Best month for Alaska?

We just started checking out Alaska cruises. We can sail in either July or August (2016). Prices seem low in early July, peak in mid-July, drop through August. Why? Is there a "best time" to visit (weather, temps, rain, mosquitoes, Etc.)?

We just started checking out Alaska cruises. We can sail in either July or August (2016). Prices seem low in early July, peak in mid-July, drop through August. Why? Is there a "best time" to visit (weather, temps, rain, mosquitoes, Etc.)?

Probably early July would give you the best weather, and the longest daylight (if that is of interest to you). It starts getting cool in August, with increasing chance of rain towards the end. Mosquitos seem not to care about the season.

We've been twice in August. We saw a bear and lots of salmon. There's probably a "best" time depending on what your interest is (salmon, bears, whales, ice on the mountain tops, etc.)

At the end of August we only saw a couple of kids. Probably the price was a bit lower since kids would be starting school by then. And it got dark earlier. We had lovely sunny days though.

We've only taken cruises to Alaska in late July and early August--DH's break between summer school and fall semester. We've had drizzle and rain a few times. The amazing thing is we've never had it in Ketchikan, which is supposed to be one of the rainiest places on earth.

We've been the end of June (that is when it is light the longest) and the end of July. I have about decided based on those two visits that I want to go in May when it will be cooler, and still have snow on the mountains.

I have been considering an Alaskan cruise for a few years as well and have read that June-July is the best time to go.

However, I do recall that there is a certain time of the year that you can go and see the aurora in the skies and it is absolutely beautiful. I would love to go when they are having that. Anyone know when it is? (Or course it's probably one of the months that doesn't have much daylight, which would be a drawback). :)