Worth upgrading to Balcony?

Newbcruiser1

This is a cross-post with the Celebrity board - I have a feeling I might get different answers from the Alaska pros! :)

So a few days ago I asked whether the experts would recommend upgrading our inside cabin to an ocean view guarantee for our upcoming Millennium cruise to Alaska - the general opinion seemed to be to stay put and watch the balcony pricing.

Final payment date has now come and gone, and several cabins have opened up as expected. I was just playing around on the Celebrity site and found that they would allow us to book a Family Veranda cabin for 2. Room 7201 is available which is an aft balcony. The room is huge at 270 square feet and the balcony is huge with loungers, a dining table, and regular chairs.

Our itinerary has 2 sea days (inside passage and Hubbard Glacier), and we will be back onboard by 2pm on each of those days. So theoretically we would have time to spend out there. How much time would we actually spend there? I can't say for sure. Maybe room service breakfast twice? An afternoon snack? Checking out the scenery in the morning and at bedtime? The room divider would also be an advantage as we are just 2 friends cruising together, and it would give us some more privacy.

So the dilemma - it would cost an extra $1370CAD per person! We only paid $639pp for our inside room, so this would almost triple the cost that we paid. I was trying to stick to a budget and this puts us way over, but it also seems "too good to pass up" in a way.

Any thoughts/opinions?

Thanks in advance! :)

Get the balcony

• for private space to view the glaciers. The upper decks are so busy during glacier viewing.
  • want fresh air
  • want to chat with neighbors
  • when an oceanview window is not big enough

Skip the balcony

• if you feel it's too hot, cold or windy
  • want to save money. On my second trip... I went with a large oceanview room. It's like a climate controlled balcony. I like Oceanview rooms now.

Get the balcony

• for private space to view the glaciers. The upper decks are so busy during glacier viewing.
  • want fresh air
  • want to chat with neighbors
  • when an oceanview window is not big enough

Skip the balcony

• if you feel it's too hot, cold or windy
  • want to save money. On my second trip... I went with a large oceanview room. It's like a climate controlled balcony. I like Oceanview rooms now.

Thanks for your reply!

I should add that the appeal with this cabin I think, is its size and divider in the middle creating 2 separate spaces. I am traveling with a friend and the privacy would be nice rather than sleeping a foot away from one another.

Unfortunately there don't seem to be any large OV rooms available on our sailing (or at all on the Millennium?) - just the standard 170 square foot rooms, which will give us the same space and privacy situation we have with our inside room now, and a less desirable location.

Personally, I would not spend that much more on a balcony. I'd spend it on some great excursions instead!

We usually get inside cabins. The only reason we splurged on a balcony this year is that they dipped in price enough to put them within a reasonable range and my husband has been working a lot of overtime lately so we are spending some of his overtime pay for an extra treat. Next year, I suspect we will be back to an inside so I can splurge on helicopter/dogsledding, which has been on my bucket list for years.

I can only tell you by what my Grandmother told me ( and why we booked the balcony ) as I haven't gone yet ( next weeeeek!!! ) but...she said it was VERY VERY cold in glacier bay and packed out on the decks. At times you couldn't get as good of a view on deck and didn't want to stay out long because of how cold it was. She said when they got a balcony, they could sit out on the balcony with sweaters and blankets-drink hot choc/coffee and have amazing- personal views. And when they needed a bathroom or to get warm for a moment- they went in and went right back out without the walk or hassle.

We did Alaska in September (end of season) and didn't find it all that cold.

I seldom get anything other than an inside cabin, but of course, I don't use the balcony even when we have one, so perhaps I'm just a different type of cruiser.

I didn't mind going up on deck when we visited glaciers. I'm not sure about Celebrity, but some lines have a naturalist on board in Alaska, and it's easier to listen to him/her if you're not in your cabin. As for the crowds, often there are a couple areas where not that many people go - typically in the back of the ship, way up top. That's also usually a more sheltered area, too, so don't feel you HAVE to be in the front of the ship for the best views. You just have to wait a little longer for them at the back!

Personally, I would stick with what you have, and as someone else suggested, spend the money you save by taking some nice excursions. The helicopter and floatplane rides are wonderful!

Edited by roothy123

I can only tell you by what my Grandmother told me ( and why we booked the balcony ) as I haven't gone yet ( next weeeeek!!! ) but...she said it was VERY VERY cold in glacier bay and packed out on the decks. At times you couldn't get as good of a view on deck and didn't want to stay out long because of how cold it was. She said when they got a balcony, they could sit out on the balcony with sweaters and blankets-drink hot choc/coffee and have amazing- personal views. And when they needed a bathroom or to get warm for a moment- they went in and went right back out without the walk or hassle.

They are going to Hubbard Glacier and most of the time sailing in to see the glacier it is directly in front of the ship so the aft balcony would not be an advantage there. We had balconies on our first 2 times to AK and seldom used them. The one exception was sailing into Tracy Arm when it was raining. We could have easily seen the same views on the promenade deck. Since then we have booked an OV and haven't regretted it at all. At half the cost of a balcony, we had more money for excursions or we just saved a lot of $$$.

The balcony debate is never ending. Some people wouldn't cruise without one and others feel that the public viewing areas offer 360 viewing at no extra cost.

Will a balcony bring you an additional $1370 worth of enjoyment? Conversely if the weather is cold, wet, windy and you don't get any use of the balcony will be disappointed that you wasted so much money?

<< it also seems "too good to pass up" >>

Bottom line ... good deal or not, can you afford it? Don't get talked into a good deal because it seems too good to pass up. If money is no object, enjoy !

They are going to Hubbard Glacier and most of the time sailing in to see the glacier it is directly in front of the ship so the aft balcony would not be an advantage there. We had balconies on our first 2 times to AK and seldom used them. The one exception was sailing into Tracy Arm when it was raining. We could have easily seen the same views on the promenade deck. Since then we have booked an OV and haven't regretted it at all. At half the cost of a balcony, we had more money for excursions or we just saved a lot of $$$.

Except the same amount of time is spent sailing away from the Glacier, at which time an aft balcony would be beneficial...

I'm in the camp of those who don't think a balcony is worth it in Alaska. We enjoyed getting upgraded to a cabin that had a balcony without furniture on our last cruise to Alaska (Sapphire Princess), but I would have had a great time in an obstructed view cabin as well. I wouldn't want to pay that much more--especially since you could use the money to pay for excursions, tips, souvenirs, drinks, etc.

Hi,

Last year was our first time to finally do the Alaska cruise. We at first booked an inside room because we thought the same as others, Save money for excursions etc.... But my wife got a call from princess to upgrade us to a balcony for $400 more and it was the best thing to ice cream on a hot summers day!!!!! It was so nice to just wake up at 4am in the morning and step outside and watch the beautiful scenery every day!!!AMAZING!!!!!!:D

The convenience to use your own bathroom or warm up is right there as my wife and friend did. I would HIGHLY recommend that anyone especially on your first cruise up to Alaska get a balcony if you can afford it!! I'm going on the Star princess this Saturday to relive the cruise we did last year!!!!! We have been on over 30 cruises and this by far is the most amazing, beautiful, and spectacular place I have been. BALCONY all the way!!! Enjoy it!! I know I'm going to very soon. God bless!!!!:D

Mike

My first cruise is coming up next month, for Alaska. We splurged on a balconey.

People have told me that I wouldn't be in my room much....while that may be true, my husband and I decided that it was worth the price since we don't foresee doing this trip again.

I've had a couple people tell me that for Alaska, they would do the balcony, hands down

Thanks everyone for your opinions!

I think we've decided to forego the balcony... For now, anyway! We just can't justify the extra $2700 for it, even with the huge room size! I will keep my eye out for cheaper balconies and hope for the best! If all else fails, we'll make the best of our inside room! :)

We already splurged on excursions - Misty fjords float plane in Ketchikan, train in Skagway, whale watching in Icy Strait Point, and a Kenai Fjords cruise and the wildlife centre in Seward... So I have no doubt we'll have a great time regardless of what kind of room we're staying in!

I think we've decided to forego the balcony... For now, anyway! We just can't justify the extra $2700 for it, even with the huge room size! I will keep my eye out for cheaper balconies and hope for the best! If all else fails, we'll make the best of our inside room! :)

We already splurged on excursions - Misty fjords float plane in Ketchikan, train in Skagway, whale watching in Icy Strait Point, and a Kenai Fjords cruise and the wildlife centre in Seward... So I have no doubt we'll have a great time regardless of what kind of room we're staying in!

You did the right thing. That is a lot of money.

You made some great selections for your excursions. Have a great time! And just think what the 2 of you can do with that extra $2700.

Hi,

Last year was our first time to finally do the Alaska cruise. We at first booked an inside room because we thought the same as others, Save money for excursions etc.... But my wife got a call from princess to upgrade us to a balcony for $400 more and it was the best thing to ice cream on a hot summers day!!!!! It was so nice to just wake up at 4am in the morning and step outside and watch the beautiful scenery every day!!!AMAZING!!!!!!:D

The convenience to use your own bathroom or warm up is right there as my wife and friend did. I would HIGHLY recommend that anyone especially on your first cruise up to Alaska get a balcony if you can afford it!! I'm going on the Star princess this Saturday to relive the cruise we did last year!!!!! We have been on over 30 cruises and this by far is the most amazing, beautiful, and spectacular place I have been. BALCONY all the way!!! Enjoy it!! I know I'm going to very soon. God bless!!!!:D

Mike

Have a wonderful cruise. We are booked on the Star to Alaska for next year. We also booked an inside with the hopes of upgrading at some point. Can you tell me when Princess notified your wife about an upgrade? Looking for timing on price drops.

Value is very personal!

I've sailed balcony, inside shared for four, mini-suite. In Alaska I've found the best views on deck. Yes it can be crowded at the beginning but most lost the novelty and you'll soon have plenty of viewing space someplace. We found the open air refreshing. As others have posted, a lot has to do with how you like to travel, part of the crowd, or in privacy of your own balcony.

At this stage in my life I would spring for a suite, but not an aft. Somehow thinking the only viewing will be when you are sailing away ;) Thinking you'd get more and better viewing for either a port/starboard cabin.

I think you made a wise decision. There's a huge difference between upgrading for $2,700 and upgrading for $400. I think DH could talk me into upgrading to a balcony for $400 (although I did not let him talk me into upgrading to a suite for that amount for a 3-day cruise).

Another update!!!

I just found one of the "new" ocean view rooms on deck 3 which is larger and has the huge window for a great price with our captains club upgrade - so we jumped on that deal! It was $210 per person to upgrade from our deck 3 inside. The layout of the room is like that of a balcony, and the window is so huge that we can stand at it looking out and pretend like we're ON a balcony (minus the cool air and wind).

I'm very happy now - we'll be able to see the beautiful scenery - and know if we should be running out on deck to see what we're missing! :)

Thanks again for all of your advice and opinions! I will report back with how we liked the room!

Another update!!!

I just found one of the "new" ocean view rooms on deck 3 which is larger and has the huge window for a great price with our captains club upgrade - so we jumped on that deal! It was $210 per person to upgrade from our deck 3 inside. The layout of the room is like that of a balcony, and the window is so huge that we can stand at it looking out and pretend like we're ON a balcony (minus the cool air and wind).

I'm very happy now - we'll be able to see the beautiful scenery - and know if we should be running out on deck to see what we're missing! :)

Thanks again for all of your advice and opinions! I will report back with how we liked the room!

Now that was an offer worth taking! I know that you will enjoy your OV cabin AND having more than $1000 to play with.

Sounds like a great compromise to me! Also, some cruise ships have a camera on the front (bow) of the ship and you can see the view (although somewhat foggy sometimes!) on the TV. That helps me when I cruise in an inside cabin and/or want to know what's happening ahead of the ship!

We spent so much time in our room watching the scenery because we had a balcony. There were very few public areas that were inside to watch from. I also had a Captain's Club deal that made the price about the same for the concierge level room as an Oceanview. I wouldn't pay for a balcony in the Caribbean though.

Edited by Kristalght