Tivoli Gardens

dana r.

Growing up as a kid in California, I went to the local amusement parks- Disneyland, Knot's Berry Farm, Magic Mountain, etc..

As an adult, is it worthwhile to go see Tivoli Gardens or is it geard more towards children?

Will Tivoli be more or less the same experience as the amusement parks in America? You don't see those European castles in America, but we already have amusement parks in America.

If I do go to Tivoli, is there a particular can't miss ride or experience? That seems to one difference between Tivoli and Disneyland where you have to pay for the rides separately in Tivoli while the price for the rides in Disneyland is all bundled up in the admssion ticket.

Its hard to put a finger on it but there is a special atmosphere in the park.

I'm not really into all these rides but I just love to walk around and enjoy the park.

If you have the chance then go when its getting dark because the lights are wonderful.

Its possible to buy a tourpass so you can try I all but ifi had to make a to do list it would be these.

Vertigo - its hard to explain but go to YouTube and seach for Vertigo Tivoli.

Det Gyldne Tårn/The golden Tower - free fall from aprox 70 meters

The old rollorcoaster (apparently one of the oldest in the world)

Dæmonen/The Deamon rollercoaster with loops and corkscrews.

Growing up as a kid in California, I went to the local amusement parks- Disneyland, Knot's Berry Farm, Magic Mountain, etc. As an adult, is it worthwhile to go see Tivoli Gardens or is it geard more towards children? Will Tivoli be more or less the same experience as the amusement parks in America? You don't see those European castles in America, but we already have amusement parks in America. If I do go to Tivoli, is there a particular can't miss ride or experience? That seems to one difference between Tivoli and Disneyland where you have to pay for the rides separately in Tivoli while the price for the rides in Disneyland is all bundled up in the admssion ticket.

Good questions for Tivoli. As someone who has visited multiple times to both California's Disneyland and Central Florida's Disney World, one of the biggest differences is size. Tivoli is much, much smaller and more compact. You can visit there, sample it, see lots in just an hour or so. Or, spend more fun and enjoyable time there. Yes, as wisely noted by Danish viking, we just loved walking around there, seeing the various people, etc.

And with its longer history, plus being handy in its location in the central part of the town, those make it special. You can see a number of my pictures and added details below. It's not for everyone, but we loved the mix of history, people, charm, music, gardens, water features, etc., etc. We didn't do the rides. Too old to do that, plus we have been there and done that earlier at many other parks in the U.S.

For adults, the music and entertainment are major attractions with Tivoli. So much for your questions are a personal choice for what fits your interests, style. We have visited Tivoli twice. First, on a nice Sunday afternoon in July 2008. Second in late June 2010 during an evening visit that provided more charm and interest with the special lighting there, etc.

Reactions and added questions? Happy to share more.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 176,857 views. Lots of Copenhagen visuals and tips on this live/blog.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923[/b

At Tivoli, their main gate is lighted in a spectacular and welcoming manner. Walt Disney was inspired in 1950 to construct Disneyland after visiting this park in the heart of Copenhagen. Tivoli opened in 1843 and encompasses eight hectares with 1,000 trees and 400,000 summer flowers planted throughout the gardens. It boasts upwards of 40 restaurants, a Chinese-style pantomime theater, open-air concert stage, amusement park and Denmark’s longest salt-water aquarium. In the evening, the park is lighted up with Chinese lanterns, multi-colored lights, etc. That truly makes it a “Magic Kingdom” to make Disney happy. Website at: tivoligardens.com.:

TivoliGateNight.jpg

Copenhagen’s famed Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here, we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds. This park inspired Walt Disney for his great 20th Century creations! Tivoli’s history goes back to 1843. Very unique and special place that is so handy. If possible, visit there in the evening when the lighting makes things so much more magical!!:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

The water, boat and unique architecture of Tivoli. This park inspired Walt Disney with his 20th Century creations!:

1A-Copenhagen-TivoliB.jpg

Lots of outdoor dining options in Tivoli and nearby.:

1A-Copenh-TivDining.jpg

Tivoli has lots of rides including this twisting roller coaster and a swing ride that goes high in the sky.:

1A-Copenh-TivRolCoasters.jpg

1A-Copenh-TivSkyRide.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

I understand, from Terry's post, that you can see a lot in an hour. The question is as to whether or not the admission cost is worth it if you are only going to be there an hour.

We enjoyed being there for way more than an hour so it was certainly worth it to us. :)

LuLu

We're also debating whether to go or not, our cruise ship overnights in Copenhagen and there's really too many sites one can visit in the evening. So we probably will end up there for a couple of hours, just walk around and take in the sights. IMO the entrance is a little steep, but then its Denmark:D

Will Tivoli be more or less the same experience as the amusement parks in America? You don't see those European castles in America, but we already have amusement parks in America.

No. It is really an entirely different experience. More of a beautiful, charming park that happens to have some rides. We went for an evening in June and had a great time, and didn't go on any rides at all (and we love the rides at US amusement parks). Well, we did spend a while at the playground. ;) The evening we were there, there was a very important soccer match being played somewhere and they had a big screen set up on a lawn, and lots of people were there relaxing on blankets with a beer and watching the game. Great people watching, and a chance to see how Northern Europeans relax and enjoy themselves.

there's really too many sites one can visit in the evening.

When I looked at the evening options for Copenhagen, there didn't seem to be that many sites to visit in the evening.

We're also debating whether to go or not, our cruise ship overnights in Copenhagen and there's really too many sites one can visit in the evening. So we probably will end up there for a couple of hours, just walk around and take in the sights. IMO the entrance is a little steep, but then its Denmark:D

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think you have said before that the entrance is expensive but its actually only 99 kroner and that comes out at around 17-18$.

So I don't really think its expensive, but I also live here daily. :D

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think you have said before that the entrance is expensive but its actually only 99 kroner and that comes out at around 17-18$.

You are right Danish Viking, the entrance is less than $20, so not really expensive. The evening we will be in town is the European football championship finals, so some of us will probably watch the match on the big screen, that should be fun:)

We're only in in Copenhagen for the afternoon and night before our cruise. I think our flight from Paris gets in around 1pm. Our plan is to drop our luggage at the hotel and walk over to Tivoli for the evening. We decided to get the PULS pass from Tivilo but when you get to the payment page, the language doesn't stay English. So I looked up which button to click for payment and it came back "denied" by Tivoli (and then my credit card fraud alert people called so I know I put the number in right). it never asked for billing info so I wonder if that's the problem. Has anyone purchased the PULS pass online before?

Is the aquarium in the park worth seeing? It's not included with the PULS pass. Thanks!

So I looked up which button to click for payment and it came back "denied" by Tivoli (and then my credit card fraud alert people called so I know I put the number in right).

What probably happened was that Tivoli "asked" your credit card company for the payment...your CC company thought it might be fraud, so they said no...Tivoli came back to you with the "denied"...and then you got the fraud alert notice from your CC. I would try again, first letting the CC company know it's really you so they will process the charge, and then submitting the info to Tivoli.

I don't think I knew there was an aquarium...we totally missed it. :confused:

What probably happened was that Tivoli "asked" your credit card company for the payment...your CC company thought it might be fraud, so they said no...Tivoli came back to you with the "denied"...and then you got the fraud alert notice from your CC. I would try again, first letting the CC company know it's really you so they will process the charge, and then submitting the info to Tivoli.

I don't think I knew there was an aquarium...we totally missed it. :confused:

I wondered that. I sent the Tivoli people an email to ask. I don't imagine it'll sell out by June 4th :)

We were debating getting the "All Inclusive" pass and that includes the aquarium, a ride photo, and a better meal (looks kind of like the difference between quick service and table service at Disney). We ultimately decided we didn't need a better meal or a ride photo and we could add on the aquarium real time if we had time.

I think it is more than that if you plan to go on the rides. There are several nice restaurants there. A nice way to spend the evening in Copenhagen. The same way locals do.

We really enjoyed Tivoli Gardens, although we were we able to look round at our leisure as we were on a land vacation. It is very quaint and pretty. One thing to note is that there are good food options there, with some reasonably upscale eating places. I don't recall the name of the one we went to, but we had an excellent lunch. Not at all the sort of food outlet you would normally get in an amusement park.