Is there a curfew on board?

12Mermaids

Hello, everyone!

I am very excited to be taking my first cruise (on Crystal) in August. When reading user reviews, I came across one that indicated everyone had to be inside at 6:00 p.m.

Is this normal? Are deck hours limited? I know that all venues do not close that early.

This is probably a dumb question, but I wanted to check. I tried searching the forum, but all results with the word "curfew" seemed to relate to sailing with children or teenagers.

Thank you, in advance, for any assistance you can provide.

The only "curfew" for adults on cruise ships I have ever heard of was in pirate territory (east coast of Africa near the Arabian Sea and Red Sea). We were not allowed outside on public decks or balconies after dark.

Edited by Scrapnana

Hello, everyone!

I am very excited to be taking my first cruise (on Crystal) in August. When reading user reviews, I came across one that indicated everyone had to be inside at 6:00 p.m.

Is this normal? Are deck hours limited? I know that all venues do not close that early.

This is probably a dumb question, but I wanted to check. I tried searching the forum, but all results with the word "curfew" seemed to relate to sailing with children or teenagers.

Maybe you should ask on the Crystal board. Add which ship/itinerary too.

Also check on the Crystal website. Many of the cruise line websites have a FAQ section.

The only "curfew" for adults on cruise ships I have ever heard of was in pirate territory (east coast of Africa near the Arabian Sea and Red Sea). We were not allowed outside on public decks or balconies after dark.

You cruised through a pirate territory? How extreme.

Can't speak to Pirate regions but no, there is no curfew, not even for children.

Perhaps you read about a boarding time or a specific time that something was closed? What exactly did the review say?

I've seen some reviews which will reference early curfew as tongue-in-cheek in regards to the numbers of elderly who turn in early.

Enjoy your cruise. Crystal was one of my dh's first cruises, it started his love of cruising. :)

We have been thru the pirate area four times. As Scrapnana said we were not allowed on the open decks after sundown.

We also had a pirate drill each of those cruises as we were approaching the area.

Generally, no curfew for ADULTS....on most lines, there is a curfew for kids, unless they're with their parents.

You do have to be on the ship 30 mins. prior to sailaway from any port....understandably!

Hello, everyone!

I think you may have misread something. There is no curfew on Crystal. The only time constraint they put on passengers is when you have to be back on board the ship when sailing from a port. When you first embark your cruise, you have to be checked in and on board by the stated time, and when you're stopped in a port, you will be told a time when you have to be back on board the ship before it sails.

We have been thru the pirate area four times. As Scrapnana said we were not allowed on the open decks after sundown.

We also had a pirate drill each of those cruises as we were approaching the area.

Paul, what was that drill called? Thinking "Safe Haven" and they brought in extra armed guards while in the pirate area. Also, all cabin drapes had to be closed after sunset.

Note to OP: As Paul will confirm .... This is NOT a normal thing on almost all other itineraries so don't worry about it. :)

LuLu

Hello, everyone!

If you are off the ship, you must be back by certain time that will be indicated on the daily schedule. The schedule will be left in your cabin.

It's not for you to go to your room without dinner, it's for you not to miss the sailing to the next port.

Once back on the ship, there will be late activities: shows, dances, music. Bars will be opened. Life won't stop after 6 pm, but you must be on the ship.

While I am not elderly ( getting there but not yet) I tend to turn in by 10pm as I usually wake up around 4:30 to 5:00 am every day for work. That and what I've had to drink during the day also causes me to turn in around that time ;-)

Basically NO, unless in an area that really needs it.

Wifey and I tend to keep similar hours as at home, maybe sleep in a bit later, and a nanna in the afternoon.

Love them nanna naps.

Best as I can tell after skimming some recent member reviews of Crystal, the OP's statement...

I am very excited to be taking my first cruise (on Crystal) in August. When reading user reviews, I came across one that indicated everyone had to be inside at 6:00 p.m. Is this normal? Are deck hours limited? I know that all venues do not close that early.

...seems to stem from one reviewer disappointed by the lack of any al fresco dining options in the evening on Crystal. Yes, the only venue open for dinner most nights will be the MDR--no buffet or pool grill after lunch. But calling it a "curfew" is quite a stretch; I can't imagine not being able to hang out on the open decks before, after or in lieu of dinner (there's always room service if you get hungry later).

Best as I can tell after skimming some recent member reviews of Crystal, the OP's statement...

...seems to stem from one reviewer disappointed by the lack of any al fresco dining options in the evening on Crystal. Yes, the only venue open for dinner most nights will be the MDR--no buffet or pool grill after lunch. But calling it a "curfew" is quite a stretch; I can't imagine not being able to hang out on the open decks before, after or in lieu of dinner (there's always room service if you get hungry later).

That may be the explanation.

I love going on a little moonlight walk around the deck hand in hand with the one I love.

I think you may have misread something. There is no curfew on Crystal. The only time constraint they put on passengers is when you have to be back on board the ship when sailing from a port. When you first embark your cruise, you have to be checked in and on board by the stated time, and when you're stopped in a port, you will be told a time when you have to be back on board the ship before it sails.

Yes. Yes. From personal experience, the bar in the Avenue will stay open

until the last guest leaves. Not much going on at 2 am, unless you want

to watch the staff cleaning.