Table for two sir?

Well, each to his own, as they say! My husband and I don't like being tied down to set meal-times and also prefer to keep to our own company over dinner. We eat out at least once a week and as my husband says, we wouldn't imagine having to share a table with strangers when we dine out in an a la carte restaurant in our own town (despite it being a popular tourist area), so why would we want to have to share a table with total strangers when we go on a cruise? And as other posters have commented above, you have to sit down at the same time and eat at the same pace or you will upset the rest of the table. If we were to meet some people during the course of the cruise, with whom we felt we would enjoy spending an evening, then we could easily request for a table for 4 at the hour of our choosing, when we go down to dinner in the freedom dining room. Communal dining reminds me of school dinners, regardless of the dressing up involved.

That isn't necessarily the case.

On Oriana one couple on my table for six was consistently at least ten minutes late to the table, they then always had the soup course which nobody else did, so more often than not everyone else had been sat at the table for over an hour before the main course arrived.

But as you prefer club dining this hardly matters since the waiters try to ensure that all the tables are served the same course at about the same time and they all then finish at similar times, or at least that used to be the case when we did club dining.

But as you prefer club dining this hardly matters since the waiters try to ensure that all the tables are served the same course at about the same time and they all then finish at similar times, or at least that used to be the case when we did club dining.

Yes they did, and that was part of the problem.

:(

Easy solution then - campers are indeed divided, so......

Two table people continue to ask for tables for two and the multi table people continue to ask for shared tables.

No problem. Everybody happy :)

Edited by Scriv

Because the group tables would only be full of 'group table' people, and not diluted by non-group table people. The result would be that nobody would want to risk getting stuck on a group table, and so they would cease to exist and people would moan.

Because the group tables would only be full of 'group table' people, and not diluted by non-group table people. The result would be that nobody would want to risk getting stuck on a group table, and so they would cease to exist and people would moan.

Huh?

You think people who want a group table only do so to dine with people who don't want a group table?

As this thread has shown, both group tables and tables for two are in demand. P&O likely provide sufficient tables to satisfy the former, but definitely not enough to satisfy the latter.

Huh?

You think people who want a group table only do so to dine with people who don't want a group table?

As this thread has shown, both group tables and tables for two are in demand. P&O likely provide sufficient tables to satisfy the former, but definitely not enough to satisfy the latter.

On freedom dining I have never known P&O to refuse to take an order for a table for 2 and give you a pager. Therefore the answer is simple opt for freedom, and be prepared to wait for a table, and factor in having more than one pre dinner drink.

On freedom dining I have never known P&O to refuse to take an order for a table for 2 and give you a pager. Therefore the answer is simple opt for freedom, and be prepared to wait for a table, and factor in having more than one pre dinner drink.

That's fine if you are flexible in your time of dining, but many people aren't. And given that the evening entertainment is time fixed a delay in your dining time could mean missing the desired entertainment.

Edited by PurpleMoonlight

Huh?

So why do P&O refuse to provide enough tables for two? Bloody mindedness?

So why do P&O refuse to provide enough tables for two? Bloody mindedness?

Probably because you need more wait staff to service 2 tops rather than bigger tables.

Maybe the answer is for those wanting a 2 top to pay a higher cruise fare?

For the last umpteen cruises we have booked freedom dining and have always (bar the very odd occasion) had a table for two when requested. Only once have we been given a pager and that was for a 20 minute wait which was in fact a 10 minute wait. We dine between 6:30 and 7 pm and if we want are always in time for the 8:30 show.

My view is that if they had sufficient tables for two, the group tables would disappear overnight.

Whilst queuing to enter the restaurant, when asked what sort of table they wanted, most couples seemed to ask for a table for two, and only agreed to a group table when they were told there would be a wait.

If everyone of those couples had been provided with a table for two straightaway, then there would be few people to sit at the group tables, and likely insufficient to make their operation practical.

If everyone of those couples had been provided with a table for two straightaway, then there would be few people to sit at the group tables, and likely insufficient to make their operation practical.

And there I think you have the problem. If they were all tables for 2, you would need more space and more staff.

Waiters are not stood around waiting to clear the last on a table for 8, they are serving one of their other tables.

We know that bigger is cheaper, and if P and O had smaller tables they would have to employ more staff. Prices for the cruise would go up.

If you go on one of the 6* lines I am sure they have lots of tables for 2 and in the Grills on Cunard, but you are not paying P and O prices to sail on them.

We will continue to ask/request tables for 2 in the MDR on club dining, but if that is not possible we would request a table for 8.

If all else fails I would request freedom dining.

I would eat in select once/twice during the cruise, not every night.

We always do Freedom Dining and P&O's system with a pager suits us fine.

We tend to go down about 7.30pm - 8pm and expect to wait. We always ask for a table for 2 and last time we asked for specific areas / tables and waiters because they were so good. The most we waited was 20 minutes and enjoyed our cocktails as we waited to be buzzed! By the end of the week we had a great relationship with the Restaurant Manager who did his best to give us the table we wanted. All it takes is treating people with respect as human beings and not as machines....

After all the huffing and puffing the crux of the matter that started this thread off is that PurpleMoonlight expected or assumed that they would have some sort of priority with their dining request. As they have discovered, that doesn't happen with P&O, rightly or wrongly.

The fact is that their expectations should have been more accurate had they read and understood the booking conditions. At least then they would have know they don't get priority by booking a suite, they just get a nicer room.

Food's very subjective, so the OP may still have found the food poor, but at least they wouldn't have made a fuss about not getting a table for two. We've gone for flexible dining, and we'll be asking for a table for two most nights, even if we have to wait. We understand that, and while we'd prefer that everyone could have exactly what they want without delay, that's never going to be practical on a mass market line at mass market prices.

And there I think you have the problem. If they were all tables for 2, you would need more space and more staff.

Waiters are not stood around waiting to clear the last on a table for 8, they are serving one of their other tables.

We know that bigger is cheaper, and if P and O had smaller tables they would have to employ more staff. Prices for the cruise would go up.

If you go on one of the 6* lines I am sure they have lots of tables for 2 and in the Grills on Cunard, but you are not paying P and O prices to sail on them.

We will continue to ask/request tables for 2 in the MDR on club dining, but if that is not possible we would request a table for 8.

If all else fails I would request freedom dining.

I would eat in select once/twice during the cruise, not every night.

Wrong, just plain wrong.

You can travel on the bargain basement lines which have no group tables and they have no problem giving as good service as P&O, despite serving lots of tables for two.