Dutch night gone?

sailsalot

Hello HAL sailors! We just got back from a fantastic cruise to Bermuda on the Veendam. Had previously sailed HAL about 8-10 years ago. I noticed on this cruise, there was no Dutch night, where passengers got hats to wear and the menu had Dutch items. Also, no parade of chefs, waiters, etc. And finally no chocolate extravaganza. None of these missing events took away from our experience, but I was curious if these events are a thing of the past now?

BTW, this was our first time on Veendam and thoroughly loved it! It might be a smaller and older ship, but the passengers and crew were the friendliest we've met in a long time, and we've been on 20-30 cruises, mostly HAL and Cunard. We'll definitely be back on board the Veendam! And Bermuda was a super port!!

I think the last time we had a Dutch Night was in 2010. And it had been mostly-missing prior to that for a while. Haven't seen it since that I can remember.

The last time I remember the Dessert Extravaganza was on a 10 day Noordam sailing in 2011. I don't think that was when they ended, though. Someone will be able to give you a date of when they stopped doing them, I expect.

Hello HAL sailors! We just got back from a fantastic cruise to Bermuda on the Veendam. Had previously sailed HAL about 8-10 years ago. I noticed on this cruise, there was no Dutch night, where passengers got hats to wear and the menu had Dutch items. Also, no parade of chefs, waiters, etc. And finally no chocolate extravaganza. None of these missing events took away from our experience, but I was curious if these events are a thing of the past now?

We have been cruising with HAL for a little over 12 years now, and I have never experienced the "Dutch Night". As best I can recall, the last time we had the chocolate extravaganza was about 5 years ago; and the last time we had the parade of chefs/waiters was on our 2013 Alaska cruise on the Westerdam. Having said all this, I think some of the "special" events are only offered on certain ships and/or itineraries. Perhaps some of the more senior CCers (or those with better memories than me) can correct and expand on this matter.

Glad you enjoyed the Veendam and your Bermuda cruise.

Smooth sailing,

Rod

BTW, this was our first time on Veendam and thoroughly loved it! It might be a smaller and older ship, but the passengers and crew were the friendliest we've met in a long time, and we've been on 20-30 cruises, mostly HAL and Cunard. We'll definitely be back on board the Veendam! And Bermuda was a super port!!

We always had fun on Dutch Night and I have a large collection of Dutch Hats painted by crew for us. Some of the work they did was so beautiful they are suitable for framing.

Is that the only change you noticed since your last cruise on HAL? My goodness, the list is long as to 'what used to be' that no longer is. On the other hand, there are many things I think better than 'back then'. :)

It's a balancing act. So many changes in our society and world at large; not just on cruise ships.

Edited by sail7seas

Our first ever cruise was on the Zaandam in 2003. It was the first, and only, Dutch night we experienced. We had a lot of fun with our tablemates, messing with the Dutch hats/caps.

So it has been gone a LONG time. It was replaced by the "Master Chef's Dinner". Consider yourself lucky that you missed the time when they asked the servers to parade through the dining room juggling food and acting silly. I thought that was in poor taste, and it certainly didn't enhance the dining experience.

Now the "International Dinner" offers food from various regions of the globe. You can mix selections, not just stick with all one section (ie. all Asian) for all courses. They still offer staff recognition and a "parade", but it isn't as weird as the napkin waving circus that was introduced before. I prefer this, along with the farewell song in the MDR.

But that's just me :)

Thanks for all your input! So it sounds like some of these events still exist, but are hit or miss amongst the various ships. I didn't really notice too many other big changes, but we did get towel animals in our cabin, and I don't remember if that was done 10 years ago or not. My 3-yr-old son certainly enjoyed that. What has always stuck out in my mind about HAL is the good food, even better service, and enjoyable fellow passengers. Luckily, that has not changed. :)

I liked the bami goring and pea soup. Dh liked the pot roast and the pea soup.

Who remembers when we used to have dover sole and the stewards would do such a beautiful job deboning it at the table?

How about the crispy roast duck?

HAL has thankfully stopped the silly Dutch hats as so few people liked them. Chocolate extravaganzas are still alive and well but have only seen them recently (last several years) on longer cruises but they have taken a more artistic turn with a smaller assortment of delicious edible items and many more pieces of art; my favorite was the chocolate dragon and windmill. There was also Dover sole and crispy duck - and I detest pea soup but it was there.

S7S: bami goreng did not know it is Dutch - its one of my favorites along with nasi goreng.

Sail, funny you mentioned the dover sole. On that first ever cruise in 2003, I ordered it and was just so impressed to have the fish deboned in front of me. That was the only time it was offered to us on HAL, and is one item I would dearly love to see returned. Even if it was in the Pinnacle, that was such a nice touch...

That has been gone for several years. It was replaced by the "Master Chef's Dinner" and that has been gone for two or three years.

HAL has thankfully stopped the silly Dutch hats as so few people liked them. Chocolate extravaganzas are still alive and well but have only seen them recently (last several years) on longer cruises but they have taken a more artistic turn with a smaller assortment of delicious edible items and many more pieces of art; my favorite was the chocolate dragon and windmill. There was also Dover sole and crispy duck - and I detest pea soup but it was there.

S7S: bami goreng did not know it is Dutch - its one of my favorites along with nasi goreng.

Bami Goreng & Nassi Goreng are not really Dutch but are dishes from Indonesia introduced in Holland during the colonial time. They are very popular in Holland.

Theo

Bami Goreng & Nassi Goreng are not really Dutch but are dishes from Indonesia introduced in Holland during the colonial time. They are very popular in Holland.

Theo

The only time the Bami Goreng (not Dutch) was offered was on Dutch night. I always enjoyed it. I hunted down some ketchap(in the days before you could buy everything on line) to make it myself but it was never as good as HAL's. :o

I'm not that fond of rice so didn't like nasi as much.

Edited by sail7seas

Who remembers when we used to have dover sole and the stewards would do such a beautiful job deboning it at the table?

What was on the menu at one time during Dutch night:

Appetizers:

Shrimp Cocktail,

Huzarensalade,(salad containing tender veal, diced apples, potatoes, pickles and chopped onioons)

Maatjes Herring,

Fresh fruit cup,

Crudites

Hot Appetizer:

Barneveld Pasteitje (a pastry shell with sweetbreads, chicken and mushrooms in a cream sauce)

Soups:

Dutch vegetable,

Dutch Brown Bean Soup

Erwten soep (Dutch green pea soup)

Salad:

Salad of the day mixed greens,

From the garden tossed greens

Entrees:

Fillet of Dover Sole Meuniere,

Seafood Zeeland,

Dutch Tenderloin Steak,

Duck Al Orange,

Idaho Baked Potato,

Hutspot met Klapstuk (hodge-podge of potatoes, carrots and onions with boiled brisket of beef)

Fresh Fruit Plate,

Imported Cheese and Fresh Fruit

Desserts:

Parfait Rothschildt (an almond flavored parfait with diced fruit and kirschwasser liqueur),

Bosche Bol (kinda like a cream puff with chocolate cover)

Ice Cream Bombe,

Chocolate Mousse Cake,

Dutch Apple Pie,

Chocolate Eclairs,

Pastry Tray,

French Vanilla, Tin Roof and Blueberry Ice Cream.

We always had the Dover Sole -- loved it and miss it.

Crispy Roast Duck -- miss it on the ships, but we do have a restaurant that serves it at home.

We always had fun on Dutch Night and I have a large collection of Dutch Hats painted by crew for us. Some of the work they did was so beautiful they are suitable for framing.

Is that the only change you noticed since your last cruise on HAL? My goodness, the list is long as to 'what used to be' that no longer is. On the other hand, there are many things I think better than 'back then'. :)

It's a balancing act. So many changes in our society and world at large; not just on cruise ships.

We also have a large collection of those specially painted Dutch hats.

My parents took an Alaskan cruise somewhere around 20 years ago. Turns out it was on HAL and the bought the picture of them wearing the Dutch hats at dinner. It is a beautiful picture and I treasure it as they are both gone now.

Dutch night was never well received by most guests. Consequently, it disappeared.

... judging from the many "fond memories" comments above, I doubt that Dutch Night "was never received well by most guests" ... in fact, I would suspect the exact opposite and that HAL discontinued them (as it has from time to time with other special occasion events) when HAL thought they had "run their course" ... JMO

Rod