Total Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Tradewinds Transatlantic crossing 2015

scubacruiserx2

Thanks scubacruiserx2!

Joanna , here's a few more photos from our trip and a couple from the Picos de Europa park which I found online .

Our last stop after lunch was Cangas de Onis to see and visit the Roman bridge there . We drove past the bridge as we came into town and parked the bus at the station where the guide stayed . He told us to be back in about an hour . It's about a 10 minute walk back to the bridge .

Transatlantic200920032_zpshtoejet6.jpg

It's a steep walk up the old bridge

Transatlantic200920Joe20306_zpslhnivwqf.jpg

Transatlantic200920031_zpsum2ihxte.jpg

One of the stores along the way back

Transatlantic200920033_zpsegvbme9k.jpg

We did enjoy our visit but had really hoped to get into the park and these photos will show why .

BioesferaPicosDeEuropa4_zpsgzy3v2xo.jpg

parque-nacional-picos-de-europa_zpsbzunwzc0.jpg

It reminds us of Torres del Paine in South America . If we had it to do over we would consider renting a car and driving to center of the park , about a 2 1/2 hour drive . We hope that you have a great cruise and visit there .

Great bridge shots. Love the snow capped mountains. Makes me want to visit as well.:D

Thank you Mic , they taken with my first land digital camera in 2009 . We have been reading a HAL blog and thinking of the snow capped mountains of Antarctica .

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2302990

Maybe in a couple of years ! :) :D

While in Kensington we stumbled upon St. Mary's Abbots

DSC03487_zpsilujsxfa.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mary_Abbots

This photo is by Diliff and is from wikipedia

St_Mary_Abbots_Church_Cloister_Kensington_London_UK_-_Diliff_zpspbhzswr4.jpg

I always find buildings which are older than the city that I was born in , to be interesting .

The altar and nave

DSC03492_zps20vb9joc.jpg

Entrance and West stained glass window

DSC03489_zpsxwn0s0qi.jpg

DSC03495_zpswaa4s2hv.jpg

And they had a nice quite garden not far from the busy street

DSC03500_zpsxx5luea5.jpg

Thank you Mic , they taken with my first land digital camera in 2009 . We have been reading a HAL blog and thinking of the snow capped mountains of Antarctica .

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2302990

Maybe in a couple of years ! :) :D

Antarctica is Awesome, X goes there also. I will check out the other thread, It is always good to relive some memories and/or get another persons view.

Edited by MicCanberra

Thank you for your continued report! I live in UK, but have never been to St Mary's Abbots!

However, we are used to the church architecture, but the picture of the the Clematis stirs me ( mine are already sprouting in their sheltered position- the winter has been exceptionally mild)

Could you post a link here if you do a comparison review between Celebrity / Princess- I believe you mentioned you were thinking of doing one.

Wishing you and Pat a great cruise.

Antarctica is Awesome, X goes there also. I will check out the other thread, It is always good to relive some memories and/or get another persons view.

We looked at X and it looks good ( 14 days ) . It's 21 days on the HAL version but our dream cruise is 10 days on Silversea where you land on the continent !! :) :D

Classic Antarctica

Ushuaia Roundtrip | 10 Days

16 February 2017 | Voyage 7704

Expedition Highlights:

Marvel at spectacular iceberg sculptures and calving glaciers

Set foot on the continent and mainland of Antarctica

Encounter Gentoo, Chinstrap and Adelie Penguins

Spot elephant seals, Antarctic fur seals, Weddell seals, leopard seals and crabeater seals

Watch for whales – humpback, Minke, orca, pilot, and beaked whales

Identify seabirds – Snowy Sheathbill, Antarctic Cormorant, Kelp Gull, Antarctic Tern, Cape Petrels, Wandering Albatrosses, Southern Fulmars, Blue-eyed Shags, Southern Giant Petrels, skuas, Black-browed Albatrosses, Wilson’s Storm Petrels, Sooty Shearwaters

Day 1 — Ushuaia, Argentina

Embark Silver Explorer, settle in and attend a mandatory safety drill before leaving port. During the afternoon you will be introduced to some of the important crew members and your Expedition Team. At sail-away bid farewell to Tierra del Fuego, the ‘Land at the End of the World’.

Days 2–3 — Drake Passage

The Drake Passage has a notorious reputation for its turbulent seas due to the westerly winds and the funnelling effect of the passage. The Antarctic Convergence, a natural boundary where cold polar water flows northward and warmer equatorial water moves southward, is within the Drake Passage. When these two currents meet, nutrients are pushed to the surface, often attracting a multitude of seabirds and whales. Spend some time on deck watching the horizon and the variety of seabirds that glide in the air currents of our ship’s wake such as the Black-browed Albatross, Sooty Shearwaters and White-chinned Petrels. Have your camera ready to capture the magical colour of a late night sunsets.

As we set sail on our initial transit, familiarise yourself with the elegant Silver Explorer and the friendly Expedition Team members.Attend wildlife, geography and history discussions hosted by our expert naturalists and guest lecturers that will prepare you for the exciting adventures that lie ahead. When available, visit the Bridge and meet our Captain and officers; information will be posted in the “Chronicle”, our daily on-board newsletter.

Days 4–8 — Antarctic Peninsula

While sailing to Antarctica, every turn can reveal a new and breath-taking adventure. As the pack ice becomes thicker, it becomes apparent to everyone that we are moving closer into Antarctica’s vast white wilderness. Remote and otherworldly, Antarctica is irresistible for its spectacular iceberg sculptures and calving glaciers, and for the possibility of up-close encounters with marine mammals. Watch for seals sunbathing on slow-moving ice floes and for humpback, Minke, and orca whales to surface from below the frigid waters. Each day we will attempt Zodiac departures, and, if conditions permit, we will cruise amidst colourful icebergs or step ashore to visit a variety of penguin rookeries and perhaps scientific research stations on complimentary excursions led by our team of natural history experts.

A flexible itinerary allows us to take advantage of favourable sea and weather conditions. In the true spirit of expedition cruising, each day the Expedition Leader and Captain will determine our best course depending on weather, ice conditions and wildlife we may encounter. Here are some of the places we may visit:

Aitcho Islands, South Shetland Islands (just off the Antarctic Peninsula at the entrance to the English Strait)

As you step off the Zodiac to explore the island, it is very likely you will be greeted by the locals…penguins! Penguin species here include Gentoo and Chinstrap. Other annual seabirds include the Southern Giant Petrels.

While heading back to the ship, you may have company as a leopard seal follows alongside your group’s Zodiac.

Brown Bluff, Tabarin Peninsula (a 2,200-foot bluff on mainland Antarctica)

Brown Bluff is an ice-capped, 745-metre-high, flat-topped mountain with a prominent cliff of reddish-brown volcanic rock.

Adelie and Gentoo Penguins, Kelp Gulls, and Cape Petrels use this as a breeding area.

Birds such as the all-white Snow Petrel and skuas may be seen from a distance.

As you explore the area, a Weddell seal may be seen basking in the sunlight.

Wait long enough and you might see the Adelie Penguins standing along the shore, finally making their way into the surf.

Cuverville Island, Errera Channel

The island was discovered by Gerlache’s Belgian Antarctic expedition of 1897–99, and was named for a vice admiral in the French navy.

Large bare rock areas provide nesting sites for Gentoo Penguins.

Snow Petrels and Cape Petrels also may be seen whilst Wilson’s Storm Petrels nest in the higher scree of the island.

During Zodiac tours around the many icebergs, hauled-out Weddell seals may be seen.

Paradise Bay ( Antarctic Peninsula)

The bay is well named for its spectacular scenery of mountains, glaciers and icebergs.

From the ship, observe Argentina’s “Base Almirante Brown”, one of many Antarctic research stations.

Here, you will actually set foot on mainland Antarctica.

View the wildlife from sea level while cruising in your Zodiac with one of our experienced Expedition Team members. There’s a good chance you’ll come across a crabeater seal relaxing on a nearby ice floe, or if you’re very lucky, your Zodiac driver may locate Minke whales.

Paulet Island

As you arrive, the sight of Adelie Penguins covering the entire island may well amaze you. The island is home to 80-90 thousand Adelie Penguins that come here to breed.

On a nearby hill, view a massive colony of Blue-eyed Shags.

Kelp Gulls and Snowy Sheathbills are amongst the other birds that breed on Paulet Island, and Wilson’s Storm Petrels are regularly seen.

Listen as your Expedition Team member tells of Otto Nordenskjöld and his Swedish Antarctic Expedition. The crew of his relief ship Antarctic had to over-winter on the island in 1903. Remnants of their hut still remain.

If time permits, hike to Crater Lake or take a Zodiac cruise to view impossibly blue icebergs and the Adelie Penguins making themselves at home on the ice floes.

Petermann Island, Wilhelm Archipelago

The island is named for German geographer August Petermann and was first discovered by a German expedition in 1873-74.

Our on-board geologist will take the opportunity to point out various geological features such as the many leucocratic dikes along the shoreline and the more granitic composition towards the small ice-covered summit. Rock surfaces show glacial polish, some glacial grooving and nice samples of frost shattering.

During our landing, we will be able to observe rookeries of Adelie Penguins, Gentoo Penguins and Blue-eyed Shags.

Pleneau Island, Wilhelm Archipelago

Pleneau Island lies at the south end of the Lemaire Channel, and was first explored during Charcot’s 1903–05 French Antarctic Expedition. The island was named for the expedition’s photographer, Paul Pleneau.

Amongst the common breeding birds are Gentoo Penguins, Kelp Gulls and South Polar Skuas.

See the Gentoo Penguins during a landing and Southern elephant seals that are often hauled-out in wallows.

Enjoy spectacular glacial and ice scenery.

Port Foster, Whalers Bay (Deception Island)

Deception Island is home to a collapsed volcano and an excellent example of a caldera where it is believed that the volcano’s summit collapsed with one section sinking far enough to allow the sea to flood the interior. We plan to sail inside this breached wall through a narrow entrance called Neptune’s Bellows.

Our resident geologist will take the opportunity to explain the unique volcanic features of the area while our naturalists might introduce you to the whaling history of Deception Island.

Still visible on the island are the boilers used to make whale oil in the early 1900s.

Port Lockroy, Goudier Island

The British built a listening station here during WWII, which was then used as a research station in the 1950s and since 1996 as a museum and gift shop.

Snowy Sheathbills and Gentoo Penguins roam outside the museum.

Perhaps sight a whale or two on your Zodiac approach to Goudier Island.

Days 9–10 — Drake Passage Return

Navigating our return through the Drake Passage, we will watch for seabirds and wildlife we may have missed on the first leg. Take this opportunity to attend additional presentations offered by the Expedition Team lecturers and to swap photos with new friends as we travel towards Ushuaia.

Day 11 — Ushuaia, Argentina

Silver Explorer will arrive at Ushuaia in the morning. Following breakfast, disembark Silver Explorer.

Expedition highlights and wildlife listed here are possible experiences only and cannot be guaranteed. Your Expedition Leader and Captain will work together to ensure opportunities for adventure and exploration are the best possible, taking into account the prevailing weather, wildlife activity and ice conditions. Expedition Team members scheduled for this voyage are subject to change or cancellation.

But at $ 11,000 p.p. , it may only be a dream . ;)

Thank you for your continued report! I live in UK, but have never been to St Mary's Abbots!

However, we are used to the church architecture, but the picture of the the Clematis stirs me ( mine are already sprouting in their sheltered position- the winter has been exceptionally mild)

Could you post a link here if you do a comparison review between Celebrity / Princess- I believe you mentioned you were thinking of doing one.

Wishing you and Pat a great cruise.

Hello Jackie and thanks for sharing the name of the flower as we had no idea of what it was . It's funny because Clematis is name of the street , historic area and hipster hangout in West Palm Beach .

http://www.westpalmbeach.com/clematis/

We hope to do a review here comparing the S class to the Princess R class after our return in mid February . We also hope to do pictorial review of the Regal on the Princess Cruises thread simultaneously . :) :D

Yes, the big difference between a cruise and an expedition is landing. Landing would be phenomenal, but my wife has a fear of ice (had a fall and broke her back and arm/wrist) so we went with the cruise. Fantastic and it will do me. You still get close up and personal with the penguins and you still see all the beauty and other wildlife with the comfort of a 5 star cruise for about 25% the cost. :D

This is probably the best review I have seen on CC.

Thank you

On the Eclipse sailing after next can't wait

Wow , what an incredibly nice thing to say ! :):D We hope that you enjoy your Eclipe cruise as much as , or more than we did . You may wish to bring some insect repellent and sunscreen as it was quite warm today 27 c (80 f) . And don't forget those sunglasses ! :cool:

Scubacruisersx2, almost time for your Regal Princess cruise! I will have to be sure I remember to watch the PE webcams this weekend! Please be sure you're waving as you sail out of port. :D

Yeah we're starting to get happy feet ! :) :D Pat will probably be doing the Regal wave on our aft cabin balcony and I'll be waving my camera ( and maybe taking a few photos ) . ;)

Meanwhile , on the home front , Pat's surgeon cleared her for a reversal surgery ( based on if we receive positive results of a post cruise CAT scan and colonoscopy ) . She would be hospitalized for 10 days post op if the surgery is done using laparoscopic surgery , or 14 days if it requires a surgical incision .

Yes, the big difference between a cruise and an expedition is landing. Landing would be phenomenal, but my wife has a fear of ice (had a fall and broke her back and arm/wrist) so we went with the cruise. Fantastic and it will do me. You still get close up and personal with the penguins and you still see all the beauty and other wildlife with the comfort of a 5 star cruise for about 25% the cost. :D

The cruise definitely makes good sense and would allow us to spent a week post cruise exploring Torres del Paine and Bernardo O 'Higgins National Park . This would probably be the most likely scenario , But landing on the continent would be so cool ! :cool:

The cruise definitely makes good sense and would allow us to spent a week post cruise exploring Torres del Paine and Bernardo O 'Higgins National Park . This would probably be the most likely scenario , But landing on the continent would be so cool ! :cool:

Yeah, we combined the two week cruise with a three week tour of South America (Brazil, Argentina and Peru) and then a week in Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands. It was awesome.

I do hope that Everything goes well with the cruise and subsequent tests and surgery. Perhaps the 10 day laparoscopic option will be better for Pat's and your sanity and well being.

Yeah, we combined the two week cruise with a three week tour of South America (Brazil, Argentina and Peru) and then a week in Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands. It was awesome.

I do hope that Everything goes well with the cruise and subsequent tests and surgery. Perhaps the 10 day laparoscopic option will be better for Pat's and your sanity and well being.

Yes Mic , that sounds like a great adventure in SA . :) :D And thanks for the well wishes . The Dr. and us want the Laparo version but it's all based on the results of her tests .

Yes, the big difference between a cruise and an expedition is landing. Landing would be phenomenal, but my wife has a fear of ice (had a fall and broke her back and arm/wrist) so we went with the cruise. :D

We're sorry to hear about Rosie's accident and we hope that she is well and fully recovered . I'm sorry that I missed the part about her accident , we we're leaving early this morning to drive up to visit my mom in Melbourne - and I totally missed it !! Pat has osteoporosis and so slipping and falling is not a good option for her either , so a landing on the continent probably won't happen - but I can dream . ;)

Yes Mic , that sounds like a great adventure in SA . :) :D And thanks for the well wishes . The Dr. and us want the Laparo version but it's all based on the results of her tests .

We're sorry to hear about Rosie's accident and we hope that she is well and fully recovered . I'm sorry that I missed the part about her accident , we we're leaving early this morning to drive up to visit my mom in Melbourne - and I totally missed it !! Pat has osteoporosis and so slipping and falling is not a good option for her either , so a landing on the continent probably won't happen - but I can dream . ;)

No worries, Rosie is fine now although her back still plays up occasionally and she will never get full use/movement of her arm/wrist however, the biggest thing is the fear of walking on or near Ice and snow.:(

In every day life, it doesn't matter here but it does cut out a lot of the world for a lot of the year when considering travel.

Hope your visit with your Mum (the drive) goes well.:D

On our second evening in London we headed out for a proper pint and dinner at the local pub .

DSC03520_zpsrsb5ehzh.jpg

Where we sampled the local brew for the first round

DSC03522_zpssdda4bpm.jpg

And with dinner ordered , we settled in

DSC03521-001_zpsea0ijxos.jpg

And with mostly late 60's music playing we felt right at home

DSC03525_zps86bqjjvr.jpg

Joe, I got all excited when I thought you and Pat had gone ahead and booked the Silversea cruise to Antarctica! That would be a true bucket list cruise for me, too! I think I agree with Mic though, for the price difference I'd be going for the cruise rather than the landing on the continent. Besides, I haven't even been able to get Barry to agree to Alaska yet, never mind Antarctica! Cold climates are definitely NOT on his bucket list! :eek:

If you do book any of the Antarctica cruises, I will definitely be wanting to see those pictures!

Yeah we're starting to get happy feet ! :) :D Pat will probably be doing the Regal wave on our aft cabin balcony and I'll be waving my camera ( and maybe taking a few photos ) . ;)

Meanwhile , on the home front , Pat's surgeon cleared her for a reversal surgery ( based on if we receive positive results of a post cruise CAT scan and colonoscopy ) . She would be hospitalized for 10 days post op if the surgery is done using laparoscopic surgery , or 14 days if it requires a surgical incision .

Great news about Pat's clearance for the reversal surgery. I am sure you will both enjoy your Regal cruise a lot more knowing that clearance has been given. Besides, enjoying your memories of the Regal cruise will be a good way to brighten your spirits during Pat's recovery. Hopefully, the laproscopic surgery will be ablemto be done.

I will be watching for you two on your aft balcony during sailaway. I'll be the one frantically waving at my computer screen! Did you send a "request a wave" to the people at PE Webcam? I have had some pretty good luck getting on camera when I have done that on our cruises.

I will be watching for you two on your aft balcony during sailaway. I'll be the one frantically waving at my computer screen! Did you send a "request a wave" to the people at PE Webcam? I have had some pretty good luck getting on camera when I have done that on our cruises.

I didn't know you could do this, sounds cool.

The governor of Florida issued a warning concerning the Zika virus in Florida including Miami . Also , the first case of the virus being transmitted in the US has been noted , and it was believed to have been transmitted through sexual contact . :eek:

Gov. Scott declares Zika virus health emergency in 4 Florida counties

UPDATED 8:46 PM EST Feb 03, 2016

TAMPA, Fla. —Gov. Rick Scott has declared a health emergency in four counties due to the Zika virus.

At least nine cases of the mosquito-borne illness have been detected in Florida. Health officials believe all of the cases are from people who contracted the disease while traveling to affected countries.

Scott signed the order Wednesday to cover Miami-Dade, Lee, Hillsborough and Santa Rosa counties.

The Zika virus is linked to brain deformities in babies and is causing concern among public health officials worldwide. The virus is primarily spread through mosquito bites, but investigators had been exploring the possibility it could be sexually transmitted.

U.S. health officials say a person in Texas became infected with Zika through sex, in the first case of the illness being transmitted within the United States.