Disabled cabin any chance of an upgrade?

Pjran

We are booked on the Caribbean Princess for a Norwegian cruise this July.

We are in an outside obstructed disabled cabin and I'm wondering if anyone who's booked a disabled cabin has ever been upgraded.

Were you assigned this cabin as a guarantee booking or did you book it as requiring a HA cabin? If the former, check what grade you booked and is this cabin already an upgrade? Second upgrades after assignment are rare, but some happen. If booked as needing an HA cabin, it is unlikely you will be moved.

I booked this cabin type as I am unfortunately a wheelchair user. At the time of booking there was only a choice of insides and an obstructed outside cabin available.

They will only upgrade you if an accessible cabin is available in the higher category, and that is unlikely.

However, you may get lucky. If F315 is not booked, they may upgrade someone from one of the accessible outside cabins. F315 is a full suite located on the Fiesta deck - you can see several threads talking about window suites, and it is fully accessible. I believe it is the only fully accessible suite on the ship.

On one of my early cruises I got an upgrade offer. Unfortunately it was from an accessible cabin (needed) to a standard cabin. I turned it down and haven't been offered another upgrade since.:(

I booked this cabin type as I am unfortunately a wheelchair user. At the time of booking there was only a choice of insides and an obstructed outside cabin available.

I would mark it no upgrade. You have a better chance of getting moved out of a handicapped cabin than getting an upgraded handicapped cabin. There have been many reports of this happening and people struggled to get their old cabin back. Sometimes they had to cancel as they really needed the larger cabin and couldn't sail in a non-handicapped cabin.

They will only upgrade you if an accessible cabin is available in the higher category, and that is unlikely.

However, you may get lucky. If F315 is not booked, they may upgrade someone from one of the accessible outside cabins. F315 is a full suite located on the Fiesta deck - you can see several threads talking about window suites, and it is fully accessible. I believe it is the only fully accessible suite on the ship.

Yes, that is correct. The Caribbean, Golden and Grand Princesses each have a Disabled Accessible Window Suite, and the Regal Princess has a Disabled Accessible Penthouse Suite, the only suites I've been able to find on Princess.

Crochetcruise :cool:

I would mark it no upgrade. You have a better chance of getting moved out of a handicapped cabin than getting an upgraded handicapped cabin. There have been many reports of this happening and people struggled to get their old cabin back. Sometimes they had to cancel as they really needed the larger cabin and couldn't sail in a non-handicapped cabin.

I asked my TA to do this, she said the system wouldn't allow her to, but as I'm in the highest category, Window Suite, available, I wouldn't be downgraded so don't worry. Thanks to Cruise Critic I knew to ask for the booking to be marked "No Upgrade".

I asked my TA to do this, she said the system wouldn't allow her to, but as I'm in the highest category, Window Suite, available, I wouldn't be downgraded so don't worry. Thanks to Cruise Critic I knew to ask for the booking to be marked "No Upgrade".

You will be fine. I have not heard of anyone in a Window Suite being upgraded to a Full Suite.

You will be fine. I have not heard of anyone in a Window Suite being upgraded to a Full Suite.

Thank you Coral, that's very reassuring. I will still be enjoying the Suite perks, and having a lovely time exploring and documenting photographically the Golden Princess.

It stinks that there are so few categories that have disabled cabins, AND that you have to pay more, because can't take advantage of guarantee prices and really all but NO chance of an upgrade.

Edited by GUT2407

It stinks that there are so few categories that have disabled cabins, AND that you have to pay more, because can't take advantage of guarantee prices and really all but NO chance of an upgrade.

True, so very true

I think the part that is not good is that those who need this cabin, are very limited to a few cabins. For example - if a couple needs a disabled cabin and wants an inside but they are all taken, they must pay more for a balcony or choose a different week.

Edited by Coral

We are Elite and need a H/C stateroom. They have so few on most ships that they need to be booked one year to a year and a half in advance. They did offer me an upgrade ONCE but it was to a standard stateroom and I had to turn it down because we need the H/C stateroom.

So I just have them mark my booking NO UPGRADE.

I, too, find that I have to book 12-18 months in advance to get an accessible cabin. "Generally" I can get a cabin of my choosing, an interior or oceanview. If not, then either I look for another cruise, or I wait till next year.:(

I think the part that is not good is that those who need this cabin, are very limited to a few cabins. For example - if a couple needs a disabled cabin and wants an inside but they are all taken, they must pay more for a balcony or choose a different week.

That was my point about guarantee's really, you should be able to book a gtee disabled inside and then get whatever they have, but ru8n the risk [to me anyway] of getting stuck with an inside.