Gratuities to Increase

EpcotBill

I don't intend to challenge your business practices keithm, but I am puzzled. (And my question/comment does segue back to the main topic so I am not hijacking the thread!) When you say your 20% charge is to pay those that do not have much contact with the client, it implies to me that those who do have contact (servers? bartenders?) will be getting tipped. Which is what puzzles me.

I am a tipper. At a restaurant I will usually start my calculation at 20% of the gross bill (i.e., the bill including tax) and then round up from there. Not automatic, I do drop down to the 10-15% range if a server has been noticeably slow, surly, or sloppy, and I did recently leave a $.17 tip (I rounded the bill up to the nearest whole $) for the young lady who insisted on calling me Honi and my wife Sweetie. (With a note explaining her need for better manners.) But mostly I am a generous tipper. Nevertheless, I cannot recall any time at a banquet or catered event when I even thought about leaving a tip. I just hope that your direct-contact catering staff aren't getting stiffed by a lot of people like me who assume that the manager/caterer is taking care of their staff wages and have incorporated that cost into the charge for the event.

Onboard I don't carry cash around with me and I can't imagine a situation where I would want to offer someone at the Excursions Desk or at Guest Relations or at the coffee shop or behind a bar or anyplace else a cash tip to reward them for doing their job. I regret that cruise lines take the disingenuous approach of "adding gratuities" to the cost of a cruise rather than being upfront and simply increasing their fares by 15% or whatever the % is today. At the end of the cruise $xxxx x 1.15 is the same amount whether that extra 15% is labeled "gratuity" or "fare increase." Though I guess I should be grateful that they do label the % charge as "gratuity" as this relieves me from thinking about whether I need to be doing anything extra to recognize the staff.

In any case, I recognize that the cruise lines expect me to pay for the services they provide, they do hope to make a profit, and they will try to balance pricing and market supply and demand to maximize their profits. They charge more, I will pay more. If the charge becomes more than the service is worth to me, I will stop buying the service. And start buying the stock so I can participate in the profits being made.

I thin Keith was just saying that the 20% is added to the bill of the person HOSTING the catered event.

We have hosted 8 -10 catered events and 20% is routinely added to the food bill (and it's added separately from the tax so we only pay tax & tip on the actual food)

And, just to be clear, WE pay the entire bill, NOT our guests!

Edited by chamima

I make you correct with your assertion "why should we tip at all" with regard to the UK tipping culture Steve, it is not the act of tipping that incenses us Brits it is the idea we must do so to subsidise someone's wages when we expect those who employ them to pay their staff a living wage.

That said I'm sure you've witnessed during your many travels a willingness by those dining to show their appreciation to their servers on a regular basis and one which is commonplace.

I do think you underestimate the percentages though, for example, a typical restaurant depending on the geography will apply a service charge anything between 12.50% and 20% and speaking from personal experience we add another 10% - 15% depending on the quality of the meal and service.

Bon Appetite.:)

I've never seen more than 12.5% on a UK restaurant bill and I wouldn't add extra if service was already added.

I do think you underestimate the percentages though, for example, a typical restaurant depending on the geography will apply a service charge anything between 12.50% and 20% and speaking from personal experience we add another 10% - 15% depending on the quality of the meal and service.

Bon Appetite.:)

12.5%-20% service charge and another 10-15% on top, so effectively up to 35%? I would suggest you are not the typical UK tipper. In the UK, in the event a Service Charge has been added (London restaurants in my experience) it is very unusual to tip extra.

I've never seen more than 12.5% on a UK restaurant bill and I wouldn't add extra if service was already added.

This response is applicable within the UK, not sure about Europe and very much doubt the USA . [emoji636][emoji636]

'Up Norff ' where I come from no restaurant would last if they put on a 12.5% service charge as they would lose custom (OK maybe not so much in the big cities)

We are being fooled by tax dodging Restaurant owners here. There are very clear rules about service charges in particular with regards to VAT.

If a service charge is compulsory then VAT must be paid to HMRC as it is 'part of the consideration for the meal'

If it is discretionary ( and most are in my experience) then it is not subject to VAT.

If I am confronted with a 'service charge ' in a Restaurant. I simply ask whether it is compulsory. If they answer yes I ask that a full VAT receipt is produced clearly showing the VAT element of the Service charge. If the answer is no I will pay whatever I deem appropriate in cash to the Wait staff.

I never pay a tip on %age. Usually £x per person. So as a %age my cheper meals get more - expensive meals less . However I would usually give slightly more £ tip in a higher end Restaurant.

The game by the owners here is to imply its compulsory.Not least by printing it on the bill and making us FEEL obliged. As a rule us Brits dont wish to make a fuss so just pay up. [emoji32][emoji481][emoji489][emoji485][emoji636]

Oh and if an owner gets stroppy and insists its compulsory but wont give a VAT receipt. Refuse to pay, give him your name and address and call the HMRC next working day.:eek:

Edited by gcgold

Celebritycruises posted on another thread, so seemingly feels this is something they cannot comment on at this stage.

Very appropriately IMO. This is a change that should have a single clear announcement. I see no possible upside to communicating the information before the official announcement and many downsides.

I thin Keith was just saying that the 20% is added to the bill of the person HOSTING the catered event.

We have hosted 8 -10 catered events and 20% is routinely added to the food bill (and it's added separately from the tax so we only pay tax & tip on the actual food)

And, just to be clear, WE pay the entire bill, NOT our guests!

Right, he is adding 20% to the customer's bill to provide a gratuity for people behind the scenes. That's fine, I think I understand that. What I don't get is who tips the people who are not behind the scenes, the ones up front like servers and bartenders. I guess you are saying that, as the host/hostess you add a gratuity when you pay the bill. I never would have thought of that. I have never tipped an electrician or plumber or landscaper or doctor or dentist or caterer etc. Nothing wrong with doing that, I just have always figured that professionals charged what their work was worth. And professional services like landscapers and caterers should include fair wages for their employees so that I shouldn't need to tip the lawn mower or dental assistant or bartender. Restaurants, resorts cruise ships and hair salons seem to be in a different category, I guess because their business model involves rock-bottom wages for employees who have no choice.

As far as my comment about taxes, my point is that the "strict" interpretation of a 15% or 18% or 20% standard tip would apply that percentage against the cost of food and drink alone. My own looser practice is to tip on the whole amount including taxes.

Very appropriately IMO. This is a change that should have a single clear announcement. I see no possible upside to communicating the information before the official announcement and many downsides.

IF it's even a change. What RCI does often doesn't have any bearing on what Celebrity does. In recent years RCI added waveriders, rock climbing walls, ice rinks, what I call "pods on a stick", etc. I haven't seen Celebrity following those changes. ;)

Until there is an official announcement, it's just a rumor. At this time it's no different that dozens of rumors I have heard over the years that never materialized.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Maybe you guys will believe this, http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6359.

1 part of that newsbrief states "Cruise Critic members also are reporting that Celebrity Cruises, which is owned by the same parent company as Royal Caribbean International, will raise its recommended gratuity guidelines."

Maybe CC member should start reporting free Premium drink packages with every cabin!!

This is really becoming a classic example of "circular logic" -- anyone remember the old game we played as kids, called "telephone"? :rolleyes:

Here's the whole quote (as it pertains to sources) from the Cruise Critic News:

According to a post on Royal Caribbean's travel agent-centric Loyal to Royal minisite, "The adjustment will help recognize the exceptional work that Royal Caribbean's staff and crew does to deliver unforgettable vacations every day."

Cruise Critic members also are reporting that Celebrity Cruises, which is owned by the same parent company as Royal Caribbean International, will raise its recommended gratuity guidelines

There is no official citation to any RCCL or Celebrity press release, or publication, stating that X's gratuities are going to increase.

Beginning on June 1, 2015 for all sailings beginning on or after July 1, 2015, gratuity rates will be increasing to the

following amounts:

· $12.95 per person per day in Staterooms

· $13.45 per person per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms

· $16.45 per person per day in Suites

Guests who have prepaid their gratuities (or who have prepaid gratuities on their reservation as a result of a sales promotion) by May 31, 2015 will not be charged the incremental gratuity rate once onboard.

Any guest sailing prior to July 1, 2015 will be subject to the existing gratuity rates ($12.00/day/person for Staterooms, $12.50/day/person for Concierge Class & AquaClass, and $15.50/day/person for suites).

The new gratuity increase is effective for all individual and group bookings.

An 18% gratuity will continue to be added to all beverage, mini-bar purchases, and spa & salon purchases onboard.

Maybe you guys will believe this, http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6359.

Bill-

The article is quoting YOU!!!

Quote:

Cruise Critic members also are reporting that Celebrity Cruises, which is owned by the same parent company as Royal Caribbean International, will raise its recommended gratuity guidelines.

The new rates will be: $12.95 per person per day (up from $12) for passengers in a standard cabin; $13.45 per person per day (up from $12.50) for those in Concierge Class and Aqua Class rooms; and $16.45 per person per day (up from $15.50) for suite cruisers.

Passengers who have prepaid their gratuities by May 31 or have prepaid tips on their reservation because of a promotion will not be charged the new rate.

When asked about the increase, a Celebrity spokesperson said the line had no announcement to share.

I agree with wwcruisers!

This is really becoming a classic example of "circular logic" -- anyone remember the old game we played as kids, called "telephone"? :rolleyes:

Here's the whole quote (as it pertains to sources) from the Cruise Critic News:

According to a post on Royal Caribbean's travel agent-centric Loyal to Royal minisite, "The adjustment will help recognize the exceptional work that Royal Caribbean's staff and crew does to deliver unforgettable vacations every day."

Cruise Critic members also are reporting that Celebrity Cruises, which is owned by the same parent company as Royal Caribbean International, will raise its recommended gratuity guidelines

There is no official citation to any RCCL or Celebrity press release, or publication, stating that X's gratuities are going to increase.

The link says that RCCL is increasing gratuities and at the bottom of the story a Celebrity spokesperson said the line has no announcement to share. I don't see this as a confirmation that X is raising gratuities.

With an article titled "Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Raise Daily Cruise Gratuities", it's a real shame that CruiseCritic itself posts rumors as if they are facts. :(

Edited by SantaFeFan

Thanks for the link... We have no issue with this considering how hard the crew work to make our cruises so much fun and memorable! #Celebrity

What link? The link which "reports" that people on THIS thread are speculating about increases on Celebrity???

(:DThis is priceless! Is this thread now officially competing with the teeth brushing thread for the ridiculousness award?)

What link? The link which "reports" that people on THIS thread are speculating about increases on Celebrity???

(:DThis is priceless! Is this thread now officially competing with the teeth brushing thread for the ridiculousness award?)

excuse me !! [emoji33][emoji33]

what is this ridiculousness award ?[emoji12][emoji12]

and who allowed you to make nominations.

OK If u are zenith or in a MC suite then I apologise - but only if u verify your status wiv a pink / white polka dot hat [emoji32][emoji32]

as a conciliatory gesture please can you detail the liquids utilised on-board whilst performing one's dental laundry functions ?

Ridiculousness ? where is my Solicitor when I need her ?

What do you mean wife ? out soliciting ? I simply do not understand how your type were ever allowed to vote .

[emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

[emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji12][emoji12][emoji636][emoji636][emoji574]️[emoji634][emoji568][emoji485][emoji485][emoji485][emoji485][emoji485][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji295]️[emoji295]️[emoji295]️[emoji295]️[emoji295]️[emoji295]️[emoji295]️

Edited by gcgold

Celebrity sent an email newsletter to Travel Agents today. No, I'm not posting a link to the newsletter, maybe somebody else will. Anyway I C&P'd the part where they confirm the increased gratuities. Here it is;

Revised Gratuity Program

Taking effect June 1, 2015, for all sailings departing on or after July 1, 2015, the new recommended gratuities guideline for Celebrity Cruises will be $12.95 per day, per guest in standard staterooms, $13.45 per day, per guest in Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms, and $16.45 per day, per guest in Suite Class. For guests’ convenience, Celebrity automatically registers the daily gratuities in guests’ folios, although guests are free to change the amount at their discretion at the ship’s Guest Relations office. Guests who prepay their gratuities prior to June 1, 2015 can still do so based on the current guideline of $12.00 per day, per guest in standard accommodations, $12.50 per day, per guest in Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms, and $15.50 per day, per guest in Suite Class. The adjustment will help recognize the exceptional work that Celebrity's staff and crew does to deliver unforgettable vacations every day.

Edited by EpcotBill

I know I will get flamed again! However, I posted a separate thread about CONFUSION due to the lack of Celebrity Officially posting information. This is just another example of the many topics/threads that have surfaced over the past couple months. There is more time wasted on going back and forth on what is true and what is not. Opinions are not valid. Just because we experienced something one time, does not make is gospel and that whatever occurred that time will hold true for the next occurrences.

It is time that Celebrity takes an active roll in clarifying all these misconceptions. Celebrity should be very interested in publishing the official words, not us on CC trying to provide answers to somethings we know nothing about. JMHO.

I know I will get flamed again! However, I posted a separate thread about CONFUSION due to the lack of Celebrity Officially posting information. This is just another example of the many topics/threads that have surfaced over the past couple months. There is more time wasted on going back and forth on what is true and what is not. Opinions are not valid. Just because we experienced something one time, does not make is gospel and that whatever occurred that time will hold true for the next occurrences.

It is time that Celebrity takes an active roll in clarifying all these misconceptions. Celebrity should be very interested in publishing the official words, not us on CC trying to provide answers to somethings we know nothing about. JMHO.

No flames from here -- have to say that I agree with you on this! I'm starting to feel that those of us on this board have become one big "test market". Corporate seems to float out rumors to see if/how we will react to their proposed changes -- many of which affect the bottom line on cruises we have already booked!

Granted, many of us have been both "onboard" and "on the boards" for a long time. We don't, in the immortal words of Dylan "need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." But, many new posters and new cruisers come to these boards looking for useful information -- not rumor and innuendo.

And BTW, I meant no disrespect to the OP (BILL). I do believe that he found himself with credible information and was trying to let us know, without violating the posting rules of this forum -- thank you for that. My problem is with the folks at Corporate. If they are planning to implement a change that will affect the wallets of those who currently have cruises booked, they should publish it -- not just leak rumors about it! :mad:

Ok, I got the same notice from my travel agent, and I am grateful so that I can choose to prepay my upcoming gratuities or not before June 1, 2015 on our several sailings as I have the information.

I do wish Celebrity would officially release the information at the same time to everyone instead of having someone in the know post it, and then wait for official confirmation which may or may not have come before June, 1,2015Here is the copied text of what was sent to me by my travel agent.

"Revised Gratuity Program

Taking effect June 1, 2015, for all sailings departing on or after July 1, 2015, the new recommended gratuities guideline for Celebrity Cruises will be $12.95 per day, per guest in standard staterooms, $13.45 per day, per guest in Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms, and $16.45 per day, per guest in Suite Class. For guests’ convenience, Celebrity automatically registers the daily gratuities in guests’ folios, although guests are free to change the amount at their discretion at the ship’s Guest Relations office. Guests who prepay their gratuities prior to June 1, 2015 can still do so based on the current guideline of $12.00 per day, per guest in standard accommodations, $12.50 per day, per guest in Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms, and $15.50 per day, per guest in Suite Class. The adjustment will help recognize the exceptional work that Celebrity's staff and crew does to deliver unforgettable vacations every day. "

This is the same information posted by the original poster. I appreciate the heads up. I believe the staff to be very hardworking and deserving.

It would be nice if Celebrity released the information to the public at the same time it sends it to the travel agents, as not everyone uses an agency to book their cruises.

I also thank the OP for the information. I don't think that there is any doubt that the gratuities are going up, despite not having any "official" confirmation. Whether they should go up is a different conversation, and an issue that I don't have to deal with at the moment as my booked cruise has gratuities included.

I for one will not continue to be fleeced. I plan to remove the auto tips and tip those that serve me in cash. I don't think it's right that these company's use what they call gratuity for their own incentive programs and what they call behind the scene crew. If the crew member I tip wants to turn in the tips I give them it's their choice.

I for one will not continue to be fleeced. I plan to remove the auto tips and tip those that serve me in cash. I don't think it's right that these company's use what they call gratuity for their own incentive programs and what they call behind the scene crew. If the crew member I tip wants to turn in the tips I give them it's their choice.

get me a ' like' button

this poster knows how to brush teeth and what liquid to use to rinse - mefinks [emoji12][emoji12][emoji41][emoji41][emoji636][emoji574]️[emoji634][emoji295]️[emoji295]️[emoji482][emoji482][emoji568][emoji485][emoji485]

Edited by gcgold