Navigator Medical Question

Does anyone know how the ships deal with passengers who take insulin and check their blood sugar daily. Will they give you a "sharps container" for you room or do you have to bring your own? I have someone in our group who uses insulin so I want to make sure I have the correct info for him.

Thanks

Teanne

Does anyone know how the ships deal with passengers who take insulin and check their blood sugar daily. Will they give you a "sharps container" for you room or do you have to bring your own? I have someone in our group who uses insulin so I want to make sure I have the correct info for him.

Thanks

Teanne

you can request one from Special Needs for in the cabin. also a medical fridge if his insulin requires it( the regular in cabin unit is NOT going to keep insulin cold enough)

Hi,

Never had any problem storing my insulin in the fridge in the stateroom.

As MamaC3 states "Your current insulin can be stored at room temperature"

No need to get an extra fridge to clutter up your stateroom.

Steward will gladly supply you with a sharps container, don't put your used needles in the rubbish bin, you will get told off :).

The time to not use an insulin pen is if it has gone a funny colour.

Pete

Because the correct e mail address has the underscore in it.

For whatever reason RCI has set up a couple of their common e mail addresses using the _ as a character. If you leave it out it is not a valid e mail address and will bounce back.

then I dont understand why you wrote

"Not the underscore between special and needs."

special_needs@rccl.com

Thanks

Teanne

Re: Sharps container - Just asked the cabin attendant for one.

Generally insulation users check their own blood sugar levels daily as it's very simple to do and insulation users are always trained to do so themselves. Highly doubt that the individual goes to a medical facility everyday back home to check his/her blood levels so why would they need to go to the ship's medical center each day ?

However if the individual prefers it done by the ship's medical staff he/she should be advised there will be daily charge for such service. On board medical services are not cheap nor does RCCL accept medical insurance for onboard medical services. Charges will be applied to the person's Sea pass account.

I just got back from a b2b cruise. I called rccl special needs to request a sharps box and ref. they said no problem would be in my cabin. when I got to my cabin neither were there. I talked to the cabin attendant and he said there are no ref. just the "cooler" which was not cool enough. he would get me a sharps container. well it wasn't a sharps container- just a small red box with a slit. I did find "a true" sharp containers in all the accessible bathrooms so i ended up using those containers. next time i will bring my own container (found a travel size one on amazon)

as far as keeping the extra pen cold i had the attendant keep me supplied with ice and used it to keep it cold. the "cooler" was not cold enough. i didn't think about asking the medical dept about storing the extra pen for me (don't even know if that is an option)

I contacted the special needs depth and they stated the sharps container and colder frig would be there (have to wait to see). They recommended I bring a letter from my doctor for the sygienes in case there were questions at security.