Total Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Tradewinds Transatlantic crossing 2015

scubacruiserx2

It is in Harrod's and is a tribute to her.:D

Thanks Mic for sharing this and we must plead ignorance , we didn't know about the memorial in Harrods as we were just food shopping .

And thanks for sharing the information as it will help the readers choose if this is something that they would like to see .

After leaving Harrods we headed down Brompton Road to the Oratory .

DSC03475_zpslao7z3ro.jpg

For a quick peek inside . We later found out that Alfred Hitchcock was married here .

IMG_136120Stitch-001_zpslxn51wr4.jpg

A little further was the Victoria and Albert Museum

96cd8c5d-2762-4ecf-b865-72a3fce58410_zpss99zfd0r.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_and_Albert_Museum

And the massive Natural History Museum

IMG_1364_zpsvbxrkx9p.jpg

IMG_1370_zpsgdtt8qan.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_History_Museum,_London

This beautiful photo is the work of Dilff and from the wikipedia article .

1280px-Natural_History_Museum_London_Jan_2006%201_zps0fmrqr3k.jpg

We had hoped to visit these museums on the following day when we had more energy !

Joe and Pat, saw some pretty wild weather footage from your part of Florida on the Weather Channel today. Hope none of the damage was close to you or your family. All we got here was about an inch of rain.

That cake in Harrods was beautiful, but for that price? I don't think so! :eek:

I would love to visit the Natural History museum. :cool:

--

You need plenty of stamina!

That and the Science Museum next door are free as they are National Museums, but charges apply for the IMAX 3D Theatre, simulators and for some special exhibitions.

Edited by upwarduk

That and the Science Museum next door are free as they are National Museums, but charges apply for the IMAX 3D Theatre, simulators and for some special exhibitions.

Plenty of energy and time is required to see them at their best.:D

That's a big part of my motivation for doing my recent hip and knee replacement surgeries! I haven't been able to be on my feet that long due to the pre surgery pain. Now that the required repairs have been made, I have to get my stamina back so I'll be able to go do these fun things I've been wanting to do. Keeps me working really hard at my rehab! :D

If our Central Florida weather is as good as they are predicting for this weekend I just may reward myself with a Disney World run and see how that goes.

Joe and Pat, saw some pretty wild weather footage from your part of Florida on the Weather Channel today. Hope none of the damage was close to you or your family. All we got here was about an inch of rain.

That cake in Harrods was beautiful, but for that price? I don't think so! :eek:

No tornadoes for us ( or Port Everglades ) but we did get about 6 " of rain .

That's a big part of my motivation for doing my recent hip and knee replacement surgeries! I haven't been able to be on my feet that long due to the pre surgery pain. Now that the required repairs have been made, I have to get my stamina back so I'll be able to go do these fun things I've been wanting to do. Keeps me working really hard at my rehab! :D

If our Central Florida weather is as good as they are predicting for this weekend I just may reward myself with a Disney World run and see how that goes.

It will be well worth it , and your stamina will return , after you get through the break in period of the new hardware . ;) Great news , it sounds like you are doing well if you're up for a run ! Pat wants her knee hardware removed and her colon reversal ASAP but both of the surgeons are recommending to wait until after the June cruise , and I'm a bit selfish , not wanting her to return to the hospital any time soon ! :) :D

Edited by scubacruiserx2

No tornadoes for us ( or Port Everglades ) but we did get about 6 " of rain .

It will be well worth it , and your stamina will return , after you get through the break in period of the new hardware . ;) Great news , it sounds like you are doing well if you're up for a run ! Pat wants her knee hardware removed and her colon reversal ASAP but both of the surgeons are recommending to wait until after the June cruise , and I'm a bit selfish , not wanting her to return to the hospital any time soon ! :) :D

Glad to hear the tornadoes weren't near you. I am not sure how much rain we have had here, but I may soon be able to claim our house as waterfront property. Good thing the next few days will be sunny because the Florida swampland behind us has been filling with water.

Pat, I didn't realize you still had so much hardware that will need to be removed. I am sure you will be glad when it is gone, but your patience now will be rewarded with better recovery results in both cases by waiting until your surgeons say you are ready. I know that you know these things can't be rushed, and besides, your cruise is right around the corner. Go, relax and enjoy the cruise. You both deserve a cruise after all you've been through. Besides, you will be well refreshed and ready to go when the time comes for hardware removal.

Joe, I liked the picture showing the animals on top of the museum that you posted for Mic. I was wondering what animals he was talking about because I couldn't see them very well in the other pictures. I get it now!

Glad to hear the tornadoes weren't near you. I am not sure how much rain we have had here, but I may soon be able to claim our house as waterfront property. Good thing the next few days will be sunny because the Florida swampland behind us has been filling with water.

Pat, I didn't realize you still had so much hardware that will need to be removed. I am sure you will be glad when it is gone, but your patience now will be rewarded with better recovery results in both cases by waiting until your surgeons say you are ready. I know that you know these things can't be rushed, and besides, your cruise is right around the corner. Go, relax and enjoy the cruise. You both deserve a cruise after all you've been through. Besides, you will be well refreshed and ready to go when the time comes for hardware removal.

Joe, I liked the picture showing the animals on top of the museum that you posted for Mic. I was wondering what animals he was talking about because I couldn't see them very well in the other pictures. I get it now!

Yes, it was great of Joe, they are easily missed. I like architecture and noticed them when I was first there, I thought it very apt for the Natural History Museum.

The time will pass quickly and both of you will be fully recovered.

Amen on the rain Nancy , we've had a lot this year in our traditionally dry season and we may soon be hearing the soft buzzing sound of the unofficial Florida state bird ! :eek:

florida20state20bird_zpsmj3mqhze.jpg

Patty doesn't have a lot of hardware but she did develop a bone spur on her knee which we thought may have been a screw head .

30719d80-b238-4b43-9be0-c4790312ca75_zps0hmmrpcw.jpg

It's the source of her current discomfort and the surgeon has promised to remove it along with the hardware , so she's ready when he is . ;)

The animals were nicely spotted by Mic when he visited there and had I taken my telephoto I could have gotten a nice close up . Perhaps in June when we hope to visit again . :) :D

Watch those mosies, they carry can all sorts of diseases and viruses like malaria and dengue, yellow fever along with the chickunga and now zika as well.:(

Thanks again Mic for the excellent warning , and it's very important for visitors coming to Florida during peak cruise season now !! In fact , we received this warning in an Email from Princess for our upcoming cruise .

ZIKA VIRUS ADVISORY

On January 15, 2016 the US CDC upgraded their travel notice for Zika virus to Alert Level 2 (practice enhanced precautions). Zika virus is transmitted by mosquitoes, and symptoms include fever, headache, red eyes, rash, and joint pain. The illness is usually mild and lasts between 2-7 days. However, the alert specifically references women who are pregnant or who are trying to become pregnant. (http://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/question-answers.html). The notice currently only affects specific cruises calling in to certain Caribbean, Central America, and South America countries. However, the situation is evolving so please regularly check the affected areas via the following links: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices and http://www.paho.org/hq/. Guests are reminded to take enhanced precautions against biting insects by covering exposed skin, and using insect repellent. Comprehensive health information can be found at: http://www.cdc.gov/zika/index.htm

Here's the statement from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention

Media Statement

For Immediate Release: Tuesday, January 26, 2016

(404) 639-3286

CDC is working with other public health officials to monitor for ongoing Zika virus‎ transmission. Today, CDC added the following destinations to the Zika virus travel alerts: United States Virgin Islands and Dominican Republic. Previously, CDC issued a travel alert (Level 2-Practice Enhanced Precautions) for people traveling to regions and certain countries where Zika virus transmission is ongoing: the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory; Barbados; Bolivia; Brazil; Cape Verde; Colombia; Ecuador; El Salvador; French Guiana; Guadeloupe; Guatemala; Guyana; Haiti; Honduras; Martinique; Mexico; Panama; Paraguay; Saint Martin; Samoa; Suriname; and Venezuela. Specific areas where Zika virus transmission is ongoing are often difficult to determine and are likely to continue to change over time.

As more information becomes available, CDC travel alerts will be updated. Travelers to areas where cases of Zika virus infection have been recently confirmed are at risk of being infected with the Zika virus. Mosquitoes that spread Zika are aggressive daytime biters, prefer to bite people, and live indoors and outdoors near people. There is no vaccine or medicine available for Zika virus. The best way to avoid Zika virus infection is to prevent mosquito bites.

Some travelers to areas with ongoing Zika virus transmission will become infected while traveling but will not become sick until they return home. Some people who are infected do not have any symptoms. Symptoms include fever, rash, joint pain, and red eyes. Other commonly reported symptoms include muscle pain and headache. The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from several days to a week. Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon and case fatality is low. Travelers to these areas should monitor for symptoms or illness upon return. If they become ill, they should tell their healthcare professional where they have traveled and when.

Until more is known, CDC continues to recommend that pregnant women and women trying to become pregnant take the following precautions:

Pregnant women should consider postponing travel to the areas where Zika virus transmission is ongoing. Pregnant women who must travel to one of these areas should talk to their doctor or other healthcare professional first and strictly follow steps to avoid mosquito bites during the trip.

Women trying to become pregnant should consult with their healthcare professional before traveling to these areas and strictly follow steps to prevent mosquito bites during the trip.

Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) has been reported in patients with probable Zika virus infection in French Polynesia and Brazil. Research efforts will also examine the link between Zika and GBS.

###

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES

Prevention is the key , so use repellent !! . While Zika isn't currently epidemic here , visitors who become infected in foreign ports could bring Zika back to the US and transmit it to local mosquitos !! :eek:

Some cruise friends of ours from Florida did a cruise around Cuba a few months ago and one of them has been sick ever since. They have just been diagnosed with Dengue fever and will miss out on their next trip (India for a month and a half) in a few weeks time. Needless to say, apart from being sick, he is very disappointed.

Some cruise friends of ours from Florida did a cruise around Cuba a few months ago and one of them has been sick ever since. They have just been diagnosed with Dengue fever and will miss out on their next trip (India for a month and a half) in a few weeks time. Needless to say, apart from being sick, he is very disappointed.

Wow , that's scary and horrible that they are sick , and had to miss their trip . :eek: Many people die from Dengue every year , so here's hoping for a full and speedy recovery for your friends !

Edited by scubacruiserx2

I would like to continue our narrative and photo session in London but my image and video hosting and website is performing maintenance - again , so I can't upload any photos to CC . Meanwhile , I found a super video of St. Petersburg using a drone camera . I want one ! ;)

Edited by scubacruiserx2

I would like to continue our narrative and photo session in London but my image and video hosting and website is performing maintenance - again , so I can't upload any photos to CC . Meanwhile , I found a super video of St. Petersburg using a drone camera . I want one ! ;)

Very cool.:cool:

BTW, the friends live in or near Sarasota.:D

After returning to the studio for lunch and a rest we set out to look for a soccer ( football for the rest of the world ) jersey for our grandson who is a very good player . We went North to High Street and the Kensington tube station to look for some sporting goods stores .

DSC03483_zpskycdwkhu.jpg

Along the street we saw this folding bike in a shop which is very clever .

DSC03481_zpse42ycone.jpg

And Pat's favorite game addiction showed up on 4 wheels .

DSC03482_zpskcmy5svd.jpg

It seemed that bicycles were the theme for the day

DSC03486_zpspgtcm36j.jpg

DSC03505_zpskmlpffoz.jpg

We couldn't locate any of the jerseys that our grandson wanted so we thought that we would buy him one when we returned home . On our return walk we passed this entry door and I really liked the brick work and rosettes !

DSC03509-002_zps5etlsgqk.jpg

Hey scubacruiserx2 - we're stopping in Gijon on our cruise in April, and would love to go to the Picos de Europa. In the Spain board, you mentioned (and had great pictures) that you did a tour to get there. Was it ship sponsored or private?

Thanks!

Joanna

Hey scubacruiserx2 - we're stopping in Gijon on our cruise in April, and would love to go to the Picos de Europa. In the Spain board, you mentioned (and had great pictures) that you did a tour to get there. Was it ship sponsored or private?

Thanks!

Joanna

Hello Joanna , great name ( also our youngest daughter's name ) ! We did our tour with Celebrity and we really wanted to see the mountains . Here's the view from the port .

Transatlantic20092000120-20Copy-001_zpskyark5mx.jpg

After leaving the port we went along the coast

Transatlantic200920011_zpsx2l39hw9.jpg

First stop was at viewpoint

f729d410-5c8e-47f4-a8fb-6922f6ed18de_zpsf2nro67j.jpg

Transatlantic200920006_zps7elyq27u.jpg

Next stop was the Santuario de Covadonga

Transatlantic200920016_zpsqapronpg.jpg

Transatlantic200920Joe20288_zps90crhaie.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Cueva_de_Covadonga

The guide told us as we left the viewing area that we wouldn't have time to get closer to the mountains in order to complete the rest of the tour ( more to come later ) .