Would someone who has actually done RS recently clarify?

cacj

I am putting this question in a separate thread because I just would like a simple answer.

So please, if it is possible, could someone who has recently sailed and used room service AND been charged the fee tell us what the total was for the room service.

The fee is supposed to be $7.95. Is that all you were charged? Or was there an added gratuity?

I would appreciate some real information from folks who used RS.

We know that if you add non-complimentary items you get charged for those....but what did you order that was complimentary that only incurred the fee of $7.95?

We are just confused as to what the $7.95 really is. And if there is or is not an additional 18% added.

If the $7.95 has an additional 18% that makes the RS total around $10...so we would like it clarified if anyone could do so. Thanks.

I am putting this question in a separate thread because I just would like a simple answer.

So please, if it is possible, could someone who has recently sailed and used room service AND been charged the fee tell us what the total was for the room service.

The fee is supposed to be $7.95. Is that all you were charged? Or was there an added gratuity?

I would appreciate some real information from folks who used RS.

We know that if you add non-complimentary items you get charged for those....but what did you order that was complimentary that only incurred the fee of $7.95?

We are just confused as to what the $7.95 really is. And if there is or is not an additional 18% added.

If the $7.95 has an additional 18% that makes the RS total around $10...so we would like it clarified if anyone could do so. Thanks.

I won't be sailing until Sep 5th, but can tell you what the room service menu says, but that also raises additional questions. Next to the titles for Beverages, Wine Selection, Cocktails, and Special Occasion Menu there is an asterisk (*). The footnote at the bottom of the menu says "* An 18% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to your check for non-complimentary beverage or special occasion items. Complimentary continental breakfast and orders that include special occasion and/or non-complimentary beverage items are exempt from the $7.95 convenience charge." See attached room service menu.

I read this as:

1. If you order any complimentary item (other than continental breakfast before 10:00 am), such as a Hamburger, which is complimentary, you will pay the $7.95 convenience charge, but no gratuity, as complimentary items have no charge from which to calculate the gratuity. So, a hamburger would cost you only the $7.95 convenience charge, not including any tip you may decide to give the delivery person.

2. If you order that same Hamburger with a Soda, which is non-complimentary and costs $2.25, there would be an added gratuity of $0.41, for a total bill of $2.66. Since the footnote says "orders that include special occasion and/or non-complimentary beverage items are exempt from the $7.95 convenience charge.", there would be no convenience charge. Your total bill now, for a Hamburger and Soda would only be $2.66.

3. It would appear then the the simple way to get around the convenience charge is to always order a soda or other beverage that isn't complimentary with every order.

That seems to be way too easy a way around the fee, so as the old saying goes, it if seems too good to be true, it probably is. Not to mention the illogical case of being charged $7.95 for a Hamburger, but only $2.66 for a Hamburger and Soda. I have seen one person post that they did order beverages and were charged the convenience fee, despite what the menu states. Because of this illogical loophole I leave open the possibility that the policy being followed does not follow what the menu states, perhaps with the explanation that the menu footnote isn't worded correctly, but rather than correct the wording or follow it until revised, they simply enforce it how they meant for it to be stated, not how it actually IS stated.

NOW, to add to the original question, Has anyone placed a room service order which included a non-complimentary beverage, and not been charged the convenience charge, as the footnote on the menu seems to state is the policy?

RSMenu1.pdf

cacj, I completely understand your confusion! (No, seriously.) Perhaps I can help clarify:

(To be read in the voice of that guy who does all of the drug commercial voice overs and talks at the rate of 90 words per second....)

You will be charged a convenience fee of $7.95, unless you're ordering ONLY Continental Breakfast before 10:00 AM. If you order a hot breakfast, you will be charged $7.95 at any time of day, except on weekends and every other Thursday unless there's a full moon. You MAY also not be charged a fee if you order an alcoholic drink with your room service meal (which at this point, you all should do in order to get over the stress of figuring out the darn room service fees in the first place), but then again, you might still be charged a fee, depending on the mood of the room service rep who takes your order. In every case, you should add on an 18% gratuity based on the $7.95 fee, plus the imagined cost of the complimentary food, but minus the cost of alcoholic drinks, because those are already charged with a gratuity. Further, you are exempt from all room service fees if you can prove that you're a Platinum member of every other cruise line on the planet and will raise an enormous fuss if we bill you for room service.

I hope that clears things up. ;):D

I am so sorry...I used the RS in the title and cannot change it or edit. But I would if I could.

To edit the title, click EDIT and then click on GO ADVANCED. The thread title should be visible to change.

Edited by KaralotStables
Checking advanced

cacj, I completely understand your confusion! (No, seriously.) Perhaps I can help clarify:

(To be read in the voice of that guy who does all of the drug commercial voice overs and talks at the rate of 90 words per second....)

You will be charged a convenience fee of $7.95, unless you're ordering ONLY Continental Breakfast before 10:00 AM. If you order a hot breakfast, you will be charged $7.95 at any time of day, except on weekends and every other Thursday unless there's a full moon. You MAY also not be charged a fee if you order an alcoholic drink with your room service meal (which at this point, you all should do in order to get over the stress of figuring out the darn room service fees in the first place), but then again, you might still be charged a fee, depending on the mood of the room service rep who takes your order. In every case, you should add on an 18% gratuity based on the $7.95 fee, plus the imagined cost of the complimentary food, but minus the cost of alcoholic drinks, because those are already charged with a gratuity. Further, you are exempt from all room service fees if you can prove that you're a Platinum member of every other cruise line on the planet and will raise an enormous fuss if we bill you for room service.

I hope that clears things up. ;):D

That is pretty funny. Thanks for the laugh this evening.

Edited by coolbluegreenseas

• 2 weeks later...
You get 2 bills if you order soda also

7.95 for room service straight charge. No gratuity added in

Then soda tab which includes gratuity

do you know this from experience or are you just assuming that is the way it will be charged?

What strikes me about this thread is that given all the hysteria about the room service fee, and the insistence that Cruise Critic is a powerful force due to the many, many cruisers that engage here, no one has been able to say they ordered room service and a soda to see if the room service fee was waived.

This has been going on for weeks. No one has tried it?

What strikes me about this thread is that given all the hysteria about the room service fee, and the insistence that Cruise Critic is a powerful force due to the many, many cruisers that engage here, no one has been able to say they ordered room service and a soda to see if the room service fee was waived.

This has been going on for weeks. No one has tried it?

Apparently people are unwilling to put it to the test.

We have to wait for Harriet to return from her cruise this week to find out the answer!

Didn't you like the answer in post 19? :confused:

Not that it might not be handled differently on different ships. :rolleyes: :)

Edited by peg013

We have to wait for Harriet to return from her cruise this week to find out the answer!

Read post #19. The person was on the Dawn last week and there were two separate charges, one with the room service fee and one with the gratuity only.

That is what I would expect and now it has been verified.

Read post #19. The person was on the Dawn last week and there were two separate charges, one with the room service fee and one with the gratuity only.

That is what I would expect and now it has been verified.

That's NOT what was written. See below....

You get 2 bills if you order soda also

7.95 for room service straight charge. No gratuity added in

Then soda tab which includes gratuity