Gratuities to Increase

EpcotBill

People actually do care about where their money goes - whether they can afford an X cruise - or not.

You may not care - and that's great for you.

Between beverage package increases, gratuity increases, and everything else, it really starts to add up. Even though we can afford this cruise, it doesn't mean we have unlimited funds.

Agree!

When the gratuities deducted from your onboard account were introduced,it was "For Your Convenience". It was an option for your convenience, you won't need to worry about having cash with you. 1 less thing for you to worry about.

Now it is mandatory and becoming more expensive,the tone of the message changed. If anyone needs to pay more I think it is Celebrity Cruises. The fares have increased sometime dramatically. The passengers are paying the employees through the charges imposed by the cruise line. The gratuities are a thank you for great service not a charge imposed as a supplement to a salary.

Me too. I just paid for my trip in full and added gratuities. The celebrity exchange rate is excellent.

And yes - agree that existing distribution methods will remain. I just posted my comment as too many hardworking people not in direct customer contact seem to get ignored.

It is my understanding that the people who benefit from the gratuities-sharing protocol are those staff that come in direct contact with passengers and can influence the amount of tips they receive by their level of service. These people are referred to as "tipped out" and with RCCL, they have a contract that stipulates they will get $50 USD per month plus gratuities. There is a very low level salary that they are "guaranteed" by the cruise line, something in the range of $800 per month. It has been a few years since I saw the contract, so this may have changed, but I have not heard that it has.

The staff that do not come in substantial contact with guests are "not tipped-out" and receive a salary depending on the level of their job. They do not rely on tips for their basic remuneration, so they are not "ignored" by the tipping schedule. However, they are remunerated at a lower level than the amount that a waiter or cabin steward can earn if they receive most of their auto-tips. (Things start to go downhill for the "tipped out" staff when people remove their auto-tips.) I have heard so many people explain how they want to "tip in cash directly to those that have served them well", not understanding how the system works, and that the waiter who worked so hard for them has to turn in the cash he received if the auto-tips have been removed. That cash then gets shared among those who should have been covered by the autotips, and the waiter himself earns very much less than what the "cash tipper" thought would be the case, unless, of course, the passenger gives the waiter the whole amount of the suggested autotips, which I very much doubt is often the case.

The goal for many staff is to rise through the ranks to become "tipped-out staff" where, through sheer effort, they can increase the amount they earn. A really great waiter or cabin steward can do well if the level of their effort earns them extra gratuities (an amount above the "suggested gratuities").

Of course, "well" is relative to the amount they could make in their home countries, not to what a hard-working person could make in North America, which is why you rarely see a North American waiter or cabin steward.

So, why does the cruise line keep an "auto tip program" in place? because it is much easier to get the money out of us to pay for crew raises than to up the price of the cruise directly

Spot on IMO, with all the holiday search engines it is important to have that seemingly low price.

I wonder how long it will be before we see that other practice found in Florida and Vegas appearing on cruise ships ....resort fees. $20 a day per person and it includes gratituities, room service, tea and coffee, the free lemonade, the daily newspaper etc

Just wonder if other RCI company cruises will be the same.

We have an Azamara one booked for Sept '16, but as with all our cruises we pre-pay our gratuities, on X because we choose Select dining.

Just wonder if other RCI company cruises will be the same.

We have an Azamara one booked for Sept '16, but as with all our cruises we pre-pay our gratuities, on X because we choose Select dining.

You won't know with Azamara and it will make no difference because gratuities are included as part of your fare and there are no gratuities on any alcohol you purchase over and above that which is already included in your fare.

Personally, sorry the increase is a small amount and I do not think it is my business to probe deeper on the matter. After all, when my hairdresser tells her charges have gone up, I pay, I do not ask her if she is getting any extra....

I am not qualified to judge whether the crew is being paid appropriately or not.

Absolutely none of my business. Just as it is none of my business how you earn and spend your money.

I disagree. If we can see that crew are being treated poorly, passengers should speak out and change it. It's worked (at least in part) for other things such as fair trade coffee, flowers, etc. We have laws to help protect workers in the U.S. (some states more than others), and foreign workers may have less protections.

I'm not at all saying that Celebrity is mistreating their crew by the way, as I have no experience to suggest that whatsoever. I just think declaring in broad terms you have no knowledge and couldn't possibly ever have any in regard to a company's business practices, while continuing to hand over your over dollars to them, is a little convenient. Consumers can and do boycott products sometimes for these sorts of reasons.

For a 7 night cruise for two people this comes out to be an additional $13.30 for the entire cruise. If this is an amount of money you're unable to afford, then you may want to look into cheaper vacations.

As far as I'm concerned, the people who work to make sure our vacation is enjoyable deserve more and I usually will tip much more. Only once have I not tipped more and that's because I never saw my room steward. He or she did a great job, but they were like a ghost!

So, seriously, if this minuscule amount increase irks you, then the problem is not cruise line....

I disagree. If we can see that crew are being treated poorly, passengers should speak out and change it. It's worked (at least in part) for other things such as fair trade coffee, flowers, etc. We have laws to help protect workers in the U.S. (some states more than others), and foreign workers may have less protections.

Fewer protections, possibly, but probably still better than in their native land. And if they are being poorly treated, from what I've seen it's probably by passengers, some of whom should be ashamed of the way they speak to the staff.

I certainly don't object to a few dollars more for gratuities on board, but I do object to the growing prevalence of 18% being expected on land.

I'm not all that sure that every dollar we pay for this "gratuity charge" actually reaches the staff. I always wonder if the cruise lines deduct their original pay accordingly once this automatic tipping policy went into effect,

Nevertheless, I usually give my stateroom attendants an extra $20 bill, and if we have the same waiter for most of the cruise, the same $20. If a Maitre D does something extraordinary for us, he/she also gets some extra cash.

Those stateroom attendants in particular work their tails off, and look, we are spending several thousand dollars for a week of luxury. What's an extra couple of $20 bills ? :)

I'm not at all saying that Celebrity is mistreating their crew by the way, as I have no experience to suggest that whatsoever. I just think declaring in broad terms you have no knowledge and couldn't possibly ever have any in regard to a company's business practices, while continuing to hand over your over dollars to them, is a little convenient. Consumers can and do boycott products sometimes for these sorts of reasons.

IF they are being mistreated. That is a completely different matter. If they were were, we all would know it by now.

If you have zero knowledge them being mistreated, how much they are getting paid is absolutely none of your business.

I'm not all that sure that every dollar we pay for this "gratuity charge" actually reaches the staff. I always wonder if the cruise lines deduct their original pay accordingly once this automatic tipping policy went into effect.

If gratuities were included in the base fare, as some here insist it should be, there would be even less certainty that the extra cost to us would actually be going to the staff. Gratuities would be completely hidden and very easy to end up in the cruise company's bottom line.

Edited by SantaFeFan

$12.95?

Still an absolute bargain...

Think about what you would tip for, say, meals similar to what you get in the Main Dining Room, but on land?

Back home, my wife and I go out to our local chain BBQ restaurant...She has a New York Steak...$27.95...I have the Baby Back Ribs...$24.95...They each come with two sides--potato and veggie, so we each add a small dinner salad...$2.95 each...and we each get an iced tea...That's another $3.50 each...Salad...dinner entree...tea...No appetizer, soup, no dessert...certainly no second appetizer or second dessert like we might do on the ship...Total=$65.80...Plus tax, the bottom line is $72.05...

Here in SoCal, the "standard" is now 20% for a tip...So, we leave a tip of around $14...the service is very good--and it's NEVER clearly as good as on Celebrity...

Even if you went with a lower standard, 18% is $13...

So, back home, we don't think twice about dropping a tip LARGER than the new daily gratuity rate JUST FOR DINNER (remember, that daily rate on Celebrity covers not only dinner but breakfast, lunch, cabin stewards, etc....and, yes, even though some people don't consider what they eat in the buffet, there's still some level of service there... and they are included--We eat at a buffet back home, we still leave a couple of bucks tor the guy who has to come clear the table or does other things to help take care of us)...

But, on the ship, I'd say the level of service at least equals and likely surpasses what we get in that restaurant back home...But we are not just eating a salad, an entree and an iced tea...Figure in that most meals, we are getting appetizers, soup, salad, entree, dessert, iced tea and, maybe, after dinner coffee...Add another $40 or $50 to that dinner tab for all of those extra items...and that same dinner tab back home is now $120...The tip...again, just for dinner, is now $24!!!

Yet, people complain about a $13 gratuity covering the entire day's worth of service? It's still an incredible bargain...

And, to my friends from the UK who claim "But, when WE are back home, we DON'T tip!": YES YOU DO...You just don't realize it because , in your system, it's hidden...That "service included" is not just free...the waiters don't work for you for free out of the goodness of their hearts. They are paid a higher wage and the added cost is figured into the pricing. Probably, on the whole, a better idea and what cruise lines should do...But they don't, so just recognize it for what it is...a different method of compensating the wait staff and crew...

In any event, realize that we are all paying these hard working people a mere pittance...

Whatever you can "afford", I guarantee you that YOU can afford that extra 95 cents far more than they can.

As to when it goes into effect: I have four future Celebrity cruises booked over the next 14 months...a total of 37 nights...for which, in cruise fare only, I am paying close to $20,000 total...On a couple of them, gratuities are included--so I have no real change...On the others, they are pre-paid--though one of those has not yet reached final payment day...BUT, even if I had to be charged that extra 95 cents on ALL of my cruises, it would come to an extra SEVENTY DOLLARS! Am I really going to worry about $70 on $20,000 worth of cruises???

I don't even understand why some even bother to cruise or vacation. They seem more concerned about labor conditions or living conditions of the staff. I vacation to forget my problems for a week not take on the problems of strangers. If the conditions were so horrible they wouldn't be there.

$12.95?

Think about what you would tip for, say, meals similar to what you get in the Main Dining Room, but on land?

Back home, my wife and I go out to our local chain BBQ restaurant...She has a New York Steak...$27.95...I have the Baby Back Ribs...$24.95...They each come with two sides--potato and veggie, so we each add a small dinner salad...$2.95 each...and we each get an iced tea...That's another $3.50 each...Salad...dinner entree...tea...No appetizer, soup, no dessert...certainly no second appetizer or second dessert like we might do on the ship...Total=$65.80...Plus tax, the bottom line is $72.05...

Here in SoCal, the "standard" is now 20% for a tip...So, we leave a tip of around $14...the service is very good--and it's NEVER clearly as good as on Celebrity...

So, back home, we don't think twice about dropping a tip LARGER than the new daily gratuity rate JUST FOR DINNER (remember, that daily rate on Celebrity covers not only dinner but breakfast, lunch, cabin stewards, etc....and, yes, even though some people don't consider what they eat in the buffet, there's still some level of service there... and they are included--We eat at a buffet back home, we still leave a couple of bucks tor the guy who has to come clear the table or does other things to help take care of us)...

But, on the ship, I'd say the level of service at least equals and likely surpasses what we get in that restaurant back home...But we are not just eating a salad, an entree and an iced tea...Figure in that most meals, we are getting appetizers, soup, salad, entree, dessert, iced tea and, maybe, after dinner coffee...Add another $40 or $50 to that dinner tab for all of those extra items...and that same dinner tab back home is now $120...The tip...again, just for dinner, is now $24!!!

Yet, people complain about a $13 gratuity covering the entire day's worth of service? It's still an incredible bargain...

And, to my friends from the UK who claim "But, when WE are back home, we DON'T tip!": YES YOU DO...You just don't realize it because , in your system, it's hidden...That "service included" is not just free...the waiters don't work for you for free out of the goodness of their hearts. They are paid a higher wage and the added cost is figured into the pricing. Probably, on the whole, a better idea and what cruise lines should do...But they don't, so just recognize it for what it is...a different method of compensating the wait staff and crew...

In any event, realize that we are all paying these hard working people a mere pittance...

Whatever you can "afford", I guarantee you that YOU can afford that extra 95 cents far more than they can.

As to when it goes into effect: I have four future Celebrity cruises booked over the next 14 months...a total of 37 nights...for which, in cruise fare only, I am paying close to $20,000 total...On a couple of them, gratuities are included--so I have no real change...On the others, they are pre-paid--though one of those has not yet reached final payment day...BUT, even if I had to be charged that extra 95 cents on ALL of my cruises, it would come to an extra SEVENTY DOLLARS! Am I really going to worry about $70 on $20,000 worth of cruises???

+1

I couldn't have said it more eloquently and agree with you completely.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

some of the service on past cruises has been poor where they should really not get anything. We never had the auto tips lowered, but with these increases if we ever cruise again we will be removing tips if we encounter poor service.

.BUT, even if I had to be charged that extra 95 cents on ALL of my cruises, it would come to an extra SEVENTY DOLLARS! Am I really going to worry about $70 on $20,000 worth of cruises???

There's a big difference between being worried about it or being able to afford it and unnecessarily spending it, i.e. throwing it away. If you have a cruise coming up and can save that $70 by paying the tips before the deadline, why not? You're certainly not going to make that much interest with it setting in the bank.

I do agree with your post for the most part though. I'm not complaining about the extra money.

Edited by ORV

some of the service on past cruises has been poor where they should really not get anything. We never had the auto tips lowered, but with these increases if we ever cruise again we will be removing tips if we encounter poor service.

Why would you be miserable for the whole cruise, and then stand in line to remove your auto-tip?? :eek:

If you are having a problem with service, try to resolve it with your room steward immediately. If that doesn't work, call the GR desk and tell them that you need to speak to the Housekeeping Supervisor. You will get a call-back, and your particular issues should be taken care of. :cool:

$12.95?

A splendid post, one I am almost in complete agreement with, except for a slight amendment to your appraisal on what happens in the UK. It is slightly misleading to assert our culture does not allow tipping, far from it in fact.

Tipping in restaurants within the UK is a common and widespread practice the difference with other parts of the World is the recipient of said gratuity enjoys it as an addition to his/her wages rather than the make up of them.

The other issue I would like to clear up is the matter of 'service charges' purported to be hidden, when in reality they are clearly marked on the bill of most of the establishments and those that don't have an obligation to provide details when challenged. ;)

I don't object to the amount (I'm probably overgenerous in paying extra tips) but the one thing I don't like with this structure is that it allows Celebrity to raise the cost of your cruise after you've booked. This is the same issue people were having with the beverage package upgrade increase. You book based on information given to you on a specific date (your cruise costs $X + $Y per day in gratuities). The company cannot change $X at that point, but they do change $Y. There's no reason in the world why this company couldn't charge different $Y rates to those who book before a certain date. Instead, they raise the prices across the board and expect their customers to pay the full freight of their business decision. Rising wages are a cost of business that almost every other company absorbs for a period of time until the higher prices for new customers start covering the extra costs. Good on them for getting people to not revolt, but it does come across as bait and switch.

Edited by bEwAbG

A splendid post, one I am almost in complete agreement with, except for a slight amendment to your appraisal on what happens in the UK. It is slightly misleading to assert our culture does not allow tipping, far from it in fact.

Tipping in restaurants within the UK is a common and widespread practice the difference with other parts of the World is the recipient of said gratuity enjoys it as an addition to his/her wages rather than the make up of them.

The other issue I would like to clear up is the matter of 'service charges' purported to be hidden, when in reality they are clearly marked on the bill of most of the establishments and those that don't have an obligation to provide details when challenged. ;)

I concur, Bruin Steve is incorrect on several levels about tipping in the UK.

Well at least all of us us from the the UK can agree than Bruin Steve knows absolutely nothing about tipping over here.

One thing i am curious about is all those cruiser critcers who insist on extra tipping bar staff..room service...etc who have recently increased their "bids" from $1 to $2 will now feel obliged to increase to $5.

Those $2 tips must be so irritating to the recipients :). They clearly deserve much more.