HAL Newbie/Oosterdam Questions

Not new to cruising (Celebrity 5 times, RCI 1 time, all Caribbean cruises). We have an opportunity to sail HAL next year and because of the itinerary I picked the Oosterdam (not booked, still deciding). This itinereary takes us to 4 ports we have not been to before and 2 ports visited about 5 years ago.

I looked at the Cruise Critic member reviews and it was one nasty review after another. Am I missing something? Does anyone have anything positive to say about this ship?

We are restricted to either HAL or Princess (it's a gift and these are the 2 preferred lines for the gift giver). HAL gave us a more diverse itinerary as the Princess ports would be all repeats for us.

Any insight for a HAL newbie on the Oosterdam?

Not new to cruising (Celebrity 5 times, RCI 1 time, all Caribbean cruises). We have an opportunity to sail HAL next year and because of the itinerary I picked the Oosterdam (not booked, still deciding). This itinereary takes us to 4 ports we have not been to before and 2 ports visited about 5 years ago.

I looked at the Cruise Critic member reviews and it was one nasty review after another. Am I missing something? Does anyone have anything positive to say about this ship?

We are restricted to either HAL or Princess (it's a gift and these are the 2 preferred lines for the gift giver). HAL gave us a more diverse itinerary as the Princess ports would be all repeats for us.

Any insight for a HAL newbie on the Oosterdam?

We haven't been on the Oosterdam in years but didn't hesitate to book our October cruise on it.

Dan

We are booked on the Oosterdam for the Aug 30 Alaska voyage from Vancouver to Seward, and have also been concerned about some of the negative reviews we have seen. We would appreciate updates from recent Oosterdam cruisers.

Thanks -

ponstad

I have no idea why the oosterdam gets bad reviews. I have been on it 3 times. Last July we took her to Alaska. I LOVE that ship. always in great shape and wonderful crew. I don't know what anyone would have to complain about.:confused:

I have no idea why the oosterdam gets bad reviews. I have been on it 3 times. Last July we took her to Alaska. I LOVE that ship. always in great shape and wonderful crew. I don't know what anyone would have to complain about.:confused:

Good evening!

Loved your reports on her with Alaska!

I agree with you! We love Oosterdam, been on her going to Hawaii, and several Mexican cruises, she is a Fav!

Denise:)

Thanks for the replies. I believe a cruise is what you make it...expect a bad time and you will indeed have a bad time.

I just couldn't believe all the bad reviews. I knew someone here would have a more positive attitude. Glad to hear there are so many repeat cruisers on her!!

We'll be on her beginning this Sunday. First time on HAL so I won't have anything to compare with.

IMO, I think many people are quick to complain in a public arena, but fewer take the time to leave positive remarks.

I'm also sailing on the Oosterdam in Sept for the first time on Holland. I saw some negative reviews, but I didn't let that interfere with my decision. I agree with the other posting -- a cruise is what you make it.:D I plan to have a great time! In fact, I'm hoping I will like HAL enough to start booking future cruises with them.:)

Edited by BSR

As we all know you can read two different reviews for the same sailing on the same ship and scratch your head and think how could the experience be so different?

Personally I loved the Oosterdam. Sure it's always easy to find things you don't like but I thought overall the ship was wonderful.

Four star mariner and over 60 cruises total on a variety of lines so perhaps my expectations are a bit more realistic than some reviewers or maybe I am just lucky.

Sailed on the Ooosterdam in Jam and Feb this year - 28 days. No complaints at all as we had a wonderful time. I am often confused by some reviews as I was a bit nervous after reading previous reviews of Oosterdam.:)

Influenza B and A throughout crew and guests. Crew was very good, food poor, decor worn. Just spent 36 days onboard. I will post full review once we get home. Take all precaution against flu. Northern Hemisphere vacine from this past winter will not protect you.

Influenza B and A throughout crew and guests. Crew was very good, food poor, decor worn. Just spent 36 days onboard. I will post full review once we get home. Take all precaution against flu. Northern Hemisphere vacine from this past winter will not protect you.

I will be very interested to read the revire.

So sorry for all who were affected by the Influenza. Makes it tough on crew and guests. Hope you still enjoyed the cruise and look forward to your review. I haven't been on this ship for over 5 years but did enjoy our time and of course the crew members. I remember it was a well run ship at that time.

We also just disembarked from 36 days on the Oosterdam. We had a great time, enjoyed the fine service from the ship's crew.

Food on any cruise ship is always subjective to different taste. Our table of six and many others on our Roll Call all agreed food was good and service was great. We had late fixed upper eight dining and we were usually done by 9:20.

Many of us commented on how this ship could have so many bad reviews. Our experience they are not warranted and our overall experience was excellent.

The ship did have a ton of URI cases and I was one of them.

I went to the ship's doctor and received medication that got me back on my feet. As my wife and I were on a post cruise excursion here in Vancouver today there were some cruisers still hacking away and bad mouthing the ship because of it and they were still coughing in their hands or not covering their coughing? :mad: So one can probably assume many of the URI victims will be rendering bad reviews.

Entertainment was the best we have experienced with a great selection of headliners.

More review upon our return.

Bottom line we would get back on the ship tomorrow and enjoy sailing with the Oosterdam's great officers and crew.

Enjoy your cruise on the MS Oosterdam.

We also just disembarked from 36 days on the Oosterdam. We had a great time, enjoyed the fine service from the ship's crew.

Food on any cruise ship is always subjective to different taste. Our table of six and many others on our Roll Call all agreed food was good and service was great. We had late fixed upper eight dining and we were usually done by 9:20.

Many of us commented on how this ship could have so many bad reviews. Our experience they are not warranted and our overall experience was excellent.

The ship did have a ton of URI cases and I was one of them.

I went to the ship's doctor and received medication that got me back on my feet. As my wife and I were on a post cruise excursion here in Vancouver today there were some cruisers still hacking away and bad mouthing the ship because of it and they were still coughing in their hands or not covering their coughing? :mad: So one can probably assume many of the URI victims will be rendering bad reviews.

Entertainment was the best we have experienced with a great selection of headliners.

More review upon our return.

Bottom line we would get back on the ship tomorrow and enjoy sailing with the Oosterdam's great officers and crew.

Enjoy your cruise on the MS Oosterdam.

Glad you are feeling better Bruce.

I thought the entertainment was very good on this cruise, although we were not able to go to all the shows.

As an experienced cruiser, you know that there is good and bad on every cruise. I don't think that contracting influenza warrants a bad review of a cruise. Hopefully, any and all reviewers of this cruise are objective in their reviews.

I have to assume that your cabin did not have the same problems other cabins experienced. I would assume that your sinks were not cracked, and that your bathtub did not leak from said cracks. I am also assuming that you did not have an HVAC unit that did not work, or electrical shorts in the outlets. Fortunately, when the problem was reported it was eventually repaired after several days (there is that crew again!).

All ships age and 'things' get worn out. I believe the issue is the importance of maintaining the ship and it's cabins...upper and lower categories. I think the public areas of the ship were maintained much better then the private areas (cabins). I noticed worn upholstery, chairs and carpet. That is typical and common for a ship the age of the 'O',and with any and all cruise lines. Would that prevent me from sailing on the Oosterdam again...certainly not. Would having electrical power surges, power outages, a non working HVAC system for two+ days, leaking sinks and bathtubs, and brown water in the toilet and coming from the sink faucet prevent me from sailing on the 'O' again...maybe.

Give me a few days, and I will certainly post a (hopefully) fair and objective review of our cruise experience on the 'O'.

These last two opinions are so helpful.

Yes, food is so subjective and we are NOT foodies. My only gripe might be chicken so overdone it's nearly jerky, but that doesn't happen too often on a cruise. And there is always something else to choose if that happens.

Entertainment is something hit or miss for us. We usually have to get up early for an excursion so we tend to eat on the early side. By doing this we frequently miss the show in the theater. So we grab a drink at a bar and call it entertainment.

The status or decor of a ship doesn't bother me. The hallways and main rooms on a cruise ship are overused, and wear and tear will show. As I watch the waves unfold on the aft of a ship next to a worn spot in the carpet does not affect me at all.

'Nuff said. I think I'm going for it!!

Thanks for all the help in making my decision.

Yes, food is so subjective and we are NOT foodies. My only gripe might be chicken so overdone it's nearly jerky, but that doesn't happen too often on a cruise. And there is always something else to choose if that happens.

Entertainment is something hit or miss for us. We usually have to get up early for an excursion so we tend to eat on the early side. By doing this we frequently miss the show in the theater. So we grab a drink at a bar and call it entertainment.

The status or decor of a ship doesn't bother me. The hallways and main rooms on a cruise ship are overused, and wear and tear will show. As I watch the waves unfold on the aft of a ship next to a worn spot in the carpet does not affect me at all.

The Dive In serves excellent hamburgers, and the Canaletto Italian dining was very good. The Crows Nest is a great place to read, watch the ocean, play Pub Trivia and generally relax. The regular coffee...room service/lido/or dining room is the best I have had on any cruise line. There was no need to buy 'good' coffee, as on other lines. Have a wonderful trip!

Wise, I think. Not as experienced as you but all 3 cruises on Celebrity had me a bit cautious when decided on O for Alaska later this month. Read several reviews on each side of the fence and agree with most above that there is plenty to like and if you want to enjoy you will. Just subscribed to a live review of O for her first Alaska cruise of the year right now and so far sounds so good.

- Joel

Wise, I think. Not as experienced as you but all 3 cruises on Celebrity had me a bit cautious when decided on O for Alaska later this month. Read several reviews on each side of the fence and agree with most above that there is plenty to like and if you want to enjoy you will. Just subscribed to a live review of O for her first Alaska cruise of the year right now and so far sounds so good.

- Joel

How do I subscribe to that?

We cruised on the Oosterdam last year July on a 7 night journey from Seward Alaska to Vancouver. It wad our first cruise ever and we absolutely loved it. The ship is in excellent condition with some maintenance on carpets and extetior painting even ongoing on port days (didn't bother us at all, but showed the dedication of the crew to keep the ship right up there). The crew was excellent. Our cabin attendant (Gdee) a truely friendly guy and the MDR crew a good and professional team. I cannot understand why people would speak badly about the Oosterdam and have come to appreciate that probably those who do probably are biased in some sort of way. Not saying that nobody could find a glitch somewhere, but bashing it is really inappropriate.

Loved the cruise overall, loved Alaksa and it's beautiful nature even more and got hooked for life on cruising thanks to it. So for us, the Oosterdam did the job!

I was amazed to read that the URI infection was still going strong on the O. We were on her for 12 days in Feb. & many, many people were sick, including 2 of our group of 4. And for me, it was not a "normal average" cold. Most people who had it were so sick they could not leave their beds for a couple of days & the cough lingered for weeks. Otherwise, we enjoyed the ship & had no issues. But if you are going on her anytime soon, just be prepared. Maybe travel w/a ZPack so you can treat it yourself at first sign.

We are booked on the Oosterdam for the Aug 30 Alaska voyage from Vancouver to Seward, and have also been concerned about some of the negative reviews we have seen. We would appreciate updates from recent Oosterdam cruisers.

Thanks -

ponstad

I think the ship is scheduled for dry dock in May 2016 so the worn carpets etc. could possibly be replaced? Our first HAL cruise will be on Oosterdam in March2016.