Total Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Tradewinds Transatlantic crossing 2015

scubacruiserx2

Woohoo, party Central on the CB. Cannot wait.:D

2 months to go ! ;)

I agree, while I like sea days, having an itinerary where there are ports between blocks (2-4) of sea days is an excellent way to cruise.:D

Except for London and Bergen , all new ports for us on the TA !! Yippee :) :D

We could not go ashore until 11 AM so many people choose to sleep in , but we were up early for the sunrise breakfast and the sail in . The dining area was deserted .

IMG_6089_zpslmaao6rp.jpg

IMG_6087_zpskml04wos.jpg

IMG_6086_zpswjvdoiqn.jpg

IMG_6088_zpsnerncpsv.jpg

We were starting to see other ships as we got closer to port and a sliver of the sunrise showed a ship's profile

IMG_6107-001_zpszsjg763m.jpg

IMG_6135-001_zpsctuylkxi.jpg

More sunrise shots

IMG_6167-001_zpsqttbrgwd.jpg

At breakfast , a Ro Ro crossed our wake .

If you have never seen one of the these amazing ships in action , here's a video of one loading :

I like it when the ship is deserted. This one is my favourite out of the sunrise shots. :D

Joe, you and Pat are now famous in Australia, Cruise Critic Australia has lifted a photo of Pat standing by the elevators and posted in on FB.

Cruise Critic Australia

2 hrs

Admit it, the sight of these lifts gives you a lift :)

DSC02181_zpsxnubnzzm.jpg

Photo: scubacruiserx2 onboard Celebrity Cruises

Edited by MicCanberra

The most in one go for me has been 7 sea days.

However, we have had 5 sea days, then 3 ports, followed by 5 sea days 2 ports and 2 sea days both have been on Transpacifics. I do enjoy sea days though.

We were on this cruise with Joe, it was our 1st TA and we booked it, in part, because of the stop in Bermuda which broke up the consecutive sea days to two prior to Bermuda, then 2 days in Bermuda and then 4 sea days. I was concerned about the 4 in a row.....I was wrong...I loved it and could easily have "endured" a few more....hence we now have reservations for the Reflection TA next April which has 7 sea days in a row and I have no "reservations" about our reservation!!!! :D

Thanks for the input on sea days. I always come home from our more port intensive shorter cruises totally exhausted since I seem to forget I'm not 18 any more so I jam in as much activity as I possibly can. Perhaps a few more sea days would build in some rest and relaxation time so I might come more rested than I usually do. We are workIng our way up to longer cruises, so I expect we will try a TA eventually. :D

Thanks for the input on sea days. I always come home from our more port intensive shorter cruises totally exhausted since I seem to forget I'm not 18 any more so I jam in as much activity as I possibly can. Perhaps a few more sea days would build in some rest and relaxation time so I might come more rested than I usually do. We are workIng our way up to longer cruises, so I expect we will try a TA eventually. :D

Personally if I was to pick a favourite port day/sea day itinerary it would be on a 14 day cruise, (5 ports and 7 sea days):

• Embarkation;
  • 2 sea days to get to know the ship and relax after months (or longer) of work and the travel to get to the cruise;
  • 2 ports;
  • 2 days at sea;
  • 1 port;
  • 1 day at sea;
  • 2 ports;
  • 2 days at sea; and
  • disembarkation.

cheers mic:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Personally if I was to pick a favourite port day/sea day itinerary it would be on a 14 day cruise, (5 ports and 7 sea days):

• Embarkation;
  • 2 sea days to get to know the ship and relax after months (or longer) of work and the travel to get to the cruise;
  • 2 ports;
  • 2 days at sea;
  • 1 port;
  • 1 day at sea;
  • 2 ports;
  • 2 days at sea; and
  • disembarkation.

cheers mic:D

That works...but I think I'd add two more days at sea one at the beginning and one in the middle...the 16 day TA was great...and the two extra days just made it feel extra special...

Joe--- looking forward to your Lisbon pictures!!!

Edited by Gracie115

That works...but I think I'd add two more days at sea one at the beginning and one in the middle...the 16 day TA was great...and the two extra days just made it feel extra special...

Joe--- looking forward to your Lisbon pictures!!!

That is so funny as I originally had 3 to start and two in the middle but thought I had two days too many for a normal two week cruise.:D

Joe, you and Pat are now famous in Australia, Cruise Critic Australia has lifted a photo of Pat standing by the elevators and posted in on FB.

Cruise Critic Australia

2 hrs

Admit it, the sight of these lifts gives you a lift :)

DSC02181_zpsxnubnzzm.jpg

Photo: scubacruiserx2 onboard Celebrity Cruises

Famous or infamous ? :eek: Are you behind this Mic ?

Sailing up the Tagus River into Lisbon we see the Belem Tower . It was built in the 1500's .

IMG_4961_zpsalgdwtms.jpg

And then , the Monument to the Discoveries

IMG_4963_zpsi9iby10h.jpg

We then sailed under Lisbon's version of the Golden Gate Bridge . It was noisy as heard on this video clip:

We also saw the large statue Christ the King towering above us .

IMG_4969_zpsw0p9ucny.jpg

We were not alone

IMG_4980_zpslifjbnjp.jpg

We had company !

IMG_5040-001_zpsvhbo1wyb.jpg

The April the 25th Bridge

lisbon%20stitch-001_zpsdlbxklfg.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Famous or infamous ? :eek: Are you behind this Mic ?

No, I wasn't and I am sure they didn't ask for your permission. It just goes to show that once you put a photo out there (on CC or FB) it ceases to be your property and they can use it for what ever they wish.

Our tour began with a drive to a public square that looked so nice that I shot this photo threw the window . You can see the ghost reflection in the clouds .

IMG_6289_zpslidjzssl.jpg

But we soon stopped there for some proper shots

IMG_6305_zps4wwxeaeq.jpg

IMG_6291_zpstzddbxhg.jpg

Got Coke ?

IMG_6301_zpsvfmyd5cb.jpg

It seems that trolleys , buses and trams converge here .

IMG_6307_zps8acstlia.jpg

We soon moved on to our next stop - Belem . There we had hoped to see the monastery that was closed on our previous visit . Our guild went to get some of the pastries for our group and gave us some time for a quick visit . He also pointed out the long line to get into the monastery .

IMG_6308_zpskt37y8k7.jpg

He suggested that we go into the church instead where there was no line .

IMG_6319_zpsc7b9nvhc.jpg

It was immense and very beautiful inside

IMG_6314_zpsrtlwsu3d.jpg

IMG_6325_zpstt0gfrbf.jpg

IMG_6364_zpse5pnh4jr.jpg

IMG_6352_zpsa1b2nnw2.jpg

The empty ship shots are gorgeous!

That church is beautiful too.

Thanks Jen . After exiting the church I asked this lady if I could take her photo . She said yes but didn't smile .

IMG_6366_zpsmwxgibon.jpg

I wanted to a larger photo so we moved across the street

IMG_6376_zpsq8kogn6v.jpg

IMG_6369_zpserikirsy.jpg

This beautiful horse and young lady were there

IMG_6379_zpswiuoknfp.jpg

I wish that we could have gone for a ride but we didn't have the time . She was happy to smile !

IMG_6381_zpsc33ruuwc.jpg

Our group met back at the Banana Cafe to share our pastries before moving on .

IMG_6382_zpsoa4kuue9.jpg