is it safe to brush our teeth with bathroom water in cabin?

earl06

Drinking lemonade or bathroom water doesn't give you Noro. I truly hope you didn't have Noro, but if you did, I hope you reported it and quarantined yourself in your cabin. That's a terrible illness you don't want to be spreading around.

They may have a point re the water....

Last year on the Eclipse I felt decidedly unwell the following morning after drinking the water the night before. I'd had water with each of my 5 red wines and water with each of the 6 large Scotches I had - so by a process of elimination it has to be the water.

I'd be very surprised that anything loaded with sugar (Lemonade syrup) would get a bacteria in it that would make you ill as sugar is a preservative

Yes, but alcohol kills germs so you should have been safe. :D

They may have a point re the water....

Last year on the Eclipse I felt decidedly unwell the following morning after drinking the water the night before. I'd had water with each of my 5 red wines and water with each of the 6 large Scotches I had - so by a process of elimination it has to be the water.

I'd be very surprised that anything loaded with sugar (Lemonade syrup) would get a bacteria in it that would make you ill as sugar is a preservative

LOL - that's a good one.

Thanks for the laugh :D

lemonade from the buffet is made with the ship water from the sea... but filtered... ;)

If you were sick from the lemonade, why would you want to know about brushing your teeth? Two separate things, no?

I don't think they make the lemonade using bathroom water.

I personally have a hard time with the lemonade. I find it a bit too acidic and it upsets my stomach. I love how it tastes but I usually have to water it down a bit (with....ship water). My husband can drink gallons of it though, and it doesn't bother him at all.

And we always use the bathroom water when we brush our teeth. We've never been sick from it.

The cruise ships use the same process to purify their water that the companies who "make" bottled water use. (Uh, yeah, bottled water is mostly from the same water sources that tap water comes from. Even the companies that bottle water from "springs" still have to process and purify it.

The water on a ship is as safe as bottled water.

Could there be contamination from within the pipes? Yes, just as there could be in the pipes in any home, business, spring, well, processing and/or bottling plant, etc.

Is it likely to make only a handful of people ill? Not a chance. If the water were contaminated enough to make anyone sick, nearly everyone (staff included) would be sick. That would be very noticeable.

I wont be banned as I know how to conduct myself in a proper, respectful way.. no worries apology accepted

I am just stating facts, and emphasizing the important words. I am not being rude, and I am not being condescending. Sorry that you took it that way.

I am simply telling you that it is not possible that you got sick from the ship's water, when no one else did.

If you and your hubby were BOTH sick, then it was something that you and he both had - perhaps a stomach virus.

You can get banned here as well - anyone can. LOL

As someone else said, water does NOT give you norovirus.

If you had it, and you did NOT seek medical treatment and/or quarantine yourself in your room, then you would have spread it to hundreds of other people.

The water is safe to drink.

If you are really so concerned about the safety of the water, perhaps a land vacation might be more comfortable for you.

I hear those all-inclusive resorts in Mexico are nice :cool:

I wonder if the incidents of noro are more common on the Caribbean cruises, we are doing 18 nights in Europe and last 20 day cruise in Europe on Holland no issues at all, except I felt like everyones grandchild on there... felt out of place...;)

The cruise ships use the same process to purify their water that the companies who "make" bottled water use. (Uh, yeah, bottled water is mostly from the same water sources that tap water comes from. Even the companies that bottle water from "springs" still have to process and purify it.

The water on a ship is as safe as bottled water.

There is a reason it's called Naive er .. Evian

Seriously though... Norovirus aside I'd be much more suspicious of food giving you a slightly upset tummy than anything else. Rice, is one of the surprising foods that is particularly notorious as it quickly generates Bacillus Cereus, un unpleasant toxin.

How is that the lemonade only made these passengers sick and not the entire ship? That is so weird.

Did they talk to anyone else that got sick from the lemonade?

DH and I drink the lemonade on every cruise we've been on and we've been on 23.

Yes, the water is safe to drink. If you ate any soup, drank anything not canned or bottled, or used ice and did not get sick, and felt better when not drinking lemonade then it was the lemonade, not the water, that made you sick.

Enjoy your cruise but avoid lemonade.

.... If you ate any soup, drank anything not canned or bottled, or used ice and did not get sick, and felt better when not drinking lemonade then it was the lemonade, not the water, that made you sick.

unless the non drinking of the lemonade is purely coincidental.

Correlation does not imply causation.

A group on our cruise did a cooking class (private excursion) and two of them got sick, the rest did not. What did the two have in common? They drank the water. They might have blamed ship water, but they realized ship water on most lines is safer than water in your home while water in the towns may not be so safe.

Edited by debdiva

OP - The link you provided was a record of reported norovirus which is not transmitted via water, so I am unsure why you posted it. Not that it is related to your issue, but that report has very, very low numbers, less than 200 passengers an only 8 crewmembers.

If there was something in the ship's water causing illness on your sailing those numbers would have been much, much higher as the same water is used for lemonade, tea, coffee, cooking, ice, as well as everyone drinking it, bathing in it and brushing teeth with it.

I

I don't think they make the lemonade using bathroom water..

There really isn't such a thing as "bathroom water". Water that's available in the bathroom is the same water that's available everywhere on the ship (or your house). So yes, the lemonade is probably made with the same water that flows in the bathroom.