Cagney's will be ala carte pricing

sjnyc323

There is no way that they could keep their current menu and quality and go a la carte. They will need to serve food comparable to Ruth Chris, Morton's, The Palm, Old Homestead Steakhouse, etc., to be able to charge a la carte prices. With their current menu, there is no way I would pay $40 to $50 for a filet and then another $30 on appetizers and sides. At $30 right now, they are priced appropriately for their quality and menu and if they think that it is worth $100 with an a la carte pricing, I believe they would sit empty most of the time.

You're right. It would be empty. Ocean Blue didn't fill up at the price they originally set and this would be even more expensive.

Do we know for sure that they are doing this? I'll wait to hear from NCL and then if they are doing it, I'll simply ask to transfer my perk from UDP to something else.

I'll wait to hear also. Hopefully they will let us know something soon and not just start implementing a new policy on the ships without notice.

If you go to NCL's site on find the "freestyle dining guide" it still has room service listed as free except for the midnight to 5am period. And still show pizza delivery as $5.

However, what really gets me is if you scroll down to bottom of page three lower right hand corner. it is current as of 4/15. Why are they lying. If I never went on CC. and booked based upon what is on the website I would be extremely pissed to say the least.

And whoever "tvguy" is do you work for NCL, you claim to know so much, but contribute nothing more than NCL propaganda. You are argumentative and RUDE!!!. You throw names around like you know these NCL executives. I can google that info too. YOUR FOOLING NOBODY!!!.

NCL has continued to lie over & over. When my company makes a price change, it's on the web site prior to announcement. It's a sleezy way to conduct business NCL. they are becoming the "used car dealer" of the cruise industry.

Very sad...

I totally agree. We've eaten dinner at Cagney's only once -- a number of years ago aboard the Jewel. It was mediocre; not just the meat, but everything about the meal (except the champagne we brought on board ourselves :) ). Perhaps we got them on a very bad night, but I've never understood all the fuss about Cagney's.

I have always thought that Cagney's was overpriced at $30. I think the value of the specialty restaurants should have $8 to $10 added to the cost for the "free" meal in the MDR that you are skipping (you paid that in the fare arleady). I valued Cagney's at about $40. Way overpriced, as it isn't even on a par with a place like Outback Steakhouse where $26 gets you a comparable meal. A la carte quality? Not on your life. Last time I read the Cagney's menu they had removed the USDA grade they used to have (a sign I thought probably meant they were no longer lying about having Prime graded beef). They had changed it to "Certified Angus" which means they could use any grade of beef AFAIK.

But, if they raise the food level to true "foodie" level and get on a par with Morton's, Ruth Chris's or other mainstream a la carte steakhouses then I'm probably good with one night at Cagney's even if it costs $80 per person. At least the quality is there.

I strongly encourage people to follow the lead of one poster and cancel their cruise over this if they care about it. I'm not doing so because I don't go on a cruise for the food, and the MDR, O'Sheehans and the buffet are OK with me for daily food. If I want a good meal I look at land based restaurants which are far superior (at least where I live).

Oh, and by the way, NCL is ahead of 2nd quarter booking estimates, based on same period last year. Just an FYI[emoji33]

Of course they are after 4 straight months of giving away huge promo items like UDP and UBP to entice bookings. And now they are trying to figure out how they are going to recapture the onboard $$ these folks won't now spend by attaching fees to anything that moves, and watering down the value of the free promos to cut the loss. (And ticking off people in the process).

I have always thought that Cagney's was overpriced at $30. I think the value of the specialty restaurants should have $8 to $10 added to the cost for the "free" meal in the MDR that you are skipping (you paid that in the fare arleady). I valued Cagney's at about $40. Way overpriced, as it isn't even on a par with a place like Outback Steakhouse where $26 gets you a comparable meal. A la carte quality? Not on your life. Last time I read the Cagney's menu they had removed the USDA grade they used to have (a sign I thought probably meant they were no longer lying about having Prime graded beef). They had changed it to "Certified Angus" which means they could use any grade of beef AFAIK.

But, if they raise the food level to true "foodie" level and get on a par with Morton's, Ruth Chris's or other mainstream a la carte steakhouses then I'm probably good with one night at Cagney's even if it costs $80 per person. At least the quality is there..

I think most people are happy with the quality of the meat at Cagney's. They did upgrade a year or so ago and it made a huge difference. The steak I had there in January 2014 was one of the best I have ever had, far better than any Outback, and IMO pretty equivalent to a filet at a high end steakhouse.

But, like some of our local steakhouses, they could offer an "upgrade" to a more expensive grade of beef with an "upcharge" just like for lobster for those who desire something above the standard.

An expensive ala carte venue might work with the Regent and Oceania clientele, but I don't think it will fly with the mainstream NCL cruiser.

An expensive ala carte venue might work with the Regent and Oceania clientele, but I don't think it will fly with the mainstream NCL cruiser.

Oceania and Regent do not charge for any of their specialty dining venues (exception are special multi-course wine pairing dinners on Oceania).

While I am not here to promote Oceania, if you are not traveling with children that need to be entertained, you might look at some of the pricing on Oceania for Caribbean itineraries. Oceania includes all soft drinks, juices and non-alcoholic coffees and economy air fare (some promotions also include tips and/or internet). Of course, they have open dining in the MDR and buffet restaurants. Oceania's larger ships have four specialty restaurants (steak, Italian, Asian Fusion and a Jacques Pepin French restaurant). It is quite possible that some Oceania cruises would not be that much more $$$ than NCL. Just something to think about.

Edited by Travelcat2

Corporate is hoping to get $50-$80 per person with a la carte pricing at Cagney's. The eventual goal is to move ALL restaurants to a la carte pricing over time. Part of Del Rio's plan to get more $$$ out of his "captive audience."

OMG :eek:

I love Cagneys but so not worth a cent more than it is today. It was a great deal when it was $20 or $25. But now $30, cut backs and an added 18%. Now this item by item pricing would make me pass on Cagneys.

Corporate is hoping to get $50-$80 per person with a la carte pricing at Cagney's. The eventual goal is to move ALL restaurants to a la carte pricing over time. Part of Del Rio's plan to get more $$$ out of his "captive audience."

While I have no doubt that is where they want to eventually be, I don't see it happening anytime soon. There is simply too much competition out there that will stay with dining included in the cruise price for NCL to go completely A'la Carte in all dining venues. The current design and layout of the ships would make this very difficult as well. I could see future new builds eliminating MDR options and the only included dining being the Buffet and all other venues flat fee or A'la Carte. In 20 years that may be the norm for all mainstream cruise lines. 20 years ago the whole concept of open seating dining was just evolving for MDR and look where we are now ...... This industry is in constant flux and ALL the lines are looking to increase revenue - either in incremental fees or increase to the base fare. Look at any of the forums, every single one has threads complaining about things such as new fees, tips, fare hikes, cutbacks, etc

Guess everyone does. And to be honest the cruise lines need us as customers more than we need them to go on vacation. 54 days still booked for this year, but if they continue like they did the last months I am sure someone else wants my vacation nights for next year. Nothing we should stress about.

While, of course, they need cruisers to book NCL they do not need us specifically. If we do not book, others will come along to book our cabins.

I have sailed HAL over 80 cruises and it is safe to say I'm one of their most loyal guests. My late DH and I always booked "SA" Neptune Suites as HAL calls them.

I just made final payment for my first in my life cruise on NCL. I booked a Penthouse "SE" as a solo.

I expect I will return to HAL in time but this is an example of someone new to NCL booking their suite. ;)

I was going to ask this exact same question! We sail on July 19th on the Breakaway and we have Cagney's reserved one evening through Group Events for a party of 11. Once I read in the beginning of this thread that this a la carte pricing will roll out when the Escape begins to sail (which wouldn't affect our sailing), I also wondered about what I had previously read, which said it will be put in place July 3, 2015 which would affect our sailing.

Any info on a date for sure?

Thank you for this post.

My question had been ignored and I thought I was totally confused and no one wanted to tell me how mixed up I was. :D

I still am confused as to the roll out date for all the ships about this Cagney's thing.

My reading of the posts seems to be contradictory.

Edited by sail7seas

I think most people are happy with the quality of the meat at Cagney's. They did upgrade a year or so ago and it made a huge difference. The steak I had there in January 2014 was one of the best I have ever had, far better than any Outback, and IMO pretty equivalent to a filet at a high end steakhouse.

That wasn't my experience on the Sun in late 2014. Or the time before that cruise on the Epic a few months before. I was never have been able to see what people see in Cagney's as a steak house, but then that's my general criticism of cruise food anyway ... great presentation and so-so food. Kind of like putting a dress on a pig, it may be a pretty dress but it doesn't change the fact that its not Emma Stone.

After the Sun, we agreed never to eat at Cagney's again, but will probably do so if it is still part of the free UDP we have on our next cruise (and if it's not a part of it I won't be disappointed).

I understand and don't disagree with what you are saying. Just remember that this info was leaked by an NCL employee. Someone who should probably be fired for sharing it. You can't be mad at NCL for not telling you something that hasn't been announced yet.

I agree with the rest of what you are saying, except wanted to make that point.

And that, is why, one should never reveal their source ;)

Edited by davesgirl51

Being better than Outback is not a huge achievement, IMO.

We went once or twice and had such a horrid piece of meat we never returned.

It's not better. Maybe once upon a long time ... but it's on par with Outback. Certainly not worth $30pp!

Oceania and Regent do not charge for any of their specialty dining venues (exception are special multi-course wine pairing dinners on Oceania).

While I am not here to promote Oceania, if you are not traveling with children that need to be entertained, you might look at some of the pricing on Oceania for Caribbean itineraries. Oceania includes all soft drinks, juices and non-alcoholic coffees and economy air fare (some promotions also include tips and/or internet). Of course, they have open dining in the MDR and buffet restaurants. Oceania's larger ships have four specialty restaurants (steak, Italian, Asian Fusion and a Jacques Pepin French restaurant). It is quite possible that some Oceania cruises would not be that much more $$$ than NCL. Just something to think about.

For what oceania charges we could cruise 2 or 3 times on the old NCL. Thanks but no thanks.

While I am not here to promote Oceania,.........

No, but of course you pay dearly up front so that they are all "included" in the fare. I would rather pay a lower fare and then choose to add the perks which are important to me. Some don't care anything about the specialty restaurants, others like to dine there several times. Some love the dinner with entertainment options for an extra fee, like Illusionarium, others pass on it. Some feel the Pass for the Thermal Suites is well worth it, others think it is wasted money. And if I had children that needed to be entertained, I doubt I would choose Oceania or Regent.

And, if you are not here to promote Oceania........are you here to promote NCL? And since you have never sailed on an NCL ship and as far as we know don't plan to.......why would you do that?

Edited by punkincc

No desire to cruise on Oceania or Regent. My husband and I love the relaxed and laid back feel of NCL and I doubt we'd be getting those vibes on Oceania and Regent.

But I am considering SeaDream Yacht Club after seeing both of their yachts anchored off shore when we were on a catamaran sail to St. John's.

I sailed Getaway and loved Cagney's...so I purchased the UDP for my Nov 14 sailing on Escape. When I read on CC that Cagney's was going al la carte I called NCL to find out how it affected my UDP. I was told clearly and to the point, Cagney's is no longer part of the UDP...that I would pay to dine there.

I don't have an issue with increased costs, but to deny me what I paid for...that is a not ethical in my book.

As result, I will take my business else where.....cancelling 5 NCL cruises under deposit. This is just wrong...... after 36 years of cruising I have never had something taken away from me that I already paid for....and not even a courtesy notification of the change. With much regret I say good bye to NCL.

PS.....to the corporate guys, I have 5 Regent cruises and one Oceania cruise to my name.....I will refrain from sailing on these lines as well.

To each his own, but professional ethics are important to me......as is where I spend my hard earned dollars.

It's real simple:

If you don't like the change, AND you paid out of pocket for the UDP (not as a perk because you didn't pay for that) then cancel it.

No desire to cruise on Oceania or Regent. My husband and I love the relaxed and laid back feel of NCL and I doubt we'd be getting those vibes on Oceania and Regent.

But I am considering SeaDream Yacht Club after seeing both of their yachts anchored off shore when we were on a catamaran sail to St. John's.

We have been on Sea Dream over 15 times, love the yachts, and surprisingly the vibe is similar to NCL, when there are no kids on board. Get kids and it is not a fun place to be. Regent is just like NCL, very laid back not stuffy at all, We have enjoyed it once and found it just like SD, but bigger.

We have been on Sea Dream over 15 times, love the yachts, and surprisingly the vibe is similar to NCL, when there are no kids on board. Get kids and it is not a fun place to be. Regent is just like NCL, very laid back not stuffy at all, We have enjoyed it once and found it just like SD, but bigger.

Thanks for the info! For us the smaller the ship the better. We'll probably start saving up for SeaDream.

I was going to ask this exact same question! We sail on July 19th on the Breakaway and we have Cagney's reserved one evening through Group Events for a party of 11. Once I read in the beginning of this thread that this a la carte pricing will roll out when the Escape begins to sail (which wouldn't affect our sailing), I also wondered about what I had previously read, which said it will be put in place July 3, 2015 which would affect our sailing.

Any info on a date for sure?

I still have 2 pages of responses to read and someone may have given this answer already, but I would suggest you contact Group Events to make sure your reservation is honored at the price you booked.