Gratuities to Increase

EpcotBill

who can say unequivocally that the workers will get this money ? [emoji12][emoji636]

Not my problem, that's between the workers and their employer.

Hi, we can. Yes, this money goes to the crew.

thank you . just to make my little brain happy.

please confirm that all of the money without 1 cent of deductions ends up in the relevant crew's pockets.

please also confirm that payments of 'this money' has no other effect on the remuneration if the crew.

Thank you.

Bit unfair of Celebrity to ask those in Sky Suites to pay the same level of gratuity for Suite class when they can't avail of Michael's Club and the Concierge service.

I am not sure the extra amount for suites goes the the Michael's Club Staff. I think it goes to the Butler.

Bit unfair of Celebrity to ask those in Sky Suites to pay the same level of gratuity for Suite class when they can't avail of Michael's Club and the Concierge service.

The Michael's Club Concierge is an officer and as such does not receive tips. Sky Suite tips are the same as other suites as they have a butler and the same Luminae dining staff, though Luminae didn't impact suite gratuities.

As an FYI, I saw a letter on my recent cruise (last month) specifically to sky suits offering concierge services.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPad using fat fingers and Tapatalk

The Michael's Club Concierge is an officer and as such does not receive tips. Sky Suite tips are the same as other suites as they have a butler and the same Luminae dining staff, though Luminae didn't impact suite gratuities.

As an FYI, I saw a letter on my recent cruise (last month) specifically to sky suits offering concierge services.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPad using fat fingers and Tapatalk

Thanks for that. The concierge in the Yacht Club on MSC isn't an officer so I'd assumed it was the same with Celebrity. I don't really need concierge services but I still feel that, as those in Sky Suites don't have access to Michael's Club they shouldn't have to pay towards gratuities for staff in that venue which the Suite gratuity level covers.

OK, before anyone gets their panties in a twist, I am just adding my 2 cents, OK 95 cents.

Don't get me wrong, I will gladly pay it because we tip on board anyway. But it is this, coupled with the 3% increase in tips last year (15% to 18% on bar and spa purchases) and the additional $15.90 on a drink package that gets my goat. (was $49.00 pp pd)

The 3% in tips added $1.32 (old package price of $44 x .3%) per day to the package over Jan of 2013 prices plus the $16.90 increase (now $64.90 pp pd (minus the aforementioned $1.32) for the package increase and now this .95. We are now at $18.79 additional per person, per day, which is $37.58 per couple times 7 nights and we are now talking about $263.06 per week.

That is not chump change! I know I can choose not to get a drink package, and quite frankly, at the current prices, it is no longer appealing. But my point is, X has made significant changes to the "add on's", not just one .$95 increase. You are just not getting the "bang for your buck" that you used to.

On the other side of the coin, on my sailings that are all inclusive, they are a value. Where else can you stay in a "resort " in at least an ocean view room, all meals, most drinks (Classic package) and tips included for $385 per COUPLE per night?

So I guess the trick is to make sure you go all inclusive, not a' la carte.

Oh, and regardless WHAT they pay them, we take care of those who take care of us. One of the perks of being a frequent cruiser is getting to know the staff. They know us and they know we will take care of them.

Thanks Kathy!

That is not chump change! I know I can choose not to get a drink package, and quite frankly, at the current prices, it is no longer appealing. But my point is, X has made significant changes to the "add on's", not just one .$95 increase. You are just not getting the "bang for your buck" that you used to.

On the other side of the coin, on my sailings that are all inclusive, they are a value. Where else can you stay in a "resort " in at least an ocean view room, all meals, most drinks (Classic package) and tips included for $385 per COUPLE per night?

So I guess the trick is to make sure you go all inclusive, not a' lacarte

I find that the prices of the individual drinks on Celebrity are more expensive than on other lines and now the drink package is over priced. With all of the increases I probably wouldn't be able to afford the same experience a la carte as I would with the all inclusive. If it was Celebrity's intention to hook me with the AI and hope that I would book a cruise without at least a drink package perk they have mistaken. I would probably go back to Princess and hold out for a last minute deal. Celebrity's exciting deals haven't been so exciting. They are charging the same price I paid for a sailing that I booked 18 months out that leaves in less than 30 days. No perks added at all. These passengers who are booking last minute thinking that they are getting a deal are paying for every one else who has perks attached to their booking.

I find that the prices of the individual drinks on Celebrity are more expensive than on other lines and now the drink package is over priced. With all of the increases I probably wouldn't be able to afford the same experience a la carte as I would with the all inclusive. If it was Celebrity's intention to hook me with the AI and hope that I would book a cruise without at least a drink package perk they have mistaken. I would probably go back to Princess and hold out for a last minute deal. Celebrity's exciting deals haven't been so exciting. They are charging the same price I paid for a sailing that I booked 18 months out that leaves in less than 30 days. No perks added at all. These passengers who are booking last minute thinking that they are getting a deal are paying for every one else who has perks attached to their booking.

LOL, isn't that the truth! I have been looking back over past last minute "deals". Unless you are AI, forget it!

BUT!!! They aren't putting out the money 60 days in advance with a cancellation fee!

From now on, if it isn't AI, I am not buying. Under 60 days, even better.

Oh, and I understand paying $15.00 for a Martini at an upscale Bar in the City with their staff costs, FICA, FUTA, workman's comp, occupancy tax, taxes on liquor, high rents etc. but not on a ship. It used to be you could get a really nice drink for under $6.00. They do not have the costs involved that a land based bar has so I don't know why they are priced so high.

As with everything these days, there will always be a clueless and vocal group of people who will assume the negative in anything, no matter what it is. From believing that this small increase in gratuities is just a ruse to increase the company's bottom line, to believing that a normal and routine military exercise is a ploy by the government to take over a state, there will always be some who let their own obsessive distrust of anything they don't approve of dominate their paranoid lives.

Personally, I have no reason to believe that the increase in gratuities will not go to exactly who it is intended for. I also don't any reason to distrust the government to the extend that I lie awake at night for fear they will invade my state and take it over, apparently for some unknown reason other than my own paranoia. How people can live their lives with so much distrust is beyond me.

Truth dat. :)

.....we are now talking about $254.38 per week.

......Where else can you stay in a "resort " in at least an ocean view room, all meals, most drinks (Classic package) and tips included for $385 per COUPLE per night?

Sorry, but the math I learned is much different than yours. I fail to see how an all inclusive cost of $385 per couple is a better value than $254.38 for essentially the same things - room, meals, "most" drinks, and tips. Where I am from, paying 35% more for the same thing is not a good value. :confused::confused:

Edited by SantaFeFan

Thanks for that. The concierge in the Yacht Club on MSC isn't an officer so I'd assumed it was the same with Celebrity. I don't really need concierge services but I still feel that, as those in Sky Suites don't have access to Michael's Club they shouldn't have to pay towards gratuities for staff in that venue which the Suite gratuity level covers.

Then you're in luck, because you don't.

Proof is in the tipping structure, Michael's Club was added, and tips didn't change for any suite. The tips have always covered the staff mentioned many times in this thread. Add in butlers for suites, including sky suites and you have the same extra gratuities. Same as before Michael's Club was opened.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sorry, but the math I learned is much different than yours. I fail to see how an all inclusive cost of $385 per couple is a better value than $254.38 for essentially the same things - room, meals, "most" drinks, and tips. Where I am from, paying 35% more for the same thing is not a good value. :confused::confused:

The $254.38 is the total of the increase of tips and new drink package price for a couple for a week.

The $385 is the average we are paying "per couple" "per night" for our next four cruises. All four are all inclusive with accommodations ranging from Veranda to Sky suite.