Azamara Quest drydock: moved to April 2016

BBMacLaird

Any info on what this dry dock will entail? I am curious as I have two cruises booked for next year, and I might convince my mom to come along if I know what the ships will look like =)

Michael

Here's a link to the Cruise Critic dry dock news, scroll down for Quest and Journey (old date for QS shows on this). From the ship I heard various unsubstantiated news that the Sunset Bar will be totally revamped and even that they will add/replace some guest cabins on deck 8 that are currently officer accommodations, but as I said this was not a co firmed source. Larry Pimental certainly seems to have made known that the updates will be extensive to keep the ships competitive in the market.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=521&sr=2&sd=1

I agree relocation of the art auction desk from Mosaic. A waste of space and if you sit in one of the seats next to it the halogen display bulbs over the "art" shine in your eyes. I've never seen any guests sitting with the art auction manager there.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Here's a link to the Cruise Critic dry dock news, scroll down for Quest and Journey (old date for QS shows on this). From the ship I heard various unsubstantiated news that the Sunset Bar will be totally revamped and even that they will add/replace some guest cabins on deck 8 that are currently officer accommodations, but as I said this was not a co firmed source. Larry Pimental certainly seems to have made known that the updates will be extensive to keep the ships competitive in the market.

I agree relocation of the art auction desk from Mosaic. A waste of space and if you sit in one of the seats next to it the halogen display bulbs over the "art" shine in your eyes. I've never seen any guests sitting with the art auction manager there.

Phil

Phil-bases on pictures alone i wish this area was like oceania- they ripped out the coffee bar and it is an all day thing where our Discoveries bar is. .also that they did to seperate the piano from the slots is prefect.

also was told they are adding suite on deck 6 by using two cabins-- it would be bigger than deck 8 suites but smaller than an end suite. I am seriously thinking of moving to 6 once we know where those cabins are going

Phil

Thanks so much for the link to the chart. The plans sound good. I'm wondering what changes we can expect for the bathrooms....no shower curtains? We always book a Club Cont Suite and for the prices charged for these rooms on some itineraries next year that I'm eyeing....12 day Iceland cruise is nearly 10k pp....I would expect a little higher-end bathroom. I'm really looking forward to getting official details!

Michael

All, the details of the ship upgrades will start to be communicated on June 2 and continue periodically throughout the end of the year. There are many new and exciting enhancements taking place, we know all of you, our most loyal fans are going to love them. You will essentially have two new ships in 2016 that will continue to take you to the most destination immersive places around the world, celebrated by the best crew at sea.

We are very excited to start sharing the details of the program with you next week.

Thank you for your continued support of Azamara.

Please keep an eye out for our communication on Reimagining Azamara.

Having just come off the Quest last week I was disappointed in the general state of the carpet area outside windows and lift area ,many different stains of blue and the wear on the couch in Mosiac Cafe and chairs looking very shabby. First time I have seen either ship look so worn.

I have read all the previous posts with interest. It's clear and it's human nature that no one feels comfortable with change. But change can be good. It's a chance to embrace new beginnings, new experiences. You will always have your old and dear Azamara memories. I know we will.

It's disappointing for those that have cancelled itineraries, but look at the number of times the unexpected and the unplanned happen (in life as well!). The unexpected has certainly happened in Azamara's world before and they made the best effort they could given the circumstances. And we know also! We've had major last minute delays in the past (6 days late getting out of Australia), like we were on our way to the airport, due to a volcanic ash cloud in 2010 and more recently on May 1, a days flight delay due to mechanical issues, thankfully on the ground and not in the air. Both milestone wedding anniversaries plans in disarray at the last minute.

As with everything that we find Azamara do, they do it very well, with the utmost considerations for their guests, crew and staff's safety and comfort. Some of you will be happy and some will not, its human nature. It's so difficult in any line of business to keep everyone happy all the time.

We too would be disappointed to see the demise of our beloved Sunset Bar for that of a paid Asian speciality restaurant. We can go to an Asian restaurant anytime at home, but we can only sit and watch the oceans wake on Azamara.

Pleased to say this time our stars appear to be aligned and hopefully we'll be doing B2b 32 night post dry dock from April 15. But you know, in the big scheme of things, life's unpredictable and anything could happen. We're happy to role with the changes, after all it's a business.

I second Nordski in thanking you, aussiebird, for your reflections. You've made me remember my various travel plans that didn't go off as planned and then in the end were better than we had planned.

Yep, life's an adventure, the good, the bad and the ugly! First world problem here. What a wonderful world it would be if those energies where directed to third world problems. Safe travels everyone, that's the bottom line today!

We are quite keen to take the Quest from Singapore to Dubai in mid April and will be using BA Avios points for the flights. We would be in a right pickle if the ship was not clear of the dry docks by the given date, any comments?

Bonnie,

How do they propose to get the refit done in such a short amount of time?

The people overseeing this project have been doing this a long time. If they say it can be done, will be done, I trust it will be done in the time allotted.

I've never witnessed the process. I would imagine almost everything is ready in advance and teams of workers have precise instructions.

It would be a beautiful operation to see. I wonder if there's some time lapse video of a dry dock beginning to end out there in the blogosphere?

Bonnie,

How do they propose to get the refit done in such a short amount of time?

Hi Nancy,

In addition to lots of planning as Bonnie stated, am sure they will be working with a large crew around the clock everyday. More than likely some finishing on the first cruise after the dry dock but, this is where the yard workers make a lot of money with all that overtime.

Part of the reason for the Quest delay is that they have to procure all of the materials and have all of them waiting over in Singapore before Quest even gets there. And lots and lots of planning.

In addition to lots of planning as Bonnie stated, am sure they will be working with a large crew around the clock everyday.

This is why they don'y do these dry-docks in the US. ;)

Just got a better look at the comparison between the Club Continental Suites before and after and am concerned.

Appears the desk/dresser under the TV on the wall is built like many in motels in that it has a lower level away from the desk where one would normally place ones suitcase during a short stay. On a cruise everyone unpacks and puts away their suitcases so why the lowering of the dresser which reduces the storage because at one row of drawers or deeper drawers are now unavailable.

Also in the current suites, I see a small couch as well as a more comfortable than desk chair plus a desk chair. In the picture of the "new" suite, there is only a big confortable chair, a desk chair and what appear to be a hassock. Can't believe the change and how do people eat at the table?? Should not have to move the desk chair to move and the hassock is less than useful. Also, where would guests in the room sit.

Sincerely hope the picture is NOT the final furniture version as it is sorely lacking and while this will be our first Azamara cruise, was certainly expecting an improved set of furniture rather than what appears in the artist rendering and is completely unaceptable.

Just got a better look at the comparison between the Club Continental Suites before and after and am concerned.

Appears the desk/dresser under the TV on the wall is built like many in motels in that it has a lower level away from the desk where one would normally place ones suitcase during a short stay. On a cruise everyone unpacks and puts away their suitcases so why the lowering of the dresser which reduces the storage because at one row of drawers or deeper drawers are now unavailable.

Also in the current suites, I see a small couch as well as a more comfortable than desk chair plus a desk chair. In the picture of the "new" suite, there is only a big confortable chair, a desk chair and what appear to be a hassock. Can't believe the change and how do people eat at the table?? Should not have to move the desk chair to move and the hassock is less than useful. Also, where would guests in the room sit.

Sincerely hope the picture is NOT the final furniture version as it is sorely lacking and while this will be our first Azamara cruise, was certainly expecting an improved set of furniture rather than what appears in the artist rendering and is completely unaceptable.

Rallydave,

Thank you for your apparently well thought out observations. This post along with one of your previous posts make me think you have found a site that provides much better specifics about the pending changes than I have seen. Nothing I found had enough clarity to know that (for instance) the desk has changed in the way you describe but I did notice and wonder about the couch as you did.

Is there another site you can point me to or are you just a better observer than I am?

Thanks!

No better site than the links we've all seen. What I did was. Click on the pictures until the open an then on windows hold the Ctrl key while hitting the plus key which enlarges the picture to a point. The pictures get a bit grainy but easer to see. Sue I used was http://fla******y.com/new-ships-for-azamara/ http://fla******y.com/new-ships-for-azamara/ Hope this helps.

Tried to originally post from my iphone but, problems with the link. YOu have to copy and paste the above url. Couldn't do a link from the iphone or with this edit. Think I figured out how to do a direct link!!

Oops, won't accept such a long address it is fla******y The astericks don't work.

Edited by rallydave

i saw the same thing in the one picture i looked at. as of now -this month- to me Quest has less counter space than the JR and i have been on both many times.. I need that counter space.. ON Quest they bring i in a small table for my ice bucket etc as one table gets the flowers and the other the ice bucket. i like the new desk chair as the arms get in the way. to me he picture looked like a 3d chair.. until the furniture is brought i do not believe each picture. personally if it is just an foot rest type thing i will get it removed for a table for. my things. i am more concern about the bathroom as i can not tell about storage in there- seems they took away storage not added. .the best bathrooms are on S class ships unless i change lines.