Table for two sir?

I'd do what I've done when I'd requested a certain part of the restaurant and they took us to the part we said we didn't want. I'd say something like, "I'm sorry this isn't what we requested" and not take it.

This has happened in the past and they have apologised and then sorted us the table we wanted. I wouldn't, when offered the table we asked for, then refuse it and go home or the pub down the road because they didn't give me what I asked for originally.

Anyway, I don't want to get into an argument or offend people. I suppose we should all remember that some things we find annoying others don't and vice versa. The Freedom Dining system and tables for 2 isn't one of the things that winds us up ... its an excuse for an extra cocktail while we wait.

Now I could tell you the things that wind me up --- but that's another thread and you can tell me to 'chill out'.

My point was that it would be inconceivable that you would be asked to share a table for dinner with six strangers in a restaurant on land, and if the restaurant suggested it, most people would strain to be polite in their response.

So why is such poor behaviour from a restaurant at sea acceptable.

I have read this thread with interest and it's clear that passengers have different preferences and that we all would like to think that we can choose a dining option which suits us. Some prefer dining on larger tables, some on a table for two - and surely those preferences are as valid as any other we may have regarding other aspects of cruising such as whether or not we like to go to shows, take ships excursions or DiY, prefer more sea days etc, etc. It shouldn't draw flak from those who have opposing views or, worse, snide generalisations about them as people.

We know that there are constraints based on what P&O can do depending on supply and demand in respect of different table sizes. Interesting that there is a move to more freedom dining and in my experience it's nearly all the tables for two which are filled first (albeit they are very close together). There must be a big demand and despite the changes there appear still to be those who are unable to get their choice especially if they want fixed dining.

I also understand that first come first served will come into play and if the limited number of tables for two are gone when you book then you're not going to get what you want - unless you opt for freedom dining, in which case you may especially if you're prepared to wait.

But I think part of the problem (ignoring the stateroom category issue) is that in advertising Select Fares choice of cabin and eating preference is the hook to get you to pay the higher fare. Whilst you will get to choose your cabin, there is no guarantee for dining options. No doubt this is covered in the small print and understood by many not to be a given. But I think perhaps having booked early, although not perhaps in the first tranche, and paid the enhanced fare, passengers may feel hard done by if they don't get their dining choice. OK no one promised they would - but it may be part of what contributes to the disappointment - and 'complaint'.

I think there is an element of P&O raising expectations in their sales promotion which, for some people, they are unable to deliver and in that respect I do have some sympathy for those caught out by this.

Edited by kruzseeka

My point was that it would be inconceivable that you would be asked to share a table for dinner with six strangers in a restaurant on land, and if the restaurant suggested it, most people would strain to be polite in their response.

Maybe because it is one of the "traditions" that goes back squillions of years.

Same as the dress code. Most people do not dress in the sort of clothes you wear on a formal night ,to go out for a meal on land.

This thread does seem to have wandered rather a long way, from the original OP who felt that having booked a suite late in the day felt they were entitled to have their dining request met, over and above someone who had booked maybe a year in advance, in an inside cabin.

If you never want to share what is wrong with always requesting freedom dining. Enough people have posted that having done that and got a table they liked to always have the same table every evening, to know that is possible.

Maybe because it is one of the "traditions" that goes back squillions of years.

Same as the dress code. Most people do not dress in the sort of clothes you wear on a formal night ,to go out for a meal on land.

This thread does seem to have wandered rather a long way, from the original OP who felt that having booked a suite late in the day felt they were entitled to have their dining request met, over and above someone who had booked maybe a year in advance, in an inside cabin.

If you never want to share what is wrong with always requesting freedom dining. Enough people have posted that having done that and got a table they liked to always have the same table every evening, to know that is possible.

We invariably request freedom dining so that we can get a table for 2 but we have never tried to request a particular table for every evening. I feel that it is wrong that a table for 2 is reserved in freedom dining because it means that someone who adheres to the principle of arriving when they are ready to eat and then requesting a table size that they prefer may well have to take a pager or share a table. What is wrong with going to the MDR when you are ready to eat and then requesting your preferred table, which may or may not be available ? I hope that these people who are requesting the same table for every evening are guaranteeing that they will eat in the MDR every evening or are telling the Matre d' if they are not going to go to the MDR on a particular evening.

It has but it's been useful I feel. It seems obvious that more people want a table for two but P&O are unwilling to provide it.

Yes you are correct, for the price I was paying for the cruise I did expect to be allocated the table for two I requested on booking, but I also accepted that I did not and did not make any complaint on board about it.

Yes in a normal restaurant perhaps it would seem odd. But having over 40 years been to many, many ladies dinner nights both in the army and the masons and I can tell you there are no tables for 2 you are normally seated with some people you know if requested but there are often strangers on the tables that are new to the mess or the lodge.

Also if you go on coach holidays you are also seated on tables with strangers who by the end of the holiday are no longer strangers.

We invariably request freedom dining so that we can get a table for 2 but we have never tried to request a particular table for every evening. I feel that it is wrong that a table for 2 is reserved in freedom dining because it means that someone who adheres to the principle of arriving when they are ready to eat and then requesting a table size that they prefer may well have to take a pager or share a table. What is wrong with going to the MDR when you are ready to eat and then requesting your preferred table, which may or may not be available ? I hope that these people who are requesting the same table for every evening are guaranteeing that they will eat in the MDR every evening or are telling the Matre d' if they are not going to go to the MDR on a particular evening.

This sort of of practise should be stamped on, hard, from a very high level. Freedom dining is Freedom dining. If I turn up at the dining room and am told a table is not available because some are being 'reserved' for 'favoured' customers i would be less than happy. I presume these 'favoured' cruisers are the ones the Maitre'D and waiters hope will tip handsomely or have already proffered a bribe.

how would i know a table was in fact available? On another cruise line I could see the table for 4, it was empty, 2 couples in front of me were turned away and a couple of minutes later 2 couples strolled up and were seated immediately, the waiters were all over them like a rash. :(

If you want Freedom dining and the same table, go Grills on Cunard.

Yes in a normal restaurant perhaps it would seem odd. But having over 40 years been to many, many ladies dinner nights both in the army and the masons and I can tell you there are no tables for 2 you are normally seated with some people you know if requested but there are often strangers on the tables that are new to the mess or the lodge.

Also if you go on coach holidays you are also seated on tables with strangers who by the end of the holiday are no longer strangers.

I am not sure that P&O would want to be compared to a bus trip, but hope to be aiming a little higher.

I am not sure that P&O would want to be compared to a bus trip, but hope to be aiming a little higher.

I was not comparing just saying it isn't only on cruises. But having said that the bus tours we have been on (Titan for example) are much more expensive than most cruises so not sure what you are implying.

Please don't have a go at us for something we didn't and would never consider doing.

We didn't reserve the table we simply requested it when we arrived each evening when we turned up. Quite often we got there around 7.30pm and were told that if we wanted a table it would be about 15/20 minutes, but if it was a specific table we would have to wait longer which actually meant, in effect, that people who got there after us could have gone in before us. Towards the end of the cruise we chose to wait for the table if it was practical. Once we got there about 8ish and were told that we couldn't have it as someone had just taken it and we'd be waiting until the restaurant closed.:) We ate at that table 4 times - 3 times we couldn't and didn't.

(I hope this makes sense;))

I think I'm right in saying that on Celebrity you can reserve specific tables in the Freedom Dining areas which, I agree, seems to defeat the object.

Edited by Presto2

This sort of of practise should be stamped on, hard, from a very high level. Freedom dining is Freedom dining. If I turn up at the dining room and am told a table is not available because some are being 'reserved' for 'favoured' customers i would be less than happy. I presume these 'favoured' cruisers are the ones the Maitre'D and waiters hope will tip handsomely or have already proffered a bribe.

how would i know a table was in fact available? On another cruise line I could see the table for 4, it was empty, 2 couples in front of me were turned away and a couple of minutes later 2 couples strolled up and were seated immediately, the waiters were all over them like a rash. :(

If you want Freedom dining and the same table, go Grills on Cunard.

This isn't what we meant - see my post above.

I have seen what you have seen above on Celebrity where they can reserve a table the day before for a specific time even in Freedom Dining restaurants... well they could 2 years ago.

Being one of those who try to get the same table each evening, I can assure you the table is not reserved, We do not normally sit at a table for two but we do not like the larger tables as I have a problem with my hearing.I request a table in one of the alcoves or near to a wall. On previous cruises we have enjoyed the service from certain waiters and therefore request a table in their sector, if when entering the MDR my request cannot be met at that time I am prepared to wait until my request can be met, and yes I always let the Maitre D know if I will not be using the MDR the following evening, and NO I don't bribe or tip the Maitre D to meet my request. I make my request politely with my explanation regarding my hearing problem and have found the Maitre ads to be more than happy to try and meet my request.

Since I started cruising in 2005 I have found that Politeness to staff brings far more consideration than throwing money about.

Since I started cruising in 2005 I have found that Politeness to staff brings far more consideration than throwing money about.

Hallelujah - thank you, thank you, thank you - we couldn't agree more. :D:D.

I wasn't going to put my head above the parapet on this one, but the temptation was too strong. As it is a Bank Holiday am going to duck down again........ the gardening calls.

I would suggest for all the people who like tables for 2, you never ever book a river cruise.

Their prices turn your hair grey.

We have done one, probably our last.

Dining was not freedom or 2 set times , it was all at the same time, and you had to appear at that time.

Forget tables for 2, there were large tables in the middle, and padded bench seats (forget what they are called) down the sides.

You were all served at the same time. If your waiter was not brilliant ,you were just sat there watching everyone else being served.

Low ceilings meant the noise was very loud. We stopped sitting on the large tables for just that reason, went for one of the side ones in the end.

All finish, then upstairs for coffee.

The cruise itself was very good, but the dining arrangements were not to our liking, so probably no more river cruising. We were with Avalon.

This is the first time I have posted on a forum :) ..

welcome to cruise critic NightWoman.

Its a great forum, a great place to ask questions and the best part is the nice people like myself, whom are only too happy to share our cruising knowledge and experience with everybody.

When posting on a public forum, its important to note that it is an exchange of views, an exchange of opions and there are some, thanksfully in a minority, whom takes it too far.

As one can see, the majority of us are fine and caring and helpful.

Welcome along to CC and continue to post opinions, continue to ask questions, and its always so nice to see new people posting here.

I am just back from a country house hotel break, which was lovely and enjoyable and it struck me reading some comments here, how much undervalued the waiters the cabin stewards are on a cruise.

They are brill, they are so nice and helpful and friendly. So what if they keep a table for two if an old man is hard of hearing, or if they reserve tables for people by the front door, people with disabilities whom may or may not arrive for dinner at peak times.

The thing is, they DO have a plan B, and if that means waiting at peak times, then so be it.

Cruising is a brilliant vacation, the staff are fantastic and to see the moaning and grumbling on here, it is sad.

I am often asked for my advice from the many posters on this forum. Its always a pleasure to respond and at no time have I ever excluded anyone from the conversation. Each person and each persons opinions are important, but its always important to remember that I have much experience in these things and am available to help.

Please don't have a go at us for something we didn't and would never consider doing.

We didn't reserve the table we simply requested it when we arrived each evening when we turned up. Quite often we got there around 7.30pm and were told that if we wanted a table it would be about 15/20 minutes, but if it was a specific table we would have to wait longer which actually meant, in effect, that people who got there after us could have gone in before us. Towards the end of the cruise we chose to wait for the table if it was practical. Once we got there about 8ish and were told that we couldn't have it as someone had just taken it and we'd be waiting until the restaurant closed.:) We ate at that table 4 times - 3 times we couldn't and didn't.

(I hope this makes sense;))

I think I'm right in saying that on Celebrity you can reserve specific tables in the Freedom Dining areas which, I agree, seems to defeat the object.

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought that you meant that you had managed to reserve your preferred table.

I was not comparing just saying it isn't only on cruises. But having said that the bus tours we have been on (Titan for example) are much more expensive than most cruises so not sure what you are implying.

So a similar type of audience to those who like group tables, and not the audience that P&O us currently advertising itself to.

The only times I have come across group tables are -

- School dinners

- Yacht cruises

- Solo travellers tables, who *chose* them

- Weddings and other formal events

- McDonald's

It us never something you would expect in a paying restaurant, and it is clear that P&O understand this as none of the surcharge restaurants have group tables.

If P&O continues to advertise itself to a modern audience, then it should expect that audience to demand that things are dealt with in a modern way, and not the old fashioned 'that's the way it always has been' way.

It us never something you would expect in a paying restaurant, and it is clear that P&O understand this as none of the surcharge restaurants have group tables.

Head and nail.

The select dining would be far less subscribed if everyone who requested a table for two in the MDR received it, and P&O are intent on trying to relieve passengers of more money on board not less.

Some people are sociable and enjoy mixing and meeting new people. Nothing wrong with group tables if you're a sociable person. We're a sociable couple, but are quite happy if it's just the two of us too! You know the score with the group tables. If you don't like it, then that's fine, but no point moaning about it, when you know that that is how it works!

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought that you meant that you had managed to reserve your preferred table.

Hi Josy1953 - thanks for the apology. I didn't want people to blame P&O for something that isn't happening.... they have enough problems with the things that are at times ;)

My view is that if they had sufficient tables for two, the group tables would disappear overnight.

Whilst queuing to enter the restaurant, when asked what sort of table they wanted, most couples seemed to ask for a table for two, and only agreed to a group table when they were told there would be a wait.

If everyone of those couples had been provided with a table for two straightaway, then there would be few people to sit at the group tables, and likely insufficient to make their operation practical.

Not everyone travels as a couple so I think that will rather confound your idea that if P&O had sufficient tables for two, group tables would disappear.

Imho, I think people seem to forget that ships are in fact not hotels. Most hotels will have more room to accommodate a higher number of tables for two and in hotels, guests have the option of dining out. I am spectacularly poor at maths and physics but my brain still tells me that that if you are 'feeding' 1000 people in a sitting, if you put them all on tables that only take 2 people you are going to need more room and probably more staff.

I fully respect people who prefer a table for two but there are still a lot of us around who like the cruising tradition of getting to know a small group of fellow pax around a large table.

Edited by Britboys
typo

P&O would disagree with you, as they have a Hotel General Manager on board.

hi sis i have met with hotel manager on ship and he was nice and we complained that service in mdr was no good and table was no good and mdr manager was no good so i went to reception spoke with secetary and she made meeting and we had chat and i got what i wanted so complain i tell you complain these people who do bad jobs and you will get what you paid for

your bud

P&O would disagree with you, as they have a Hotel General Manager on board.

Cruise lines in general would disagree - they do generally refer to the passenger side of things as the hotel operation or hotel department.

But culturally they are quite different from hotels.

When we booked our first cruise we were advised to request a table for 8. I think it was good advice. But then maybe we've just been lucky with the dinining companions we've encountered so far. We've had just one 'bad' table - and we simply asked to be moved after the first night.

Edited by Dryce

But culturally they are quite different from hotels.

I disagree.

P&O is like that old fashioned British seaside hotel, where you do things their way, because that is the way it has always been done, and tough if you don't like it.

Other cruise lines operate like modern hotels and understand what their customers want and aim to provide it.