner ran a little long, we did not make it to the show tonight. We will see them tomorrow morning as there is a Fiddlin' Flapjack & French Crepe Breakfast tomorrow morning which will feature the two entertainers. Should be fun! I'll tell you all about it tomorrow.

Signing off from another fabulous day on the Maasdam!

Glad you had a wonderful day in Halifax and another wonderful day of lobster.

I have to use the handicapped restrooms and on our recent cruises, different ships, sometimes the dispensers for the toilet seat covers were empty.

My luggage made it but my flight to Boston was 1.5 hours late. I'm here now so that's all that counts.

With respect to the halibut in the pinnacle I found the same thing. Steaks are much better. I look forward to reading your adventures every day. Thx so much.

Glad your luggage and you made it to Boston.

May 9, 2015 Sydney

Today was a much cooler day. I don't know what the temperature was but it was chilly, particularly for the southerners. The day started off easy as we weren't due to arrive in Sydney until 11 am.

At 8 am, we went to the Shorex desk to adjust our tours because of the itinerary change. We hadn't planned a tour in Sydney but with the cancellation of Gaspe, we thought we would try to make it up with a tour here. The only available tour today was the afternoon trip to Fortress Louisbourg. Then we found out that our tour in Saguenay was cancelled because the tour (La Fabueleuse show) could not be provided one day earlier. So, now we have nothing to do in Saguenay but walk around La Baie. In Quebec City, because we are now there for two days, we have booked a 3 hour walking and carriage ride tour of the old town. The second day, we will do the antiquing that we originally planned to do there.

We did go up to the Lido for breakfast. They put on a pancake breakfast with the fiddlers from last night. DM got some crepes and met me in the Lido restaurant where it was warmer. I had a regular omelette since I'm not supposed to have pancakes/crepes. The fiddlers were very good but they were playing out by the Lido pool where it was rather cool so we didn't listen to them for very long.

After brekkie, DM decided to lie down. I took the opportunity to go to the Explorations Cafe to work on a jigsaw puzzle. There are some real keeners at the puzzle table this cruise! Some have been chomping at the bit to get working on a puzzle because the puzzles weren't available as long as we were in Code Red.

We had lunch in the Lido as well. And left shortly afterwards to poke around the shops at the cruise terminal. There are many more vendors here than I remember from 7 years ago; more inside the terminal building itself. Unfortunately, the giant fiddle by the terminal is shrouded in scaffolding and wrap. Not sure what they're doing to it; the guide didn't know.

Our tour to Louisbourg was quite interesting but very limited. Because it's so early in the season, they don't have the staff to open all the buildings. Even the gift shop was closed! Still, the tour was interesting, just not as good and extensive as it could have been. We did have hot chocolate in the Governor's House and there the maid that served us described her daily life. That was the most interesting part. The maid stayed in character for the entire discussion. DM thinks they shouldn't have operated the tour at all at this time.

Dinner tonight was pork buco, roast chicken and sweet & sour shrimp. Two of our tablemates didn't show up. Just as we sat down to dinner, the Captain came on and advised that there had been some new cases of noro and we were back to Code Red. Buns and butter were not on the table tonight; Lido is back to full service, and the jigsaw puzzles have been locked up.

Tonight's entertainment was a ventriloquist. He and his "mannequin American" were very good.

I think it will be an early night for us tonight. We have a full day tour planned for tomorrow in Charlottetown so have to be up bright & early. Good Night!

I wouldn't mind spending an extra night in Quebec City.

Most people wouldn't mind it at all. DM said that she heard people cheering in the hallway at the announcement. I was looking forward to Gaspe and our tour there. But, it's not meant to be. I'm more sorry for the locals affected by our not coming. I don't think many ships stop in Gaspe so it's a blow to their economy.

Alberta Quilter says they're out of Code Red and in Code Orange now -- hoping that will be gone too by the time they reach Montreal. :)

Back in Code Red. They'll do a deep cleaning tomorrow while in Charlottetown. Hopefully, this will eradicate the virus once and for all. For those on the May 16th cruise, just watch your email. We got our notification of the delay in embarkation two or three days prior to the cruise.

Hope you have great day in Charlottetown tomorrow. The weather looks like it will be about +20C with the sunny part of the day in the morning with chance of rain in the afternoon. Time permits (Mothers Day) would like to get down to Harbour for a few pics. But if it is raining will not be there.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

DSC06600-L.jpg

Oh no Alberta Quilter!!!

Sorry to hear the code red is back...

Feeling for you all, especially those who are sick...

I have been glued to your interesting reports - thanks so much for all your interesting knowledge sharing...

:):):)

May 10, 2015 Charlottetown

Yay, we made it to Charlottetown, PEI. Last time we cruised in this region, we were supposed to stop in Charlottetown but couldn't because of hurricane winds. This time, we were able to dock.

Today, it was a little foggy as we approached Charlottetown, the first fog that we've seen so far. As we waited for our breakfast this morning, we watched the latter part of a movie on TV. Our breakfast was received toward the end of our requested time frame but we still had plenty of time to get ready following breakfast.

It was raining lightly when we left the ship and rained a wee bit duuring our tour but the temperature got up to about 15 or 16C.

We did a private tour today with two other roll call members. Our tour guide was Billy Murray of Take the Adventure Island Tours. His wife had baked cinnamon buns and chocolate chip cookies for us to nibble on during our tour. We had a comprehensive tour of the island, first going through Charlottetown, and then driving toward the north shore before turning south to go by the bridge and back to Charlottetown. We saw beaches, lighthouses, churches, the oldest bank, house and church on the island, Cavendish beach, Green Gables house, and Confederation Bridge. We stopped for lunch at Fisherman's Wharf in North Rustico where we indulged in PEI mussels, lobsters, scallops and potatoes. The one thing we noticed is that not everything, including bathrooms, was open yet and wouldn't be for a few more days, around the 15th. All should be open for the next Maasdam stop here in Charlottetown. We started at 8:30 am and got back to the ship about 3:45 pm. It was a good day. For my brother and sister who are reading this, Mom says to tell you that she had a wonderful, lovely day today. Unfortunately, the tulips purchased at the beginning of the cruise are done now but she really enjoyed them for the past several days.

On the ship, they had a PEI mussel bake from noon until 2 pm. We were told that in addition to the mussels, they had salmon and clams. Of course, they also had salads. It sounds like it was very good.

Tonight was a formal night. According to the schedule, the formal night was supposed to be on Bar Harbor night but that was smart casual. Then we were told that it would be the following night. That ended up being smart casual too. I guess it was appropriate having formal night on Mother's Day. Most of us had shrimp cocktail and Surf & Turf. DM had Surf & Surf; she was in heaven!!! One had Rainbow Trout. One of our tablemates special ordered pecan pie for dessert. Well, it was very good. DM ordered a piece that she split with another tablemate. We will all have pecan pie in a couple of days, it was so good.

The entertainment tonight was soprano Colleen Williamson. We had seen her last year at this time, on the Amsterdam. It was just as enjoyable this time.

So, it was a thoroughly enjoyable day. I highly recommend Bill Murray and his tour of "The Gentle Island". I had thought to rent a car and drive about myself but we saw so much and got so much more information through Bill, it was worth it.

Tomorrow is another early day. We'll be at the Iles de la Madeleine, our first stop in Quebec.

May 9, 2015 Sydney

Today was a much cooler day. I don't know what the temperature was but it was chilly, particularly for the southerners. The day started off easy as we weren't due to arrive in Sydney until 11 am.

At 8 am, we went to the Shorex desk to adjust our tours because of the itinerary change. We hadn't planned a tour in Sydney but with the cancellation of Gaspe, we thought we would try to make it up with a tour here. The only available tour today was the afternoon trip to Fortress Louisbourg. Then we found out that our tour in Saguenay was cancelled because the tour (La Fabueleuse show) could not be provided one day earlier. So, now we have nothing to do in Saguenay but walk around La Baie. In Quebec City, because we are now there for two days, we have booked a 3 hour walking and carriage ride tour of the old town. The second day, we will do the antiquing that we originally planned to do there.

We did go up to the Lido for breakfast. They put on a pancake breakfast with the fiddlers from last night. DM got some crepes and met me in the Lido restaurant where it was warmer. I had a regular omelette since I'm not supposed to have pancakes/crepes. The fiddlers were very good but they were playing out by the Lido pool where it was rather cool so we didn't listen to them for very long.

After brekkie, DM decided to lie down. I took the opportunity to go to the Explorations Cafe to work on a jigsaw puzzle. There are some real keeners at the puzzle table this cruise! Some have been chomping at the bit to get working on a puzzle because the puzzles weren't available as long as we were in Code Red.

We had lunch in the Lido as well. And left shortly afterwards to poke around the shops at the cruise terminal. There are many more vendors here than I remember from 7 years ago; more inside the terminal building itself. Unfortunately, the giant fiddle by the terminal is shrouded in scaffolding and wrap. Not sure what they're doing to it; the guide didn't know.

Our tour to Louisbourg was quite interesting but very limited. Because it's so early in the season, they don't have the staff to open all the buildings. Even the gift shop was closed! Still, the tour was interesting, just not as good and extensive as it could have been. We did have hot chocolate in the Governor's House and there the maid that served us described her daily life. That was the most interesting part. The maid stayed in character for the entire discussion. DM thinks they shouldn't have operated the tour at all at this time.

Dinner tonight was pork buco, roast chicken and sweet & sour shrimp. Two of our tablemates didn't show up. Just as we sat down to dinner, the Captain came on and advised that there had been some new cases of noro and we were back to Code Red. Buns and butter were not on the table tonight; Lido is back to full service, and the jigsaw puzzles have been locked up.

Tonight's entertainment was a ventriloquist. He and his "mannequin American" were very good.

I think it will be an early night for us tonight. We have a full day tour planned for tomorrow in Charlottetown so have to be up bright & early. Good Night!

Great report.

Back in Code Red. They'll do a deep cleaning tomorrow while in Charlottetown. Hopefully, this will eradicate the virus once and for all. For those on the May 16th cruise, just watch your email. We got our notification of the delay in embarkation two or three days prior to the cruise.

Sorry to hear that you are back in Code Red.

Yay, we made it to Charlottetown, PEI. Last time we cruised in this region, we were supposed to stop in Charlottetown but couldn't because of hurricane winds. This time, we were able to dock.

Today, it was a little foggy as we approached Charlottetown, the first fog that we've seen so far. As we waited for our breakfast this morning, we watched the latter part of a movie on TV. Our breakfast was received toward the end of our requested time frame but we still had plenty of time to get ready following breakfast.

It was raining lightly when we left the ship and rained a wee bit duuring our tour but the temperature got up to about 15 or 16C.

We did a private tour today with two other roll call members. Our tour guide was Billy Murray of Take the Adventure Island Tours. His wife had baked cinnamon buns and chocolate chip cookies for us to nibble on during our tour. We had a comprehensive tour of the island, first going through Charlottetown, and then driving toward the north shore before turning south to go by the bridge and back to Charlottetown. We saw beaches, lighthouses, churches, the oldest bank, house and church on the island, Cavendish beach, Green Gables house, and Confederation Bridge. We stopped for lunch at Fisherman's Wharf in North Rustico where we indulged in PEI mussels, lobsters, scallops and potatoes. The one thing we noticed is that not everything, including bathrooms, was open yet and wouldn't be for a few more days, around the 15th. All should be open for the next Maasdam stop here in Charlottetown. We started at 8:30 am and got back to the ship about 3:45 pm. It was a good day. For my brother and sister who are reading this, Mom says to tell you that she had a wonderful, lovely day today. Unfortunately, the tulips purchased at the beginning of the cruise are done now but she really enjoyed them for the past several days.

On the ship, they had a PEI mussel bake from noon until 2 pm. We were told that in addition to the mussels, they had salmon and clams. Of course, they also had salads. It sounds like it was very good.

Tonight was a formal night. According to the schedule, the formal night was supposed to be on Bar Harbor night but that was smart casual. Then we were told that it would be the following night. That ended up being smart casual too. I guess it was appropriate having formal night on Mother's Day. Most of us had shrimp cocktail and Surf & Turf. DM had Surf & Surf; she was in heaven!!! One had Rainbow Trout. One of our tablemates special ordered pecan pie for dessert. Well, it was very good. DM ordered a piece that she split with another tablemate. We will all have pecan pie in a couple of days, it was so good.

The entertainment tonight was soprano Colleen Williamson. We had seen her last year at this time, on the Amsterdam. It was just as enjoyable this time.

So, it was a thoroughly enjoyable day. I highly recommend Bill Murray and his tour of "The Gentle Island". I had thought to rent a car and drive about myself but we saw so much and got so much more information through Bill, it was worth it.

Tomorrow is another early day. We'll be at the Iles de la Madeleine, our first stop in Quebec.

Love all your details in your reports.

One time we did a Canada/New England cruise the middle of October and found that many of the shops had closed early for the season.

Love your descriptive detail and that you and your mom had a wonderful day in PEI.

Edited by qsuzi