Table for two sir?

Wrong, just plain wrong.

You can travel on the bargain basement lines which have no group tables and they have no problem giving as good service as P&O, despite serving lots of tables for two.

May I ask which cruise line(s) are you on about, and how many people on the ship(s)

I am only asking out of interest.

We started off cruising with Thomson, and they certainly had large tables.

May I ask which cruise line(s) are you on about, and how many people on the ship(s)

I am only asking out of interest.

We started off cruising with Thomson, and they certainly had large tables.

All ships have large tables. Every dining room photo I have ever seen has large tables even in the grills on Cunard. P&O only have too few tables for two if you want a table for Two. If you want a table for 8 then they have enough. Just because a few people who want a table for two cannot be accommodated does not mean it is wrong.

It is all a matter of opinion, there are no rules. If they were all tables for two it would look like Butlins.

If they were all tables for two it would look like Butlins.

Rather than tables for eight looking like McDonald's?

stop it please and this is silly talk from people we all have to live in harmony and just like eurovision song contest its all about building bridges i love daiB i love insanemagnet i love you both and i wont let you fall out over this we are all great people and when we go on a cruise you see how beautiful the world is i work hard for my cruise and work overtime on saturdays and get cash to spend on my vacation and its up to us the officers the crew the chambermaids to all get along and be friends not fighting over tables for two

your bestie

Edited by laura Bra

Well said laura Bra. We travelled on a coach back from Brittania yesterday and I asked the couple opposite if they'd enjoyed their cruise. The man said he'd never been so glad to get off a ship. I asked why, he said it was too big and the food was terrible. I felt extemely surprised as we'd enjoyed the food. I didn't know what to say so I didn't engage any other conversation with them throughout the journey. They were very ordinary looking people although the lady did not smile at all. Different strokes.....

The quality of the food in the MDR really seems hit and miss. The only visit I made on the first night was awful.

I had a dinner on the balcony from the room service menu one night though, and both the quality and quantity easily exceeded the MDR, or at lease the MDR I suffered.

Edited by PurpleMoonlight

The quality of the food in the MDR really seems hit and miss. The only visit I made on the first night was awful.

I had a dinner on the balcony from the room service menu one night though, and both the quality and quantity easily exceeded the MDR, or at lease the MDR I suffered.

Not too sure why you suffered, all you have to do is ask yours waiter and he/she will get something else. Also if you do not have enough just ask and you will get more. The waiters we have had were very disturbed if someone looked as if they were not liking what they had been given. Sorry but if someone has not had enough to eat then that is their fault.

Not too sure why you suffered, all you have to do is ask yours waiter and he/she will get something else. Also if you do not have enough just ask and you will get more. The waiters we have had were very disturbed if someone looked as if they were not liking what they had been given. Sorry but if someone has not had enough to eat then that is their fault.

Agree - just off Azura and there was never a problem in asking for more if needed, I didn't enjoy my stroganoff one evening ( basically I wasn't actually very hungry and it was slightly over salted) and was immediately asked if I would like something different. As well as dessert we were always offered cheese as well ( although my wardrobe wishes we hadn't been. :D) . I admit the first night was not as good as the rest but I always find the first night a bit disorganised and just put it down to it being "turnaround" day. The waiters we had could not have been more friendly and helpful despite being obviously rushed off their feet. One meal turned up rather Luke warm and was immediately replaced on request. It's not "fine dining" but I don't expect it to be.

Have just been thinking back and on 2 cruises with P&O they have given us tables set for 4 just for the 2 of us rather than keep us waiting too long.

I suppose, if they can be flexible like this then they do actually have more 'tables for 2' than we think ....... just a thought to throw in to the mix.

Have just been thinking back and on 2 cruises with P&O they have given us tables set for 4 just for the 2 of us rather than keep us waiting too long.

I suppose, if they can be flexible like this then they do actually have more 'tables for 2' than we think ....... just a thought to throw in to the mix.

I was put on a table for 8 on thomson, just me :eek:

the Maitre'd apologised, the head waiter served me himself and i got a free bottle of wine

all sorted the next night. :)

I was put on a table for 8 on thomson, just me :eek:

the Maitre'd apologised, the head waiter served me himself and i got a free bottle of wine

all sorted the next night. :)

Had to laugh at this - I bet other cruisers thought you were a VIP and spent half the evening trying to work out who you were. ;)

I agree. A table for six could be used to seat 4 if required. A table for four could be used to seat 2 if necessary. However a table for two is what it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well said Presto2, that is the same tack we use find a table and waiters that we like and then request we get that one each night if possible has always been successful to date. Longest wait for table for two 20 minutes, one evening they gave us a table for six to ourselves to save a wait.

Well said Presto2, that is the same tack we use find a table and waiters that we like and then request we get that one each night if possible has always been successful to date. Longest wait for table for two 20 minutes, one evening they gave us a table for six to ourselves to save a wait.

We'd never tried it before but were so taken with the 2 waiters and quality of service in that area that, after one poor night in another location, we decided to ask for the same one all the time. The Restaurant Manager was more than happy to help. I think it is important to stress though that we asked politely and would like to think when we left the ship we felt like we left friends not staff behind - can't be doing with passengers who treat the staff like something 'beneath' them.

Edited by Presto2

It seems from reading this that quite a lot of people would like a table for 2 rather than sharing. Surely P&O can workout how many people want tables for 2 by their initial booking requests and in Freedom by the amount of people asking for tables for 2 - over a number of cruises they can easily work out an 'average' amount of people per cruise want tables for 2 and then set up accordingly. It won't be completly accurate and some may still not get their preferred table for 2 but it would be better than it is now.

Can't be that difficult.

The waiters we have had were very disturbed .

hi daiB sis, on first day they might look like that think of a rabbit in front of a cars headlights at night it may disturb them but have no pity it is their job to serve you i tell you its their job and if they are disturbed then they should have the doctor check them out do they have to pay for this i dont know do the hired help have free medical on the ships i dont know i dont think so as they dont get it back home i might be wrong i dont think so but me thinks that if you waiter is disturbed just ask for another one its their job to serve you and i work hard for my cruise i dont go on the boat to see disturbed waiters

your bestie

This is the first time I have posted on a forum :) I believe the poster may have overlooked the fact that Ligurian, Baltic and Caribbean tier get to book cruises prior to general booking therefore have first choice of dining time and table size. This may account for the fact that tables for two are already booked first by higher tiers regardless of suite/cabin grade, if there are any tables for two left when the cruise is open to general booking these would be allocated on a first come basis and lets face it on the smaller P&O ships these are limited, on larger ships the tables for two can be too close to your fellow passengers'..On any cruise if you asked for a change to table size or indeed sitting it will not always be possible for the RM to do this immediately he/she needs to see if there are any no shows and the number of passengers who want to change their dinning arrangements and it could be a day or two later..I do not think the RM would not lie to any passenger, what would be the gain..

It seems from reading this that quite a lot of people would like a table for 2 rather than sharing. Surely P&O can workout how many people want tables for 2 by their initial booking requests and in Freedom by the amount of people asking for tables for 2 - over a number of cruises they can easily work out an 'average' amount of people per cruise want tables for 2 and then set up accordingly. It won't be completly accurate and some may still not get their preferred table for 2 but it would be better than it is now.

Can't be that difficult.

I've tried not to enter this debate but am failing ;)

When we eat out at a popular / bar restaurant at home we know that if we turn up at 7.30pm on a Friday evening we are going to have to wait. We get a pager and sit and wait with a drink for our table for 2. Why is it so difficult for people to accept this on a ship? If you're going at a busy time expect to have to wait. If you don't want to wait then work around the busy times.

Re the above post - thinking about Oceana - I think it is fair to say that a lot of the tables for 4,6 and above are a set size in a set area so they would be unable to split them. They could do what they do on Celebrity I suppose and split a table for 4 in to 2 tables for 2 but you then end up sitting 6 inches away from someone else which is hardly what we'd want and defeats the object as sitting so close to someone without chatting is so awkward.

Also, I can't say how they would know how many people to expect any evening as the whole point of freedom dining is that it varies. People change their minds all the time - they're not mind readers.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but if you think P&O is bad, try Celebrity. The last few times we were on there they didn't even have pagers so you were told to 'come back in half an hour'. Quite often we went back and they still weren't ready. Their tables for 2 really were very close to the people next to us. I'm not sure if it is like this now, but believe me, at that time the P&O system was way better.

I'll say it again and then shut up ----- try being nice to the Restaurant Manager and I bet he / she will do everything he / she can to help. They're probably so used to being grumbled, moaned and shouted at (have seen it sadly) that a smiling face and some understanding must be a refreshing change ....

I'll say it again and then shut up ----- try being nice to the Restaurant Manager and I bet he / she will do everything he / she can to help. .

hi sis and you must remember that its their job to do what you want them to do and if they dont just report them and you will get what you want when these people jobs to do what you order them to do remember me works hard to pay for me cruise and dont let hired help ruin your cruise its ther job i tell you its their job report them and they should be fired

your bestie

I've tried not to enter this debate but am failing ;)

When we eat out at a popular / bar restaurant at home we know that if we turn up at 7.30pm on a Friday evening we are going to have to wait. We get a pager and sit and wait with a drink for our table for 2. Why is it so difficult for people to accept this on a ship? If you're going at a busy time expect to have to wait. If you don't want to wait then work around the busy times.

Re the above post - thinking about Oceana - I think it is fair to say that a lot of the tables for 4,6 and above are a set size in a set area so they would be unable to split them. They could do what they do on Celebrity I suppose and split a table for 4 in to 2 tables for 2 but you then end up sitting 6 inches away from someone else which is hardly what we'd want and defeats the object as sitting so close to someone without chatting is so awkward.

Also, I can't say how they would know how many people to expect any evening as the whole point of freedom dining is that it varies. People change their minds all the time - they're not mind readers.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but if you think P&O is bad, try Celebrity. The last few times we were on there they didn't even have pagers so you were told to 'come back in half an hour'. Quite often we went back and they still weren't ready. Their tables for 2 really were very close to the people next to us. I'm not sure if it is like this now, but believe me, at that time the P&O system was way better.

I'll say it again and then shut up ----- try being nice to the Restaurant Manager and I bet he / she will do everything he / she can to help. They're probably so used to being grumbled, moaned and shouted at (have seen it sadly) that a smiling face and some understanding must be a refreshing change ....

And what would you say if you turned up as a couple at your local popular bar / restaurant and asked for a table, but instead of showing you to a table for two, they offered to seat you at a table with six random strangers.

This is the first time I have posted on a forum :) I believe the poster may have overlooked the fact that Ligurian, Baltic and Caribbean tier get to book cruises prior to general booking therefore have first choice of dining time and table size. This may account for the fact that tables for two are already booked first by higher tiers regardless of suite/cabin grade, if there are any tables for two left when the cruise is open to general booking these would be allocated on a first come basis and lets face it on the smaller P&O ships these are limited, on larger ships the tables for two can be too close to your fellow passengers'..On any cruise if you asked for a change to table size or indeed sitting it will not always be possible for the RM to do this immediately he/she needs to see if there are any no shows and the number of passengers who want to change their dinning arrangements and it could be a day or two later..I do not think the RM would lie to any passenger, what would be the gain..

And what would you say if you turned up as a couple at your local popular bar / restaurant and asked for a table, but instead of showing you to a table for two, they offered to seat you at a table with six random strangers.

I'd do what I've done when I'd requested a certain part of the restaurant and they took us to the part we said we didn't want. I'd say something like, "I'm sorry this isn't what we requested" and not take it.

This has happened in the past and they have apologised and then sorted us the table we wanted. I wouldn't, when offered the table we asked for, then refuse it and go home or the pub down the road because they didn't give me what I asked for originally.

Anyway, I don't want to get into an argument or offend people. I suppose we should all remember that some things we find annoying others don't and vice versa. The Freedom Dining system and tables for 2 isn't one of the things that winds us up ... its an excuse for an extra cocktail while we wait.

Now I could tell you the things that wind me up --- but that's another thread and you can tell me to 'chill out'.

Edited by Presto2

This is the first time I have posted on a forum :) I believe the poster may have overlooked the fact that Ligurian, Baltic and Caribbean tier get to book cruises prior to general booking therefore have first choice of dining time and table size. This may account for the fact that tables for two are already booked first by higher tiers regardless of suite/cabin grade, if there are any tables for two left when the cruise is open to general booking these would be allocated on a first come basis and lets face it on the smaller P&O ships these are limited, on larger ships the tables for two can be too close to your fellow passengers'..On any cruise if you asked for a change to table size or indeed sitting it will not always be possible for the RM to do this immediately he/she needs to see if there are any no shows and the number of passengers who want to change their dinning arrangements and it could be a day or two later..I do not think the RM would lie to any passenger, what would be the gain..

Hi Nightwoman and welcome to CC. Just to say totally agree. We book our cruise about 16 months in advance and still don't expect any requests to be given to us as a done deal as there is no saying how many others have requested the same before us. :)

Yes, we retreated to the balcony a few times and found the room service food much better than the MDR.

David.

Would that it was so simple. Not enough is never a problem with me and I always ask for a small portion and sometimes get it. True the waiters are always concerned if you don't clear your plate, reminding me of Matron, but who wants to hold up the rest of the table while a replacement is found and have them watch me eat when they just want to finish and get to the theatre? So I just say don't worry I'm fine. And really it's not the waiters fault, it's the galley.

David.