Total Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Tradewinds Transatlantic crossing 2015

scubacruiserx2

I was never so cold as on our recent dive in Cozumel , I should have taken my fleece jacket - duh ! :eek:

Having learned to dive in New England, and done a lot of my early diving in the cold waters off the coast of Massachusetts, I probably have been that cold! :eek: Was it the water temp or the air temp once you got out that had you freezing? On my last dive in Cozumel we had a cold squall blow through during our surface interval. We ended up jumping back in the water to keep warm!

Good , I'm sure that makes Nancy (and her cats) feel much safer ! :p

year-of-the-cat_zpsfyr4umsb.jpg

Let's just say my cats and I are glad that Mic lives in Australia, and so are the wild rabbits who live in the conservation area behind our house! :D

Let's just say my cats and I are glad that Mic lives in Australia, and so are the wild rabbits who live in the conservation area behind our house! :D

I would never consciously eat cats:eek: Rabbit on the other hand (if farmed) when cooked properly is very nice.:D

The hall is huge.

Yes it is , and quite a change in venue from their previous concert ! In recent years , Al plays smaller gigs with only an acoustic guitar player named Dave Nachmanoff .

b5f40955-45d6-4083-97bc-f4ab73047242_zpsqpowzy9z.jpg

And they permit photography with a better camera

5b72b69f-b3f1-4480-ad92-cd6b5813b09d_zpsc8xkhc57.jpg

And chat and pose after the concert

059c1b21-f7dc-4f8e-b745-45481aec3a61_zpsumfbtbz1.jpg

We had seen them play near our home 2 months earlier , in a small club , before playing in London .

DSC01975_zpsj9itaohr.jpg

And like in London , I only had my small camera and camcorder . However , we were in the second row .

a30b3692-4029-486b-9f9e-138e160654d0_zpsstnmvbcg.jpg

Where I recorded this video of the song Midas Shadow , first as a duo in Florida where Dave does some great guitar work .

And then later , in Albert Hall , with the full band , like the original version on the record .

:cool:

Having learned to dive in New England, and done a lot of my early diving in the cold waters off the coast of Massachusetts, I probably have been that cold! :eek: Was it the water temp or the air temp once you got out that had you freezing? On my last dive in Cozumel we had a cold squall blow through during our surface interval. We ended up jumping back in the water to keep warm!

There were several factors :

1. Before our trip the water temp was 82 f , but it was 76 f on the dive day .

2. I only took a 1 mm neoprene skin .

3. I usually pack the dive bag and Pat packs the comfort bag . She didn't dive and I forgot a towel and jacket .

4. Our friends booked a slow boat instead of our usual fast boat ( the fast boats had not been able to take divers previously in the rough seas ) . The the slower boat kept a steady breeze for almost 7 hours coming and going to the dive sites ( we didn't require a surface interval ) . Ultimately , 2 hours diving and a 5 hour boat ride required more than a T -shirt to stay warm - even in Cozumel .

Here's what a smart diver wears in Cozumel ! ;)

DSC05123_zpsjpjsxupl.jpg

We passed the Caribbean and Regal Princesses headed towards Palancar . :) :D

DSC05125_zpss9s34jhn.jpg

I love how the Caribbean Princess still has the 'spoiler' style skywalkers

This topic came up at our CC M&G with Martyn Moss , the CD on the Regal last week . He told us how the Grand Princess had a steel Skywalkers which greatly effected the performance of the ship . It was removed in May 2011 .

Skywalkers-removal_zpstmlwqybw.jpg

Wikipedia quote :

The removal of the "Skywalkers" lounge from Grand Princess has resolved her tendency to sail bow high, and has improved her fuel economy by about 3-4%. The bow high tendency was peculiar to Grand Princess, and does not affect any of the other Grand class ships (or the derivative classes) as they all have aluminium upper decks, a feature Grand Princess does not have due to the technology to link these two materials being in its infancy when she was built.

The first Al Stewart album that I ever heard was Past , Present and Future in 1974 . He is a very literate and articulate song writer in the historical genre and a gifted singer , musician and story teller as well .

ppampf_zpstkw9zq7j.jpg

The U.S. album cover (Janus Records), by Hipgnosis and George Hardie, is a photography-like rendition of the Marvel Comics character Doctor Strange using his Cloak of Levitation to travel through a hole created in the air into an alternative universe. (wikipedia) The cover seem to depict one of the album's characters from the song Nostradamus and describes his alleged ability to see into the past , present or future . The Album was performed in it's entirety and this is the video of the song Nostradamus , with a great acoustic guitar duo .

A second stand out song was Roads to Moscow ."Roads to Moscow" is song that tells the story of the German invasion of Russia during World War II, as seen through the eyes of a Russian partisan who is described by one source as being Alexander Solzhenitsyn . (wikipedia)

This is the song that Pat and listened to while traveling to Moscow on the Sapsan . And this is the video version from the RAH :

:) :D

After an intermission - the main course . The Year of the Cat album was played in it's entirety .

DSC05269_zpsnep7hr6e.jpg

The YOTC single and album both recorded platinum sales in 1976 , the year that my wife and I first met ! I had some great seats in a good venue in Miami in 1976 during the YOTC tour , but Pat and I had some different musical tastes at the time , and so I went with my former roommate . And now , 39 years later , we went together , and Al had 3 of his original band mates from the album playing .

This song , On the Border , was the second single from the album and features Al's co-writer from the album , Peter Green , on the Spanish guitar :

In this one of my favorite songs ( Broadway Hotel ) , Al made up a little story explaining the song . And Dave Nachmanoff performs on the violin :

Near the end of the concert he performed a YOTC version which included a piano entry from As time goes by and ended with a strolling saxophone solo :

We truly enjoyed the evening at RAH , but were also looking forward to flying home in the morning . :) :D

Wow, sounds like a great night of entertainment for you both. :D

It was , and also for thousands of other fans like us . We were surprised that after almost 40 years he was still able to sell out RAH and a week later , almost a sell out again . Our hope that many of the readers will enjoy the videos . ;)

In keeping with our 'perks for pennies' philosophy , Pat found an upgrade on our favorite T A airline , Virgin Atlantic .

DSC03618_zpsxtbvihuz.jpg

It included a private lift to the clubhouse .

DSC03619_zpsx8f3e2wg.jpg

But the sign (and seat) in the lift didn't raise our hopes for a quick trip . :eek:

DSC03620_zps10wzqjuo.jpg

But when the doors opened , we felt like we had arrived !

IMG_1374_zps3uedir7y.jpg

For us it was the nicest clubhouse that we had been in !

Library

IMG_1377_zpshveagjgm.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

The doors of the lift does not inspire confidence either.:eek:

It was a bit of a Wizard of Oz experience ( but not quite a Tower of Terror ) . Before entering , we observed an antiquated and slightly dodgy lift .

DSC03619-002_zpslszkztp9.jpg

After entering , and the doors slowly creaking shut - it shook and shivered and bounced and quivered for what seemed like a minute or two . The doors finally opened to reveal , in living Technicolor - the club house ( but NO munchkins ! ) . And after some drinks magically appeared , and were consumed , we felt a whole lot better !

DSC03623_zpszmsdzact.jpg

:) :D

It was , and it made for a great transition to our big cruise ship in the sky . ;)

I used to be able to get into airport lounges due to work and travel but now I find I cannot justify the cost of membership. At $800 per year per person, we do not travel enough to get value for that amount of money.:D