Just off Liberty from April 25 Sailing

Just got off Liberty this Morning from a 5 day Western Caribbean cruise. This was our third cruise on Liberty, the first being a 7 day out of Miami and a Med out of Barcelona so we know this sip well.

We are Diamond and stayed in GS 1252. This is not a review just a couple observations and sharing of some info.

There is one line for security. After security you the go to various check in lines based on your C&A status or Deck .

Boarding was slightly delayed. We did eventually board at around 12.10 pm. They made an announcement in the terminal that the delay was caused due to people coming off the ship late.

We were about the forth couple on board. They board suite guest first. We went to Sorentos for pizza. Good as usual. Slices noticeably smaller. No big deal. You can order as much as you want but it was our first introduction to the cost cutting.

They announced state rooms would not be ready until 1.30 which they were. We received all our bags by 3pm. Which was great.

Drill at 4 pm. Many late arrivals for drill which kept us waiting in the heat. Some improvement needs to be done about this. Not an issue if you are in an aircon lounge in a comfortable chair.

Our Balcony did have two full loungers with full cushions two chairs and a small table as I know there were some questions about that.

We received an invitations to a top tier event, a bridge tour a galley tour and a thearter tour. We did not do any.

The way it was done is you have to tick off on a card what you were interested in doing and hand it in then they would let you know day and time.

We always use the champagne bar for evening cocktails. The service if you were not sitting at the bar was bad. Several times we waited 10 minutes before someone took our order. Once we just left. Staff there seemed not motivated to serve.

Note not all wines are included in the three free drinks for Diamond and up guest. I was under the impression you could order anything and pay the difference. This is not so. On two occasions my wife ordered pino noir from vintages and asked to use the free diamond drink and was told those wines are not included. One was an $8.00 glass and the other was an $11.00 glass.

The guy in vintages is not the most friendly.

We ate Breakfast in chops and the windjammer . We ate lunch in the windjammer and we ate dinner in Portafinos, Chops, main dining room and the windjammer. All meals were good to great.

The chair hogs were out in full force on sea days . We noticed several couples using 4 chairs, two in sun and two in shade and they would go back and forth. If we noticed this you would think the chair attendants would notice it also.

Having said that it was not a personal issue for us. We live in the Caribbean and get our fair share of sun boating, we don't vacation for sun. And when my wife did want to do a little tanning she used the exclusive suite guest area which is located over the sky bar. She said several time someone would come to check to see your gold card. She found this a good thing.

If anyone has any specific questions , ask away. If I have the answer I will be glad to reply.

Thank you for sharing your experiences!! My husband and I are sailing next week onboard liberty and we are very much looking forward to our first time aboard this ship. I have heard a lot about the chair hogs ugh lol. Did you guys go down by the pools earlier on in the morning?? or was it more in the afternoon that you noticed this? how was the adult solarium???

We would walk through the solarium and pool deck around 9am on the way to breakfast and by then they were pretty full. A good percentage with just towels. The solarium seemed always full . The area around the kiddies H2o area had some seats but they were not loungers, this may be due to the fact there were very few children on this cruise.

Some nice quiet loungers just pass Jonny rockets if you don't need to sit by the pool.

Hello I was reading your review we to have sailed LOS 3 times we just returned from IOS. What I noted from our cruise that the area that needs improvement was Vintages our server was not friendly at all. Is this becoming an issue hmmm hope not we are sailing on IOS for Christmas sure hope we get a nicer server because we enjoy Vintages.

My husband and I just returned from our trip from Liberty of the Seas. We are Emerald members and 1 cruise from being Diamond. Usually we cruise in August onboard Oasis or Allure of the Seas and decided to take a short cruise onboard Liberty of the Seas.

Embarkation: This was not as bad as we thought it would be however, Oasis cruise port is much nicer. Once onboard we had a great time and all of the staff was awesome!

Each night we decided to eat in the windjammer and food was very good. We really enjoyed our bar tenders at the pool deck on 11 Herbert and Eddie, they were fabulous. The one problem we did experience was tendering into Belize. This process was horrible and Royal Caribbean should make changes and fast. Of course, we were not aware that we needed a ticket and when we did get one, it took us about 3 hours before we were able to tender. On the other hand, Belize was very nice and I would not mind visiting again. I purchased some spices, a handbag and t shirts. We also ate at Wet Lizards and the food was great.

During our time onboard Liberty we had a great time and would go back in a heartbeat. One thing I would like to say is that Oriol at guest services was AWESOME!!! We had an 8am flight and Oriol made sure that we were given special treatment to assist us in getting off early so we would not miss our flight and of course, we made it. Oriol deserve the big WOW factor. (I will never book another fight that early).

If there are any questions please ask away and I will attempt to answer. By the way we booked onboard for our next cruise in August of 2015!

Thanks for the detailed review! I have some questions Did you participate in the wine pairing dinners at Vintages? How was the concierge lounge? And how large is the area above the sky bar for suite guests? Having been in a GS on the Allure I know it will be a much different experience on the Liberty.

I was on the cruise before you. Yes we were late getting off because of customs not having enough agents. Our time was suppose to be 10am and our number was called @ 10:45.

We did go to Vintages every night for our free 3 glasses of wine, yes not all wines are available for these coupons.

Dalli was not friendly, unless you got him going. He ended up being very good with us. We would go every night and sit at the bar and he was the one that usually served us. And he would stop and talk with us every night.

We ate dinner in the dining room and though the food was very good. I agree the slices of pizza got smaller in Sorrento's. But again it was good.

We really enjoyed Liberty, and sorry to see her move to NJ.

Irene

Thanks for the detailed review! I have some questions Did you participate in the wine pairing dinners at Vintages? How was the concierge lounge? And how large is the area above the sky bar for suite guests? Having been in a GS on the Allure I know it will be a much different experience on the Liberty.

No we did not do the wine pairing. We only passed in to the concierge to get the odd cup off coffee. Never stayed in there. Just don't like the enclosed feeling in there when there are many nice places with views etc on the ship.

The sunning area above sky bar holds about 20 loungers comfortably. They already have towels put out on each lounger so don't think they are occupied. There were never more than 6 people up there at any time.

The Viking crown lounge is our favorite for sail always. The best view up there

Hi there, Thank you for doing the review. I am staying in GS 1568 (on May 6th) did you notice on your side if the whirlpools on deck 11 covered your balcony and if there was a lot of movement of chairs above you? Also was there chair hogs on the deck above the pool as my wife and I like to take the sun and go down to cool off in the pool. We will use the suite sun deck if needed.:)

Hi there, Thank you for doing the review. I am staying in GS 1568 (on May 6th) did you notice on your side if the whirlpools on deck 11 covered your balcony and if there was a lot of movement of chairs above you? Also was there chair hogs on the deck above the pool as my wife and I like to take the sun and go down to cool off in the pool. We will use the suite sun deck if needed.:)

Hi, no the whirlpools did not cover our balcony. It appeared we were about three staterooms forward of the overhang from the whirlpool.

We only heard some movement one night. Sounded like a trolley on wheels. No serious issue there.

Yes deck 11 seemed mostly full on sea days but we never got up there till after 10. So I guess that was expected.

I would like to add, we really missed the petit fours that we use to get with our champagne in the champagne bar at evening cocktail hour. They used to be shrimp or tuna some times caviea. When we asked about it the bar attendant told us it was cut out as part of the cost cutting initiative.

Not that this is an issue to anyone but she showed us that RCL were now using plain napkins in all the bars and no more printed logos on them. This was a savings on printing. To be honest we would have never realized if she did not bring it to our attention.

We did however realize the missing petit fours.

We are staying in 1568 in October. Could you let me know when you get back how it was?

Thank you!

We also just got off this cruise. We had a great time. The only notable change was that we were never offered anything to drink at dinner other than to fill the water glass. We finally asked the maître d because we hadn't seen our server in a very long time. He was very apologetic and had our bar steward come immediately. The bar steward did return every night but it wasn't the same as in past cruises. We were also never offered coffee during dessert. Not that we would have gotten any but it just seems like a logical question when taking the dessert orders. I don't know if this was a cutback issue or a wait staff training issue.

But again, this in no way hindered us from having a great trip.

I would like to add, we really missed the petit fours that we use to get with our champagne in the champagne bar at evening cocktail hour. They used to be shrimp or tuna some times caviea. When we asked about it the bar attendant told us it was cut out as part of the cost cutting initiative.

Not that this is an issue to anyone but she showed us that RCL were now using plain napkins in all the bars and no more printed logos on them. This was a savings on printing. To be honest we would have never realized if she did not bring it to our attention.

We did however realize the missing petit fours.

As silly as this sounds no more pens with the printed logos either. In fact the pens were a rarity; none in the stateroom. They were cut out on our June 2014 Allure cruise. CC posters advised others to bring pen and paper. Cocktail napkins were plain too. The champagne bar still served the plate of petit fours. It's the little touches that make a difference. All this cost cutting for higher profits at our expense and the hardworking crew ( correct me if I'm wrong) We have 71 days until we're on Liberty. I'm excited for Bermuda, but I'll keep my outlook towards RC as glass half empty.

No we did not do the wine pairing. We only passed in to the concierge to get the odd cup off coffee. Never stayed in there. Just don't like the enclosed feeling in there when there are many nice places with views etc on the ship.

The sunning area above sky bar holds about 20 loungers comfortably. They already have towels put out on each lounger so don't think they are occupied. There were never more than 6 people up there at any time.

The Viking crown lounge is our favorite for sail always. The best view up there

Regarding the sun area above the sky bar - thats just for suite guests then? What prohibits other folks from grabbing a lounger up there? You mention they check your card - is that to get up there or just periodically? Thinking this may be an excellent option to avoid the chair hog headaches. We have a JS aft for our sailing so thinking we may take advantage of this. Thanks in advance

Edited by missingyou

Regarding the sun area above the sky bar - thats just for suite guests then? What prohibits other folks from grabbing a lounger up there? You mention they check your card - is that to get up there or just periodically? Thinking this may be an excellent option to avoid the chair hog headaches. We have a JS aft for our sailing so thinking we may take advantage of this. Thanks in advance

Depends on the ship. We have seen them rigorously enforce this and ask people to leave the area after checking cards. Unfortunately it is NOT a perk for JS - only Grand Suite and above.

I've heard rumors about disappearing cocktail books and limited choices with the new price increases.

If what I've heard is correct, at any of the bars, you can still order the from the old drinks books if you can name the cocktail, but everything's priced between 10-14$ now, even the nightcaps which used to run around 6.50-7.50.

Can you confirm what's being pitched as available? I'm right on that Is-It-Worth-It cusp of a 4-5 'adventurous' new drinks a day casual cruise drinker, and waffling about a package.

I was on Liberty in March during a spring break cruise. I sailed in the same room as the OP, GS 1252.

They often were checking cards at the entrance to the suite sun deck, and sometimes came up and checked cards. They keep an eye on it for sure.

It's a great place for sail away. Center overlooking the main pool deck, nice view. We had excellent bar service up there as well. You just have to get their attention first. It does get a bit windy up there.

Just got off Liberty this Morning from a 5 day Western Caribbean cruise. This was our third cruise on Liberty, the first being a 7 day out of Miami and a Med out of Barcelona so we know this sip well.

We are Diamond and stayed in GS 1252. This is not a review just a couple observations and sharing of some info.

There is one line for security. After security you the go to various check in lines based on your C&A status or Deck .

Boarding was slightly delayed. We did eventually board at around 12.10 pm. They made an announcement in the terminal that the delay was caused due to people coming off the ship late.

We were about the forth couple on board. They board suite guest first. We went to Sorentos for pizza. Good as usual. Slices noticeably smaller. No big deal. You can order as much as you want but it was our first introduction to the cost cutting.

They announced state rooms would not be ready until 1.30 which they were. We received all our bags by 3pm. Which was great.

Drill at 4 pm. Many late arrivals for drill which kept us waiting in the heat. Some improvement needs to be done about this. Not an issue if you are in an aircon lounge in a comfortable chair.

Our Balcony did have two full loungers with full cushions two chairs and a small table as I know there were some questions about that.

We received an invitations to a top tier event, a bridge tour a galley tour and a thearter tour. We did not do any.

The way it was done is you have to tick off on a card what you were interested in doing and hand it in then they would let you know day and time.

We always use the champagne bar for evening cocktails. The service if you were not sitting at the bar was bad. Several times we waited 10 minutes before someone took our order. Once we just left. Staff there seemed not motivated to serve.

Note not all wines are included in the three free drinks for Diamond and up guest. I was under the impression you could order anything and pay the difference. This is not so. On two occasions my wife ordered pino noir from vintages and asked to use the free diamond drink and was told those wines are not included. One was an $8.00 glass and the other was an $11.00 glass.

We ate Breakfast in chops and the windjammer . We ate lunch in the windjammer and we ate dinner in Portafinos, Chops, main dining room and the windjammer. All meals were good to great.

The chair hogs were out in full force on sea days . We noticed several couples using 4 chairs, two in sun and two in shade and they would go back and forth. If we noticed this you would think the chair attendants would notice it also.

Having said that it was not a personal issue for us. We live in the Caribbean and get our fair share of sun boating, we don't vacation for sun. And when my wife did want to do a little tanning she used the exclusive suite guest area which is located over the sky bar. She said several time someone would come to check to see your gold card. She found this a good thing.

If anyone has any specific questions , ask away. If I have the answer I will be glad to reply.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise! Sounds like lounges in the Solarium are a problem with the chair hogs - how sad they don't enforce. How about getting chairs in one of the upper decks a bit away from the main pools?? Holding chairs early in the AM is not our style.

Do you recall the day for In the Air and show time and for Saturday night Fever? Others have indicated the SNF is on the last night of a 5 night sailing. Also was the White Night Party up on the pool deck??

Many thanks!

I've heard rumors about disappearing cocktail books and limited choices with the new price increases.

If what I've heard is correct, at any of the bars, you can still order the from the old drinks books if you can name the cocktail, but everything's priced between 10-14$ now, even the nightcaps which used to run around 6.50-7.50.

Can you confirm what's being pitched as available? I'm right on that Is-It-Worth-It cusp of a 4-5 'adventurous' new drinks a day casual cruise drinker, and waffling about a package.

I think pretty much anything you want they will make. For example I drink dirty vodka martinis on the rocks. Never saw that on a cocktail menu but they made it in pretty much all the bars. Never tried the pool bars. I usually have it in champagne bar, Viking lounge or boleros pre and post dinner

Glad you enjoyed your cruise! Sounds like lounges in the Solarium are a problem with the chair hogs - how sad they don't enforce. How about getting chairs in one of the upper decks a bit away from the main pools?? Holding chairs early in the AM is not our style.

Do you recall the day for In the Air and show time and for Saturday night Fever? Others have indicated the SNF is on the last night of a 5 night sailing. Also was the White Night Party up on the pool deck??

Many thanks!

Yes. I think Saturday night fever was on the last night. White night party was on the pool deck either 3rd or 4 th night it was 11pm to midnight. Party then moves to the adults only in the solarium.

DSC07655_zps6c443e15.jpg