Azamara Quest drydock: moved to April 2016

BBMacLaird

Dave, that's a link to a commercial travel website and the reason why the address is being blanked out. The link provided by JVNYC on the other refit thread has better pictures.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2015/06/03/azamara-cruise-ship-makeover/28356869/

Phil

Thanks so much Phil. And to the host, was not trying to post a commercial site and cannot further edit my posts to delete the link.

Yes, from your link I can see the "Hassock" is actually another chair. Your link is better but, cannot enlarge as I could with the other site so glad there is a chair.

Edit, with Phil's excellent picture I was able to enlarge it and was shocked to see that the desk area had a lip on the front and a well behind the lip which is absolutely completely UNACCEPTABLE. Where are we supposed to plug in and view our laptops and/or other computing devices. Hoping this is a terrible error by the illustrator as have NEVER seen a desk with a lower area behind a lip!!!!!!

And, agree with the other poster regarding the furniture will be what it is once we are on board so please Larry, take what I said as recommendations for the furnishing you end up purchasing. Simply suggestions along the same lines as the new Asian restaurant which I cannot comment on having not been aboard and don't remember my DW and I ever sitting sipping wine watching the wake so different strokes for different folks.

Edited by rallydave

Thanks Dave for your link -- since I haven't sailed Azamara yet, their before-and-after pictures were very helpful to me.

As to the new suite furniture, I agree with Phil that it seems to be a glass top on the front part of the desk. Not sure how helpful that will be, but it makes the picture look particularly clean and streamlined [!] On the regular rooms, is some of the furniture (desk and table) carried over? -- the mix of light and dark wood tones seems odd.

.....On the regular rooms, is some of the furniture (desk and table) carried over? -- the mix of light and dark wood tones seems odd.

Yes, I was wondering that too. Also on the rendering it would seem that the piece of furniture on the far side of the bed is not a matching bedside cabinet.

I suspect these are just artist's impressions and the real thing will be subtly different.

Overall though, I love the new look

Thanks Dave for your link -- since I haven't sailed Azamara yet, their before-and-after pictures were very helpful to me.

As to the new suite furniture, I agree with Phil that it seems to be a glass top on the front part of the desk. Not sure how helpful that will be, but it makes the picture look particularly clean and streamlined [!] On the regular rooms, is some of the furniture (desk and table) carried over? -- the mix of light and dark wood tones seems odd.

Those little desks are the same as they have now. I pretty much take over that whole area when we cruise....make up, curling iron and all that good stuff. :D

It's also the area where I charge my devices.

Isn't the picture with the lip type counter a suite?

Just got a better look at the comparison between the Club Continental Suites before and after and am concerned.

Appears the desk/dresser under the TV on the wall is built like many in motels in that it has a lower level away from the desk where one would normally place ones suitcase during a short stay. On a cruise everyone unpacks and puts away their suitcases so why the lowering of the dresser which reduces the storage because at one row of drawers or deeper drawers are now unavailable.

Also in the current suites, I see a small couch as well as a more comfortable than desk chair plus a desk chair. In the picture of the "new" suite, there is only a big confortable chair, a desk chair and what appear to be a hassock. Can't believe the change and how do people eat at the table?? Should not have to move the desk chair to move and the hassock is less than useful. Also, where would guests in the room sit.

Sincerely hope the picture is NOT the final furniture version as it is sorely lacking and while this will be our first Azamara cruise, was certainly expecting an improved set of furniture rather than what appears in the artist rendering and is completely unaceptable.

I know it is just an artist rendering. When I'm on vacation I prefer to sit next to my husband on a love seat or couch. I'd really prefer that to 1 comfy chair and one upright chair. A table that would be raised or lowered would serve as a dual purpose coffee or dining table. Just a suggestion.

Overall we love the new look :-)

Thank you very much for your comments and insights on the plans we released this week for our Reimagine Azamara project. As Larry Pimentel has noted on another thread, we do read your posts carefully on this forum and history shows we listen and make changes where appropriate from the input you give us. Throughout the rest of the year we will share more information about the project with you, so please stay engaged with us.

We wanted to take this opportunity to clarify some information about these new additions.

Our brand new Asian-fusion restaurant outside Windows Café was conceived because of a love of Asian food by almost every nationality. We feel it is a terrific addition to the onboard dining experience.

Guests dining in Windows Café will still be able to dine outdoors in this area for breakfast, lunch, and drinks until 5pm, however, as you have gathered, at that point we’ll get ready to re-open for the evening’s Asian dining.

We will have other options to enjoy the outdoor and watch the sunset. The Pool Grill will be significantly enhanced and in the evening will offer complimentary candle lit dining with an expanded menu. This Al Fresco dining will include protected and open air seating, with the nearby stage providing live entertainment or movies under the stars on select evenings. You can feel free to bring your meal from Windows at any time to enjoy the sun, the sea, and the stars, not to mention your delicious meal.

In addition, because we appreciate your input and we’re listening to your concerns, we are looking in to adding tables to deck 10, so guests can dine and drink while enjoying a beautiful open-air sunset by the sea. There is still some planning to be done on this, but we will come back with more information at a later stage.

The Pool Bar will remain open until 11pm, so you can enjoy drinks served by your favorite bartender under the moonlight. Or those looking for an alternative outdoor option can bring the conversation up to the enhanced Deck 11, with new comfortable seating and a roaming bartender - which, by the way, is another new offering!

This all means more seating, an expanded outdoor space, and a new Asian dining experience for those wanting to enjoy a full meal or just a snack and drinks. We hope that once you board your next voyage (after drydock), you’ll love the enhanced Deck 9. And all of our other enhanced decks for that matter. Stay tuned for more updates!

Bonnie, In your last post you say:

"This all means more seating, an expanded outdoor space, and a new Asian dining experience for those wanting to enjoy a full meal or just a snack and drinks."

Could you please clarify whether or not the Asian dining will be an additional cost? I can't imagine that people would pay a full extra charge just for a snack so will this in fact be complimentary?

Thanks Bonnie for the clarification - this all seems much better and it is great to hear that the powers that be are listening!

The cruise I am on (Dubai to Athens) should very much be a warm weather cruise so I plan to spend as much time outdoors as possible :cool:

Our brand new Asian-fusion restaurant outside Windows Café was conceived because of a love of Asian food by almost every nationality. We feel it is a terrific addition to the onboard dining experience.

Guests dining in Windows Café will still be able to dine outdoors in this area for breakfast, lunch, and drinks until 5pm, however, as you have gathered, at that point we’ll get ready to re-open for the evening’s Asian dining.

Bonnie, thank you and Larry for staying so engaged with us. After our first Azamara cruise back in December, this became our new favorite line and we are splitting all our future bookings between Celebrity and Azamara. We are even more excited now by the fabulous look these ships will have after the renovations! We are so excited that an Asian-fusion dining venue is being added. It's something that we love on Celebrity's earlier Solstice Class ships and we are thrilled that Azamara will have one.

It's also great that Windows Cafe will offer outside dining during the day. This is a great compromise for those who are unhappy about it being closed off in the evening. This will accommodate those who enjoy outside dining and those (like us) who are excited about trying this fantastic-sounding cuisine in the evening.

Michael

There is nothing "less than stellar" about the ships. They are in super condition. It will be nice to see the updates when they are completed, but I've been on many cruises on Journey and Quest, most recently last month and everything is just fine. I'm on Journey again in July, no concerns. I really hate reading this stuff because it just puts first time cruisers on Azamara in the wrong frame of mind before they even step on the ship.

Phil

We are cruising on Azamara (Quest) for the fisrt time at the end of September and at the time of booking wasn't aware that both ships were going into dry dock in 2016.. After reading some comments that the ship was in need of refurbishment I am starting to get worried that this is going to be a poor experience for us on ship that was not in good condition, especially with Azamara being a premium line..So I do agree with you that first time cruisers on Azamara may be getting an inaccurate impression of the ship and could be setting themselves up for a disappointment which isn't justified..