Live from the Maasdam - May 1 – 16, 2015 The Atlantic Coast

Alberta Quilter

Hi All,

We're just settled in the hotel in Montreal. We had a quick tour of Old Montreal with a friend of DM's before having lunch at Schwartz's (a Montreal institution since 1928). I now understand what Montreal smoked meat is supposed to be like! Now that the hotel room is ready, DM is making good use of it by having a much needed nap. I will utilize the time and the free wifi to catch up on some things.

To answer some questions from above, no, it was not because of a mother/daughter relationship that DM was not quarantined. In fact, most of the pairs that we knew, only one was sick while the other person remained healthy. The other couples were married and/or friends travelling together. Maybe it reduces the stress on the crew if the one healthy person can fetch things from the Lido or elsewhere on the ship; I don't know, that's a guess on my part. But the nurse did confirm what the Front Desk told DM, that as long as she remained symptom free, she had free rein of the ship.

They really did send in some people from Seattle. We saw two at breakfast and DM saw one at the Front Desk this morning. The two at breakfast were acting like two business men on a business trip. The one kept working at his iPad before and during breakfast. They stood out like a sore thumb on disembarkation day!! Right behind them were people discussing this cruise, their first cruise with HAL which didn't sound positive but I didn't hear much of the conversation.

Once I get my pictures downloaded, I will post as best I can.

Hi All,

We're just settled in the hotel in Montreal. We had a quick tour of Old Montreal with a friend of DM's before having lunch at Schwartz's (a Montreal institution since 1928). I now understand what Montreal smoked meat is supposed to be like! Now that the hotel room is ready, DM is making good use of it by having a much needed nap. I will utilize the time and the free wifi to catch up on some things.

To answer some questions from above, no, it was not because of a mother/daughter relationship that DM was not quarantined. In fact, most of the pairs that we knew, only one was sick while the other person remained healthy. The other couples were married and/or friends travelling together. Maybe it reduces the stress on the crew if the one healthy person can fetch things from the Lido or elsewhere on the ship; I don't know, that's a guess on my part. But the nurse did confirm what the Front Desk told DM, that as long as she remained symptom free, she had free rein of the ship.

They really did send in some people from Seattle. We saw two at breakfast and DM saw one at the Front Desk this morning. The two at breakfast were acting like two business men on a business trip. The one kept working at his iPad before and during breakfast. They stood out like a sore thumb on disembarkation day!! Right behind them were people discussing this cruise, their first cruise with HAL which didn't sound positive but I didn't hear much of the conversation.

Once I get my pictures downloaded, I will post as best I can.

GREAT to hear that you are settled into your hotel in Montreal. Thanks for clarifying the quarantined question. Looking forward to the pix.

Edited by qsuzi

AQ - sorry to hear about your problem. I was habit sick yesterday, but not real bad.

If you get your money back from the tours' will you still make 4*?

Daveokc

Edited by DaveOKC

I am surprised that your DM was not also quarantined.

I know a couple whose DH came down with the virus and both of them were told to stay in their cabin for 48 hours.

Things must have changed since then. We were told that the quarantine period was 24 hours after the last episode of symptom(s). This came even from the doctor when I spoke to him the first time as I advised I had more recent episodes since speaking with the nurse. They would have let me go after 10:30 if I hadn't admited to more episodes until 2 pm.

Thank you again, I have really enjoyed reading your reports. And so glad to hear this has been one of the best for you. We loved that cruise. So interesting to hear about what happens when you're quarantined, and the alarms :eek::eek: Very informative! So glad you're feeling better!

Yes, I thought people might be interested in that information! I had no idea; I'm sure I hadn't read about it before. I, too, had heard about a 48 hour quarantine period so was surprised to find out it was only 24 hours. And then to find out that their systems are set up so that people can't sneak off the ship while under quarantine is good to know, too. Like I said, I would have been mortified if I tried it and got caught.

AQ - sorry to hear about your problem. I was habit sick yesterday, but not real bad.

If you get your money back from the tours' will you still make 4*?

Daveokc

We did get our money back from the tours, DM's included. DM had to go down to the front desk this morning to inquire about it. She said they were really good about it and refunded it immediately. We also got back the port fees and taxes for me for two days; I'm not sure why two days worth, unless it really included DM for one day.

I doubt we'll make it to 4 star because of that refund, unless they round up VERY generously. But it does stick in one's craw to pay $360 for two tours for two people that we couldn't take. I'll let you know when I check our Mariner status in a few days.

I'm sorry you were sick, too. I hope your flights go well today and that you're feeling better. it was lovely meeting both you and your wife.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

I doubt we'll make it to 4 star because of that refund, unless they round up VERY generously. But it does stick in one's craw to pay $360 for two tours for two people that we couldn't take. I'll let you know when I check our Mariner status in a few days.

QUOTE]

I found that HAL normally does round up generously so hope they do so in your case and you become 4-star. Let us know.

thank you for your review!

thinking of taking Montreal~Boston cruise with DBF. i have a couple questions.....

1) DBF is a vegan. I am concerned about an adequate menu. Can we dine at specialty restaurant? Will they cater to his needs?

2) Do they have the rasul spa treatment?

3) Does anyone know how obstructed the ocean view cabins are?

4) can we get away with a sport jacket on formal nights?

thats all for now :confused:

Yes, I thought people might be interested in that information! I had no idea; I'm sure I hadn't read about it before. I, too, had heard about a 48 hour quarantine period so was surprised to find out it was only 24 hours. And then to find out that their systems are set up so that people can't sneak off the ship while under quarantine is good to know, too. Like I said, I would have been mortified if I tried it and got caught.

That bell went off for me once during the cruise, even though I was not quarantined. It was a bit startling at first, but OK once they rescanned me.

Things must have changed since then. We were told that the quarantine period was 24 hours after the last episode of symptom(s). This came even from the doctor when I spoke to him the first time as I advised I had more recent episodes since speaking with the nurse. They would have let me go after 10:30 if I hadn't admited to more episodes until 2 pm.

Maybe this is why the ship is still sick -- not keeping everyone in the cabin in quarantine for 48 hours.

We had a horrible flight home ... 6 people from our cruise got sick during our 6 hour flight. The crew were very professional, especially the lead flight attendant. EMT's were waiting & boarded when we landed to care for the sick.

I'm sorry to hear that but not surprised. Please see my next post...

I sure hope you and others don't get sick from being on that flight.

May 16, 2015 Montreal

We woke up bright and early this morning not because we wanted to but because we had to. Breakfast in the MDR is our way of ending the cruise. One last time of being served. All cruise, the breakfast has been served in the lower dining room. Today it was served in the upper dining room. Same staff, even Imam was there.

After breakfast, I wandered about the ship a wee bit. I was actually trying to find an open bar to buy one last bottle of water on the SBP before leaving this morning. Everything was closed this morning, even the Explorations Cafe. The shops had been sanitized sometime between closing last night at 11 pm and this morning.

We vacated our cabin about 45 minutes prior to our expected departure time so that the room stewards could sanitize the room and prepare it for the next occupants. We decided to go up to the Lido pool area so that we would be sure to be able to get on an elevator (unlike in the past when we've waited on lower decks only to find any elevator that stopped to be full of people and their luggage). We were called about 9:15 am to go to disembark.

No trouble getting on an elevator for us, but the line going out of the ship was long. Then, in the terminal, our luggage was behind another long line of people. That line also formed the taxi line outside. With all of our luggage, we did need a taxi for the short ride to the hotel. I think it was just after 10 am when we finally got our taxi.

We're staying at the Spring Hill Suites in Old Montreal for a couple of days. DM has a friend who we will be seeing during this time; we had hoped to meet her at the hotel at 10 am. Fortunately, we were at the hotel by 10:15 and she wasn't there yet. We were too early to check in but they stored our luggage for us, putting the cheese and scallops in their fridge for us (which was very accommodating of them!).

DM's friend (we'll call her DMF) arrived a few minutes later and took us on a drive through Old Montreal, well, it was really more around Old Montreal than through it. We drove by the port and saw the Maasdam as we went by, and then drove to Schwartz's Deli for a Montreal Smoked Meat sandwich. I'm not fond of smoked meat, I have to admit, but thought that I would have a turkey sandwich. I did get shamed into trying a smoked meat sandwich! I must say that I enjoyed it very much. You can order it lean, medium or, I guess, full, to describe the fat content of the meat. Both DM and I ordered it lean, while DMF ordered it medium. Ordering it lean means the sandwich is drier, we were warned. I honestly found it moist enough. DM only ate half of her sandwich and wrapped the other half for later. DMF's sandwich seemed rather fatty to me. They do serve you quite quickly here. You're in and out in a short time frame; it's not a place to linger over coffee or anything. There are lineups out the door; when we left, the line up was half way down the block. It's a cramped little deli; tables are on one side, prep area and counter with stools on the other side. There's a mirrored wall at the back which makes the place look much longer than it really is. When you're at the front of the line, you tell them how many people are in your party and when that space is available, you take it. You could be cheek by jowl with strangers, as we were. But it's a unique Montreal institution; my father ate there when he lived here many years ago, and it's very good.

Unfortunately, after lunch, DM started to feel ill. I want to stress that this is unrelated to the smoked meat sandwich that she ate since we all ate the same smoked meat, at the same place. Plus, she hadn't had much time to digest the little bit she did eat. No, this illness was exactly what I experienced a few days ago on the Maasdam. It hit DM just over three hours after leaving the ship. We quickly got her to the hotel where they thankfully had our room ready. I got her into bed and tried to reassure her that this too shall pass. However, possibly due to her age, she has had a more difficult time than I did. Her symptoms have lasted longer than mine did. We tried to follow the same rules as onboard the ship, only liquids, limited contact with anyone, etc.

She slept most of the afternoon and evening, in between trips to the bathroom. I got out a couple of times, the first to check out a local convenience store for broth and Imodium, and to eat dinner. The second time was to walk back to the port to try to see the Maasdam sail away; unfortunately, I was too late. She was already gone. After that, I made a quick trip to my bank to get some cash for the rest of the trip, and then headed back to the hotel.

I'm writing about this only to warn others that the symptoms can come on after the cruise and we all need to be aware of it. Flying under these circumstances would be brutal and would probably not be allowed by the airlines. I am glad that we have these two days here in Montreal so that we can try to get through this. DM, understandably, just wants to go home but understood when I told her that the airline wouldn't allow it. Can you imagine how many people she could infect if she flew home on a five hour flight?!! At least here, she is isolated, except for me, and has the time to recover before continuing to travel.

thank you for your review!

thinking of taking Montreal~Boston cruise with DBF. i have a couple questions.....

1) DBF is a vegan. I am concerned about an adequate menu. Can we dine at specialty restaurant? Will they cater to his needs?

I would contact Ship Services to ask questions related to a vegan menu. I'm sorry, I don't know the answers and don't want to speculate.

2) Do they have the rasul spa treatment?

Sorry, I don't know. Again, ask Ship Services.

3) Does anyone know how obstructed the ocean view cabins are?

Depends on the category. HH is fully obstructed; C is full view. The higher the letter, the better the view, although there are some exceptions. Read the legends and symbols for the categories you are interested in, and then when you think you have determined a specific room, google a phrase like HAL cabin pictures, and take a look at a very good website (can't be named here) that has lots of information and facts about the cabins.

4) can we get away with a sport jacket on formal nights? Yes, I believe you can.

thats all for now :confused:

See answers above.

May 16, 2015 Montreal

We woke up bright and early this morning not because we wanted to but because we had to. Breakfast in the MDR is our way of ending the cruise. One last time of being served. All cruise, the breakfast has been served in the lower dining room. Today it was served in the upper dining room. Same staff, even Imam was there.

After breakfast, I wandered about the ship a wee bit. I was actually trying to find an open bar to buy one last bottle of water on the SBP before leaving this morning. Everything was closed this morning, even the Explorations Cafe. The shops had been sanitized sometime between closing last night at 11 pm and this morning.

We vacated our cabin about 45 minutes prior to our expected departure time so that the room stewards could sanitize the room and prepare it for the next occupants. We decided to go up to the Lido pool area so that we would be sure to be able to get on an elevator (unlike in the past when we've waited on lower decks only to find any elevator that stopped to be full of people and their luggage). We were called about 9:15 am to go to disembark.

No trouble getting on an elevator for us, but the line going out of the ship was long. Then, in the terminal, our luggage was behind another long line of people. That line also formed the taxi line outside. With all of our luggage, we did need a taxi for the short ride to the hotel. I think it was just after 10 am when we finally got our taxi.

We're staying at the Spring Hill Suites in Old Montreal for a couple of days. DM has a friend who we will be seeing during this time; we had hoped to meet her at the hotel at 10 am. Fortunately, we were at the hotel by 10:15 and she wasn't there yet. We were too early to check in but they stored our luggage for us, putting the cheese and scallops in their fridge for us (which was very accommodating of them!).

DM's friend (we'll call her DMF) arrived a few minutes later and took us on a drive through Old Montreal, well, it was really more around Old Montreal than through it. We drove by the port and saw the Maasdam as we went by, and then drove to Schwartz's Deli for a Montreal Smoked Meat sandwich. I'm not fond of smoked meat, I have to admit, but thought that I would have a turkey sandwich. I did get shamed into trying a smoked meat sandwich! I must say that I enjoyed it very much. You can order it lean, medium or, I guess, full, to describe the fat content of the meat. Both DM and I ordered it lean, while DMF ordered it medium. Ordering it lean means the sandwich is drier, we were warned. I honestly found it moist enough. DM only ate half of her sandwich and wrapped the other half for later. DMF's sandwich seemed rather fatty to me. They do serve you quite quickly here. You're in and out in a short time frame; it's not a place to linger over coffee or anything. There are lineups out the door; when we left, the line up was half way down the block. It's a cramped little deli; tables are on one side, prep area and counter with stools on the other side. There's a mirrored wall at the back which makes the place look much longer than it really is. When you're at the front of the line, you tell them how many people are in your party and when that space is available, you take it. You could be cheek by jowl with strangers, as we were. But it's a unique Montreal institution; my father ate there when he lived here many years ago, and it's very good.

Unfortunately, after lunch, DM started to feel ill. I want to stress that this is unrelated to the smoked meat sandwich that she ate since we all ate the same smoked meat, at the same place. Plus, she hadn't had much time to digest the little bit she did eat. No, this illness was exactly what I experienced a few days ago on the Maasdam. It hit DM just over three hours after leaving the ship. We quickly got her to the hotel where they thankfully had our room ready. I got her into bed and tried to reassure her that this too shall pass. However, possibly due to her age, she has had a more difficult time than I did. Her symptoms have lasted longer than mine did. We tried to follow the same rules as onboard the ship, only liquids, limited contact with anyone, etc.

She slept most of the afternoon and evening, in between trips to the bathroom. I got out a couple of times, the first to check out a local convenience store for broth and Imodium, and to eat dinner. The second time was to walk back to the port to try to see the Maasdam sail away; unfortunately, I was too late. She was already gone. After that, I made a quick trip to my bank to get some cash for the rest of the trip, and then headed back to the hotel.

I'm writing about this only to warn others that the symptoms can come on after the cruise and we all need to be aware of it. Flying under these circumstances would be brutal and would probably not be allowed by the airlines. I am glad that we have these two days here in Montreal so that we can try to get through this. DM, understandably, just wants to go home but understood when I told her that the airline wouldn't allow it. Can you imagine how many people she could infect if she flew home on a five hour flight?!! At least here, she is isolated, except for me, and has the time to recover before continuing to travel.

My flight home was not all that great either. We did not get home until 1 AM Eastern time (which made for a long day) - weather was a slight delay but mostly a late start (3:30 PM out of Montreal - lots of Maasdam passengers on our flight by the way (seem to be most of the plane).

Anyway, I was fine on the first flight and even had a glass of wine and a snack (being in first class due to a nice price - long story). It hit me during the 3 hour layover in Atlanta, but lucky was just a "queasy" stomach and "gas". None of the other symptoms you report. The second flight ended up being 3.5 hours and I sure was happy when it was over. Made it home fine and was "OK" this morning, just a little weak. It surely is not fun being ill on a plane, so I really feel for those on that 6 hour flight. I did not notice any significant illness among the other Maasdam passengers on our first flight, but hard to say for sure.

Given all the information on the GI issues on our cruise (and afterwards), I bet alot more than 200 people got sick.

Edited by DaveOKC

May 16, 2015 Montreal

I am so sorry to hear you both got sick from the cruise. We were on the 14 day cruise ending May 1. We did not get sick, but a lot of people did. We were told that they believe the virus was brought aboard the ship in Saint Lucia, as this was the 6th or 7th day into the cruise,when people started getting sick. They interviewed the people who were sick on where they were,etc and this I guess is how they determined where the virus originated. We just kept washing our hands and using Purell constantly. I hope you both are feeling better. I do have to say that my husband had a medical, not related to the virus, and the Dr's and Nurses in the Medical Clinic provided the same care, if he had been in a hospital in a large city, very thankful for the care he received.

I have really enjoyed your live from reports...so sorry you got sick and that Mom is sick now..hope she can recover before you have to fly home..I got sick on the Oosterdam two days before we debarked....in 2008...I spent the last day in the cabin..and the flight home from San Diego to North Carolina the following day was not pleasant....I was still weak...but also full of imodium...think I had some food poisoning and not full blown Noro....I don't think I would have made the plane if it had been Noro...Thank goodness there is always the option of a hotel room..

Safe travels home and hoping your Mom is feeling better...

Sorry to hear that your mother has taken ill.

You are fortunate that you have a couple of days in Montreal before you fly home.

We're leaving Montreal tomorrow but still plan to go to the Eastern Townships of Quebec for a few days before flying home. She should be much better by the time we actually fly. She has improved since this morning; I got some medical advice and have rehydrated her.

Of course, plans may still change and she may just want to go home sooner rather than later. We will see.

Thank you for your log. We must remember to keep washing our hands while on cruises and carry the liquid disinfectant while on tours. Your log made us much more aware.

You said that the cd was a female named Jude. We have never had a cd by that name. Did you enjoy her? Did she run a good trivia? What kinds of questions did she tend to use? On our winter cruise lots of questions were centered on pop culture with almost no science, geography, history, or literature. We began to think this might be a new HAL direction, to get younger pax.