Grand Post-Drydock

I don't see any other threads on the Grand. There's one on the Golden already. Both just came out of drydock.

Actually it was only a wetdock for the Grand - they only had a bit more than a week to do repairs. When I was on the ship just before the wetdock, staff were saying that it was nothing major - repairs, carpets, refurbishment type things. Someone else mentioned some exterior painting of the ship.

Edited by cpcanuck

We were in Vancouver where we were supposed to be on the Grand's May 1-5 cruise which was chartered, then canceled (long thread a while ago). We walked around both sides. Mostly they were painting. One side was done when we left on the train back to Toronto on Tues. night. They were working on the other side. Maybe there were mechanical problems, but my personal opinion is the cruise was not selling well...We did benefit in one way; because of the lack of cruise passengers, Pan Pacific upgraded us to a very nice harbor room. Princess gave us each $15 toward another cruise for our loss.

We just returned from the May 9 Northbound. I was concerned because of the posts, but the Grand was in great shape IMO. It was our first sailing on Princess, so I can't really compare furnishings.

There was a bit of a musty smell in the starboard Caribe hallway when we boarded, and they had a fan going. The next day both the fan and smell were gone. I also spotted 1 tiny drip in the midship elevator lobby. No bucket, and I never saw it again. The furniture in Explorers wasn't too comfortable - it was definitely worn, but the issue seemed to be with design rather than wear. We also had an "electrical fault" that caused a "spurious" alarm around 4:30am on Glacier Bay day, but that just helped everyone get up and see the glaciers.

Generally though, the ship seemed fresh and I have no complaints. We had a great cruise with fabulous weather and Alaska is breathtaking. I wish I could've stayed and sailed back ;)

I hope to start a full trip report soon.

We just returned from the May 9 Northbound. I was concerned because of the posts, but the Grand was in great shape IMO. It was our first sailing on Princess, so I can't really compare furnishings.

There was a bit of a musty smell in the starboard Caribe hallway when we boarded, and they had a fan going. The next day both the fan and smell were gone. I also spotted 1 tiny drip in the midship elevator lobby. No bucket, and I never saw it again. The furniture in Explorers wasn't too comfortable - it was definitely worn, but the issue seemed to be with design rather than wear. We also had an "electrical fault" that caused a "spurious" alarm around 4:30am on Glacier Bay day, but that just helped everyone get up and see the glaciers.

Generally though, the ship seemed fresh and I have no complaints. We had a great cruise with fabulous weather and Alaska is breathtaking. I wish I could've stayed and sailed back ;)

I hope to start a full trip report soon.

Thanks for the comments. :)

We heard from an engineer's wife ( who had tea with us on Hawaii sailing) they were mainly bringing the propulsion propeller system up to date with the latest system. She didn't seem to think too many other repairs would take place. From analog to digital after 33 years

Edited by Boston Accent

We were also on the Grand for the May 9 NB Alaska cruise. When we first went to our cabin (Caribe, port side forward), there was a distinct musty smell and the hot-air blowers were in the corridor. To make matters worse, the toilet in the first cabin (we were in the third) began gushing water heavily when it was first flushed. This caused a flood into the hall and also into the second cabin. The carpet by our bathroom also got wet. The blowers were in the hall and cabins for two days. It took several more for the mustiness to dissipate. Other than that, offensive smells were not noticeable for the rest of the cruise, although there were leaks here and there.

Is the Grand showing its age? Yes, but these flaws are hardly deal-killers. Even if the weather had not been great and the scenery magnificent, we would have still had a great cruise because the crew did a fantastic job. My wife remarked several times that they all seemed happy with their jobs. Our cabin steward was a seasoned professional: friendly, efficient, and intuitive without the least hint of intrusiveness. While this is generally true of Princess, I also wonder if staff don't "pick up their game" on the older ships that need the extra bit of TLC. That was certainly the case on the Pacific Princess and the Celebrity Century when we sailed on them.

Just got back from the 16th sailing on the Grand. It looked great. No smells. No drips. No plumbing problems onmy part. Food was great. Crew was fantastic. Entertainment was wonderful. Scenery was fantastic! I highly recommend the Grand.

Just back from the May 16 sailing. The Grand was grand and I loved it, but there were drips and pails and I met a family that needed their room changed because of a drip. There were also some plumbing problems in the dolphin 500s, odd numbered side that were cleared up pretty quickly. And oh yes, we were awakened at 4:30 one morning for an emergency in the engine control room. However do not fret, I would sail her again next week if I could.