Disappearing excursion?

sue2go

I was surprised to see excursions become available this early for our Feb '16 Panama Canal cruise. I reserved one, which has now disappeared from the list of choices, though it still shows my reservation and the cost in my personalizer. As a Princess newbie, I assume it will come back?? It was the Embera Village tour, so I doubt it will not be offered, as it seems a popular one.

If they had cancelled it, you would have gotten an email from Princess about it. We had booked a tour for our next cruise as soon as they opened and about a month later I got an email advising that the tour was not going to be available (likely something happened to the tour operator) and to please go pick another one for that port. A little disappointing, but there was still plenty to choose from.

Maybe it could be that space was limited and the tour was completely sold out so no longer available to new bookings. For example (and this is not knowing what your tour is) if it was a boat excursion and the boat only holds 50 people, once those 50 slots are filled there is no point to continue posting it on the website. That is one of the reasons I like to book ASAP.

We had a tour in Victoria cancelled on our most recent voyage. We did get an email from Princess in advance. I was surprised when the tour fare was charged to our onboard account. A visit to the excursions desk confirmed that it would be removed by the end of the cruise and it was removed as promised.

Maybe it could be that space was limited and the tour was completely sold out so no longer available to new bookings. For example (and this is not knowing what your tour is) if it was a boat excursion and the boat only holds 50 people, once those 50 slots are filled there is no point to continue posting it on the website. That is one of the reasons I like to book ASAP.

My experience has been that sold out excursions remain on the web-site. They are annotated as sold out. Some times there is an option to join a wait-list.

I do agree about booking early though. It guarantees you a slot and protects you from prices increases.

We've been on the Embara Village excursion. Highly recommended.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and reassurance. It's especially good to hear that you enjoyed the Embera Village excursion beg3yrs! I'm so excited about this bucket list cruise!!

Sometimes what happens is the cruise line offers the excursions but it depends how long the ship will be in port and if there is enough time for the excursion. I recently ran into this situation with Princess for a Royal Princess cruise booked for Jan 2016. The ship will be in St. Thomas only 7hrs which was not enough time to get to Virgin Gorda and back so they eliminated the offer.:cool::cool:

One of the great things about Princess is you don't have to pay for excursions in advance. It wouldn't cost anything to go ahead and book a backup excursion if there are any you'd like to do if this one does get canceled.

I was surprised to see excursions become available this early for our Feb '16 Panama Canal cruise. I reserved one, which has now disappeared from the list of choices, though it still shows my reservation and the cost in my personalizer. As a Princess newbie, I assume it will come back?? It was the Embera Village tour, so I doubt it will not be offered, as it seems a popular one.

I think it is too early for a Feb 16 excursion to be sold out.

At this point the best I could guess is that the IT department's right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.

If it still exists, it should be listed. If it no longer exists, it should not remain on your personalizer.

They might be renegotiating the contract for the tour, but only Princess can tell you why it disappeared from the available list.

We are on the Island starting Feb 3, and the same thing has happened. Have booked the tour and now it is no longer offered. Seems odd indeed.

We are on the Island starting Feb 3, and the same thing has happened. Have booked the tour and now it is no longer offered. Seems odd indeed.

Hmmm - that makes me wonder if they are reconsidering pricing - if it goes up I would think ours would be honored since the pricing and booking still shows...

This really seems to be a question that would be better answered by calling Princess and speaking to their excursion department rather than relying on speculation by posters on these boards.

This really seems to be a question that would be better answered by calling Princess and speaking to their excursion department rather than relying on speculation by posters on these boards.

Since I'm so far out just thought someone who's cruised with Princess before might know. If it gets closer and it remains this way I'll certainly do that.

After reading your concerns we called Princess today and am glad we did. We had booked the tour, our in laws traveling with us had not yet. We called and explained the tour is no longer showing for excursions? She said it is still available. So she added the in laws and sent each of us a confirmation through e-mail. Having that gives us a little more assurance. Good Luck

• 1 month later...
After reading your concerns we called Princess today and am glad we did. We had booked the tour, our in laws traveling with us had not yet. We called and explained the tour is no longer showing for excursions? She said it is still available. So she added the in laws and sent each of us a confirmation through e-mail. Having that gives us a little more assurance. Good Luck

So .... Nothing has changed in the cruise personalizer. And I can't make a "backup reservation" because the personalizer balks at the conflict with the still showing reservation for the non-exitstant excursion. The Princess rep tried to help, and called the help desk, who said yes it exists - and yes, they see the same thing - and yes, the IT dept. will have to address this glitch. Then I was surprised a bit when she said if you call back on Monday when they are in they can address this..... OK - first time dealing with Princess customer service but isn't there a way for them to pass on that information instead of me calling back? I will call back, just so it's fixed (my career was in IT) but when I took the 1 question survey they got a 4 instead of a 5 because though she was diligent and did her best - I should not have to call back to report the problem... me thinks.