Cabins not ready on boarding

antsp

Please explain. I am booked on a Princess ship, the first after many years. People seem to tout having the cabins available on boarding as a great feature. And 1:00 seems to be the time. So that means no-one boards before 1:00?

Have cruised many Royal Caribbean ships in recent years and cabins are usually opened at 1:00 also. However I've boarded the ship as early as 10:45. We travel light so carry-ons are not a problem. And we are on-board enjoying ourselves for a couple of hours before the cabins open at 1:00.

Do I have this straight?

Thanks.

No ;)

Cabins have generally been ready when you board. There has not been a need to wait until 1:00. As you have read, some folks are now reporting that as of late this may not always be the case (though several posts have indicated that they were still able to drop off their carryon bags even if the room hasn't been fully prepared).

As far as boarding time is concerned, I've never heard of anyone boarding a Princess ship as early as 10:45.

Many arrive at the pier by 10:30 to 11:30 and get checked in. From there you are directed to a seated waiting area. Suite, Elite and Platinum passengers board first (in that order), followed by all else, roughly in the order in which they check in.

Boarding, in our experience generally starts around noon, maybe a bit sooner. However, and this is the point of this thread, you can proceed directly to your cabin as it has traditionally been ready.

Stay tuned to see if things have changed........or not. :)

Please explain. I am booked on a Princess ship, the first after many years. People seem to tout having the cabins available on boarding as a great feature. And 1:00 seems to be the time. So that means no-one boards before 1:00?

Have cruised many Royal Caribbean ships in recent years and cabins are usually opened at 1:00 also. However I've boarded the ship as early as 10:45. We travel light so carry-ons are not a problem. And we are on-board enjoying ourselves for a couple of hours before the cabins open at 1:00.

Do I have this straight?

Thanks.

This was always a six in one/half dozen in the other comparison between RCI and Princess. RCI boards earlier, but Princess had rooms open upon boarding. Both are good depending on how you look at it. Unfortunately, it looks as though Princess is taking a step back from their advantage. On my Regal cruise last month, we boarded at about 11:45 and rooms weren't ready until about 1:30.

For hotels on land I have had to wait several times till 3.30PM that is the normal for many London hotels.

As another person mentioned earlier the employees are really having to push things on a turn around day.Folks moan when they are confined to their cabins with Norovirus and the such or there is a hair in the shower.Its a no win situation isn't it?There are between 2000 to over 3000 passengers in one day on a ship all cabins having to be cleaned and bedding changed.

Want to beat the rush?Yes you and another 3000 folks would love the same.

I wonder if Princess could make money by charging say $25 for the few that want to embark with cabin ready earlier than everyone else? Oh dear then there would be something else to moan and groan about:eek:

To help facilitate a smooth start to your voyage we have implemented a progressive cruise check-in schedule. Please arrive at the check-in time listed below. If you have purchased a Princess Cruise Plus Package or Princess Transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel or the airport. Guests travelling on shared transport or arriving as a group will be checked in together. Priority check-in will be available to guests with a Preferred Boarding Pass within the allocated check-in times. Boarding will commence shortly after check-in. Please do not arrive prior to the start of cruise check-in as your cabin will not be ready. Once onboard, enjoy a meal at Horizon Court which remains open throughout the day to serve you.

1:00pm*- Baja & Lido Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with B & L*1:30pm*- Emerald & Dolphin Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with E & D*2:00pm*- Caribe & Plaza Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with C & P*2:30pm*- Aloha & Riviera Deck - Cabins on this deck begin with A & R

Here is the wording I found from my March 2014 cruise. It is similar, but the new wording has gotten stronger. I wonder if it is just to encourage people to follow the staggered boarding times, or if it is a policy change that they will strictly enforce. I also wonder if the times vary depending on the scheduled departure time.

PROGRESSIVE CRUISE CHECK-IN INFORMATION

Embarkation for your cruise is from 12:00 pm until 3:00 pm. As many of our guests are enthusiastic to join the ship, you may experience delays and longer lines when trying to board before your scheduled time. For those passengers with flexibility, the closer you arrive to your scheduled time, the shorter your wait is likely to be. All those who arrive by 3:00 pm will be accommodated and will not miss the ship. Passengers with a Preferred Boarding Pass, Transfer, and/or part of a group may check-in anytime during embarkation. Once onboard enjoy a meal at the Horizon Court, which remains open throughout the day to serve you. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

12:00pm - Lido Deck - Cabins on these decks begin with L 12:30pm - Caribe & Riviera Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with C & R 1:00pm - Baja & Plaza Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with B & P 1:30pm - Dolphin & Emerald Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with D & E 2:00pm - Aloha Deck - Cabins on this deck begin with A

Thank you for your attention to this notification

Edited by Jersey42

One more reason I'm not in a rush to be in the first wave of passengers. If the cabin isn't ready, I ask if I can put my carryon in the cabin. If not, no big deal, it is rather small has wheels, no worries! :) :D It looks like a rolling bowling bag! :D

I have boarded as early as 11:30 and between 1:30-2:30, I don't see why people make such a big deal out of this. Big picture, think about the timing, last passenger off, next passengers start boarding, how would you like to get ready in such a short time frame? Sometimes it isn't just about one person being inconvenienced (really?), but thousands of others, too!

To help facilitate a smooth start to your voyage we have implemented a progressive cruise check-in schedule. Please arrive at the check-in time listed below. If you have purchased a Princess Cruise Plus Package or Princess Transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel or the airport. Guests travelling on shared transport or arriving as a group will be checked in together. Priority check-in will be available to guests with a Preferred Boarding Pass within the allocated check-in times. Boarding will commence shortly after check-in. Please do not arrive prior to the start of cruise check-in as your cabin will not be ready. Once onboard, enjoy a meal at Horizon Court which remains open throughout the day to serve you.

1:00pm*- Baja & Lido Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with B & L*1:30pm*- Emerald & Dolphin Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with E & D*2:00pm*- Caribe & Plaza Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with C & P*2:30pm*- Aloha & Riviera Deck - Cabins on this deck begin with A & R

Looks like the standard progressive check in email that many get.

Want to beat the rush?Yes you and another 3000 folks would love the same.

I wonder if Princess could make money by charging say $25 for the few that want to embark with cabin ready earlier than everyone else? Oh dear then there would be something else to moan and groan about:eek:

Seriously??? Bite your tongue Heather. :eek: :cool: :(

More Carnivalization. Carnival already does this. :rolleyes:

Things are fine the way they are. Thank you.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

The email about the Emerald Princess definitely says our cabin won't be ready until 1.30, it's not so much the cabin not being ready but having your carry ons with you

I agree that carry ons are the problem. We sailed on Celebrity only once, but having to trip over mountains of carry ons everywhere we went was no fun and very dangerous.

It's worth noting we just came out of noro season. Even though the ship may not have been on code red or scheduled for additional cleaning, there may be additional steps taken that delay matters at some times.

Add in heavy turnover or maintenance items as noted and it becomes understandable on a certain percentage of cruises.

It also may just be as simple as moving away from languages where cabins were guaranteed to be ready on boarding to allow for such occurrences.

I could be wrong, but I don't see a "change" here.

I think the OP experienced two things: 1. The occasional ship where cabins are ready a tad late, and ... 2. The usual email that we all get about staggered boarding. Some will ignore it and show up at noon and get right on. Others will wait until the assigned time.

But as far as I can tell nothing has changed.

Jim

My Cruise Docs state that for our deck (Riviera), we are to board at 3pm?!?. The punchline is that the ship departs at 4pm. Obviously we are going to be at the port long before then. We are not waiting until 3pm for lunch. Hope they let us on early or they are going to have some hungry, cranky people to contend with!

My Cruise Docs state that for our deck (Riviera), we are to board at 3pm?!?. The punchline is that the ship departs at 4pm. Obviously we are going to be at the port long before then. We are not waiting until 3pm for lunch. Hope they let us on early or they are going to have some hungry, cranky people to contend with!

Many of us miss lunch on the ship but buy snacks and drinks on the way to the port. So you feel that 3000 should all be boarded by 2 PM so that everyone can have lunch? .Boarding commences at 12.30 usually so that would give Princess one and a half hours to process and board everyone????

Edited by kruisey

This never happened to us on 31 cruises with Princess in 6.5 years :D

Cato

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines :D

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebec city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May 2014, 7 Day, LA to Vancouver.

30th cruise - Pacific Princess, 05 - 12 Aug. 2014, 7 Days, Vancouver RT, Alaska

31st cruise - Golden Princess, 13 - 17 Oct. 2014, 4 Days, LA - Mexican Riv, RT,

32nd cruise - Crown Princess, 20 - 27 Dec. 2014, 7 Days, LA - Mexican Riv, RT.

33rd cruise - Coral Princess, 27Apr. - 02 May.2015, 5 Days, LA - Vancouver, Repo

This never happened to us on 31 cruises with Princess in 6.5 years :D

Cato

QUOTE]

Hasn't happened to us either with the exception of a total failure of the hotel side computer systems in New Orleans....the check in area was a huge tent and it was absolutely a total mess. But then everyone was delayed and it had nothing to do with rooms not being ready.

I am just wondering what things will be like at the pier in Vancouver on Saturday....will let you know what we experience.

I think this is common on both Royal and Regal. It must have to do with the # staterooms per Steward and the number of assistants available to turn over the rooms. Ive never experienced it on any other Princess ship but it happened on both of my Royal and Regal cruises.

It may depend on the port from which you are sailing. In Seattle, boarding of the ships normally starts around 1100 unless something out of the ordinary occurs.

Tom

I don't think I have ever seen boarding at 11:00am?

At least noon or later for us.

RCI boards earlier, but Princess had rooms open upon boarding.

Our most recent RCCL cruise (early 2013) we didn't board much earlier than on Princess. However on RCCL not only was our cabin not ready but no dining venue was open either when boarding the ship. Bars were open to sell drinks while sitting there with our bags waiting to eat...I much prefer the Princess system. ;)

Our most recent RCCL cruise (early 2013) we didn't board much earlier than on Princess. However on RCCL not only was our cabin not ready but no dining venue was open either when boarding the ship. Bars were open to sell drinks while sitting there with our bags waiting to eat...I much prefer the Princess system. ;)

No dining venue was open? :confused: That's an anomaly, not the norm. I don't think I've ever boarded a ship of any line in which at least the buffet wasn't open yet. RCI also has the Park Cafe open at boarding.

I don't think I have ever seen boarding at 11:00am?

At least noon or later for us.

I agree. I've done 6 cruises out of Seattle on Princess and boarding has always started right around noon +/- 15 minutes.

Interesting the angst about this. The staggered boarding email (along with instructions on the cruise personalizer) has been in place for about a year now. I don't think many people have been prevented from boarding at the time listed in the email...especially if you have Platinum or Elite priority boarding. But it doesn't seem that anything is really different...?

No dining venue was open? :confused: That's an anomaly, not the norm. I don't think I've ever boarded a ship of any line in which at least the buffet wasn't open yet. RCI also has the Park Cafe open at boarding.

Thanks...good to know that it's not routine. :)