What is different between NCL and more expensive cruise lines?

kessdarln

I have the top level loyalty status on Princess, NCL and the next to highest on Celebrity and I find the major difference to be demographics. NCL seems to cater to younger families with kids. NCL has water slides and kids programs, shorter cruises and mediocre food. Princess and Celebrity, while they offer kids programs, do not set up the main pool area for primary use by kids (think no slides less noise). The food tends to better because their older passengers expect it and dining is not just about food to feed the family but enjoying a relaxing multi-course meal.

First let me say that I am a suite cruiser. I started in a balcony on my first 2 cruises, both NCL. I found those rooms to be so very small that when I went to my first mini suite on RCCL I did not look back at NCL for 10+ years. What I am not liking about NCL even after my last 2 of 3 cruises being on the Dawn is the downsizing of the balconies. NCL figured out that the larger the balcony the more likely you are going to stay in your room and not go out to the bars and such. I am not a bar person at all and love sitting on my balcony, especially in the Caribbean. I booked the first 3 night cruise on the Escape just to see the new ship but even then my TA warned me they have gone to the smallest balconies in the industry on the newer ships. That is bad in my book.

Celebrity is the best of the class ship you are talking about to me. The food is incredible. Agree about the best meals I ever had were in the Normandie. So good that we ate there 5 out of 7 nights. They do have small cabins until you get to the true suite but then they outshine all on service and amenities. Also if you read the boards on NCL much, you will see the unbelievable posts about what to tip a butler. Celebrity has that service fee if you have a butler and it is about $6 a day. Yes, I have tipped more as the best butler I ever had was on Celebrity. Again they just do it with more class. I have felt on the last 2 NCL cruises with the butlers I was not a priority as they have so many cabins.

HAL certainly has great food and the top notch service across the board. As mentioned in a previous post, sofas and bathtubs in lower class cabins. Having had knee issues for 15+ years, a bathtub of hot water in the middle of the night is wonderful. So that is one of the main reasons I stepped up to suites, no bathtub except on HAL in anything less.

Princess was more upscale to me when I went on them but that has been quite a few years so I cannot answer to what I am reading about now with the latest changes.

RCCL is a good across the board and I recommend it often for first time cruisers as it covers families, shows, and so much more. If you have never cruised and you do not know what you will really end up liking to do on a ship, then RCCL can give you a glimpse of all. What I do NOT like on RCCL is no butlers in any category. Even on HAL, if you go to the very high end, you get a butler.

Having said all of the above, I went back to NCL for the Family 2 bedroom suite as my friend and I just wanted a week of peace and quiet and each had our own bath and bedroom. But after this last one, other than trying the new Escape, I have gone back to Celebrity for an Alaska cruise where I want to do more than just read, snorkel, and enjoy my meals. And it is worth it to me on cruises outside of the Caribbean to pay the upscale price to get what I want.

Hope this helps. Julia

I am genuinely curious, what is attractive to customers on the other, more expensive cruise lines? How is the experience different? What makes it worth paying the higher price on HAL, Princess, RCCL, Celebrity? (Not the super expensive lines). I buy based on cost so I'm interested about what is different.

Please DO NOT answer with comments about the recent policy changes. I am NOT asking for more complaints about the new policies.. that's being beaten to death in other posts.

I never thought HAL, Princess, RCCL or Celebrity were more expensive than NCL. We have always priced NCL against other cruise line and they always come out very close. Now if your talking about Silversea or Regent........

First let me say that I am a suite cruiser. I started in a balcony on my first 2 cruises, both NCL. I found those rooms to be so very small that when I went to my first mini suite on RCCL I did not look back at NCL for 10+ years. What I am not liking about NCL even after my last 2 of 3 cruises being on the Dawn is the downsizing of the balconies. NCL figured out that the larger the balcony the more likely you are going to stay in your room and not go out to the bars and such. I am not a bar person at all and love sitting on my balcony, especially in the Caribbean. I booked the first 3 night cruise on the Escape just to see the new ship but even then my TA warned me they have gone to the smallest balconies in the industry on the newer ships. That is bad in my book.

Celebrity is the best of the class ship you are talking about to me. The food is incredible. Agree about the best meals I ever had were in the Normandie. So good that we ate there 5 out of 7 nights. They do have small cabins until you get to the true suite but then they outshine all on service and amenities. Also if you read the boards on NCL much, you will see the unbelievable posts about what to tip a butler. Celebrity has that service fee if you have a butler and it is about $6 a day. Yes, I have tipped more as the best butler I ever had was on Celebrity. Again they just do it with more class. I have felt on the last 2 NCL cruises with the butlers I was not a priority as they have so many cabins.

HAL certainly has great food and the top notch service across the board. As mentioned in a previous post, sofas and bathtubs in lower class cabins. Having had knee issues for 15+ years, a bathtub of hot water in the middle of the night is wonderful. So that is one of the main reasons I stepped up to suites, no bathtub except on HAL in anything less.

Princess was more upscale to me when I went on them but that has been quite a few years so I cannot answer to what I am reading about now with the latest changes.

RCCL is a good across the board and I recommend it often for first time cruisers as it covers families, shows, and so much more. If you have never cruised and you do not know what you will really end up liking to do on a ship, then RCCL can give you a glimpse of all. What I do NOT like on RCCL is no butlers in any category. Even on HAL, if you go to the very high end, you get a butler.

Having said all of the above, I went back to NCL for the Family 2 bedroom suite as my friend and I just wanted a week of peace and quiet and each had our own bath and bedroom. But after this last one, other than trying the new Escape, I have gone back to Celebrity for an Alaska cruise where I want to do more than just read, snorkel, and enjoy my meals. And it is worth it to me on cruises outside of the Caribbean to pay the upscale price to get what I want.

Hope this helps. Julia

Thanks for the info. On Celebrity is it $6 per person per day added like an auto-gratuity for the butler? Is there a concierge?

Thanks for the info. On Celebrity is it $6 per person per day added like an auto-gratuity for the butler? Is there a concierge?
Here is their policy:

Q: How are gratuities handled onboard?A: For your convenience, we automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion:

• $12 per person per day in staterooms

• $12.50 per person per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms

• $15.50 per person per day in suites

Kessdarln, we are doing Alaska and Panama Canal next year both on the Pearl and both 10 days. We are looking at Paul Gauguin for Tahiti and DH will be going to Ireland with our son. We enjoy the NCL product but are certainly open to other lines.

If you haven't gone on PG by all means do so. We went with the kids in 2013 on a 11 day and it was fabulous. They all decided they wanted to go back in 2016 so we are going on the 10 day.

PG is very relaxed and the ship is super easy to get around. Food was excellent. One of the best shows ever on any cruise line was the crew show one night. We hadn't even planned on going but one of the waiters at dinner asked if we were going as did a couple of the bartenders.

They have two private islands you visit which are absolutely perfect. If I were to get a call today for a free trip on the PG going tomorrow it would be so easy for me to pack and go without hesitation even though you are going half way around the world the experience is fabulous and very easy to do.

If you happen to go over to the PG boards look for the review by familygoboston which has loads of pics. That was a 7 day or there is the 11 day with a guy named Allen or Allan from Denver who went in June 2013 which has lots of pics.

Edited by dexddd

Yes it was just included in the total for each person in the cabin. As I stated, we did give some extra at the end. No, I do not remember a concierge specifically but I know that getting the reservations for dinner was easy, especially after we went twice. They just gave us whatever time we wanted. Unlike NCL, there are not nearly as many places to book like this. But what we had was the best we have ever had.

Also I am a pre-planner so had all of my excursions booked. The only thing I have used a concierge for on NCL was my dinner reservations and this past time we got the dinning package so booked before we got on the ship and did not use her at all. Julia

A comment about demographics:

I have found that this is more closely related to the itinerary and especially the length of the cruise. ALL longer cruises will have an older demographic... even our Carnival cruise around South America. Our first cruise was 7 days R/T Alaska on Carnival, also an older demographic.

We took our grandkids (then aged 10,12, 15) on HAL to Alaska and they had a blast. Yes, there weren't a llot of children but those children on board were really catered to.

I expect not a lot of children on the transatlantic from Barcelona to Houston in late October so I hope to have an easy chance at the water slide!

I have found a lot of multi-generational groups, like family reunions, on 1 week Carnival, and as any large group tends to be louder I find Carnival generally louder... also their shows are louder in my opinion, at least in comparison to HAL, Princess and Celebrity. m--

I am genuinely curious, what is attractive to customers on the other, more expensive cruise lines? How is the experience different? What makes it worth paying the higher price on HAL, Princess, RCCL, Celebrity? (Not the super expensive lines). I buy based on cost so I'm interested about what is different.

Please DO NOT answer with comments about the recent policy changes. I am NOT asking for more complaints about the new policies.. that's being beaten to death in other posts.

I have sailed all the cruise lines you mention (9 Princess, 5 RCL, 2 HAL and 1 X). I don't see any of these brands being typically more expensive than NCL (which I've sailed 5 times). And I am the consummate cheapskate, just as my wife! :D

When I come across a truly objective review from someone who is giving an unbiased opinion based on experiences from several lines, ships, etc. the bottom line typically is there are far more similarities than differences when comparing similar lines/ships to one another. Most reviews are so pro one particular line that is it tough to get a true comparison for a newbie like me. Much like some people squawk and moan about that horrible cattle call airline called Southwest, for 99% of the people the experience is going be largely the same if the flew American or Delta.

One feature I recently noticed for teens on Celebrity that just sounded like a lot of fun is that they give them GoPros. Including while on shore, on excursions, etc. And then on the last sea day they help them edit their footage.

That's really cool!

That's really cool!

I was thinking the same thing.

As far as more expensive cruise lines, I consider RCCL and Princess to be comparable to NCL. I don't know anything about HAL, I've never looked at what they offer. My idea of a lux line would be O, PG, Crystal, Seabourn.

For some very good info, Google 'cats goriest of cruise lines' or 'types of cruise lines'. I found a great article explaining all of them and the brand names, along with typical price per day...but it was on a travel agency site (so I couldn't link it).

We've sailed NCL exclusively for nearly 10 years and have 4 cruises scheduled (3 which have not reached final payment). While we don't like some of the changes being made, our complaint is more about the way they are being made with, it seems, only people who have heard or read rumors finding out any details at all. Pity the poor loyal NCL cruiser who doesn't read Cruise Critic. We get frequent sales emails from NCL but nothing about the changes (except the DSC). Obviously, NCL could be emailing the changes as official notices instead of letting rumors fly. This continuing lack of communication is simply poor customer service.

For those reasons, we are thinking of cancelling our future cruises and beginning to look at other cruise lines which offer itineraries NCL doesn't in NZ, Australia, Asia as well as other cruises in Europe. I suppose we were hoping NCL would offer those itineraries. Maybe NCL's new policies will open the door to our experiencing another cruise line.

A comment about demographics:

I have found that this is more closely related to the itinerary and especially the length of the cruise. ALL longer cruises will have an older demographic... even our Carnival cruise around South America. Our first cruise was 7 days R/T Alaska on Carnival, also an older demographic.

We took our grandkids (then aged 10,12, 15) on HAL to Alaska and they had a blast. Yes, there weren't a llot of children but those children on board were really catered to.

I expect not a lot of children on the transatlantic from Barcelona to Houston in late October so I hope to have an easy chance at the water slide!

LOL! Same here -- I got to try the water slide on the NCL Jade on a 12-night Med cruise in the middle of the winter. And the likely demographics on our upcoming TA aboard the new Anthem of the Seas were a big factor in our deciding to book a ship that is half amusement park. Hopefully, we can get in the bumper cars without too long a wait. :)

We have sailed on many lines. The best being Cunard and Celebrity. We now sail exclusively on NCL, in a suite. The service vs. cost makes it in our opinion one of the best values in cruising. The service has been extraordinary.

Another line I want to look at is Windstar...no, not the ships with the sails, but they have two former Seabourn ships now in their fleet. I love small ships and their itineraries look good, as do their prices.

These have looked interesting to me as well, and there is a third coming.

These have looked interesting to me as well' date=' and there is a third coming.[/quote']I saw that. There is an article in the new Cruise Travel magazine on the Star Pride. I haven't read the article yet, am going to read it when I go to a late lunch today, but the pictures of the ship looks awesome.

We've cruised most of the lines with exception of Crystal and Carnival. Will not go back to Azamara, but will consider all the others if the itinerary is there. I'm on the Breakaway now......next year we're sailing the Royal Princess and the Breakaway again next May. There is nothing that can match the Haven on The Breakaway!

We've cruised most of the lines with exception of Crystal and Carnival. Will not go back to Azamara, but will consider all the others if the itinerary is there. I'm on the Breakaway now......next year we're sailing the Royal Princess and the Breakaway again next May. There is nothing that can match the Haven on The Breakaway!
What was wrong is Azamara? I haven't cruise with them, but I also cruise Celebrity and on their board some just rave about them.

We've cruised twice on the Quest. Passengers are much older than us, ship ie too small and too old. Both Azamara ships need a complete makeover like Oceania. Once you've sailed in the Haven, Azamara will lose it's luster. I read the boards and can't believe these people were on the same ship we were. I think to them it's all about the crew and to us it's all about the ship. I also was quite sick sea on the Quest...I was taking my medication etc but didn't help. Ship design is not good for those of us who suffer from motion sickness.

Another line I want to look at is Windstar...no, not the ships with the sails, but they have two former Seabourn ships now in their fleet. I love small ships and their itineraries look good, as do their prices.

Ohh.. I've looked at that one too I think... Glitz and Glam of the French Riviera or something like that.

I have the top level loyalty status on Princess, NCL and the next to highest on Celebrity and I find the major difference to be demographics. NCL seems to cater to younger families with kids. NCL has water slides and kids programs, shorter cruises and mediocre food. Princess and Celebrity, while they offer kids programs, do not set up the main pool area for primary use by kids (think no slides less noise). The food tends to better because their older passengers expect it and dining is not just about food to feed the family but enjoying a relaxing multi-course meal.

Agree with your comments about demographics being a major difference between main steam cruise lines (NCL, Carnival, RCCL)and premium cruise lines (Princess, Celebrity and HAL). By the time you get to ultra-premium (Oceania, Viking Ocean Cruises and Azamara), the ships are much smaller, fewer kids or programs for children, very quiet atmosphere, etc.

One reason ultra-premium and luxury cruisers do not want to sail in top suites on NCL or RCCL is because the ships are too large, too many children, too much noise, etc. So, even though the suites are gorgeous, and the food in the specialty restaurants is good, the rest of the ship is unappealing. By the same token, families that love the activities for children and ships with lots of things to do would be bored silly on most luxury cruise lines.

Although we have outgrown the craziness and fun of being with lots of children and young families, I do remember how much fun it can be. IMO, you should enjoy NCL and other family-oriented cruise lines to the fullest. All too soon your children will be older and you'll be looking at the next level of cruising (which definitely is not as much fun)

Edited by Travelcat2

We've cruised twice on the Quest. Passengers are much older than us, ship ie too small and too old. Both Azamara ships need a complete makeover like Oceania. Once you've sailed in the Haven, Azamara will lose it's luster. I read the boards and can't believe these people were on the same ship we were. I think to them it's all about the crew and to us it's all about the ship. I also was quite sick sea on the Quest...I was taking my medication etc but didn't help. Ship design is not good for those of us who suffer from motion sickness.

I've never heard of Azamara... is it one of those all inclusive ships? You mentioned Haven, have you been on one of the Mega ships? I felt motion sick going down the Mississippi and during a really bad storm on the way to Ephesus in a forward facing upper cabin. Spending the night in the Atrium, center and low was good for many of us that felt scared...err sick.. hardly felt a thing :eek::eek::D