Royal to raise gratuities

I don't agree. This was a published cost of the cruise by the cruise line. They will automatically charge this to my stateroom without my interaction so to me it is an arranged cost between me and the cruiseline at the time of booking. It was also mentioned in my documentation when I booked the cruise with my TA. So far I have yet to get any email from my TA or RC that this is changing so if I didn't know I would be charged the extra above what is disclosed in my booking.

Now if my booking agreement stated that it is recommended that you give tips to employees of the ship in a certain amount but RC wasn't planning on doing this for me then that would be between me and the employees. But since RC is going to charge me either way unless I go down to guest services and reverse it PLUS my name gets put on the naughty list in the crew passage ways then I think my hand is being forced. They should have to honor that agreement.

I would think that the better way to approach this is if they sent a message stating that we are raising the standard suggested gratuity levels for employees. Since you booked before this change we will still be charging you the old rate but if you would like to have the new gratuity level added to your stateroom please come to guest services and we will adjust the amount for you.

I understand you think you had a binding contract with the cruise line but that simply isn't the case. Here's the only relevant portions of the cruise contract:

"a) 'Agreement' or 'Contract' means the terms and conditions set forth in this Ticket Contract together with the Cruise or CruiseTour Fare due for Your

Cruise or CruiseTour. Together, the items described in the preceding sentence shall constitute an agreement between Passenger and Operator for the

Cruise or CruiseTour."

"d) 'Cruise Fare' or 'CruiseTour Fare' includes the amount due for the Cruise or Cruise Tour, whether such amounts are owing and/or have been paid by

the Passenger, but does not include amounts due for other products or services such as air transportation, photographs, gratuities, telephone calls, or medical services which can be purchased separately, nor does it include government or quasi-governmental taxes and fees, whether assessed on a per passenger, per vessel, per berth or per ton basis, nor any fuel surcharges, security surcharges or similar assessments made by airlines, trains, buses, hotels or other third parties which are subject to change and are due and payable by Passenger upon request. For CruiseTours that include air travel, airfare is included in the CruiseTour Fare."

This specifically excludes gratuities.

Since you admit you can have all or part of the gratuities removed at guest services, then you agree that the gratuities are 'voluntary'. It really doesn't matter if such removal might have real or imagined consequences. They are still 'voluntary'. Since the gratuities are 'voluntary', they cannot be enforced through a contract. If they could be enforced, then they would not be 'voluntary'.

If you prepay tips you have no option to adjust it on board in case of really bad service.

Prepaid fixed amounts are not tips or gratuities anymore, they are a surcharge. For me it is obvious that a decrease in service quality comes together with prepaid and from RCL distributed gratuities. Services staff has no longer any personal motivation to work for this extra payment. as long as no guest complaints everyone gets his or her share....

Buttom line is increasing costs for decreasing service.

If you prepay tips you have no option to adjust it on board in case of really bad service.

Prepaid fixed amounts are not tips or gratuities anymore, they are a surcharge. For me it is obvious that a decrease in service quality comes together with prepaid and from RCL distributed gratuities. Services staff has no longer any personal motivation to work for this extra payment. as long as no guest complaints everyone gets his or her share....

Buttom line is increasing costs for decreasing service.

Not true at all. From the RCI website....."Should you have questions or wish to adjust the amount of the gratuity, please visit the Guest Services desk onboard by the morning of your departure from your cruise".

Have you personally experienced a decline in service with prepaid gratuities or is this just an assumption that service will be bad??

We have been doing MTD since it was first introduced. MTD requires gratuities being prepaid with final paymwent. We have seen no decrease in service nor attitude. In fact, I think that the service has improved.

I think 15% is standard and enough, if Royal would like to give their employees a raise then do it out of their own checkbook or slightly increase fares and let all of us be ignorant to it.

I can see your point, but at least they are letting their guests know of the policy so that you can make an informed decision as to whether you want to continue on your cruise or not. What if everyone were thinking they had awhile to pay and then at the end, the increase suddenly went into effect? Wouldn't you be asking questions about why? I can't see many people not asking a question if their fare went up at the time of final payment without an explanation.

Still not enough of an increase to make me stop cruising.

I understand you think you had a binding contract with the cruise line but that simply isn't the case. Here's the only relevant portions of the cruise contract:

"a) 'Agreement' or 'Contract' means the terms and conditions set forth in this Ticket Contract together with the Cruise or CruiseTour Fare due for Your

Cruise or CruiseTour. Together, the items described in the preceding sentence shall constitute an agreement between Passenger and Operator for the

Cruise or CruiseTour."

"d) 'Cruise Fare' or 'CruiseTour Fare' includes the amount due for the Cruise or Cruise Tour, whether such amounts are owing and/or have been paid by

the Passenger, but does not include amounts due for other products or services such as air transportation, photographs, gratuities, telephone calls, or medical services which can be purchased separately, nor does it include government or quasi-governmental taxes and fees, whether assessed on a per passenger, per vessel, per berth or per ton basis, nor any fuel surcharges, security surcharges or similar assessments made by airlines, trains, buses, hotels or other third parties which are subject to change and are due and payable by Passenger upon request. For CruiseTours that include air travel, airfare is included in the CruiseTour Fare."

This specifically excludes gratuities.

Since you admit you can have all or part of the gratuities removed at guest services, then you agree that the gratuities are 'voluntary'. It really doesn't matter if such removal might have real or imagined consequences. They are still 'voluntary'. Since the gratuities are 'voluntary', they cannot be enforced through a contract. If they could be enforced, then they would not be 'voluntary'.

I never said I thought I had a binding contract about this. I just said that RCCL had a published gratuity price when I booked the cruise. I understand there are lots of things in the contract that I don't agree with and frankly if I am on the boat and they don't go anywhere I am not entitled anything according to the contract. But a good cruise company will compensate passengers even with that wording in the contract if something happens like when RCCL couldn't sail for a few days because of the Galveston oil spill. They still provided full refunds even though the contract still entitles them to not pay back a cent. This is what corporations do. They put all protections for themselves and none for the person buying the service. Then they can look like the good guy when they do make things right because someone will always say "you weren't entitled to that compensation because the contract says this" so even a small token seems like they went above and beyond the "contract".

With that said I think there are understood conditions that customers make when they purchase something. In this case I purchased a cruise for X amount of dollars knowing that I would have to also pay a required gratuity of Y. Now that I have paid in full and cannot cancel without losing 50% of my cruise fair that amount Y has been increased. They also raised the price of Chops and the beverage package since I purchased but I don't care about that because I have the option to buy or not. With gratuities it is different because I am automatically charged. In order to not be charged I have to go to guest services and remove them. Then I get potentially a bad rep with the employees because I am on a "list" in the bowels of the ship. That is even if I plan on paying them cash at the end of the cruise. And I shouldn't have to tell them what I plan on tipping or when I plan on tipping to get my service restored because they think I am stiffing them.

To me this is no different than my cable company all of a sudden deciding to start charging me to rent my cable modem. My contract states that I only have a certain price on my internet but then all of a sudden they increase my monthly payment because I now pay a fee to rent my modem. This is the way they raise what I have to pay without any choice of my own without raising a big stink and getting it removed. To me RCCL has stooped to this level.

If they would have done what I posted earlier stating that they were raising the gratuities and would honor the price when I booked but if I would like to increase my tips for stellar service then to come to guest services any time they would have come across much less trying to do whatever they can to increase the cost of my cruise. Which they have because almost everything has gone up. Beverage packages, specialty dining, individual drinks, and now gratuities. The price I had in mind when I booked is significantly more expensive than before. Plus in order to get a cheaper price like for dining or gratuities I have to pay now before I even step foot on the boat. When I sailed on Disney and they raised the price of Palo before my cruise they let me make reservations at the old price BUT I didn't have to pay until my cruise was over. Or RCCL could have just chosen to raise prices on cruises starting > 90 days out so people who can't back out have that choice if they so choose.

Edited by ummgood

This may have been mentioned, and if so I apologize. Problem with a really big thread.

It seems to me that in order to lock in the $12 grats you only have to agree to adding tips to invoice and pay them at final payment. That being said, this just seems like a way to prevent passengers from using OBC to pay for tips

I had honestly never considered using OBC to pay tips. Interesting idea though.

I had honestly never considered using OBC to pay tips. Interesting idea though.

That was my plan because I have enough OBC to pay tips. I already prepaid for my excursions and packages so I figured the gratuities could be paid by OBC and we would still have a small amount for some trinkets. Now I prepaid and we'll just use our OBC for something else I am sure.

You can REMOVE the gratuities completely from your on board account. There are still people that skip out completely from tips…..sad but true. :eek:

That disgusts me. Almost as much as people who break wind in the elevator and leave.

We have been doing MTD since it was first introduced. MTD requires gratuities being prepaid with final paymwent. We have seen no decrease in service nor attitude. In fact, I think that the service has improved.

I agree. I don't think we'll ever go back to regular seating in the MDR.

When legislated by the cruise line it's a surcharge, not a tip.

A very minor amount but one that has clearly tainted our regard for Celebrity for future bookings with them going forward.

Interesting point. If they call it a surcharge, or just a charge to each cabin- would people be less likely to complain about it?

I will not stop cruising just because someone charged me an extra 95 cents a day. Over a week, it's barely the cost of one coffee drink. All you have to forgo to make up the difference is one specialty coffee.

If I had enough time and money to cruise all the time, it would get to me. However, that said- if you have enough money to cruise for months at the time (yes, even combined time on shorter cruises)- you have enough money to pay the 95 cent a day increase. I long for the day when I have enough money and vacation time for even ONE B2B cruise- much less enough time to cruise for months at the time. If you have enough to cruise that much- figure something out.

I am one "who tip extra". However I really don't appreciate being forced. I like to tip and I do it often. But when it's not voluntary, it's not fun. Thought I was supposed to enjoy cruising. Really, a little bit? Try the math. 95 times 2 times many many days cruising equals what? For those who only cruise once in a while, maybe not much. How about those who cruise more than a third of a year every year?

From someone who cruises once in awhile, my view is that if you have enough time and money to cruise for 1/3 of the year- you have enough to pay the extra 95 cents a day and be done with it. Besides, somewhere in there you are getting some other perk that offsets that price. You are getting a free coffee, discounted laundry service, discounted internet and/or something else of value to you. If you are at Diamond level, and you are getting free drinks on a daily basis and you drink a drink that would cost $12- when you look at it- you are basically paying 95 cents a day for tips. Maybe you don't "see" the savings, but that money is money you are not having to spend on something else.

You choose to cruise that much. That's money I cannot even comprehend. It seems like it would hit the casual cruiser harder. All of you who have cruised for years to get these perks, good for you. Maybe one day I will have that kind of time. Until then, I am fine with paying the extra 95 cents a day and forgoing one coffee drink for that week to offset the difference. Goodness gracious.

From someone who cruises once in awhile, my view is that if you have enough time and money to cruise for 1/3 of the year- you have enough to pay the extra 95 cents a day and be done with it.

I have to agree. Based on 7 night cruises X 17 weeks my math shows an extra $113.05 from this increase. Not really that big of a deal :) Especially for someone fortunate enough to cruise 17 weeks a year. I cannot fathom that either. :eek: I do good to get one a year in! And wasnt even able to do that for the last 3 years! Maybe one day! :)

Edited by ryano

From someone who cruises once in awhile, my view is that if you have enough time and money to cruise for 1/3 of the year- you have enough to pay the extra 95 cents a day and be done with it. Besides, somewhere in there you are getting some other perk that offsets that price. You are getting a free coffee, discounted laundry service, discounted internet and/or something else of value to you. If you are at Diamond level, and you are getting free drinks on a daily basis and you drink a drink that would cost $12- when you look at it- you are basically paying 95 cents a day for tips. Maybe you don't "see" the savings, but that money is money you are not having to spend on something else.

You choose to cruise that much. That's money I cannot even comprehend. It seems like it would hit the casual cruiser harder. All of you who have cruised for years to get these perks, good for you. Maybe one day I will have that kind of time. Until then, I am fine with paying the extra 95 cents a day and forgoing one coffee drink for that week to offset the difference. Goodness gracious.

Well said

I was able to prepay my gratuities through my TA just now at the old $12/day/person rate. I was going to use my onboard credit but I'm sure we'll buy some souvenirs for the kids with that anyway so no biggie. I will now pay any extra tips I deem appropriate with cash.

Glad it worked out for you.

It still amazes me how some can spend hundreds of dollars and then quibble about a buck or two FOR SERVICE TO MAKE THEIR EXPERIENCE BETTER. If a person can't afford the price then maybe, just maybe, they should reconsider their decision to sail. Most of the workers really need the money for themselves and their families. Cheapskates....I'm surrounded by cheapskates.....:eek:

I completely agree with you on this. Folk here are complaining about an extra $57 to cruise for 30 days. I can't even imagine having 30 days to take and do whatever the heck I want. If you can afford a 30 day cruise, you can afford $57. That's not even the price you will pay for 2 people at Chops Grille.

Interesting point. I assume we can pay with the OBC' date=' but we loose the 95 cent benefit/person/day compared to prepaying. For those who don't expect to fully use their OBC, they may be better off not prepaying.

The only other reason I can think of not to prepay gratuities is to maintain the option of reducing tips in the event of poor service, which fortunately doesn't seem to happen often.

Let's be honest. Of everyone who has weighed in that the increase is insignificant, etc., how many of you will prepay gratuities that don't have to (i.e. for MTD)? :)[/quote']

I will. I switched from MTD to Traditional and asked if I could leave the pre-paid grats on my bill so I didn't have to worry about it later.

To be honest, the outrage over the extra 95 cents a day is completely absurd. This a terribly first world problem to have, as is the problem of the amount it will go up for those who cruise for 1/3 of the year. Unless you work for the cruise line (and then you would be glad to get the benefit of increased gratuity) or you have a job that requires you to expend that extra cash- then you are cruising for pleasure. You have leisure time and expendable cash. I dream of the day I have enough expendable income that this is a problem for me.

Just wondering if those of you who love to take off the gratuities look for reasons to cut corners at every moment. Seems like that might be the case. Just look at the prepaid grats as a necessary cost of cruising and forget about it. If it bothers you that much, then quit cruising.

To be honest, the outrage over the extra 95 cents a day is completely absurd.

Agreed

Just look at the prepaid grats as a necessary cost of cruising and forget about it.

They aren't.

If it bothers you that much, then quit cruising.

This topic seems to bother you. I wouldn't tell you to quit cruising though. Do what you think is right and that's all you can do.

Edited by LMaxwell

If you break wind in the elevator, why would you want to stay?

The point is that people can be really tacky. I would never go out to a restaurant where tipping is the norm and NOT tip. NEVER! If I don't have the money to tip, I don't go out. If I think the restaurant is not worth tipping, I don't go to that restaurant. The point is. You are EXPECTED to tip/pay gratuities when you cruise. In other words, if you are going to cruise, have some social decorum and do the right thing. Don't subject others to your bad behavior and then just go off on your merry way expecting others to pay for your bad behavior.

The point is that people can be really tacky. I would never go out to a restaurant where tipping is the norm and NOT tip. NEVER! If I don't have the money to tip, I don't go out. If I think the restaurant is not worth tipping, I don't go to that restaurant. The point is. You are EXPECTED to tip/pay gratuities when you cruise. In other words, if you are going to cruise, have some social decorum and do the right thing. Don't subject others to your bad behavior and then just go off on your merry way expecting others to pay for your bad behavior.

While I don't disagree with anything you said, tipping seems to be a USA thing. Most people from Europe and Asia do very little, if any, tipping. Thus, would not even expect it, especially since the ships are no registered in the USA.

...That being said, this just seems like a way to prevent passengers from using OBC to pay for tips
If I don't completely remove tips and pay cash, I'll still visit guest services and adjust the tips to $12.00/day/person. Best of both worlds (get the $12 rate and can use the OBC for the tips.)

As far as needing to pay for the tips by June 1st, that issue has been put to bed already per the link I gave to the Royal web site.

I have read your post several times over a long period trying to decide how to respond. My original post was to attempt to balance those who kept denying that the amount of money did not add up to a significant amount. You seem to have used it as an excuse to attack my choices in cruising. Not sure why my choices offend you, however I find myself offended by your attack. Originally I thought about referring to the mods but decided instead to respond. I believe that it is this kind of response that makes people reluctant to post truthfully on CC. So going forward if you want to discuss Royal's policies then great. But if you prefer to attack then I'm done here.