HELP - 22 month old sick with a cold going on 1st time CRUISE- is it safe???

Please help - my 22 month old baby woke up Yesterday morning with a cold - we flu from NJ to FLORIDA an he seems to be a little sicker - IS IT SAFE TO BRING HIM on the CRUISE - it's our first time on a Cruise!

Instead of looking for advise of strangers on a cruise message boards about the medical condition of your Baby, you should look for some medical advise from a physician.

Only the ohysician can decide if your Baby is fit for travel, but you should not board with a sick Baby without having him checked before.

The flight made the symptoms appear worse. Seeing a doctor would be your best bet. That way if it isn't just viral they can give you antibiotics to treat it. Just remember, the ship has a medical facility as well. Either way, it wouldn't keep me from getting on that ship!

Hopefully, people on here won't scream at me for my answer, But, if my kids have a cold and I flew/or drove long distance, I would take them anyway and just give them cold medicine, etc., everybody gets a cold, you can have a cold w/o a fever, it's not like a 22 month old will be running around touches everything. Also, like the previous post said, depends on how bad your child is. Also wash your hands 100 times a day after you touch the baby (common sense here), also, people on cruise ships get colds in the middle of their cruise, we all just need to wash our hands, etc., I probably wouldn't let the people in the kids club babysit your child.

Just remember, the ship has a medical facility as well.

With limited Options in comparison to land based facilities and without a pediatrician and very limited equipment for treatment of babies.

Edited by Paulxyz2004

With limited Options in comparison to land based facilities and without a pediatrician and very limited equipment for treatment of babies.

Exactly. The doctor onboard is definitely not a pediatrician. And I beg to differ with the previous poster - a 22 month old touches EVERYTHING. See a doctor before boarding and hopefully you have travel insurance.

I have a 2 year old too. If she had a cold, and I was sure it was a cold (no fever, no aches and pains) I would take her on the cruise but would probably check my medical decision with a doctor or a urgent care clinic before hand. They may prescribe an antibiotic just to be safe, in case a fever develops. Even if you don't give it, you would have it with you.

I'd also get some OTC pediatric medications like sudafed and robitussin. Be prepared to treat the symptoms and to not be able to take the child into childcare.

I hope it ends up being an enjoyable vacation!

For the most piece of mind and lowest cost - Head to a urgent care / walk in clinic near the airport/port (cvs minute clinic? Care well urgent care are the places near me but not sure what port you are at). And spend some time in a steamy shower to calm the cough....the dry air on the plane coupled with likely tiredness will make symptoms flare for sure.

If your child is in daycare, I would likely use the same parental instincts I do in that situation as to whether or not I would send him to school.

I will say that colds rarely stop our family from doing things...but I always pack ibuprofen, saline, and Benadryl for my kids!! Bring some wet ones so you can wipe down his hands frequently as well (surely you might be doing this anyway)...

You will have to fill out a health care questionnaire so be prepared to answer those questions in a way you are comfortable with. The ships doctor could deny you boarding if he so chooses.

Edited by Cel_cruise

Exactly. The doctor onboard is definitely not a pediatrician. And I beg to differ with the previous poster - a 22 month old touches EVERYTHING. See a doctor before boarding and hopefully you have travel insurance.

Travel insurance would be essential here, either in the case of missing the cruise or in the case of having the Baby be treated onboard or even worse having to take it to a clinic in a foreign port, maybe even with having to get off the ship in the middle of the cruise and having to fly home.

I would only be concerned if there is a fever otherwise if it's just a cold, should be better in a few days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Edited by TeresaJ

We don't travel with children, but I do have 6 grandkids! What I've found is that kids that age have a runny nose most of the time ... especially if in Day Care. And, contrary to what some believe, if they are teething, they get cold symptoms as well ... and then there is allergies. And, as another poster said, flying to FL could also have made the symptoms worse. You are the best judge of what is going on with your child. However, all that being said, if it were me, I'd check with the doctor before going to the ship, just to be sure. Making sure the ears are clear is a good idea too. If nothing else, you can get some medication to at least make the symptoms better and your child (as well as you) more comfortable. I don't think I would bring the child to the child care facility onboard though, so as not to transfer anything and also for the child's own comfort and well being. I've been with my grandchildren over the years a lot and sometimes I pick up what they have (usually just a cold) and sometimes not. I think for a while when I was with two of them all the time and they were in Day Care I actually built up some immunity to all that! Most recently I take care of my youngest and almost one year old grandson and although he's got what I call the 'Day Care Thing' a lot, I've only gotten sick myself once this year after being with him. Check with the doctor and hopefully your child will be fine and you can also have some piece of mind. Just my 2 cents for whatever it's worth. Good Luck!

You're probably right about touches everything - sorry I guess I was picturing in my mind the mother usually is holding the baby's hand, etc.

If it is just a cold/allergies I would pack some cold meds. The health survey will ask if you or your child is sick. Allergies would be ok, not sure if cold is ok r not. In the event there is a question they will let the doctor from the ship to decide if guest is fit for travel.

If you do go to dr get him to sign off that your child is fit to travel. Someone mention CVS clinic which would be a good option, they have cvs by the hotels in FFL.

Hope you child feels better and you are able to cruise. BTW your cruise insurance will pay for the doctor and God forbid but they will pay if you are unable to travel due t illness.

Please help - my 22 month old baby woke up Yesterday morning with a cold - we flu from NJ to FLORIDA an he seems to be a little sicker - IS IT SAFE TO BRING HIM on the CRUISE - it's our first time on a Cruise!

This past summer we took my daughter on her first cruise (she was 10 months at the time). Of course, a few days before she got a cold.

To be safe we took her to the doctor to make sure we could/should go and they said absolutely go and enjoy.We took practically the whole pharmacy with us, but by day 2 she didn't need anything and the cold was gone.

as long as there is no fever I would say go and have fun. What would you be doing to treat him/her at home any differently?

We don't travel with children, but I do have 6 grandkids! What I've found is that kids that age have a runny nose most of the time ... especially if in Day Care. And, contrary to what some believe, if they are teething, they get cold symptoms as well ... and then there is allergies. And, as another poster said, flying to FL could also have made the symptoms worse. You are the best judge of what is going on with your child. However, all that being said, if it were me, I'd check with the doctor before going to the ship, just to be sure. Making sure the ears are clear is a good idea too. If nothing else, you can get some medication to at least make the symptoms better and your child (as well as you) more comfortable. I don't think I would bring the child to the child care facility onboard though, so as not to transfer anything and also for the child's own comfort and well being. I've been with my grandchildren over the years a lot and sometimes I pick up what they have (usually just a cold) and sometimes not. I think for a while when I was with two of them all the time and they were in Day Care I actually built up some immunity to all that! Most recently I take care of my youngest and almost one year old grandson and although he's got what I call the 'Day Care Thing' a lot, I've only gotten sick myself once this year after being with him. Check with the doctor and hopefully your child will be fine and you can also have some piece of mind. Just my 2 cents for whatever it's worth. Good Luck!

This sounds like a post I could have written too...the only difference is we do travel with our grandchildren at times....well said :)

As a Respiratory Therapist who works in PICU I would hghly recommend that you take your baby to Urgent Care and rule out bronchiolitis &/or RSV. While we are getting past the season that condition can be very serious in a child under two years old and I am not sure the ship would be equipped to handle a child who suddenly becomes seriously ill with RSV. It mimics a cold and children can turn very sick very quickly with it. A simple nasal swab can provide a quick diagnosis.

I don't take my son to the doctor for a cold. I don't medicate with western medicine for a cold. (sometimes homeopathy, sometimes tinctures) (for laboratory-tested and confirmed strep I will go with antibiotics, but that's not a cold) At that age his main medicine for a cold was lots and lots of nursing, so if he was feeling down while on vacation I would know that I would be spending lots of time cuddling with him.

Actually, you're reminding me of our trip when DS's canine teeth erupted. At night he was miserable with a ridiculously high fever. (DS's first fever was crazy-high and showed up with a febrile seizure, so I have a very high tolerance for a fever and they don't scare me) Under-arm, ancient mercury thermometer, it was 104 3 nights in a row. I did not medicate; we took endless tepid baths through the night, got dried and dressed, went back to sleep, another bath when he started broiling again, etc. He was 100% fine during the day, wasn't even tired.

The day after we got home, boomboomboomboom, all four canines erupted. It was the teeth.

OP does your child have any teeth about to come through?

As long as we could answer the medical questions honestly and I wasn't scared (and I'm rarely scared with DS's health), I wouldn't worry about it.

Doctors are utterly useless with diagnosing and treating colds (especially the ones who think you CAN treat a cold with western stuff), so I can't see why one would go to one.

Edited by mollyeilis

Please help - my 22 month old baby woke up Yesterday morning with a cold - we flu from NJ to FLORIDA and he seems to be a little sicker - IS IT SAFE TO BRING HIM on the CRUISE - it's our first time on a Cruise!

Best Freudian slip/misspelling EVER. :D