Royal to raise gratuities

Full Text:

Effective June 1, 2015

Taking effect June 1, 2015, for all sailings departing on or after July 1, 2015, the new recommended gratuities guideline will be $12.95 per day, per guest in standard accommodations, and $15.95 per day, per guest in suites.

For guests convenience, Royal Caribbean automatically registers the daily gratuities in guests' folios, although guests are free to change the amount at their discretion with the ships Guest Services.

Guests who prepay their gratuities prior to the effective date can still do so based on the current guideline of $12.00 per day, per guest in standard accommodations, and $14.25 per day, per suite guest.

The adjustment will help recognize the exceptional work that Royal Caribbean's staff and crew does to deliver unforgettable vacations every day. Encourage your clients to take advantage of the current rate if they prepay their gratuities prior to June 1.

If you don't prepay your gratuities, Royal will automatically charge your onboard account the daily recommended amount. You can go to Guest Services and request they increase, reduce, or discontinue automatic gratuities.

You can REMOVE the gratuities completely from your on board account. There are still people that skip out completely from tips…..sad but true. :eek:

Suites are getting hit harder - $1.70 per person per day increase. If the service improved that would be one thing...

Proportionately Suites have always paid less gratuity-wise compared to cruise fare than an standard cabin.

Random Allure Sailing: 7/10/2016

Cheapest Full Suite = $6502 Base cruise fare for two. Gratuities = $223.30; or 3.4% of base cruise fare

Cheapest Standard Room= $2146 Base cruise fare for two. Gratuities = 181.30; or 8.4% of base cruise fare

If an interior paid the same rate as a suite gratuities would be $73 for a week for two.

If a suite paid the same rate as an interior gratuities would be $546 for a week for two!!!

I have a cruise coming up; great deal in an oceanview room, where the gratuity comes out to 22% of the base cruise fare!

Interesting when you think about it that way. But I suppose the flat rates make the most sense because once you are out of the room 99% of the features and amenities are the same.

Who cares what they are charging for tips. I'm going to wait in line with customer service to remove my auto tip - then tip in cash what I think they deserve. I'm the customer, and what I believe to be true must be true. Probably a solid twenty spot for the week -- and in cash!!!

Who cares what they are charging for tips. I'm going to wait in line with customer service to remove my auto tip - then tip in cash what I think they deserve. I'm the customer, and what I believe to be true must be true. Probably a solid twenty spot for the week -- and in cash!!!

<Sarcasm hopefully detected>

My suggestion, breath in slowly, exhale slowly. Serenity now.

For guests convenience, Royal Caribbean automatically registers the daily gratuities in guests' folios, although guests are free to change the amount at their discretion with the ships Guest Services.

Ooh...I really need to call my TA and make full payment on my October cruise (it has prepaid gratuities, I've just been waiting for a new credit card to arrive in the mail, to take advantage of airline miles offer - but I may just pay it on a different card and be done with it).

Ooh...I really need to call my TA and make full payment on my October cruise (it has prepaid gratuities, I've just been waiting for a new credit card to arrive in the mail, to take advantage of airline miles offer - but I may just pay it on a different card and be done with it).

It sounds like you don't have to pay off the cruise to get the lower gratuity amount. You just have to have prepaid gratuities added to your booking before June 1.

One other question. If I call tomorrow and pre pay the gratuities (ie at current $12 rate before the increase), but then something happens before final payment and we need to cancel our cruise..then would we get our gratuities amount back?

P.S. - we are on MTD if that makes a difference

You are "not" required to pre-pay your gratuities (no way to do that)...you are only adding them to your booking ('s) before June 1st.

GASP.

95 cents a day more?

Per Person

I know 95 cents didn't sound like much but for my wife and me its a $1.90 per day and it does sneak up there. We are doing 30 nights on the Ovation of the Seas next May and that would total out at $57

One other question. If I call tomorrow and pre pay the gratuities (ie at current $12 rate before the increase), but then something happens before final payment and we need to cancel our cruise..then would we get our gratuities amount back?

P.S. - we are on MTD if that makes a difference

I already ask that question of my TA and his answer was yes.

If people are already booked with MY Time, then gratuities are already on your booking. You don't have to do anything.

You just have to call and have the gratuity code added to your booking if you have traditional dining. You don't have to pay for them until final. If you do this by May 31st, you will get the lower rate.

At least they are giving warning!

I honestly do not understand why everyone is in a panic to make sure you get it done by June 1st...

If you cant pay the extra few dollars, maybe you should rethink your vacation plans.

Yes, I understand that it can add up and the service isnt what it once was, but it is like every job, its a cost of living increase.

There are sooooo many ppl who have no problem paying $5.00 +++ for their morning coffee yet 0.95 - 1.70 daily and the world is coming to an end.

And then there are those who tip extra regardless that aren't complaining about the increase

:eek:*shaking my head* :eek:

I honestly do not understand why everyone is in a panic to make sure you get it done by June 1st...

If you cant pay the extra few dollars, maybe you should rethink your vacation plans.

Yes, I understand that it can add up and the service isnt what it once was, but it is like every job, its a cost of living increase.

There are sooooo many ppl who have no problem paying $5.00 +++ for their morning coffee yet 0.95 - 1.70 daily and the world is coming to an end.

And then there are those who tip extra regardless that aren't complaining about the increase

:eek:*shaking my head* :eek:

I am one "who tip extra". However I really don't appreciate being forced. I like to tip and I do it often. But when it's not voluntary, it's not fun. Thought I was supposed to enjoy cruising. Really, a little bit? Try the math. 95 times 2 times many many days cruising equals what? For those who only cruise once in a while, maybe not much. How about those who cruise more than a third of a year every year?

Oh Royal, where will it stop? An extra $0.95 per day:eek: To keep on budget, that means people will have to cut back and not buy that one beer on their cruise. Or maybe they will skip the $10 sale and then you will be down $3.35 in revenue.

What will you do then? Have $10.95 sales? Have spa specials increase to $139.95? If we believe the statistics that the average cruiser will spend $222.00 a day this year, you just bumped that to $222.95. It sounds like many can not afford this.

And just what part of the increase will my assistant waiter get? Twenty cents? That's what, maybe two cents an hour. Oh the outrage.

Where will it stop? Where will it stop?

It's not the few dollars, it's a matter of principle. I purchased something for a certain price. Just because the purchase is an "intangible" entity that I haven't received yet doesn't mean that the company should be allowed to raise that price between purchase and delivery time.

just what part of the increase will my assistant waiter get? Twenty cents? That's what, maybe two cents an hour.

Twenty cents you say,

twenty cents it is then.... I say.

Some may say twenty cents is worth a lot of money to the assistant to help him with his old one legged granny, with only partial sight in a house somewhere with no water or electricity.

Per Person

I know 95 cents didn't sound like much but for my wife and me its a $1.90 per day and it does sneak up there. We are doing 30 nights on the Ovation of the Seas next May and that would total out at $57

Suites are getting hit harder - $1.70 per person per day increase. If the service improved that would be one thing...

WOW!! This has got to be two of the funniest posts I have ever seen on CC. Can you even hear yourselves?

Suites are hit hard.. $1.70 per person per day. LMFAO.. so for a 7 night cruise that is an extra $11.90, while in a SUITE. If $11.90 is a problem, maybe you better slum it in the D1's like the rest of us. :cool:

30 Nights on the Ovation = $57 extra dollars. SERIOUSLY? :eek:

This is not meant to come off rude, I just cannot for the life of me understand the two situations above. As far as service improving? Hmmm Well most service does not improve in our jobs when we get a raise now does it? My patients still get the same service they got from me last year, even thought I got a $2.25 an hour raise. Completely and utterly amazing!

It's not the few dollars, it's a matter of principle. I purchased something for a certain price. Just because the purchase is an "intangible" entity that I haven't received yet doesn't mean that the company should be allowed to raise that price between purchase and delivery time.

Yes... actually they can, since unless you prepaid your gratuities you have not PURCHASED them yet.

A similar comparison would be.. if you book a cruise in May of 2015, for May of 2017, and the bar prices go up after you booked. Again.. if you did not buy the drink package already, then you have not purchased the drinks, and you are subject to the higher price.

Get it?

I mentioned this once before in another thread, but can't we go to guest relations after boarding and dictate the amount we want taken out automatically for gratuities?

Can't we lower/raise the amount or couldn't we stop it altogether and tip whom we want and what we want on our own, like the old days?

Am I wrong about this?

I mentioned this once before in another thread, but can't we go to guest relations after boarding and dictate the amount we want taken out automatically for gratuities?

Can't we lower/raise the amount or couldn't we stop it altogether and tip whom we want and what we want on our own, like the old days?

Am I wrong about this?

As long as you have not prepaid gratuities, you can go to Guest Services and modify (or remove) automatic gratuities.

Yes... actually they can, since unless you prepaid your gratuities you have not PURCHASED them yet.

A similar comparison would be.. if you book a cruise in May of 2015, for May of 2017, and the bar prices go up after you booked. Again.. if you did not buy the drink package already, then you have not purchased the drinks, and you are subject to the higher price.

Get it?

No, you don't get it. The prepaid gratuities were mandatory (because it forced me to sign up for My Time dining originally and waitlisted me for traditional dining). Actually, a couple of weeks later it gave me my traditional dining, but obviously the prepaid gratuities stayed on my invoice - so as far as I'm concerned, they are part of my cruise purchase.

Edited by Illyria

No, you don't get it. The prepaid gratuities were mandatory (because it forced me to sign up for My Time dining originally and waitlisted me for traditional dining). Actually, a couple of weeks later it gave me my traditional dining, but obviously the prepaid gratuities stayed on my invoice - so as far as I'm concerned, they are part of my cruise purchase.

OK let's try this again....

Here is my exact words;

So, as I said... since you are prepaid, and your price will NOT go up... what is the problem?

And, in that case, you won't be expected to pay the new rate. So what is the problem?

OK let's try this again....

Here is my exact words;

So, as I said... since you are prepaid, and your price will NOT go up... what is the problem?

I *think*, and this is my reading of it, what ticks some people off is having put a deposit down based on current conditions, and they appreciate being charged to what they have agreed for. I think we all understand purchases of optional items, such as drinks or excursions, are completely optional.

The gratuity is technically optional, but it's automatically charged and some portion can't opt out, so people basically consider it as part of the overall cruise price, and people expect that overall cruise price to be the same as when they put a deposit down. The amount really is trivial. I don't understand people quibbling over the amount. Very few people ARE even quibbling over the amount. Some do take a position against the principle of the total price of their base vacation changing after they've made a deposit.

Anyhow, that's just my reading of why some people are upset; not the amount, not the fact it is still adjustable, just that they put down money in good faith and feel that the goal posts were moved on them, if only by a little bit.