Cabins not ready on boarding

antsp

Anyone know why cabins are now not ready when boarding, on our recent Regal cruise cabins were not available to 1pm and the corridors where closes off. Just about to sail on the Emerald and just had an email to say cabins on emerald deck will not be open until 1:30, seems at step backwards to me.

It happened to me a few times too. When I asked my room steward he said it was because 130 new stewards were boarding that day, high turnover. It was only the forward section of the ship closed though. They opened up pretty soon. This is a disappointment if it becomes routine.

Anyone know why cabins are now not ready when boarding, on our recent Regal cruise cabins were not available to 1pm and the corridors where closes off. Just about to sail on the Emerald and just had an email to say cabins on emerald deck will not be open until 1:30, seems at step backwards to me.

That if it has to take that extra time to make certain all cabins are thoroughly clean that's fine by me...:)

I cruised on the Regal in January and same thing. I wonder why ???? Any other Princess ship I have been on the cabins were immediately ready to occupy.

Princess cutbacks just too much, so needing to slip back to the old way?

Royal was completely ready March 29 when we boarded. Dumped our carryons and went to HC for lunch before noon.

What time did you board, this was the sailing we where on

Who said there was a change?

Things happen, and yes I believe its manpower on any given turnaround day. If there are extra cleaning issues/duties then it stretches the crew thin.

These crewmembers are already working really hard. I feel for them, they work their tails off.

If the cabins not ready I will go find something to do for a couple of hours. I don't feel entitled. Give em a break.

Who said there was a change?

Things happen, and yes I believe its manpower on any given turnaround day. If there are extra cleaning issues/duties then it stretches the crew thin.

These crewmembers are already working really hard. I feel for them, they work their tails off.

If the cabins not ready I will go find something to do for a couple of hours. I don't feel entitled. Give em a break.

The change is there cabins whete not ready, not a complaint, just the way it was. The reason I posted was the email saying they won't be ready until 1.30 on the deck our cabin is on the emerald next month

The change is there cabins whete not ready, not a complaint, just the way it was. The reason I posted was the email saying they won't be ready until 1.30 on the deck our cabin is on the emerald next month

Maybe its a maintenance issue that they have to prepare for by closing off the passageway, and the only time to do it is on turnaround day with no passengers around. Hopefully its not a regular thing.

Princess cutbacks just too much, so needing to slip back to the old way?

the "old way" is that cabins are ready when you board - it's been that way since I started sailing with Princess. There could be lots of reasons - crew drills, inspections, delays with supplies, getting people out of the cabins in the morning, delayed disembarkation...I was on Crown Princess last month and my cabin was ready when I boarded...of course I wasn't the first person in line to get on board either...

Are you sure this isn't the infamous staggered boarding? They stagger the boarding times by deck.

Edited by bdjam

We have notice on the 5/23 Grand sailing with staggered boarding that says our cabins will not be ready - we are not to board until 2:30. It will be interesting to see what really happens......I really don't care if the cabin isn't "finished" as long as I can drop my bags and go have lunch, etc. When we do a b2b we always tell the steward not to worry about our cabin in the morning...it can wait until the evening for anything at all.

We embarked on the Regal on 4/15 in Port Everglades & were informed at check-in that cabins would not be ready until 1:00. :(

Thankfully when we boarded at noon (priority boarding) the hallway door was open & our cabin steward said it was ready and that we could drop off our carryon items before enjoying lunch in the MDR.

It was posted on the roll call before our transatlantic that there would be a turnover of crew before sailing to Europe so that could be one factor. I've never experienced a delay in cabin availability previously including on several other TA cruises.

Hopefully it's not a new trend as one of the things we enjoy about Princess is having our cabin available as soon as we board the ship to drop off our items & enjoy a MDR lunch. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I say lighten up, most other cruiselines do not have the cabins ready for embarkation either. I don't see what the fuss is about, you are on the ship, lunch is served, the terminal chaos is behind you. CHILL.

Many times the ship comes in on a code-red which means it requires a deep cleaning (required by the health department) before boarding, so it takes a lot of extra time. If you get a message from PCL it may be late boarding or that rooms may not be ready, it just may be because of Noro.

I say lighten up, most other cruiselines do not have the cabins ready for embarkation either. I don't see what the fuss is about, you are on the ship, lunch is served, the terminal chaos is behind you. CHILL.

Many times the ship comes in on a code-red which means it requires a deep cleaning (required by the health department) before boarding, so it takes a lot of extra time. If you get a message from PCL it may be late boarding or that rooms may not be ready, it just may be because of Noro.

Yes lots of stuff to kill time. Like eating.

When I boarded the Crown Princess at San Pedro in April they gave us a notice on paper that the cabins would not be ready until 1pm. The doors to the passageways were not closed. We did go to our cabins and drop out carry on bags before going to lunch in the MDR. By the time lunch was over the cabins were ready. I think with the bigger ships and possible turnover of staff that it's just getting too difficult to get everything done before people start to board.

The email about the Emerald Princess definitely says our cabin won't be ready until 1.30, it's not so much the cabin not being ready but having your carry ons with you

To help facilitate a smooth start to your voyage we have implemented a progressive cruise check-in schedule. Please arrive at the check-in time listed below. If you have purchased a Princess Cruise Plus Package or Princess Transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel or the airport. Guests travelling on shared transport or arriving as a group will be checked in together. Priority check-in will be available to guests with a Preferred Boarding Pass within the allocated check-in times. Boarding will commence shortly after check-in. Please do not arrive prior to the start of cruise check-in as your cabin will not be ready. Once onboard, enjoy a meal at Horizon Court which remains open throughout the day to serve you.

1:00pm*- Baja & Lido Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with B & L*1:30pm*- Emerald & Dolphin Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with E & D*2:00pm*- Caribe & Plaza Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with C & P*2:30pm*- Aloha & Riviera Deck - Cabins on this deck begin with A & R

Please explain. I am booked on a Princess ship, the first after many years. People seem to tout having the cabins available on boarding as a great feature. And 1:00 seems to be the time. So that means no-one boards before 1:00?

Have cruised many Royal Caribbean ships in recent years and cabins are usually opened at 1:00 also. However I've boarded the ship as early as 10:45. We travel light so carry-ons are not a problem. And we are on-board enjoying ourselves for a couple of hours before the cabins open at 1:00.

Do I have this straight?

Thanks.