Gratuities to Increase

EpcotBill

the one thing I don't like with this structure is that it allows Celebrity to raise the cost of your cruise after you've booked. Good on them for getting people to not revolt, but it does come across as bait and switch.

At the risk of getting almost to granular, are not all gratuities discretionary ?

I understood that if the passenger wants to, they can go to the Customer Service Desk have the gratuities removed or altered.

If this is the case and one thinks they have been the victim of the "Bait & Switch" would this be an option ?

Agree strongly with above comments from DinaS. ALL of these various costs do add up. Not everyone is "made of money" and/or having unlimited financial resources. Cruise lines do, like some retailers, claim great bargain, specials and super discounts. Then, they find lots of ways to "nickel and dime" us with added fees, special charges, etc.

Contrary to keithm's dismissive statement of "Just deal with it!", a large portion of what you are funding with the cruise cost does or is supposed to go towards the staff salaries, costs and benefits. Yes, they deserve to be paid and gain reasonable compensation. There is not much transparency about how the cruise line tips are divided, who gets what, etc. AND, different cultures around the world handle "service charges" in a variety manners. Some include it in the sticker price. Others do not.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 198,953 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

In our catering company we have a 20% service charge. This is to pay the staff that preps the food & otherwise does not have much contact with the client. Wearas most pay low wages our starting parttimers(summer students) make a minimum of $10/hr. The repeaters make $12+/hr.Our highest paid is about $20/hr.(not including tips)She works from May-Oct then goes to Florida & does the food service for a "mega" church. I feel that the staff deserve the amount they get & we ALWAYS tip over & above that to our Steward/Steward Asst./Headwaiter/Asst.waiter. Never once in the 10+ years of cruising(Cunard & Celebrity)have we seen poor performance by ANY staff. Swinish behavior by self entitled/self indugent obnoxious pax...Well, that's a different story.

At the risk of getting almost to granular, are not all gratuities discretionary ?

I understood that if the passenger wants to, they can go to the Customer Service Desk have the gratuities removed or altered.

If this is the case and one thinks they have been the victim of the "Bait & Switch" would this be an option ?

Good point. People who do that are a little too gauche for my tastes but it is certainly a possibility. I admit I was thinking more about the beverage package upgrade because that is one that really irked me more than the gratuities. Thankfully the cruise line straightened that one out. The broader point is that travelers shouldn't have to get their blood pressure raised every few weeks. Some foresight and message testing could prevent 99% of the reactions that greet each change.

Anyone who books before June 1, 2015 will be charged the current gratuity.[/QUOTE]

Beginning on June 1, 2015 for all sailings beginning on or after July 1, 2015, gratuity rates will be increasing to the

following amounts:

· $12.95 per person per day in Staterooms

· $13.45 per person per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms

· $16.45 per person per day in Suites

Guests who have prepaid their gratuities (or who have prepaid gratuities on their reservation as a result of a sales promotion) by May 31, 2015 will not be charged the incremental gratuity rate once onboard.

Any guest sailing prior to July 1, 2015 will be subject to the existing gratuity rates ($12.00/day/person for Staterooms, $12.50/day/person for Concierge Class & AquaClass, and $15.50/day/person for suites).

The new gratuity increase is effective for all individual and group bookings.

An 18% gratuity will continue to be added to all beverage, mini-bar purchases, and spa & salon purchases onboard.

The 2 bolded statements seem to be in contradiction to each other.

:confused:

Count me in the group that are happy to have the staff get more (we also always tip extra) but are just not convinced that it all actually goes to staff.

And, how in the world will Celebrity keep all these different gratuities straight? (I booked in May and pre-paid, you booked in June and pre-paid, he booked in Sept. and didn't pre-pay. :confused: :confused:)

In our catering company we have a 20% service charge. This is to pay the staff that preps the food & otherwise does not have much contact with the client. Wearas most pay low wages our starting parttimers(summer students) make a minimum of $10/hr. The repeaters make $12+/hr.Our highest paid is about $20/hr.(not including tips)She works from May-Oct then goes to Florida & does the food service for a "mega" church. I feel that the staff deserve the amount they get & we ALWAYS tip over & above that to our Steward/Steward Asst./Headwaiter/Asst.waiter. Never once in the 10+ years of cruising(Cunard & Celebrity)have we seen poor performance by ANY staff. Swinish behavior by self entitled/self indugent obnoxious pax...Well, that's a different story.

Why not just included the service charge in the orginal bill ?

I feel adding a service charge makes the owner look petty.

In my service company , I charge a flat rate for each job

If I am buying something , I really do not care what the break down is , if I think it is a fair price

Edited by Airbalancer

Anyone who books before June 1, 2015 will be charged the current gratuity.[/QUOTE]

Count me in the group that are happy to have the staff get more (we also always tip extra) but are just not convinced that it all actually goes to staff.

And, how in the world will Celebrity keep all these different gratuities straight? (I booked in May and pre-paid, you booked in June and pre-paid, he booked in Sept. and didn't pre-pay. :confused: :confused:)

Still nothing official, yet -- right? I've been trying to keep up with this thread -- and, checking on the X website. But, I might have missed something.

amazing to me how the cruise line can just keep raising prices, specialty dinners, drinks, now gratuities and celebrity cruisers keep saying "so what" and keep cruising with celebrity. As long as people don't complain and keep paying increases and getting cutbacks on their cruises it will continue to happen, as for me, I am elite on Celebrity and am switching cruise lines. Use to be the food was great....no more...use to be specialty restaurants were reasonable......no more...use to be drinks were reasonable.....no more, but hey, lets put chocolates back on the pillows and everyone will be happy, give them chocolates and raise the tips. I know I will be bashed for speaking up against "wonderful Celebrity Cruises" but this is not the cruise line I use to know, happy cruising

amazing to me how the cruise line can just keep raising prices, specialty dinners, drinks, now gratuities and celebrity cruisers keep saying "so what" and keep cruising with celebrity. As long as people don't complain and keep paying increases and getting cutbacks on their cruises it will continue to happen, as for me, I am elite on Celebrity and am switching cruise lines. Use to be the food was great....no more...use to be specialty restaurants were reasonable......no more...use to be drinks were reasonable.....no more, but hey, lets put chocolates back on the pillows and everyone will be happy, give them chocolates and raise the tips. I know I will be bashed for speaking up against "wonderful Celebrity Cruises" but this is not the cruise line I use to know, happy cruising

They have a couple new ships to pay for in the coming years how else would they pay for them?

I don't even understand why some even bother to cruise or vacation. They seem more concerned about labor conditions or living conditions of the staff. I vacation to forget my problems for a week not take on the problems of strangers. If the conditions were so horrible they wouldn't be there.

Amen!

Read them again. They're not contradictory at all.

I totally agree with you. Don't worry about being flamed. You posted your opinion as I have done, too. We pay for our cruises. So we can voice our opinions, too. Watch the cheerleaders come on. Lol.

Got your back.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46537001&postcount=12

Since nobody on this thread has been able to come up with anything "official", I did a little research on the boards of our sister cruise-line, RC. Apparently, their latest newsletter (see link) has announced an increase in Gratuities -- with the exact same dates, and amounts, as alluded to in this thread. After reading that, I have some questions:

-- Is X really raising their gratuities? Or did someone just erroneously assume that X would raise their grats, after reading RC announcement? It actually would make sense, given that they are both owned by RCCL.

-- If X is planning to raise the gratuities on the same time table as RC, why haven't they made a public announcement yet? Are those of us who cruise Celebrity less deserving of accurate information on such an important topic?

CelebrityCruises -- are you out there?? :confused:

Edited by wwcruisers

It's covering 2 different elements, 1 the cruise, 2 pre-paying.

1) if you pay onboard, and your cruise is before July, current tips apply. After July 1 the new rate applies.

2) if you prepay, you can pre-pay by June 1 to lock in the current rate. If you prepay say June 15 for a post July 1 cruise, you will still pay the new rate.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46537001&postcount=12

Since nobody on this thread has been able to come up with anything "official", I did a little research on the boards of our sister cruise-line, RC. Apparently, their latest newsletter (see link) has announced an increase in Gratuities -- with the exact same dates, and amounts, as alluded to in this thread. After reading that, I have some questions:

-- Is X really raising their gratuities? Or did someone just erroneously assume that X would raise their grats, after reading RC announcement? It actually would make sense, given that they are both owned by RCCL.

-- If X is planning to raise the gratuities on the same time table as RC, why haven't they made a public announcement yet? Are those of us who cruise Celebrity less deserving of accurate information on such an important topic?

CelebrityCruises -- are you out there?? :confused:

Thanks for this information from doing a little research. Still waiting for the official Celebrity announcement.

Meanwhile , "Celebrity Cruise" official poster is MIA. Here has been gone since the

brouhaha over the Luminarae lunches and beverage package increase.

Being the official Celebrity poster is not for the faint of heart.

Thanks for this information from doing a little research. Still waiting for the official Celebrity announcement.

Meanwhile , "Celebrity Cruise" official poster is MIA. Here has been gone since the

Indeed!

Well at least all of us us from the the UK can agree than Bruin Steve knows absolutely nothing about tipping over here.

Actually, I know FAR more than you think...

I was only trying to keep it short and simple so as to not make the entire post that much longer...

So, I wasn't trying to go into an in depth explanation of the British system of compensating servers...just trying to make a slight point of clarification just in case anyone tried to hijack it to "Why should we tip at all?"--which, occasionally one of your own countrymen does on these boards...

Personally, I DO understand that most of you leave a little "something" for good service above and beyond...and some leave the "change" as a course of habit...But it's nowhere in the ballpark of the standard 20% of the bill left here in Southern California--because the "system" or custom IS different...and it was only that distinction I wished to make. I did NOT intend to imply that the British do not leave any gratuity at all.

As to my knowledge of the UK, I may have visited more of the UK over the years than most of you...I have traveled extensively from Dover to Inverness to Land's End...I've visited all parts of England as well as multiple trips to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland...on cruises, on pre- and post cruise extended visits and on purely "land" trips from 1975 through the present...

So you're saying I posted this as "gospel"? I just posted what I know, believe it or don't. A poster after me did give a source but it's against the rules to mention a travel agency by name.

If people named their sources they soon wouldn't have sources. I'll think twice before I break any news in the future.

You posted it as fact without giving an official source.

Had you said "I have been told by someone in the know" people might have reacted differently.

By the way OP is a perfectly valid way of referring to the Original Poster whether you like it or not.

I'm also lucky enough to have a TA that pays all my grats.

Edited by dwhe

I think "CelebrityCruises" is on a cruise over seas and will be back soon.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

it's nowhere in the ballpark of the standard 20% of the bill left here in Southern California--because the "system" or custom IS different...and it was only that distinction I wished to make.

Oxo: Don't worry about being flamed. You posted your opinion as I have done' date=' too. We pay for our cruises. So [b']we can voice our opinions, too[/b]. Watch the cheerleaders come on.

gizmo dog: amazing to me how the cruise line can just keep raising prices' date=' specialty dinners, drinks, now gratuities and celebrity cruisers keep saying "so what" and keep cruising with celebrity. As long as people don't complain and keep paying increases and getting cutbacks on their cruises it will continue to happen [/quote']

keithm: In our catering company we have a 20% service charge. This is to pay the staff that preps the food & otherwise does not have much contact with the client.

Bruin Steve has helped to make a point that I was raising earlier. There is significant confusion for this whole cruise tipping question as the many "customs" vary significantly within the U.S. and especially around the world. Who sets the "standard" and makes the "rules"??? Even within the U.S.' date=' there are major variations as to how some in the food/dining industry are compensated, what tipping if any, is required and/or appropriate. Not everyone on Celebrity cruises is from just California or New York.

And, an added layer of "confusion" is brought up for [b']catering companies by keithm[/b]. It is hard for consumers to understand and know about all of these various internal business compensation practices and details. Are you tipping to compensate the person doing the direct service to you and/or others in the overall food/dining room process? Or, for example, how Wendy's versus Panera pays their staff. Is it 15%, 18% or 20% of the food/beverage bill . . . OR . . . the total bill AFTER the 7-10% sales tax is added on top of the basic cost?

People should be able to discuss and raise legitimate questions without being attacked personally as being "too cheap" and/or not appreciating the staff. Overall, there are many good "sharings" of info and viewpoints on this thread.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 107,820 views for this posting.

I was only trying to keep it short and simple so as to not make the entire post that much longer...

So, I wasn't trying to go into an in depth explanation of the British system of compensating servers...just trying to make a slight point of clarification just in case anyone tried to hijack it to "Why should we tip at all?"--which, occasionally one of your own countrymen does on these boards...

Personally, I DO understand that most of you leave a little "something" for good service above and beyond...and some leave the "change" as a course of habit...But it's nowhere in the ballpark of the standard 20% of the bill left here in Southern California--because the "system" or custom IS different...and it was only that distinction I wished to make. I did NOT intend to imply that the British do not leave any gratuity at all.

As to my knowledge of the UK, I may have visited more of the UK over the years than most of you...I have traveled extensively from Dover to Inverness to Land's End...I've visited all parts of England as well as multiple trips to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland...on cruises, on pre- and post cruise extended visits and on purely "land" trips from 1975 through the present...

I read this with some agreement until

"I've visited all parts of England"

Sorry - but the poster hasn't .

I have lived here for over 50 years and travelled extensively both for Work and leisure but cannot say this. I would wager any amount that I have visited more places in England than the poster.

Perhaps the easiest way to explain why it would appear Brits are , generally , more reluctant tippers than say Americans is to understand some fundamental differences in practices and legal restrictions over here. I am not saying what is done here is better or worse but just different.

1. Under our VAT rules Suppliers MUST display the price to a retail (public) customer including the tax. It is only when a Supplier is selling to another business can the prices be quoted as £xx - and even then the VAT has to be shown with a total payable. So if you are in a shop in the UK the price on the label is the price you pay and the shop cannot charge any extra.

I have often seen in Florida Brits saying to the checkout operator "but that's not what was on the price label". Followed by an explanation of how tax is added at point of sale. Its usually only a small amount but does cause some bemusement to first time visitors (or even seasoned Visitors like my Father in Law ! )

2. In our licensed pubs and bars the selling price of drinks must be 'prominently displayed for customers'. Bar owner cannot add to this.

3. Some restaurants have been creeping in small print at the bottom of their menus saying "xx% service charge will be added for groups of ... or more". Whilst not illegal the charge cannot be enforced if the customers refuse to pay. I have witnessed an owner being told this one night in a Restaurant after he called the Police when a Customer declined to pay.

4. In Britain staff are entitled to a Statutory minimum wage, therefore the business owner has to factor this in to their selling prices.

The poster was correct in saying ,

"I DO understand that most of you leave a little "something" for good service above and beyond...and some leave the "change" as a course of habit."

What is blurring things a bit is the 'creeping in of the 'American system'.

for example Owners taking wages from the 'Tip Pool' then topping up to the minimum wage or adding the balance. I understand this is to be outlawed (or may have been already).

Whilst it would be wrong for me to say "all Brits" do such and such. I think most will tip as customary when visiting , say, USA. In the UK I believe a lot of Brits would be like me in a Restaurant and tip £x per head if the service is good rather than a %age. After all its the same effort in pouring a £40 bottle of wine for 4 people as it is a £20 bottle.

I would make a guess it is because Brits are 'not used' to the gratuities of 15 - 20% that Celebrity change the pricing on boats leaving the UK. And good on them for that IMHO.

Edited by gcgold

I think "CelebrityCruises" is on a cruise over seas and will be back soon.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Celebritycruises posted on another thread, so seemingly feels this is something they cannot comment on at this stage.

I make you correct with your assertion "why should we tip at all" with regard to the UK tipping culture Steve, it is not the act of tipping that incenses us Brits it is the idea we must do so to subsidise someone's wages when we expect those who employ them to pay their staff a living wage.

That said I'm sure you've witnessed during your many travels a willingness by those dining to show their appreciation to their servers on a regular basis and one which is commonplace.

I do think you underestimate the percentages though, for example, a typical restaurant depending on the geography will apply a service charge anything between 12.50% and 20% and speaking from personal experience we add another 10% - 15% depending on the quality of the meal and service.

Bon Appetite.:)

By the way OP is a perfectly valid way of referring to the Original Poster whether you like it or not.

At the end of my sentence about being called OP I placed a smiley face. Most people understand that means you're kidding or happy. It can be used so people don't misunderstand your tone. I'm sorry you don't know that.

I do think you underestimate the percentages though, for example, a typical restaurant depending on the geography will apply a service charge anything between 12.50% and 20% and speaking from personal experience we add another 10% - 15% depending on the quality of the meal and service.

Bon Appetite.:)

Is the poster saying this happens in the swansea area , the UK or the States ?

If saying Swansea or the UK are we saying this service charge is added to the bill ? Restaurants wont get away that ' up t' north :D'

...In our catering company we have a 20% service charge. This is to pay the staff that preps the food & otherwise does not have much contact with the client...

I don't intend to challenge your business practices keithm, but I am puzzled. (And my question/comment does segue back to the main topic so I am not hijacking the thread!) When you say your 20% charge is to pay those that do not have much contact with the client, it implies to me that those who do have contact (servers? bartenders?) will be getting tipped. Which is what puzzles me.

I am a tipper. At a restaurant I will usually start my calculation at 20% of the gross bill (i.e., the bill including tax) and then round up from there. Not automatic, I do drop down to the 10-15% range if a server has been noticeably slow, surly, or sloppy, and I did recently leave a $.17 tip (I rounded the bill up to the nearest whole $) for the young lady who insisted on calling me Honi and my wife Sweetie. (With a note explaining her need for better manners.) But mostly I am a generous tipper. Nevertheless, I cannot recall any time at a banquet or catered event when I even thought about leaving a tip. I just hope that your direct-contact catering staff aren't getting stiffed by a lot of people like me who assume that the manager/caterer is taking care of their staff wages and have incorporated that cost into the charge for the event.

Onboard I don't carry cash around with me and I can't imagine a situation where I would want to offer someone at the Excursions Desk or at Guest Relations or at the coffee shop or behind a bar or anyplace else a cash tip to reward them for doing their job. I regret that cruise lines take the disingenuous approach of "adding gratuities" to the cost of a cruise rather than being upfront and simply increasing their fares by 15% or whatever the % is today. At the end of the cruise $xxxx x 1.15 is the same amount whether that extra 15% is labeled "gratuity" or "fare increase." Though I guess I should be grateful that they do label the % charge as "gratuity" as this relieves me from thinking about whether I need to be doing anything extra to recognize the staff.

In any case, I recognize that the cruise lines expect me to pay for the services they provide, they do hope to make a profit, and they will try to balance pricing and market supply and demand to maximize their profits. They charge more, I will pay more. If the charge becomes more than the service is worth to me, I will stop buying the service. And start buying the stock so I can participate in the profits being made.