Help with an upsell

Drewgirl

IMO, I think Princess is moving away from free upgrades to upsells to help fill the ship. I like it, because one gets to choose from the available cabins.

If you get a free upgrade you can also call and switch to another available cabin in the upgraded category.

Is there a difference between an upsell and an upgrade? When I booked this cruise I told the agent Do Not Upgrade. But now I got this email for an Upsell to a balcony. Just wondering if there is a difference.
Upsell you pay for, an upgrade is free,
As san diego sue posted, upgrades are free. If you select Do Not Upgrade you will not be upgraded (except in very rare instances). An upgrade can be to the same type of cabin such as Cat BE balcony to Cat BA balcony (most common upgrade) or to a different type of cabin such as balcony to mini-suite. You are not notified in advance of an upgrade and if you don't like the upgraded cabin you have to contact Princess to get your original cabin back.

You can also select a "meta" upgrade. In this case you will only be upgrade to a better type of cabin such as balcony to mini-suite.

You are notified in advance of an upsell which has an additional fee. Upsells can be offered to many more people than available upsell cabins. If you like the upsell offer contact Princess or your TA immediately if you want to take advantage of the upsell offer.

ARRGH, so you all got me excited.....I'd already left a phone message within minutes of receiving the upsell email, and I haven't heard anything back. The email says messages will be handled in the order they're received, but now I'm afraid my cabin will be given away. Waah, what a first-world problem!

:eek:

If you get a free upgrade you can also call and switch to another available cabin in the upgraded category.
On the upsell offers we received, we were able to choose available cabins from all categories. Since we were upgrading from cabins in low categories to cabins in more desireable categories, it made the offer a bit more attractive. Edited by billco

Well, the upsell offer was not even applicable to us! I'm so frustrated. Why would you offer a 4-person cabin an upsell to a window suite that can only accommodate 3 people?!

For the person who asked, the offer was $199 (for the first two people) to upgrade from obstructed oceanview to window suite. The original offer also included the option of going to a balcony, but those are sold out, within 2 hours of the work day beginning. The sales person said I was the 7th call.

I'm so very disappointed. Does this happen often? I called immediately when I got the email message, and although it was a holiday I left a message, but I feel like Princess pulled the rug out from under me.

Edited by Drewgirl

I just got my upsell. Yay! I called this a.m. about 9 a.m. (also last night)and just got a call back about 1 p.m. So I switched from an obstructed view cabin to a balcony cabin for $99 a person. At first I was offered a balcony forward but I asked for something midship and she found us a balcony midship. So excited now.

Drewgirl, It is very common. Emails go out to every booked cabin that meets the inventory needs which is many more than they have room to accommodate; hence the 'call back once and we will return calls in the order taken'. Sounds to me like they overbooked OV guarantees and had some balcony rooms and suites open. Rather than give free upgrades to random people, they sent out a blast email for Upsells and met their inventory needs that way. The big lesson on Upsells is to act fast. And in your case, while waiting for the callback, check occupancy limits. Quite often, upsell cabins will not accomodate four people. People who need HA cabins similarly cannot often take advantage of Upsells or even upgrades.

Edited by cherylandtk

We've only received one upsell offer. I turned it down. We did eventually get an assigned cabin that was an upgrade from the guarantee category but in the same type of cabin (balcony).

If the price were right, I'd take the upsell from an obstructed view to a window suite.

We've received upgrades both times we've booked guarantees for cruises to Alaska. Once was from an obstructed view to an unobstructed one and once was from an obstructed view to a deluxe ocean view with balcony.

Well, the upsell offer was not even applicable to us! I'm so frustrated. Why would you offer a 4-person cabin an upsell to a window suite that can only accommodate 3 people?!

For the person who asked, the offer was $199 (for the first two people) to upgrade from obstructed oceanview to window suite. The original offer also included the option of going to a balcony, but those are sold out, within 2 hours of the work day beginning. The sales person said I was the 7th call.

I'm so very disappointed. Does this happen often? I called immediately when I got the email message, and although it was a holiday I left a message, but I feel like Princess pulled the rug out from under me.

I'm sorry that this didn't work out for you. I know anticipation can be so stressful. If you had mentioned the quad in your original post, you would have saved yourself a lot of heartache. We wouldn't have encouraged you to pursue the Window Suite (that holds 3). I don't understand why Princess made that offer. I don't think a rollaway would also fit with the sofa extended.

You will still enjoy your cruise.

Yes it happens, its luck of the draw. :(

Is there a difference between an upsell and an upgrade? When I booked this cruise I told the agent Do Not Upgrade. But now I got this email for an Upsell to a balcony. Just wondering if there is a difference.

Upgrade: Moving to a higher category cabin.

o It can be free if the upgrade fairy selects you.

o It can be entirely voluntary on your part because you decided you wanted a to purchase a higher category.

o It can be the result of an upsell when Princess contacts you to ask if you want it for a price.

I got our first upsell offer last October for our December cruise. I jumped on it as soon as I got the offer.

I don't think Princess pulled the rug. It's first come, first served. Those that call in quickly and made up their mind got the offer. I mentally prepare myself for what I feel we would pay if an offer comes along so if it does I don't have to check with my husband, etc.

I do think it was a little frustrating of Princess to make you the offer when you had more passengers for the room than space. That was not very nice. I would of been upset too, if I was going to take offer. Hopefully another offer comes your way on another cruise!