Azamara Quest drydock: moved to April 2016

BBMacLaird

This caused my heart to skip a beat because I was thinking we were on April 30 and this was cutting it too close, but I double checked and we're on May 30. I wonder what the upgrades will consist of?

Kathy - one thing you can say about that Viking ship we all just got off - it was stunningly beautiful, even with the other problems.

Hi Amy, Yes The Star is a beautiful ship.....Hope you are doing OK?

Kathy

well, this sucks!!!!!:mad: i was so looking forward to enjoying my holidays in a new and improved cabin and enjoying my winter on the Quest.. now i wil lhave the same complaints about the stain in the carpet, drapes that do not close right etc.. now i have to wait to enjoy the new and improved ship.

as always they get us ready for something great and then put it off. Thanks MIA:mad:

I also agree with you. I was looking forward for an improved ship...

Hello All,

We are close to finalizing three new Voyages for Azamara Quest in September and October 2015. Our plan is that they will be in the system and open for sale on Tuesday 12 May 2015.

Here a few highlights -

4 night Voyage 26 Sept - 30 Sept 2015 - Nice to Barcelona featuring St. Tropez, Mahon and Palma de Mallorca

8 night Voyage 30 Sept - 8 Oct 2015 - Barcelona round trip featuring Rome, Florence, Lucca, Calvi/Corsica, Monte Carlo and Palamos

3 night Voyage 8 Oct - Barcelona to Nice featuring Corsica and Cannes

There will be very attractive reservation programs for individual sailings and back to back opportunities. We hope you still have time in your holiday schedule in 2015 to join us for these new adventures around the French and Italian Rivieras.

Thank you as always for your continued support. Azamara Club Cruise

Hello All,

We are close to finalizing three new Voyages for Azamara Quest in September and October 2015. Our plan is that they will be in the system and open for sale on Tuesday 12 May 2015.

Here a few highlights -

4 night Voyage 26 Sept - 30 Sept 2015 - Nice to Barcelona featuring St. Tropez, Mahon and Palma de Mallorca

8 night Voyage 30 Sept - 8 Oct 2015 - Barcelona round trip featuring Rome, Florence, Lucca, Calvi/Corsica, Monte Carlo and Palamos

There will be very attractive reservation programs for individual sailings and back to back opportunities. We hope you still have time in your holiday schedule in 2015 to join us for these new adventures around the French and Italian Rivieras.

Thank you for the update. We were hoping for a single cruise but can see the advantages for ACC and potential/future guests with the shorter itineraries though, of course, the additional changeovers mean more work for the (already very hardworking) crew.

We are looking forward to discovering the finalised itineraries on Tuesday.

Hello All,

Here a few highlights -

Thanks for the update Azamara Joel !

We are at a loss with recent events with Azamara cancelling cruises, long term and short term charters, "upgrading" loyalty benefits, and now after being told very recently on Quest that "you will not recognise the ship after refit" we now find that our next cruise will be on the tired Quest, and our next intended cruise is now when the ship goes into drydock, and a very attractive and different cruise is cancelled.

I suppose we are lucky in that we had not booked and made arrangements each end, but if they want to push people towards Oceania and Regent they are going the right way, whilst these two lines are upgrading ships and producing newbuilds, aggressively pricing and it seems targeting the Azamara customer profile. All in all a poor way to run a cruise line, and a very poor reward for the hard work of the excellent crew on both ships.

Perhaps time for Mr Pimentel to properly fill his role and provide some definition as to the future of Azamara, and recognise how many loyal Azamara supporters are becoming terminally aggrieved.

We too are disappointed with the change of schedule for Quest's dry dock. We were looking forward to a newly refurbished Quest when we booked our 4 back to backs beginning in December. We dearly love Azamara but the unreliability of their scheduling leaves us wondering if maybe we should look at Oceania or other cruise lines.

It is interesting to note that the ship will be in great shape for all the bare backsides on the chartered cruise.

We are on the two cruises that would have immediately followed the postponed Quest drydock and were looking forward to cruising a refurbished ship. But I am happy to hear that more extensive refurbishing is now being planned and will look forward to seeing the results of that on a Quest cruise after April 2016. The more upgrades the better, as far as I'm concerned.

We are on the two cruises that would have immediately followed the postponed Quest drydock and were looking forward to cruising a refurbished ship. But I am happy to hear that more extensive refurbishing is now being planned and will look forward to seeing the results of that on a Quest cruise after April 2016. The more upgrades the better, as far as I'm concerned.

most of the upgrades i was told about while on the Quest. Why should to take a year to do them? i know the cruise line knew far enough out to do the changes so the big question what could they be adding..

deck 5 was doing a redo- cabins and bathrooms

so the big question is what they are changing that we have to wait to after "down under" vs sept.

most of the upgrades i was told about while on the Quest. Why should to take a year to do them? i know the cruise line knew far enough out to do the changes so the big question what could they be adding..

deck 5 was doing a redo- cabins and bathrooms

so the big question is what they are changing that we have to wait to after "down under" vs sept.

Hi Robin,

It's interesting that Azamara is delaying Quest's Drydock. I'm not trying to make any excuses for Azamara. However, I will say this. I've been in charge of massive construction projects (non cruise related). No matter how much you attempt to plan everything to perfection, things that are entirely beyond your control happen, resulting in delays. In addition, when one thing goes wrong, it can set off a chain reaction of issues, thereby affecting countless other plans. Is this the case at Azamara ? I wouldn't know... but it's entirely possible.

As for why they are waiting until April ? It's probably due to Azamara waiting for Quest to return to Singapore, where the Drydock is scheduled.

Here's a way out thought : RCCL ordered a 4th Quantum class ship today, so maybe RCCL passed some additional budgeting $$$ to Azamara, which is allowing them to do more than planned. We can hope, right ? :)

Edited by Host Andy

Hello All,

Here a few highlights -

Thank you, AzamaraJoel. This looks tempting. The first 4 day cruise has fantastic ports. Saint Tropez during "les Voiles de Saint Tropez" sailing week is stunning.. Have never visited Mahon or Palma with cruise ship. Absolutely interesting:)

Hello All,

Here a few highlights -

Any idea of single supplement on these cruises?

What am I missing?

Quest is in the Med for September 2015 and Asia in April 2016. That certainly indicates to me that the facility where the dry dock refurb will take place has changed.

Many companies are reluctant to publicize problems with vendors. Is it possible that the original dry dock facility was not up to the task? As to the question of what could be added that requires a delay, we took a tour of the engine control room in April on the Quest and the chief engineer was hoping that they would get some technical system upgrades but wasn't expecting much. Maybe they decided to do some of that and there would definitely be lead time to acquire the hardware and plan the additional work.

Like Andy, I was a project manager (although not in construction) and I can assure you that large projects can often take longer to plan than to execute.

There is an old saying I remember from football, "Sweat more, bleed less" that says it all - the better the plan, the fewer things go wrong, but something always goes wrong.

Disappointment over this is two-fold (I won't even get into those who decide to worry about pre-dry dock work going on on their cruise). On the one hand, some are disappointed that they will not be sailing on a refurbished ship and others whose cruise was cancelled. Who's to say who is more inconvenienced?

Hi Robin,

It's interesting that Azamara is delaying Quest's Drydock. I'm not trying to make any excuses for Azamara. However, I will say this. I've been in charge of massive construction projects (non cruise related). No matter how much you attempt to plan everything to perfection, things that are entirely beyond your control happen, resulting in delays. In addition, when one thing goes wrong, it can set off a chain reaction of issues, thereby affecting countless other plans. Is this the case at Azamara ? I wouldn't know... but it's entirely possible.

As for why they are waiting until April ? It's probably due to Azamara waiting for Quest to return to Singapore, where the Drydock is scheduled.

Here's a way out thought : RCCL ordered a 4th Quantum class ship today, so maybe RCCL passed some additional budgeting $$$ to Azamara, which is allowing them to do more than planned. We can hope, right ? :)

Andy

Thanks for yoyr feelings on tis. .i know in the end it is always hte money. .But i can not beleive there was not a fall date before he ship left for Bali to start the winter cruises.. spending 6 weeks on a tired ship vs a redone is sad... i was told in march that both Looking Glass and caberet would be redone.. love to see the upper hal ldeck redone like oceania. .but i was promise al lthe cabins were being done from dec k8 down .htat is the real downer as they need doing..

so it will be interesting if they move JR too. sure it a money thing all going to RCI the parent not the child.

What am I missing?

Quest is in the Med for September 2015 and Asia in April 2016. That certainly indicates to me that the facility where the dry dock refurb will take place has changed.

Many companies are reluctant to publicize problems with vendors. Is it possible that the original dry dock facility was not up to the task? As to the question of what could be added that requires a delay, we took a tour of the engine control room in April on the Quest and the chief engineer was hoping that they would get some technical system upgrades but wasn't expecting much. Maybe they decided to do some of that and there would definitely be lead time to acquire the hardware and plan the additional work.

Like Andy, I was a project manager (although not in construction) and I can assure you that large projects can often take longer to plan than to execute.

There is an old saying I remember from football, "Sweat more, bleed less" that says it all - the better the plan, the fewer things go wrong, but something always goes wrong.

Disappointment over this is two-fold (I won't even get into those who decide to worry about pre-dry dock work going on on their cruise). On the one hand, some are disappointed that they will not be sailing on a refurbished ship and others whose cruise was cancelled. Who's to say who is more inconvenienced?

Go ahead, I can handle it.:) I've been on pre-drydock cruises and they can be a PITA because of prep work, not to mention that anything that's broken for a month or more out may just be patched up as inexpensively as possible to tide them over. As I said, I'd rather brace myself for that and hope that Azamara won't do it that way.

Everybody is disappointed, but clearly those who have put in for their vacation time from work or have other similar planning issues are worse off than those of us who will be sailing on the finaly voyage of the Shabby Ship (hyperbole). As long as the ports don't change (and I know that other circumstances could make that happen), our cruise isn't cancelled or shortened or suffers any other impact, I'm confident that we'll have a brilliant time.

I didn't mean my statement about folks worrying over the pre-dry dock work possibility the way it came across.

My wife worries about so many things that are out of her control that nearly never end up being much of an issue. But you seem to have a handle on it. Be mentally prepared for some issues but also be prepared to deal with them and still have a great cruise. She pretty much gets that but still puts herself through too much unnecessary stress.

I didn't mean my statement about folks worrying over the pre-dry dock work possibility the way it came across.

My wife worries about so many things that are out of her control that nearly never end up being much of an issue. But you seem to have a handle on it. Be mentally prepared for some issues but also be prepared to deal with them and still have a great cruise. She pretty much gets that but still puts herself through too much unnecessary stress.

LOL, perhaps she and I are twin sister of different mothers.

Bonnie, can you tell us what, if any, of the suggestions supplied under "Azamara Asks" will be implemented? We're on the Singapore cruise commencing 15 Apr 2016 and it'd be nice to have a sense of what we might expect.

Thanks

Tony

Bonnie, can you tell us what, if any, of the suggestions supplied under "Azamara Asks" will be implemented? We're on the Singapore cruise commencing 15 Apr 2016 and it'd be nice to have a sense of what we might expect.

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

As a generality I can tell you that the feedback we garner from the Azamara Asks forum is invaluable to the various departments. But I am not privy to the various strategic planning meetings so I don't know what discussions are ongoing or decisions the teams are deciding upon (as a direct result of member feedback I mean.)

Is there a specific question you're wondering about re your April sailing?

Hello All,

Here a few highlights -

I have seen ads for these cruises in UK TAs and nothing mentioned on Azamara web site. Are you selling these UK only and keeping the rest of us in the dark???:confused:

Coincidentally oddjob16, I've been told the three sailings are now up and available but I can't find them either. Just before you posted I'd sent an email to the office telling them to flip the switch (or whatever has to be done.)

Coincidentally oddjob16, I've been told the three sailings are now up and available but I can't find them either. Just before you posted I'd sent an email to the office telling them to flip the switch (or whatever has to be done.)

Thanks, Bonnie. Sent a mail to my TA so that I'm in the loop on this one. Maybe I'm just too early. Love the fact that you were ahead of me. "Flip the switch". You just put a smile on my face. :)

Edited by oddjob16